Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mental health: first aid, self help

Jump to newest

By *naswingdress OP   Woman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

January often sucks. Mental health issues can be exacerbated.

Depression, anxiety, and other issues. Let's talk how to pull ourselves up.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

I have found exercise to be an excellent way to deal with mental illness.

It is difficult to actually get out there and do it, but running for example saved me from many a crises in the last 2.5 years...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I have found exercise to be an excellent way to deal with mental illness.

It is difficult to actually get out there and do it, but running for example saved me from many a crises in the last 2.5 years..."

Absolutely. It's made such a difference to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

My latest technique is thinking of my inner strength and how far I've come. I look back at some of my photos and my smile doesn't reach my eyes. I've blasted through so much, and it's been me, my work. I can and will again, and I can intellectually know this even when I'm in a pit. There's a foothold somewhere in here, etc.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Need this today! Having an unexpected anxiety day.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Been struggling recently xx

Reply privately

By *ustyLeRouxWoman
over a year ago

Brecon

Hugs to all. Anxiety is not fun had it quite some time and still bad at taking my tablets

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Evidence shows having others to talk with uncritically, exercise, reducing and managing stress levels, spending time with nature and knowing and having a plan, should things deteriorate, are amongst the things that will help and support you. Your GP is an important contact, who can also assess you independently and professionally, potentially referring you to other services, where appropriate.

Don't be self-critical, stop it, as it's undermining and replace anything else that you do which is knocking you, with something else which is more nourishing and positive. Be your own best friend, though secure the support of good friends too

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Need this today! Having an unexpected anxiety day. "

Deep breaths. Mindfulness if you know it. Distraction. You've got this x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Need this today! Having an unexpected anxiety day.

Deep breaths. Mindfulness if you know it. Distraction. You've got this x"

Thank you X

I'm going to settle down with some reading and colouring and Buffy before I go to work this evening. Realistically I'm fine - it's pay day so I don't have money to worry about and I have a nice night away to look forward to on Monday. But going into town this morning was a bit brutal. And the heartburn.

Reply privately

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

[Removed by poster at 10/01/20 12:05:03]

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I hate these dark gloomy months. In order to get through them I make loads of plans.

Have booked two trips away for March and April and now looking for Summer.

In turn this gives me motivation to keep in shape so I go to the gym a lot to boost those happy endorphins.

Also work on my house and study to avoid the gloom setting in.

Reply privately

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

Having something to look forward to. (If you love the sun then plan-book a nice holiday)

Remembering to be kind to yourself. It is okay to not be okay, for a little while.

Talking to your friends. There's strength in asking for help and relief in talking through your concerns.I

Know that help is available and that if you've recognised you are feeling down, you've cleared the biggest hurdle.

Look at your routines, can a tweak in your routine make a positive impact to you?

Off the top of my head

Reply privately

By *andKBCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

I'm currently awaiting a decision and diagnosis from my local CMHT. The guy I saw for my assessment discussed mindfulness and suggested yoga.

For me my weight has a massive impact on my mental health. I binge eat when I'm low then end up suffering with my mental health because of my appearance!! I gained so much weight last year in the last 4 months of the year I hate myself now!! No matter how much C tells me otherwise.

For me when I'm suffering with anger lifting weights in the gym really helps. I've let my membership lapse sadly but I will be going back!!

Reply privately

By *nnocentimesMan
over a year ago

over there by that tree

I got taught decompression techniques back in 2016 after a horrendous incident at work, counselling helped a lot.

It’s perfectly ok to scream and cry.

If anyone needs to talk my inbox is always open - can be about anything.... don’t struggle alone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Does anyone else get really really really FED UP when they don't have a reason for their mental health being a bit shit?

Like I'd be more happy if I had a reason for feeling anxious today cos then I could try to explain it to someone. But instead I don't know why I feel like this. Like I'm overthinking everything I do in case it backfires or it goes wrong.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Does anyone else get really really really FED UP when they don't have a reason for their mental health being a bit shit?

Like I'd be more happy if I had a reason for feeling anxious today cos then I could try to explain it to someone. But instead I don't know why I feel like this. Like I'm overthinking everything I do in case it backfires or it goes wrong."

For me there's always a reason. Maybe you, too. Our brains are wired to detect danger (I'm speaking to my anxiety). If we've suffered a lot of danger in the past, particularly unresolved, unresolvable, and/or without clear support at the time, our brains upgrade their alarm systems, because better a false alarm than destruction of self (death or deep trauma).

Your brain is trying to protect you. It might be wrong, you might know it's wrong, but it's doing the best it can to save your life. And treating that process with compassion - yes, it's fucking irritating - stops some of the cycle of getting anxious about your anxiety.

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"Does anyone else get really really really FED UP when they don't have a reason for their mental health being a bit shit?

Like I'd be more happy if I had a reason for feeling anxious today cos then I could try to explain it to someone. But instead I don't know why I feel like this. Like I'm overthinking everything I do in case it backfires or it goes wrong."

Yep on the face of it I have everything good going for me. Yet the darkness of my past follows me.

Reply privately

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

I try to focus on my breathing when anxious to distract myself, doesnt always work though.

Reply privately

By *nnocentimesMan
over a year ago

over there by that tree

For me it’s been lots of small things, but when you stack lots of small things quite high they have a tendency to topple over. The hardest part is taking note of the first wobble, then trying to stop the stack growing.

There is lots of positives in what you’re writing so that’s a really good thing.

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"Evidence shows having others to talk with uncritically, exercise, reducing and managing stress levels, spending time with nature and knowing and having a plan, should things deteriorate, are amongst the things that will help and support you. Your GP is an important contact, who can also assess you independently and professionally, potentially referring you to other services, where appropriate.

Don't be self-critical, stop it, as it's undermining and replace anything else that you do which is knocking you, with something else which is more nourishing and positive. Be your own best friend, though secure the support of good friends too "

Your posts really are fantastic. I do all the above and also practise mindfulness - it's not for everyone but it really helps me stop, think and put things in perspective before I spiral into overthinking anxiety.

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Evidence shows having others to talk with uncritically, exercise, reducing and managing stress levels, spending time with nature and knowing and having a plan, should things deteriorate, are amongst the things that will help and support you. Your GP is an important contact, who can also assess you independently and professionally, potentially referring you to other services, where appropriate.

