Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How does eyewash run out of date?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So my eyewash at work was out of date, the bandages in my first aid kit have a use by date. How in the fuck is that a thing if the they are supposed to be in a sterile environment?

Answers on an out of date postcard please.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Eye wash is saline and unfortunately chemicals degrade over time.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Eye wash is saline and unfortunately chemicals degrade over time."

This

Also, anything that can be ingested has to have a sell by or use by date. I know you dont drink eye wash, but it still goes inside you

As for the bandages, no idea

By *RD2020Man
over a year ago

Stirling

The packaging for the bandages degrades and stop providing a sterile environment.

over a year ago

"Eye wash is saline and unfortunately chemicals degrade over time.

This

Also, anything that can be ingested has to have a sell by or use by date. I know you dont drink eye wash, but it still goes inside you

As for the bandages, no idea"

Probably because the packaging will degrade over time thus breaking the seal and making them no longer sterile.

over a year ago

This

Probably because the packaging will degrade over time thus breaking the seal and making them no longer sterile. "

Every day is a school day

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

For all sterile medical devices you have to prove sterility over time. Shelf life testing costs money so you'll go for relatively short unless that will stop you selling.

How long will the seal hold on the bandage's packaging? When will the wrapper start to degrade?

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

This

Probably because the packaging will degrade over time thus breaking the seal and making them no longer sterile. "

You beat me to it!

over a year ago

"Eye wash is saline and unfortunately chemicals degrade over time."

Even if unexposed to sunlight? It’s been in my vans glovebox for years.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

it used to be advised to deliver babies onto clean newspaper in an emergency, nowadays you'd be lucky to find enough newspaper. I'm pretty sure if you were bleeding heavily you wouldn't give two hoots about the date on the bandage

over a year ago

"it used to be advised to deliver babies onto clean newspaper in an emergency, nowadays you'd be lucky to find enough newspaper. I'm pretty sure if you were bleeding heavily you wouldn't give two hoots about the date on the bandage "

My thoughts exactly. Or the eyewash for that matter.

over a year ago

"it used to be advised to deliver babies onto clean newspaper in an emergency, nowadays you'd be lucky to find enough newspaper. I'm pretty sure if you were bleeding heavily you wouldn't give two hoots about the date on the bandage

My thoughts exactly. Or the eyewash for that matter."

But I suppose it’s all to cover the insurance. The thing is surely items like these that in certain environments are only used once in a blue moon, it would be better to make a package that doesn’t degrade over time?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"it used to be advised to deliver babies onto clean newspaper in an emergency, nowadays you'd be lucky to find enough newspaper. I'm pretty sure if you were bleeding heavily you wouldn't give two hoots about the date on the bandage

But I suppose it’s all to cover the insurance. The thing is surely items like these that in certain environments are only used once in a blue moon, it would be better to make a package that doesn’t degrade over time?"

its difficult to know nowadays what is a legal obligation and what is a genuine concern

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

But I suppose it’s all to cover the insurance. The thing is surely items like these that in certain environments are only used once in a blue moon, it would be better to make a package that doesn’t degrade over time?"

But you'd still have to do the shelf life testing. If you can sell with a 2 year shelf life why pay to test for 5? If you lose sales because of it, then you test for longer, but otherwise there isn't a business case.

By *spotpleasurerMan
over a year ago

Norwich

How does any formulation like a pill or an eyewash solution go out of date?

There's going to be some decomposition over time and manufacturers are going to err on the side of caution. They'll probably work for some time after the expiry date. Would you happily take a medicine that expired two years ago? Or take the risk of someone suing your workplace if there was an accident and the eyewash became an issue?

over a year ago

Tastes like weak cum...apparently

Post new Message to Thread