Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Colonoscopy

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Got to say I’m really nervous,anyone had one ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No but wanted to wish you luck

I am facing heart surgery sooner than anticipated literally shaking at the thought

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

If they offer you a light sedation, say yes. If they don't offer you a light sedation, ask for one. You will probably not feel a thing, nor remember it. Down side is you won't be able to drive home, someone will need to collect you

over a year ago

I have them ever two years cos of family history. The camera isn't too bad but when they try and get that big fluffy boom mic in there....

Seriously though, they give you the medical version of ghb so you are complient and it makes the procedure easier physically, when you first come round after the exam you might have vague dreamlike memories but with me at least these are forgotten before you finish the hospital cup of tea and slice of toast.

Biggest inconvenience is the kleen prep stuff they give you in the day or two before, DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE, DO NOT STRAY TOO FAR FROM A TOILET when that stuff starts to work you've honestly got seconds

Jay

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"I have them ever two years cos of family history. The camera isn't too bad but when they try and get that big fluffy boom mic in there....

Seriously though, they give you the medical version of ghb so you are complient and it makes the procedure easier physically, when you first come round after the exam you might have vague dreamlike memories but with me at least these are forgotten before you finish the hospital cup of tea and slice of toast.

Biggest inconvenience is the kleen prep stuff they give you in the day or two before, DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE, DO NOT STRAY TOO FAR FROM A TOILET when that stuff starts to work you've honestly got seconds

Jay"

I haven't had a colonoscopy but I have had polyps removed from my intestine which involves a thing going up me bum. I wont scare the bejesus out of you with what I went through but would concur with the poster I have quoted. The drink they give you to clean yourself is rough, make sure you get plenty of sleep before you drink it, because you ain't getting none after....

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

"I have them ever two years cos of family history. The camera isn't too bad but when they try and get that big fluffy boom mic in there....

Jay

I haven't had a colonoscopy but I have had polyps removed from my intestine which involves a thing going up me bum. I wont scare the bejesus out of you with what I went through but would concur with the poster I have quoted. The drink they give you to clean yourself is rough, make sure you get plenty of sleep before you drink it, because you ain't getting none after...."

Did you have sedation ?

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

It will be grand.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

[Removed by poster at 07/01/20 22:14:43]

over a year ago

Dunno anything about them but good luck mate and hope all goes well

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

Jay

I haven't had a colonoscopy but I have had polyps removed from my intestine which involves a thing going up me bum. I wont scare the bejesus out of you with what I went through but would concur with the poster I have quoted. The drink they give you to clean yourself is rough, make sure you get plenty of sleep before you drink it, because you ain't getting none after....

Did you have sedation ?

I am afraid not, it was extremely painful, there was a lot of blood and I had to remain awake throughout the procedure, in the end they stopped, I think they lassoed out around 5 polyps (you can watch the device on the screen, weird really like clipping stalactites).

That was about 4 years ago. I wept this much I know and decided that if I had cancer then fuck it, I had cancer. Oooh that was all a bit graphic, apologies."

That was my point. If he has the sedation, he will likely not suffer any of that. Hearing agonising stories will now scare the already anxious man witless.

over a year ago

"Got to say I’m really nervous,anyone had one ?"

Good luck, I've had one, if you want to pm to discuss you're more than welcome.

It's not as bad as it may seem.

By *ottielayWoman
over a year ago

by the bay

Yes I had one with gas and air and it was fine

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

"Got to say I’m really nervous,anyone had one ?

Good luck, I've had one, if you want to pm to discuss you're more than welcome.

It's not as bad as it may seem. "

A lovely positive reassuring post

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I've had 4 due to family history. I always had sedation although you have to be awake and aware so you can tell them if you get any pain.

It's obviously different for

everyone. I would say follow the prep stuff to the T, I didn't once and had to go back because I wasn't clear enough.

Try and relax, it makes it easier for the doctor.

Concentrate on your breathing.

Don't look at the pipe thing, it's massive.

Be aware you will do a huge fart afterwards!!

Hope it goes well.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"

That was my point. If he has the sedation, he will likely not suffer any of that. Hearing agonising stories will now scare the already anxious man witless."

I was quoting the poster warning about the drink you have to drink, before going in.... . You were the one that asked whether I had been sedated, so I explained some more.

I am absolutely positive that if the OP is sedated he will have very little discomfort and that the worst part of the experience will be that bloody awful liquid.....

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

I’ve had a couple and got have another in a few days ... was fine, no sedation .. just get a few stomach cramps and a little uncomfortable when they check yr actual ring piece .. has the flush out sachets b4 and u could win wars with them but this next one got give myself an enamour.. not looking forward to that ... but all will ok fella

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes not very nice,the worst is the meds before hand yak good luck

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

"

That was my point. If he has the sedation, he will likely not suffer any of that. Hearing agonising stories will now scare the already anxious man witless.

I was quoting the poster warning about the drink you have to drink, before going in.... . You were the one that asked whether I had been sedated, so I explained some more.

I am absolutely positive that if the OP is sedated he will have very little discomfort and that the worst part of the experience will be that bloody awful liquid....."

No, you have removed your post. You went into implicit detail of how painful it was and how you wept. That was inappropriate to a person asking for reassurance for surgical intervention.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"

I am absolutely positive that if the OP is sedated he will have very little discomfort and that the worst part of the experience will be that bloody awful liquid.....