Don't be self-critical, stop it, as it's undermining and replace anything else that you do which is knocking you, with something else which is more nourishing and positive. Be your own best friend, though secure the support of good friends too "

Wonderful post. Very nicely put.

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

I keep taking the tablets. And I've slowly learned that the shit other people put onto me is not my shit and not my responsibility.

Running helped a lot until about three years ago when my hips and knees started to feel the wear, and then a three month winter chest infection led to me giving it up altogether. I've tried to keep myself in reasonable condition still through gentler exercise, though even that has given way this year with another occurance of the bloody chest infection.

Making friends (and i mean friends, not sex partners) through the fab scene has definitely helped and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them again as the spring comes. Funnily it seems to me that with fabsters it's possible to be a lot more open about these MH issues than with supposedly "real world" acquaintances. Maybe when there's people that we're not embarrassed to show our naked bodies to, it's easier to show them our naked minds as well...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly this. I love riding my bike and running. But sometimes I can feel the anxiety building up because I'm going for a ride. Then I get frustrated with myself for being silly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Like I'd be more happy if I had a reason for feeling anxious today cos then I could try to explain it to someone. But instead I don't know why I feel like this. Like I'm overthinking everything I do in case it backfires or it goes wrong.

Exactly this. I love riding my bike and running. But sometimes I can feel the anxiety building up because I'm going for a ride. Then I get frustrated with myself for being silly. "

For me differentiating between anxiety/fear, other adrenaline (sex for example), and exertion, really helps. Might be worth examining the physical sensations and disconnecting them, if that makes sense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

For me there's always a reason. Maybe you, too. Our brains are wired to detect danger (I'm speaking to my anxiety). If we've suffered a lot of danger in the past, particularly unresolved, unresolvable, and/or without clear support at the time, our brains upgrade their alarm systems, because better a false alarm than destruction of self (death or deep trauma).

Your brain is trying to protect you. It might be wrong, you might know it's wrong, but it's doing the best it can to save your life. And treating that process with compassion - yes, it's fucking irritating - stops some of the cycle of getting anxious about your anxiety. "

Wow. Yeah that describes it perfectly actually.

Also much love to all the other replies to my comment. Really helps sometimes when you know you're not alone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Hope it helps

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hope it helps "

It does. I went through counselling last year and learnt a hell of a lot about my brain and why it works like it does. Constant learning process.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've started red January it's doing a daily activity that's good for mind and body .

Its run by the charity Mind

Reply privately

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

Talking to your friends, I think sometimes people feel like they are a burden. Poor finances after Christmas can add to anxiety, reach out for help.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stop and breath.

This may sound too simple but actually very efficient in improving the moment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to get anxiety for a while but one day just snapped out of it was weird

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly this. I love riding my bike and running. But sometimes I can feel the anxiety building up because I'm going for a ride. Then I get frustrated with myself for being silly.

For me differentiating between anxiety/fear, other adrenaline (sex for example), and exertion, really helps. Might be worth examining the physical sensations and disconnecting them, if that makes sense. "

I will give that a try, thanks

Reply privately

By *ad steMan
over a year ago

Southport

After a very angry childhood I learnt how to control and suppress my angriness I no longer get angry I do get annoyed so I just applied that technique to any unwanted feelings I have this is not easy and certainly not for everyone but it does work for me

Reply privately

over a year ago

over thinking is the worst ... Do I do this/ that ... Shall I say this / that .. do they like me .. are they talking about me.. everyone on this chat has their own demons .. myself included ..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"After a very angry childhood I learnt how to control and suppress my angriness I no longer get angry I do get annoyed so I just applied that technique to any unwanted feelings I have this is not easy and certainly not for everyone but it does work for me"

It's so different for all of us. Sometimes in ways that are gendered.

I wasn't safe to get angry when I was a child. So it became anxiety and self loathing.

I've had to learn how to get angry safely. It's protective. Not everything is my fault (some things are! That hasn't changed! But I can reflect and not just beat myself up)

I have worth, I am worthwhile, that's worth defending. I feel my anger in response to that. It's fucking liberating.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ive got extra appointments with my cpn and pysiciatrist so they can momitor me and jay and I have made a plan of all the nice things we want to do this year

Reply privately

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Meditation outdoors helps me and I am starting to combine this with outdoor yoga to refocus and calm

Reply privately

By *urvyandCurious999Woman
over a year ago

Hiding from twats

I used to just bottle everything up, but now if I'm having a rough time I make sure I tell people, just having someone to chat to really helps. And long walks with the dogs, or flinging a kettlebell around. I try not to drink alcohol because that just makes me feel worse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm keeping somewhat regular appointments with my doctor and I'm waiting for another round of therapy. In the meantime I use self soothing techniques and I look over letters people have written for me in the past, reminding me of how far I've come. That always makes me feel a. It better.

I also have an Instagram account where I post about my recovery and mental illnesses. That's a really useful outlet, almost like a diary.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just remember that some guys who have anxiety and depression it’s not just the feelings you experience. It’s the loss of mojo and all the medications can effect performance. It’s a vicious cycle

Reply privately

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

and positivity to anyone who needs it.

Keep fighting!

Little steps.

Jo.Xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hiding usually works for me. Hide from the world and stay in my own little bubble for a bit until I feel confident enough to come out again

Reply privately

By *ad steMan
over a year ago

Southport

"After a very angry childhood I learnt how to control and suppress my angriness I no longer get angry I do get annoyed so I just applied that technique to any unwanted feelings I have this is not easy and certainly not for everyone but it does work for me

It's so different for all of us. Sometimes in ways that are gendered.

I wasn't safe to get angry when I was a child. So it became anxiety and self loathing.

I've had to learn how to get angry safely. It's protective. Not everything is my fault (some things are! That hasn't changed! But I can reflect and not just beat myself up)

I have worth, I am worthwhile, that's worth defending. I feel my anger in response to that. It's fucking liberating. "

We all have our own ways of dealing with things I am generally a happy person and enjoy life I have the attitude that if you don't like me that is your problem not mine those that are closest to me can freely say if I'm being an ass whole if I agree with them i will change to be a better person but when it comes to anger I don't really want to get too deep on here ear but the last time I got angry it took five men to hold me down and an ambulance to sedate me I wasn't sedated however it did take a long time for me to stop wanting to kill this particular person so I control my anger and any outher emotions that will trigger

A lot of people say it is not healthy the way I deal with things but it does work for me life is too short to be angry at somebody that doesn't matter or angry in the first place

Reply privately

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

I've bought a SAD light. It's helping already.

