Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A tree fell in the forest and there was not another living being there to hear it.

Does it make a sound?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uriousKinksterMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

Duh. It says ouch.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Only if its name is Russel

over a year ago

Durrr does a bear shit in the woods..... what came first the chicken or the egg??

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS
over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

"A tree fell in the forest and there was not another living being there to hear it.

Does it make a sound?"

No, that's a fact, sound is only created by the waves that hit our ears. I learned that in philopsopy first year. However, do we exist is a wider question x

over a year ago

"A tree fell in the forest and there was not another living being there to hear it.

Does it make a sound?

No, that's a fact, sound is only created by the waves that hit our ears. I learned that in philopsopy first year. However, do we exist is a wider question x "

* philosophy

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Does it make a sound?

No, that's a fact, sound is only created by the waves that hit our ears. I learned that in philopsopy first year. However, do we exist is a wider question x "

Insects and birds would have heard it.

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

"Durrr does a bear shit in the woods..... what came first the chicken or the egg??"

That bear should watch out for falling trees, hopefully the noise it makes will warn him.

over a year ago

Does it make a sound?

No, that's a fact, sound is only created by the waves that hit our ears. I learned that in philopsopy first year. However, do we exist is a wider question x

Insects and birds would have heard it."

The question was if there was no living being to hear it

By *wisted VinylMan
over a year ago

Fife

Does it make a sound?

The question was if there was no living being to hear it "

then there would be no trees too surely

over a year ago

Does it make a sound?

then there would be no trees too surely"

Good point, can other trees hear?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

More importantly, when you shut the fridge door, does the light really go off?

By *wisted VinylMan
over a year ago

Fife

"More importantly, when you shut the fridge door, does the light really go off? "

I feel video proof is required

get in the fridge!

over a year ago

Does it make a sound?

Good point, can other trees hear? "

What if I left a tape recorder in the forest? That would record the sound of it falling but no ears around to hear it

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

"More importantly, when you shut the fridge door, does the light really go off?

I feel video proof is required

get in the fridge!"

The light in our fridge went off ages ago and never came back on. I think it objected when we changed our cheesecake diet to a vegetable based one.

By *adetMan
over a year ago

Virtuosa

Surely there would still be a sound wave tho

There are still light waves in a room when the light is on, even if there's nobody in the room

I shall have to Google this at a more sociable hour

over a year ago

Does it make a sound?

What if I left a tape recorder in the forest? That would record the sound of it falling but no ears around to hear it "

True, can't argue with that, but it's still capturing sound waves. If nothing around like that then there would definitely be no noise. Damn, you caught me out

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

Does it make a sound?

What if I left a tape recorder in the forest? That would record the sound of it falling but no ears around to hear it "

This actually sounds like a good point. What if that recorder live streamed the event to people on the other side of the world? Would those ears count even though they were thousands of miles away and the ‘sound’ they heard would be a digitised rendition and not the actual sound at all...

By *wisted VinylMan
over a year ago

Fife

"Surely there would still be a sound wave tho

There are still light waves in a room when the light is on, even if there's nobody in the room

I shall have to Google this at a more sociable hour "

yeah but sound waves are just vibrations until an ear picks them up and interprets them as sound

By *adetMan
over a year ago

Virtuosa

yeah but sound waves are just vibrations until an ear picks them up and interprets them as sound"

But don't they still exist even if no ear perceives them?

over a year ago

yeah but sound waves are just vibrations until an ear picks them up and interprets them as sound

But don't they still exist even if no ear perceives them?"

No x

By *adetMan
over a year ago

Virtuosa

No x "

Wouldn't sound recording instruments pick up sound waves?

over a year ago

I had a similar theoretical debate with someone years ago. There is no way to know if any 2 people see the universe in the same way.

They can look at an object, a tree, associate the same word or colour to it, brown, but there is no way to know if we are actually seeing the same shape and colour as each other

By *roticGoddessXXWoman
over a year ago

Richmond

Does it make a sound?

#

The waves exist, therefore it makes a sound. Whether or not a human hears it is irrelevant.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I had a similar theoretical debate with someone years ago. There is no way to know if any 2 people see the universe in the same way.

