Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Did you know

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Given today’s technology on space flight it would take in the region of 80000 years to fly to the nearest star past our sun

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Proxima is also part of a binary system that has another star called alpha centauri, about 4 light years away.

If travelling at that speed you would find it may 'only' take 80000 years but on earth it would have aged double or maybe treble that.

over a year ago

"Proxima is also part of a binary system that has another star called alpha centauri, about 4 light years away.

If travelling at that speed you would find it may 'only' take 80000 years but on earth it would have aged double or maybe treble that."

Isn’t that only if you travel at light speed

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Given today’s technology on space flight it would take in the region of 80000 years to fly to the nearest star past our sun "

I got that beat - if Voyager 1 was traveling in the direction of the red dwarf Proxima Centauri at a constant velocity of 60,000 km/hr, it would take 76,000 years (or over 2,500 generations) to travel that distance. But if it could attain the record-breaking speed of Helios 2‘s close approach of the Sun – a constant speed of 240,000 km/hr – it would take 19,000 years (or over 600 generations) to travel 4.243 light years.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Are we there yet ...

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Proxima is also part of a binary system that has another star called alpha centauri, about 4 light years away.

If travelling at that speed you would find it may 'only' take 80000 years but on earth it would have aged double or maybe treble that.

Isn’t that only if you travel at light speed "

nope, it’s relative. The men who went to the moon came back very slightly younger than they would have been had they not gone.

By *uciferLingerieMan
over a year ago

Leeds

What about the scenic route??

over a year ago

Isn’t that only if you travel at light speed nope, it’s relative. The men who went to the moon came back very slightly younger than they would have been had they not gone. "

Well done, another physics nerd I see

over a year ago

Isn’t that only if you travel at light speed nope, it’s relative. The men who went to the moon came back very slightly younger than they would have been had they not gone.

Well done, another physics nerd I see "

I just love the numbers and size of the whole cosmos so yea I’m a nerd

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Did you know we have the ability to produce and have produced anti-matter? Only a few nanograms have been produced. According to a report by Dr. Darrel Smith & Jonathan Webby of the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Arizona, an interstellar craft equipped with an antimatter engine could reach 0.5 the speed of light and reach Proxima Centauri in a little over 8 years but would need 815,000 metric tons of antimatter as fuel.

over a year ago

"Did you know we have the ability to produce and have produced anti-matter? Only a few nanograms have been produced. According to a report by Dr. Darrel Smith & Jonathan Webby of the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Arizona, an interstellar craft equipped with an antimatter engine could reach 0.5 the speed of light and reach Proxima Centauri in a little over 8 years but would need 815,000 metric tons of antimatter as fuel. "

Haha I’m sure I read somewhere that the universe isn’t big enough to store all the conventional rocket fuel required if we wanted to use that

over a year ago

Seems the planet is too concerned with this particle that's just 0.1 microns in size than the vast expanse of the cosmos at the minute

over a year ago

Love this...for me that is a good thing as until mankind changes its attitudes I dont think it would be too good a thing for us wandering about the universe..we can t take care of this one beautiful planet. Many years ago I vaguely remember some company in America, of course, offering plots of land on the moon to commercial companies and offering possible neon sign type advertising up in the heavens. Strangely enough the company didn t last very long but even stranger is the fact they had offers to buy!!

over a year ago

"Seems the planet is too concerned with this particle that's just 0.1 microns in size than the vast expanse of the cosmos at the minute "

So what’s your point?

over a year ago

"What about the scenic route?? "

You'd get stopped by the police in Wales.

over a year ago

Ok last night I saw a satellite far brighter and so much faster than any I ve ever seen before..oddly it pulses brightness every few seconds..am presuming its one of the contreversial spacex satellites. Just read lunarland is still operating real estate land on moon, mercury and venus. Of course its not enforceable but some have bought. An acre on the moon will set you back $20! Bloody mankind

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

Not for ayahuasca users! It takes them an hour to travel the universe according to their experiences. Heard that landing is a bit harsh most of the time tho

over a year ago

"Not for ayahuasca users! It takes them an hour to travel the universe according to their experiences. Heard that landing is a bit harsh most of the time tho "

Oòoooh that is potent and erm..uncomfortable juju..lots of projectile vomiting..but is that a small price to pay for universal travel?

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

"Not for ayahuasca users! It takes them an hour to travel the universe according to their experiences. Heard that landing is a bit harsh most of the time tho

Oòoooh that is potent and erm..uncomfortable juju..lots of projectile vomiting..but is that a small price to pay for universal travel? "

That’s the question I ask to myself most days

over a year ago

"Not for ayahuasca users! It takes them an hour to travel the universe according to their experiences. Heard that landing is a bit harsh most of the time tho

Oòoooh that is potent and erm..uncomfortable juju..lots of projectile vomiting..but is that a small price to pay for universal travel?

That’s the question I ask to myself most days "

over a year ago

I love stuff like this.

To put it in perspective, voyager 1 has been travelling through space at 38,000 miles an hour for just over 42.5 years and is still only about 20 light hours away.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"Given today’s technology on space flight it would take in the region of 80000 years to fly to the nearest star past our sun "

I'm sure there will be a few corner shop to stop at along route.

over a year ago

"I love stuff like this.

To put it in perspective, voyager 1 has been travelling through space at 38,000 miles an hour for just over 42.5 years and is still only about 20 light hours away."

I ve just been watching voyager youtube..some of the photos of neptune and uranus are incredible.

over a year ago

"I love stuff like this.

To put it in perspective, voyager 1 has been travelling through space at 38,000 miles an hour for just over 42.5 years and is still only about 20 light hours away."

And similarly to the point I made before; if a person was on board they would have aged less than those 42 years, cant remember the calculation

Post new Message to Thread