Exercise does nothing for me, it's just painful and leaves me in tears. Talking to people makes me feel weak and worthless, besides no one to talk to.

Oh and good medication

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m not good at talking to people, I’ve always been the type to bottle things up and work through them in my own mind. I’m not feeling good at the moment as I know I’ve put a lot of weight on due to not being able to exercise. So I’ve felt down and made bad food choices.

I will get back in a better place, I’ve treated myself to a haircut today as a small boost. X

Reply privately

By *rongstantineWoman
over a year ago

hull

A combination of tough love and mindfulness; find time to sit and read, but also put on my big girl pants and sort the stuff I'm avoiding. Self-care to me comes in many forms- exercise, a long bath, new ink, but it's also the nitty gritty of life- eating properly, taking care of financial nonsense and generally attacking life in as many manageable bites as possible, even when I can barely face getting out of bed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don’t know how to feel better at the moment constant feeling of hopelessness

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tough one, professional wise I hate how some people prescribe antidepressants of the bat without consideration, I don’t believe in that method.

Rather get to know somebody’s routine, find out a little more about them & where a trigger point could be seen.

I had a sad phone call yesterday, from a patients family member informing me someone on there street committed, an she was having dark thoughts.

To find out the actual person who committed was a person I knew from school, had a family & kids and what not.

Professionally I had to put a front on, inside I was heartbroken. Such a lovely person gone so soon, I often try & tell people when they are suffering from any sort of mental health issues most important things are having STRUCTURE & someone to TALK to.

Whomever it may be, you aren’t alone. People will listen & to the people listening, please be patient, please be considerate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Tough one, professional wise I hate how some people prescribe antidepressants of the bat without consideration, I don’t believe in that method.

Rather get to know somebody’s routine, find out a little more about them & where a trigger point could be seen.

I had a sad phone call yesterday, from a patients family member informing me someone on there street committed, an she was having dark thoughts.

To find out the actual person who committed was a person I knew from school, had a family & kids and what not.

Professionally I had to put a front on, inside I was heartbroken. Such a lovely person gone so soon, I often try & tell people when they are suffering from any sort of mental health issues most important things are having STRUCTURE & someone to TALK to.

Whomever it may be, you aren’t alone. People will listen & to the people listening, please be patient, please be considerate. "

But what if there is no one to reach out too ? The meds aren’t helping

Reply privately

over a year ago

Professionally, I would advise to call 111 at a very serious cause ring 999.

I’d hope everyone does have somebody, breaks my heart knowing some people don’t.

Reply privately

By *moothCriminal_xMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"January often sucks. Mental health issues can be exacerbated.

Depression, anxiety, and other issues. Let's talk how to pull ourselves up. "

Exercise

Learn something new -a skill or subject.

Be outside

Make plans

When i was depressed it was horrendous and i look back and it scares me the idea of going back there. Im not sure it was anything more than time in the end though

Reply privately

By *merald Eyes XWoman
over a year ago

Can you find me….

[Removed by poster at 10/01/20 18:22:57]

Reply privately

By *merald Eyes XWoman
over a year ago

Can you find me….

I’ve found exercising works, gym, walking dog, reading, crosswords and cleaning the house with the music blaring!!!

Reply privately

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

"Tough one, professional wise I hate how some people prescribe antidepressants of the bat without consideration, I don’t believe in that method.

"

In an ideal world we'd all have access to decent psychological help. We don't. Anti-depressants have saved many people, certainly the only reason I'm still here.

"I often try & tell people when they are suffering from any sort of mental health issues most important things are having STRUCTURE & someone to TALK to.

"

When I'm at my worst I'd just find that patronising and unhelpful.

"

Whomever it may be, you aren’t alone. People will listen & to the people listening, please be patient, please be considerate. "

We are all alone. You can never be in someone else's mind and feel their pain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We all have bad days. I have GADD so I expect them now! I cope by focussing on good things to come, plan things that will make me happy, put music on loud and sing & dance, try to stop my brain from overthinking and going into hyperdrive. Time spent with friends is always good. But for me, having things to look forward to is vital.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"We all have bad days. I have GADD so I expect them now! I cope by focussing on good things to come, plan things that will make me happy, put music on loud and sing & dance, try to stop my brain from overthinking and going into hyperdrive. Time spent with friends is always good. But for me, having things to look forward to is vital. "

Having a list of coping mechanisms is vital, isn't it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Walking I find helps to clear your mind,especially taking the dogs. Any exercise helps but I don’t go setting myself targets just in case something comes up. But a simple walk in the fresh air can make you feel so much better

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Walking I find helps to clear your mind,especially taking the dogs. Any exercise helps but I don’t go setting myself targets just in case something comes up. But a simple walk in the fresh air can make you feel so much better "

When I know I've got the time for the gym, I absolutely set myself targets. Must get through this set. Focus on the strain in the muscles. Etc.

To each their own of course

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Walking I find helps to clear your mind,especially taking the dogs. Any exercise helps but I don’t go setting myself targets just in case something comes up. But a simple walk in the fresh air can make you feel so much better

When I know I've got the time for the gym, I absolutely set myself targets. Must get through this set. Focus on the strain in the muscles. Etc.

To each their own of course "

I agree with those targets,if you go to the gym then definitely set them. Feels so good when you hit them. I was more along the lines of I don’t say I’m going there at least four times a week in case something comes up and I then beat myself up over it. I take the dogs out daily and after a bath feel so much better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Walking I find helps to clear your mind,especially taking the dogs. Any exercise helps but I don’t go setting myself targets just in case something comes up. But a simple walk in the fresh air can make you feel so much better

To each their own of course

I agree with those targets,if you go to the gym then definitely set them. Feels so good when you hit them. I was more along the lines of I don’t say I’m going there at least four times a week in case something comes up and I then beat myself up over it. I take the dogs out daily and after a bath feel so much better. "

Definitely. Do what you can do and get what you can from it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exercise, music and just take yourself away from that which brings you down (where you can) even if just for a short while. It all helps get a different perspective on things. X

Reply privately

over a year ago

There’s a lot of good advice on here off some nice people on forums. Always good to know it’s not the stigma it used to be

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"There’s a lot of good advice on here off some nice people on forums. Always good to know it’s not the stigma it used to be "

Anyone who judges you for your psychological struggles can piss off. It's 2020, psychological issues are real and can be debilitating, and those who refuse to accept that need to do much better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tbh I’m quite fortunate I’ve got a great bunch of mates.(although they don’t know I’m on here! Lol) but if I’m down I know they’ll have my back,and vice versa if needed. Hope you all have someone to talk to,it can be hard sometimes.