They can look at an object, a tree, associate the same word or colour to it, brown, but there is no way to know if we are actually seeing the same shape and colour as each other "

I often think the same thing about colours. Do you see red the same as I do?

over a year ago

No x

Wouldn't sound recording instruments pick up sound waves?"

It would still take ears to hear it

over a year ago

Does it make a sound?

No, that's a fact, sound is only created by the waves that hit our ears. I learned that in philopsopy first year. However, do we exist is a wider question x #

The waves exist, therefore it makes a sound. Whether or not a human hears it is irrelevant."

The waves with interaction with ears creates the sound. Without ears there is no sound

By *wisted VinylMan
over a year ago

Fife

No x

It would still take ears to hear it "

Yes. its simply air currents until the air currents rattle an eardrum then we call it sound

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Does it make a sound?

The question was if there was no living being to hear it "

Oh right, I missed that.

I count trees as living beings though, I believe that to an extent they are sentient.

over a year ago

No x

It would still take ears to hear it "

Does earthquake equipment measure sound waves and represent them as waves on paper?

over a year ago

"I had a similar theoretical debate with someone years ago. There is no way to know if any 2 people see the universe in the same way.

They can look at an object, a tree, associate the same word or colour to it, brown, but there is no way to know if we are actually seeing the same shape and colour as each other

I often think the same thing about colours. Do you see red the same as I do?"

No, many people see orange and brown completely differently

over a year ago

No x

Does earthquake equipment measure sound waves and represent them as waves on paper? "

Yes but that's different from sound

By *ockforplay66Man
over a year ago

Southampton/isle of wight/ everywhere

But don't they still exist even if no ear perceives them?"

Forget philosophy, simple physics dictates that a sound wave, which is just another form of energy transmission, will occur regardless of whether there is anyone there or not. The only think that would prevent sound waves from traveling is a vacuum. If that were the case, any icing creature capable of audio perception would be dead from lack of atmosphere

By *wisted VinylMan
over a year ago

Fife

No x

Does earthquake equipment measure sound waves and represent them as waves on paper? "

thats seismic waves similar but diffrent

over a year ago

No, many people see orange and brown completely differently "

As an archaeologist we were not allowed to record orange as a colour since it's not on the official Munsell Colour Chart

over a year ago

Forget philosophy, simple physics dictates that a sound wave, which is just another form of energy transmission, will occur regardless of whether there is anyone there or not. The only think that would prevent sound waves from traveling is a vacuum. If that were the case, any icing creature capable of audio perception would be dead from lack of atmosphere "

I understand physics but unless there is a receptor to teanslate those waves into sound then there is no sound

over a year ago

As an archaeologist we were not allowed to record orange as a colour since it's not on the official Munsell Colour Chart "

That's really interesting, I guess you had varieties of the shade?

over a year ago

As an archaeologist we were not allowed to record orange as a colour since it's not on the official Munsell Colour Chart

That's really interesting, I guess you had varieties of the shade? "

Petty much. We had to describe it as reddy brown or yellow depending on the shade

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I often think the same thing about colours. Do you see red the same as I do?"

I’d say no. The amount of discussions I have with people who see a different colour than me of an object in front of us. Who is seeing the correct colour ?

over a year ago

That's really interesting, I guess you had varieties of the shade?

Petty much. We had to describe it as reddy brown or yellow depending on the shade

"

Yep, can totally understand that. Archaeology totally fascinates me, a great job.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

I’d say no. The amount of discussions I have with people who see a different colour than me of an object in front of us. Who is seeing the correct colour ? "

If i could transplant my consciousness into someone elses brain, its possible I would see the colours as they see them, what my brain conjures up as red when given the signal from someone elses brain, might be what my conciousness registers as blue, like looking at a photographic negative. Its even possible i would see colours that i have never experienced.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If other life forms in other places in the galaxy were able to detect the tree falling, does it mean that it did? We will need to find all other life forms and investigate their technologies and any senses.

By *oss and SuzieCouple
over a year ago

Porthmadog

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It only makes a sound if there is something to receive the moving air molecules and convert said air molecules into electrical charges, which are then interpreted by whatever receives them. Brain, diaphragm in a microphone etc.

The other answer would be yes it does, but that is simply because we have learned that it would make a sound.

If someone were born completely deaf at birth, and stood watching it fall. They would say it doesn't make a sound

Post new Message to Thread