Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Aushwitz Trip

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We are planning to go. I think it's so important everyone sees it so it can never happen again.

Anybody been? Any advice?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Yes. Prepare to be shocked.

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

Yes I’ve been a few times ... it’s easy to get the train from krakow and then a short taxi ride to the 1st camp ... with it being yr first time, go on the official tour, u can purchase near the entrance and also they take u over by bus to camp 2 ... it’s well worth it, but it can be a little emotional.... hope this helps

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

I've been twice,

A lot depends on your character and I've seen people totally break down and be sobbing uncontrollably

It's moving

over a year ago

Thanks, great advice. Yeah, I expect it to be emotional. Just a stark reminder of what can happen

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

If I get the chance go over to the brick huts on the left as u go into camp 2 .. and block 13 I think, something in there that really got at me ... but everyone should go only if it makes ppl think this shouldn’t happen again, Sadly it has and will

over a year ago

"If I get the chance go over to the brick huts on the left as u go into camp 2 .. and block 13 I think, something in there that really got at me ... but everyone should go only if it makes ppl think this shouldn’t happen again, Sadly it has and will "

All school children should definitely go. I'd say the same about The Somme Battlefields too

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I wanted to go but my polish friend said I shouldn’t so I didn’t

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

"If I get the chance go over to the brick huts on the left as u go into camp 2 .. and block 13 I think, something in there that really got at me ... but everyone should go only if it makes ppl think this shouldn’t happen again, Sadly it has and will

All school children should definitely go. I'd say the same about The Somme Battlefields too"

Yep there are definitely things that should be taught and not forgotten..

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I don't need to go to have the opinion that it should never happen again. It is a very important part of history though.

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Advice, wrap up warm. It's an incredible experience.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"

All school children should definitely go. I'd say the same about The Somme Battlefields too"

I agree with this.

I have never been but my son went in his final year of School, he also visited the Jewish monument in Berlin and the Jewish quarters in Krakow.

He was most upset at seeing all the children's shoes and peoples belongings on display including the hair.

At Birkenau he said they were segregated, all the dark haired kids had to stand one one side, all fair haired kids the other...

Of course my boy had to stand on the side of the track which took them to the chambers

It is definitely something that needs to be experienced.

By *hMyGawdCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

A very important trip. Especially in this age of rife antisemitism in a certain UK political party

over a year ago

I’ve watched every documentary there is and read so many books, not long finished reading the tattooist of auschwitz (nice Christmas reading choice). I’d like to do the tour but wouldn’t at the same time. It’s heartbreaking. I also can’t stand holocaust deniers, they refuse to believe it happened. It’s just disrespectful to those that survived it and lost loved ones.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

A friend has just come back.

A) there is shitloads of walking, wear comfy shoes.

B) it’s bloody cold, wear something warm.

C) it’s very sad, and some of the places you visit don’t let you walk on certain areas of the camp, you can’t always take photos so listen to the tour guide.

D) the food wasn’t to her liking as it’s local cuisine and she’s a fussy eater.

Every pic i saw her in she looked miserable as sin due to being so cold and knackered from all the walking.

over a year ago

"A friend has just come back.

A) there is shitloads of walking, wear comfy shoes.

B) it’s bloody cold, wear something warm.

C) it’s very sad, and some of the places you visit don’t let you walk on certain areas of the camp, you can’t always take photos so listen to the tour guide.

D) the food wasn’t to her liking as it’s local cuisine and she’s a fussy eater.

Every pic i saw her in she looked miserable as sin due to being so cold and knackered from all the walking."

lol it was definitely a trip for reflection

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

The making of the documentary 'Germman Concentration Camps' by Sidney Bernstein, was shown last night on channel 4, harrowing is an understatement.

A documentary of the liberation of camps like Bergan Belsan and Auschwitz. Accounts by soldiers and real time footage showing death on a massive scale. Bodies rotting being moved by the SS as the Allied troops did not want to do their dirty work. Production and editing teams thought they had seen everything there was to see until they received a reel labelled Dachau.

A period of history that had suffering beyond scale.

over a year ago

I met an old Jewish lady who lived in some apartments I was the cleaning manager for.

She was incredible and this is her sorry.

She was from a wealthy family and the youngest child. Her older brothers had many friends . Her family were captured and she never saw them again but she as a teenager ended up in a camp. She was in line for the chambers when a commotion at the gates stopped the line. A military car with German officer had arrived for a spot check. The officer walked the line and to her surprise the officer was her brother's friend. He smuggled her out somehow (her English was hard to understand)

He took her to a place to get a train that was supposed to take her to safety, but the train was attacked and she and her companions had to run for their lives. She said she ran like a rabbit, travelling companions falling all around her. She eventually made it to safety.

If nothing else it is a remarkable story.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Hi op. I put a similar thread up last year. If you search consentration camps (yes i spelt it wrong on the thread) you will find lots of.information

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Its holocaust memorial day tomorrow.

over a year ago

Save it for the last day of your trip, trust me.

over a year ago

Thanks all,some great advice. We are planning the trip to Krakow when the weather is a tad warmer!

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I've not been to Auschwitz but went to Sachsenhausen cocentration camp a year ago, about 20 miles north of Berlin. It was a sobering place to visit and I spent hours walking around it reading everything and taking it all in.

over a year ago

"I've not been to Auschwitz but went to Sachsenhausen cocentration camp a year ago, about 20 miles north of Berlin. It was a sobering place to visit and I spent hours walking around it reading everything and taking it all in."

I've been there too. Absolutely horrific

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The ignorance of the Holocaust is staggering today. Not been helped by the likes of Facebook which helped promote holocaust deniers. Gay and bisexual men had especially high rates of being exterminated.

I'd plan a great trip to Krakow and visit the camp if you feel able to. When I was there, I didn't feel strong enough, so just enjoyed the lovely city and will go in future.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

when i went we did a 12 day tour of the jewish memorials and concentration camps. Im a very emotional person but in autchwitz i was very sombre but ok. It was about 4 days later when i was back at home that it hit me

Post new Message to Thread