Reply privately

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I’ll freely admit I’ve struggled with mental health and been suicidal at times.

Things are better at the moment. I’m another one who is a fan of exercise - makes a massive difference to my sense of well-being. I’m happiest on top of a mountain (or in bed with a nice woman, but that’s a rarity ).

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ll freely admit I’ve struggled with mental health and been suicidal at times.

Things are better at the moment. I’m another one who is a fan of exercise - makes a massive difference to my sense of well-being. I’m happiest on top of a mountain (or in bed with a nice woman, but that’s a rarity ).

"

If you put a mattress on the mountain next time you get lucky you can kill two birds with one stone then!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I exercise. I try and get enough rest. I dont drink alcohol. I try not to eat too much crap. I also accept that I only have limited energy for human contact, that ones quite key. And I find things to look forward too (going away at the end of the month) and always have targets (short and longterm) to train for.

I find January a tough month but I know it will be a tough month and that helps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sharing what I've said to others:-

Be communicative: face to face is best.

If you're struggling, tell someone you trust (or phone Samaritans if that's too hard).

If you're not the one struggling, take opportunities to say hi, start a conversation, check in on colleagues and friends who seem quiet or you've not heard from for a while. Let them know you're thinking of them, that they're acknowledged/valued.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am a mental health first aider, yes it’s a thing trained recently. Through the MHFA, if I can ever help anyone if the need an offload, will listen, genuine offer, check out the ALGEE approach it is so simple and you can always use it on someone you know who may need it. It’s ok not to be ok, remember. Xx

Reply privately

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"I’ll freely admit I’ve struggled with mental health and been suicidal at times.

If you put a mattress on the mountain next time you get lucky you can kill two birds with one stone then! "

Ha ha - that’s pretty much my dream scenario

Reply privately

over a year ago

The other thing I really has found helps is being open. I've tried to kill myself, I was a functioning alcoholic for years, I have at times crippling social anxiety, I have lived through some real crap. I'm not ashamed of any of this. Owning it helps. A lot

Reply privately

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

I know plenty suffering - I am pretty good at bringing myself out of mine but try and help my friends when they sink

Huggles to all x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am a mental health first aider, yes it’s a thing trained recently. Through the MHFA, if I can ever help anyone if the need an offload, will listen, genuine offer, check out the ALGEE approach it is so simple and you can always use it on someone you know who may need it. It’s ok not to be ok, remember. Xx"

I had no idea this was a thing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Great thread OP.

However I think some times you can feel so low that you can just look at it all and it all just becomes text. A lot of it takes effort and when you feel that bad it's hard to have the effort to even function.

But it's ideal when someone is either just starting feeling that way or coming out the other side.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think offering an impartial ear and actually listening to what the person has to say would be a good step towards helping them. Just sounding something out to another person can be relieving in itself. My inner monologue is like a mental PT instructor and a proper hard ass at that. I tell myself off all the time if I start to feel low and find something to distract myself. It's not always fixing a problem but I'm mainly how I deal with the any depressing times.

Reply privately

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Sleep and walks in the fresh air are my go to coping mechanisms. I don’t watch the news or read any news sites, i get my news from the radio so it’s short, concise and not doom ridden, otherwise i overthink and worry about stuff that i have no way of controlling. I have different music playlists to help assist my moods.

And sometimes if i’m feeling sad i like to have a wallow and a cry when my kids have gone to bed. Crying is very cathartic, relaxes you and de stresses you. If you need it, do it. Even if it’s just from watching a film or listening to a sad song.

And lastly i need peace. I have such a hectic ho_elife that just sitting alone, no telly or radio, just the peace and quiet, it is a luxury to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am a mental health first aider, yes it’s a thing trained recently. Through the MHFA, if I can ever help anyone if the need an offload, will listen, genuine offer, check out the ALGEE approach it is so simple and you can always use it on someone you know who may need it. It’s ok not to be ok, remember. Xx"

We've introduced this at work. Because I'm not a first aider I can't do the training. So our 2 mental health first aiders, 1 is toxic and the other is old school 'man up' attitude to mental health.

It's a massive opportunity lost as far as I'm concerned

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am a mental health first aider, yes it’s a thing trained recently. Through the MHFA, if I can ever help anyone if the need an offload, will listen, genuine offer, check out the ALGEE approach it is so simple and you can always use it on someone you know who may need it. It’s ok not to be ok, remember. Xx

We've introduced this at work. Because I'm not a first aider I can't do the training. So our 2 mental health first aiders, 1 is toxic and the other is old school 'man up' attitude to mental health.

It's a massive opportunity lost as far as I'm concerned "

‘Man up’. I hate that saying with a passion

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Great thread OP.

However I think some times you can feel so low that you can just look at it all and it all just becomes text. A lot of it takes effort and when you feel that bad it's hard to have the effort to even function.

But it's ideal when someone is either just starting feeling that way or coming out the other side. "

I know. But it's better to talk about it than not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am a mental health first aider, yes it’s a thing trained recently. Through the MHFA, if I can ever help anyone if the need an offload, will listen, genuine offer, check out the ALGEE approach it is so simple and you can always use it on someone you know who may need it. It’s ok not to be ok, remember. Xx

‘Man up’. I hate that saying with a passion "

That is so wrong for them people to be chosen to do this......worst thing you can say is man up, it’s pathetic and narrow Minded of people to do so. Often bought on by some of their own experiences. It’s important not to judge, just listen and help if you can.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Great thread OP.

But it's ideal when someone is either just starting feeling that way or coming out the other side.

I know. But it's better to talk about it than not. "

Sorry it wasn't meant to put a negative on the thread

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can pull myself up. It’s someone else I need to pull up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Great thread OP.

I know. But it's better to talk about it than not.

Sorry it wasn't meant to put a negative on the thread"

Oh no. Let's tackle it as best we can, if we can. It's hard x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I can pull myself up. It’s someone else I need to pull up. "

I hear you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I will be open and say I have and do suffer with mental health. I self harm, I do no my triggers and I’m “ok” as in I lead a “normal” life. I went for help years ago and had CBT, but it’s hard socialism makes you feel like you need to conform, I don’t fit into conformity

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is so wrong for them people to be chosen to do this......worst thing you can say is man up, it’s pathetic and narrow Minded of people to do so. Often bought on by some of their own experiences. It’s important not to judge, just listen and help if you can. "

It's something I will challenge at some point as I'm involved in a wellness group, my hope is that they've offered it to first aiders first and will open it up across the work force at some point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've had a lot of therapy and have survived numerous suicide attempts. Depression, anxiety, trauma (sort of PTSD), other issues.

It's fucking tough. And it's a lifelong battle.

I am a survivor. I keep fighting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fantastic thread to read and everybody should be so proud of themselves of being aware of this subject matter.....

Just talk people...... seek help, if you have toothache you tell someone.... if you feel down or anxious it is simply the same, please please talk to someone, do not suffer alone...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've had a lot of therapy and have survived numerous suicide attempts. Depression, anxiety, trauma (sort of PTSD), other issues.

It's fucking tough. And it's a lifelong battle.

I am a survivor. I keep fighting. "

My sister is very high up in mental health in Liverpool and her husband is head of safety in altcourse prison. Both have given me support but I find they are numb sometimes, and they don’t see me as a person. ,

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s a great thread OP. It shows no one is on their own and there’s always someone out there to help. I hope you all stay well,and this shows there’s always someone out there who’s willing to lend an ear. Stay safe x

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is so wrong for them people to be chosen to do this......worst thing you can say is man up, it’s pathetic and narrow Minded of people to do so. Often bought on by some of their own experiences. It’s important not to judge, just listen and help if you can.

It's something I will challenge at some point as I'm involved in a wellness group, my hope is that they've offered it to first aiders first and will open it up across the work force at some point. "

If I can help mate I will. Can’t make any guarantees but will try.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/01/20 20:57:43]

Reply privately

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I hate January.

It is grey, dark, exhausting and depressing.

The worst time of year for me.

I want to hibernate. Sleep all the time. To hide away.

I take annual leave from work.

And the next person who advises me to exercise, get outdoors, practice mindfulness etc will have it shoved up their arse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I hate January.

And the next person who advises me to exercise, get outdoors, practice mindfulness etc will have it shoved up their arse."

I think there's a line. These things can help. I advise similarly because it has helped me. For whatever it's worth, and I appreciate your journey is not mine and the answers may be different for you.

But people who think it's a panacea, that it always works, that you don't need anything else, that you haven't worked hard enough on your illness... They can go to hell.

Reply privately

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

"I hate January.

And the next person who advises me to exercise, get outdoors, practice mindfulness etc will have it shoved up their arse."

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I hate January.

This xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I hate January.

It's kind of how I feel at the moment I'm in a real low place and I'm having tests due to health issues, on top of that me and beast have fallen out just when I need the support.

No amount of exercise or mindfulness is going to help fix my issues.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I hate January.

And the next person who advises me to exercise, get outdoors, practice mindfulness etc will have it shoved up their arse.

It's kind of how I feel at the moment I'm in a real low place and I'm having tests due to health issues, on top of that me and beast have fallen out just when I need the support.

No amount of exercise or mindfulness is going to help fix my issues. "

When your low your low, I self harm and I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it. But when people say “ oh you’ve a lovely house” or “ your kids are a credit “. Doesn’t help when I absolutely hate myself and feel awful

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Fantastic thread to read and everybody should be so proud of themselves of being aware of this subject matter.....

Just talk people...... seek help, if you have toothache you tell someone.... if you feel down or anxious it is simply the same, please please talk to someone, do not suffer alone..."

Agree, it's a great thread and definitely something that needs more awareness raised. I'm a big believer in raising awareness and making sure people know thats it okay to not be okay.

I say all this but I'm my own worst enemy. I will move heaven and earth to help friends, family and anyone that needs it. But I can't take my own advice when it comes to my own mental health and find it a lot easier to suffer alone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/01/20 21:53:50]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've had a REALLY bad week...

Been to the gym for a couple of hours to pound it out tonight and then sat in the sauna /steam room for a bit, thinking things through.

Talked to my mum, and actually was one of our best conversations

I feel absolutely flat / empty.. And I tend to make really bad decisions when I'm empty.. Hmmm

Getting my hair cut tomorrow, visiting a friend and then dancing in the evening. Gym again on sunday... Might bake too.. I like to cook, keeps me occupied.. Busy is good

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've had a REALLY bad week...

Been to the gym for a couple of hours to pound it out tonight and then sat in the sauna /steam room for a bit, thinking things through.

I feel absolutely flat / empty.. And I tend to make really bad decisions when I'm empty.. Hmmm

Getting my hair cut tomorrow, visiting a friend and then dancing in the evening. Gym again on sunday... Might bake too.. I like to cook, keeps me occupied.. Busy is good "

Sounds like a perfect weekend, enjoy!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Fantastic thread to read and everybody should be so proud of themselves of being aware of this subject matter.....

Just talk people...... seek help, if you have toothache you tell someone.... if you feel down or anxious it is simply the same, please please talk to someone, do not suffer alone...

Agree, it's a great thread and definitely something that needs more awareness raised. I'm a big believer in raising awareness and making sure people know thats it okay to not be okay.

I say all this but I'm my own worst enemy. I will move heaven and earth to help friends, family and anyone that needs it. But I can't take my own advice when it comes to my own mental health and find it a lot easier to suffer alone. "

Snap I’m the same, I always have been since I was little. X

Reply privately

By *uke OzadeMan
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

Getting my hair cut tomorrow, visiting a friend and then dancing in the evening. Gym again on sunday... Might bake too.. I like to cook, keeps me occupied.. Busy is good "

That’s exactly it! Distraction is key and that’s why I go to the gym. I’ve had a hard couple of months and have probably dwelled on it too much but any distraction is a good distraction. I’ve been reading novels and that’s a great help too. Going away for a couple of weeks soon which might be a rash decision but again, it’s something different and won’t do any harm. I believe shit sorts itself out in the end and maintaining a positive mental approach is vital.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I hate January.

No amount of exercise or mindfulness is going to help fix my issues.

When your low your low, I self harm and I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it. But when people say “ oh you’ve a lovely house” or “ your kids are a credit “. Doesn’t help when I absolutely hate myself and feel awful "

!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hi all I think it good to talk as I had a hard life from been homeless for year and also kissing my parents by the time I was 30 and that my gran parents are still alive also I have autism, when I was homeless i found walking helped also I needed shut myself away and hit a reboot if I feel I need to switch off now I go the Xbox or my computer to shut my self away I have come out the other side of we’re I was I did put a rip around my neck when I was homeless but now I have my own home a trustee of a charity so things do change but it so hard keeping up the brave face autism does not help with the friends thing xx

Massive cuddle or cwtch to everyone who might need it I never judge a book by it cover xxx

Reply privately

By *uriousTwosomeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

One for the guys, Google “Andy’s Man Club”

Me... I just didn’t go back to work lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Keep the mind busy...I lived homeless in a woodland and cut myself off for a month to deal with my stuff...found it had less problems mentally in the woods as my mind was constantly working...finding firewood, lighting fire, cooking, laundry..everyday had stuff to do...don't let the mind go idle..it needs occupying..well works for me

Reply privately

over a year ago

I say all this but I'm my own worst enemy. I will move heaven and earth to help friends, family and anyone that needs it. But I can't take my own advice when it comes to my own mental health and find it a lot easier to suffer alone.

Snap I’m the same, I always have been since I was little. X "

Inbox can be opened if you ever want a chat xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Snap I’m the same, I always have been since I was little. X

Inbox can be opened if you ever want a chat xx"

Thank you x

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

Try to remember how ever dark it feels it will pass, it might be hours, it might be days, it might be weeks but it will pass you will find the light. I may be walking a fragile tight rope but for now at least I am in a good place you will find that too

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"I hate January.

I think there's a line. These things can help. I advise similarly because it has helped me. For whatever it's worth, and I appreciate your journey is not mine and the answers may be different for you.

But people who think it's a panacea, that it always works, that you don't need anything else, that you haven't worked hard enough on your illness... They can go to hell. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Funny isn’t it ive said a few times now how I’ve struggled with Mental health, I’ve actually said twice about self harm and not one person replies. Yet what when a person who is popular even on here posts there’s lots of replies!!!! OMG go Hope your ok are you ok? Omg I’m with you babe. Read back even on this thread

Reply privately

By *omesticflightMan
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

Exercise

Reply privately

By *reya73Woman
over a year ago

Whitley Bay

"Funny isn’t it ive said a few times now how I’ve struggled with Mental health, I’ve actually said twice about self harm and not one person replies. Yet what when a person who is popular even on here posts there’s lots of replies!!!! OMG go Hope your ok are you ok? Omg I’m with you babe. Read back even on this thread "

Sorry you feel you got missed.

Try not to take it personally there's lots of good advice and support here aimed at everyone. And probably a few other unacknowledged comments as there always are.

I've just joined, I spotted you. Sending love x

Reply privately

By *av_55Man
over a year ago

NE

Running

It’s a savour I even if just a few k with music and fresh air

Reply privately

By *av_55Man
over a year ago

NE

Stay strong and avoid the click on here

Don’t become like they are

It’s like watching a load of school

Kids competing .

Best wishes

Reply privately

By *ucky78Woman
over a year ago

liverpool

Hi I’m lisa and I’m not feeling good and I need help

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Funny isn’t it ive said a few times now how I’ve struggled with Mental health, I’ve actually said twice about self harm and not one person replies. Yet what when a person who is popular even on here posts there’s lots of replies!!!! OMG go Hope your ok are you ok? Omg I’m with you babe. Read back even on this thread

Sorry you feel you got missed.

Try not to take it personally there's lots of good advice and support here aimed at everyone. And probably a few other unacknowledged comments as there always are.

I've just joined, I spotted you. Sending love x "

Thank you, I do feel there’s a really big gap on here sometimes (clique) and it’s very sad, some people will pawn themselves over others and be all “ awww hope your ok your such a nice person blah blah” any one else is Sometimes ignored. I send my love and support out to anyone going through mental health and my doors always open x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find having plans helps, being lonely and at a loose end doesn’t help

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hi I’m lisa and I’m not feeling good and I need help "

If you need to talk I’ll listen, genuinely x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Take your medication.

Do not over think things.

Try to think positive.

Remember that you got through yesterday. You will get through today and you will get through tomorrow.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Take your medication.

Do not over think things.

Try to think positive.

Remember that you got through yesterday. You will get through today and you will get through tomorrow."

I’ve heard that somewhere!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Iv done a "living skills" course. I would highly recommend that to everyone to be honest.

So the idea behind it is to give you skills,tools and techniques to manage when life gets through and also to deal with difficult emotions.

I'm currently doing a DBT it's very intense but game changing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Iv done a "living skills" course. I would highly recommend that to everyone to be honest.

So the idea behind it is to give you skills,tools and techniques to manage when life gets through and also to deal with difficult emotions.

I'm currently doing a DBT it's very intense but game changing. "

I’ve done this also.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I now go day to day dont get too overexcited about good things

Reply privately

By *acktar74Man
over a year ago

leeds

"Iv done a "living skills" course. I would highly recommend that to everyone to be honest.

I’ve done this also. "

What is DBT

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve done this also. "

It's hard isn't it!

Like I said very helpful but soooo intense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve done this also. "

But you will probably side swipe my comment as for some reason you always do , don’t know why. Im very involved in mental health and I know my stuff ,

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve done this also.

What is DBT"

dialectical behaviour therapy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve done this also.

But you will probably side swipe my comment as for some reason you always do , don’t know why. Im very involved in mental health and I know my stuff , "

There wes no need for that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/01/20 07:53:01]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Come now girls no fighting

Oh wait what am i saying cat fiiiiiiight

Reply privately

over a year ago

behavioral therapy. Its main goals are to teach people how to live in the moment and not in past

I’ve done this also.

What is DBT"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Come now girls no fighting

Oh wait what am i saying cat fiiiiiiight "

I thought this was a thread about support. None of these last couple of posts seem very supportive. Iv put myself out there to try and help others. I won't bother anymore as it's not worth the hassle. I won't be posting again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Come now girls no fighting

Oh wait what am i saying cat fiiiiiiight

I thought this was a thread about support. None of these last couple of posts seem very supportive. Iv put myself out there to try and help others. I won't bother anymore as it's not worth the hassle. I won't be posting again. "

woah woah woah crikey its a joke to break tension settle down

Reply privately

By *acktar74Man
over a year ago

leeds

Thanks for post OP. Some helpful bits. I tried to take my life last year but failed at that. Ive been to scared to ask for help but i may now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can be as a simple a giving or receiving a good old hug

And the magic words I am here for you anytime anywhere anyplace

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I don’t often get anything like that. I did some years ago but the solution was to join Fab.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thanks for post OP. Some helpful bits. I tried to take my life last year but failed at that. Ive been to scared to ask for help but i may now. "

Please speak with someone, they help , your GP WILL HELP you. If you think your gp won’t help please get in touch, I will point you in the right direction

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

These threads are about support and having a safe space to post your thoughts; not everyone gets a response and do you know what? Yes it can feel a bit crappy especially when you've been a bit vulnerable and are talking about something like mental health - it's a highly emotive subject. When I've posted previously and not had one it does slight a little. But not getting a response doesn't mean that your contribution isn't valued and hasn't been read. Nor that you can't keep posting.

And sometimes I have days where I could merrily shove every last bit of help and advice up the poster's arse. There's no one fit all solution sadly. I do sincerely hope that whatever you do to get through it, you're at least a bit kind to yourself.

Anyway, thanks to threads like these I do feel a lot less alone. Thanks OP and those who have been open about their experiences. x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"These threads are about support and having a safe space to post your thoughts; not everyone gets a response and do you know what? Yes it can feel a bit crappy especially when you've been a bit vulnerable and are talking about something like mental health - it's a highly emotive subject. When I've posted previously and not had one it does slight a little. But not getting a response doesn't mean that your contribution isn't valued and hasn't been read. Nor that you can't keep posting.

And sometimes I have days where I could merrily shove every last bit of help and advice up the poster's arse. There's no one fit all solution sadly. I do sincerely hope that whatever you do to get through it, you're at least a bit kind to yourself.

Anyway, thanks to threads like these I do feel a lot less alone. Thanks OP and those who have been open about their experiences. x"

I totally agree my experience isn’t the same as anyone else’s and I reach out to anyone struggling, please don’t be alone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Anyway, thanks to threads like these I do feel a lot less alone. Thanks OP and those who have been open about their experiences. x"

^^^^ exactly that

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Anyway, thanks to threads like these I do feel a lot less alone. Thanks OP and those who have been open about their experiences. x

^^^^ exactly that "

Hope your ok, I struggle every day, but it’s one day one step, If you need to chat here x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I suffer from anxiety and depression myself so I know about the dark days, sleepiness nights and feeling of worthlessness and anxiety.

There are so many people unaware/ignorant when it comes to mental health and anxiety which is a shame in this day and age.

Sending lots of hugs and comfort to those of you struggling right now

Reply privately

By *ollee78Man
over a year ago

HARROGATE

Me personally

Talking helps, Having good people around who understand the pain that’s unique to the individual

The ole cliche seek help. Talking about it takes away the stigma and the fear of having a mental health problem. Christmas is not a season of goodwill and joy for all. It’s a painful sad time for some and the de clutter after Christmas is a big deal to some.

Exercise and a journal helped me with my recovery

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Running

It’s a savour I even if just a few k with music and fresh air "

It does get the mind racing...puts things in perspective and the adrenalin puts one in a good place

Reply privately

over a year ago

Me personally

Talking helps, Having good people around who understand the pain that’s unique to the individual

The ole cliche seek help. Talking about it takes away the stigma and the fear of having a mental health problem. Christmas is not a season of goodwill and joy for all. It’s a painful sad time for some and the de clutter after Christmas is a big deal to some.

Exercise and a journal helped me with my recovery"

Me personally I’m not a talker, I hate talking so speaking doesn’t help “Talk helps”. So for anyone like myself who finds it hard to “talk “ pm me. There is other avenues

Reply privately

By *ollee78Man
over a year ago

HARROGATE

[Removed by poster at 11/01/20 08:42:06]

Reply privately

By *ollee78Man
over a year ago

HARROGATE

Me personally

Exercise and a journal helped me with my recovery.

Having small goals and plans in the nearby future will have a great impact on you. It will help focus the mind and body

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exercise and surrounding yourself with people who will grow you as a person!

Exercise is the number 1 best help for mental health issues! You can’t be down after you beast a 45 min run/walk/swim, you feel like a winner, and that winning mentality carries over into other aspects of your life. 100% works for me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Me personally

Exercise and a journal helped me with my recovery.

Having small goals and plans in the nearby future will have a great impact on you. It will help focus the mind and body "

Whilst I agree, I will disagree, it works for YOU! Not everyone is like you or me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Exercise and surrounding yourself with people who will grow you as a person!

Exercise is the number 1 best help for mental health issues! You can’t be down after you beast a 45 min run/walk/swim, you feel like a winner, and that winning mentality carries over into other aspects of your life. 100% works for me "

Running helped me ,

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Exercise and surrounding yourself with people who will grow you as a person!

Exercise is the number 1 best help for mental health issues! You can’t be down after you beast a 45 min run/walk/swim, you feel like a winner, and that winning mentality carries over into other aspects of your life. 100% works for me

Running helped me ,

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thanks for post OP. Some helpful bits. I tried to take my life last year but failed at that. Ive been to scared to ask for help but i may now. "

My friend tried to commit suicide this week. Fortunately she called someone. I am currently going through the various emotion of guilt for not being there / wishing I'd done more / sadness / distress / shock... And anger. Its a strange time.

Please, as others have said, reach out for help... I'm no expert but a GP would be a great place - they won't judge, they will only be concerned about how to help. They will also want to talk - remember your conversations are confidential so try to be transparent. If a GP is too hard, google the on-line resouces - they often have helplines.

Good luck with your journey x

Reply privately

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Me personally

Me personally I’m not a talker, I hate talking so speaking doesn’t help “Talk helps”. So for anyone like myself who finds it hard to “talk “ pm me. There is other avenues "

I’m not a talker either - especially with my nearest and dearest.

I have found that long cycle rides help with my mental state, as does music - learning or (as in my case) taking up an instrument afresh is a real refuge.

Reply privately

By *ollee78Man
over a year ago

HARROGATE

Me personally

Me personally I’m not a talker, I hate talking so speaking doesn’t help “Talk helps”. So for anyone like myself who finds it hard to “talk “ pm me. There is other avenues "

You are right, talking about it is not for everyone. What works for you then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

On your good days make lists of things you want to do, just enjoy doing, or things that need doing..... stick said list to somewhere that you'll definitely see it on your not so good days (ie fridge door / snack cupboard etc).

Often just this reminder of what I could be doing is the kickstart I need. ??

Reply privately

By *ollee78Man
over a year ago

HARROGATE

Me personally

Me personally I’m not a talker, I hate talking so speaking doesn’t help “Talk helps”. So for anyone like myself who finds it hard to “talk “ pm me. There is other avenues

I have found that long cycle rides help with my mental state, as does music - learning or (as in my case) taking up an instrument afresh is a real refuge."

I wasn’t a talker either, I did foolishly try and battle through alone. I thought I could keep it buried and deal with it myself. I did learn to open up and talk to both friends and professional people. I am an ex serving military man so talking about my feelings was tough. Writing out to the universe, mindfulness, sleep and experiences have helped me massively

Reply privately

By *elloIntrigueMan
over a year ago

North West UK

I'm always keen to offer support to these threads.

It's important to keep raising this issue and typing about it.

That internal battle we all face and everyones triggers and circumstances are different.

My own experiences and the support I received have taught me to step back and breathe, reflect and move on. I know it's a personal thing but if I find that cloud moving in, I look at how far I have come and always try and cling to the positivity.

For a time I jounaled and I know that approach works for me as an outlet if it's taken over.

I'm quite fortunate at present, I win most days and life has been on a generally upward curve for six months. I'm enjoying what I'm doing with work and thats important to me while strangely, I'm waiting for things to change as I know they will and preparing myself.

Remember to love yourself first and foremost and not listen too intently to that self critical internl monologue.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m on meds but I notice over time my body starts to adjust to them and they seem to have no affect or very little so I feel I have to up the dose . Ie I’m on sleeping tabs they worked for a while until renenty I had to start taking ten times my dose just to feel tired. Has any one else ever got this

Reply privately

over a year ago

Me personally

I have found that long cycle rides help with my mental state, as does music - learning or (as in my case) taking up an instrument afresh is a real refuge.

I wasn’t a talker either, I did foolishly try and battle through alone. I thought I could keep it buried and deal with it myself. I did learn to open up and talk to both friends and professional people. I am an ex serving military man so talking about my feelings was tough. Writing out to the universe, mindfulness, sleep and experiences have helped me massively "

Yes I opened up to one family member, who helped me massively, however she still didn’t “understand “. Most people don’t understand self harm and think it’s a “ look at me” thing.

It’s far from it. I myself hide it and I’m embarrassed

Reply privately

over a year ago

just broke up with the female I love, cant sleep, cant think, cant do anything without her being in my thoughts, not even looking on here, just chatting on forums,

I miss her so much, life aint worth living without her

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just broke up with the female I love, cant sleep, cant think, cant do anything without her being in my thoughts, not even looking on here, just chatting on forums,

I miss her so much, life aint worth living without her"

Oh please don’t think you’d alone , hope you’re ok. X

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just broke up with the female I love, cant sleep, cant think, cant do anything without her being in my thoughts, not even looking on here, just chatting on forums,

I miss her so much, life aint worth living without her

Oh please don’t think you’d alone , hope you’re ok. X"

* you’re

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm sorry people feel excluded. It can unfortunately be the nature of forum posts, for better or worse, and for everyone.

I'm not in a position to be able to offer personal support at the moment - I started the thread to help process my own stuff, and I can't take anything else on (I don't want anyone new messaging me about it thank you).

Reply privately

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

"

Exercise is the number 1 best help for mental health issues! You can’t be down after you beast a 45 min run/walk/swim, you feel like a winner, and that winning mentality carries over into other aspects of your life. 100% works for me "

Yes you can be down after. Glad it works for you but I always feel shit after exercise

Reply privately

over a year ago

Best mental health treatment is good sex and a cuddle up to sleep

Reply privately

By *nfinitylandMan
over a year ago

Leicester

I've found exercise to work wonders for my mental health. I have really bad anxiety so I took to running at night and it helped me out no end! I'll never be fully rid of it but it gives me a right amount of endorphins I need to get my head straight

Reply privately

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Best mental health treatment is good sex and a cuddle up to sleep "

That's a profoundly ignorant comment.

Reply privately

By *airytaleOfNewPorkMan
over a year ago

Close

Afternoon FAB Fam... I struggled IMMENSLEY with anxiety for a few years, caused by mental and physical abuse (yep, happens to men too!) and I found it hard to talk about it.

I left her and started on my own again 5 years ago... Its taken me a while... I hated myself and was always worried about how my kids would perceive me.

But I learned to socialise again, I'm always kind to people and that's what made me feel better... Making others feel good about themselves, because generally it was repaid with kind words back...

Huge hugs to anyone who feels bad today or tomorrow or any day... If you ever wanna reach out... I'll be here

Reply privately

By *nfinitylandMan
over a year ago

Leicester

"Afternoon FAB Fam... I struggled IMMENSLEY with anxiety for a few years, caused by mental and physical abuse (yep, happens to men too!) and I found it hard to talk about it.

I left her and started on my own again 5 years ago... Its taken me a while... I hated myself and was always worried about how my kids would perceive me.

But I learned to socialise again, I'm always kind to people and that's what made me feel better... Making others feel good about themselves, because generally it was repaid with kind words back...

Huge hugs to anyone who feels bad today or tomorrow or any day... If you ever wanna reach out... I'll be here "

Good man keep it up. I can relate to that

Reply privately

By *airytaleOfNewPorkMan
over a year ago

Close

"Afternoon FAB Fam... I struggled IMMENSLEY with anxiety for a few years, caused by mental and physical abuse (yep, happens to men too!) and I found it hard to talk about it.

Huge hugs to anyone who feels bad today or tomorrow or any day... If you ever wanna reach out... I'll be here

Good man keep it up. I can relate to that"

Thanks buddy.... Hope that means you're feeling better!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Huge hugs to anyone who feels bad today or tomorrow or any day... If you ever wanna reach out... I'll be here "

Huge respect and I totally understand where your coming from ie, kids. My door is always open if you ever need to chat x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Best mental health treatment is good sex and a cuddle up to sleep "

Illl remember that next time I want to self harm, comments like this are so not good , even though you probably mean well , you can’t just snap out of real depression.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Well, that was quite a pleasant thread all things considered. I hope it made everyone feel better about themselves.

As for the lady who said she would like to shag me, just pm me rather than put it in a thread

Reply privately