No, you have removed your post. You went into implicit detail of how painful it was and how you wept. That was inappropriate to a person asking for reassurance for surgical intervention."

Only after you asked if I was sedated.....?

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"

No, you have removed your post. You went into implicit detail of how painful it was and how you wept. That was inappropriate to a person asking for reassurance for surgical intervention."

Its still up there because you quoted it.

That procedure is more invasive than a colonoscopy as they are usually just for investigation.

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

"

No, you have removed your post. You went into implicit detail of how painful it was and how you wept. That was inappropriate to a person asking for reassurance for surgical intervention.

Its still up there because you quoted it.

That procedure is more invasive than a colonoscopy as they are usually just for investigation.

"

I know, but to describe an excruciating bowel surgical experience to an already anxious man

over a year ago

"If they offer you a light sedation, say yes. If they don't offer you a light sedation, ask for one. You will probably not feel a thing, nor remember it. Down side is you won't be able to drive home, someone will need to collect you "
cheers thanks for the advice

By *roticGoddessXXWoman
over a year ago

Richmond

A friend of mine had a baseline colonoscopy done at 50. They found cancer.

Thank god he didn't put it off.

I've not had one yet, but have seen one done, and it was pretty straight forward.

Better safe than sorry.

By *epsonWoman
over a year ago

Biddulph

"If they offer you a light sedation, say yes. If they don't offer you a light sedation, ask for one. You will probably not feel a thing, nor remember it. Down side is you won't be able to drive home, someone will need to collect you cheers thanks for the advice "

The side effect of the sedation often causes amnesia, so you probably won't remember anything. It also makes you lovely and relaxed, which obviously makes any procedure easier

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I’ve been there, as well as that I had to have a camera put down my throat at the same time.

I told them I was nervous and they gave me something to relax me, that’s the last thing I remember and woke two hours later. I was grateful as I don’t remember a thing, from them taking biopsies to removing three polyps

As others have said the stuff they give you to clear you out is grim. You will not be leaving your bathroom or it’s close proximity for sometime

Good luck OP and make sure you ask for something to calm you

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I had one in 2018. I was given the choice of sedation or gas and air. I opted for gas and air and to be honest I didn't really bother with it. They removed my glasses, but I asked for them back so I could watch the camera on the monitor.

Endoscopy, on the other hand, go for full sedation. I've had 2 of those. First time I went for the throat spray so that I could drive home. Never again. Second time they knocked me out cold.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"If they offer you a light sedation, say yes. If they don't offer you a light sedation, ask for one. You will probably not feel a thing, nor remember it. Down side is you won't be able to drive home, someone will need to collect you cheers thanks for the advice

The side effect of the sedation often causes amnesia, so you probably won't remember anything. It also makes you lovely and relaxed, which obviously makes any procedure easier "

It made me feel great. I sat up as they wheeled me out waved at the doctor and said something like 'you're amazing, see ya tomorrow'

I have to have fentanyl because I'm allergic to a few sedatives. Ask for that OP!

over a year ago

"If they offer you a light sedation, say yes. If they don't offer you a light sedation, ask for one. You will probably not feel a thing, nor remember it. Down side is you won't be able to drive home, someone will need to collect you cheers thanks for the advice

I remember it like it happened yesterday, but was about 2 years ago.

The side effect of the sedation often causes amnesia, so you probably won't remember anything. It also makes you lovely and relaxed, which obviously makes any procedure easier "

By *xycpl699Couple
over a year ago

kilmarnock

You will be fine mate I had rectal cancer had them often still do as check up. with sedation No problem sleep through it try not to stress about it.hollie

By *r_Jake70Man
over a year ago

London

I’ve had 3 and as some others have said the prep is nasty. Best make sure the house is empty if possible. Do not venture out, even to the corner shops! I find the procedure pretty okay, once or twice the air they pump in has got a bit trapped, and you will fart a lot afterwards. I also like to watch the monitor (I find it fascinating), but you may choose not to.

Good luck

over a year ago

Don't worry about it mate,I've had more cameras than Tom Hanks!! I recommend you have a sedative, I've had it with and without,and do it by the book,if you try having a sneaky snack the day before you'll just have to go back, because you'll be blocked up ! Be ready to fart and laugh like never before, good luck mate

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Yeah, I've had 2, they have removed 11 polyps in total. I was booked in for another one this Saturday, but I got a phone call from the bowel cancer screening department yesterday to say that they had changed their policy, and I don't have to go again until October next year.

It is a little bit uncomfortable when the scope hits the end of your intestine and has to turn round to come back the other way, but the worst part is having to drink 2 litres of Movi Prep which tastes worse than Yak's piss (I should imagine)

over a year ago

Jay"

thanks I have the stuff ready to take thanks for taking the time

over a year ago

Jay

I haven't had a colonoscopy but I have had polyps removed from my intestine which involves a thing going up me bum. I wont scare the bejesus out of you with what I went through but would concur with the poster I have quoted. The drink they give you to clean yourself is rough, make sure you get plenty of sleep before you drink it, because you ain't getting none after...."

oh that sounds awful

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Take as much sedative as they offer you! If you are a drinker ask for a heavier dose! Trust me you will thank me later!

As someone else has said, the enema you have to take the day before makes your arse feel like it is on fire, so DO NOT STRAY away from the toilet!

I found it most uncomfortable and quite painful, but they apologised and blamed it on my slight stature so sedative sedative sedative!

over a year ago

The meds you get beforehand are bloody awful. Pure evil in a bottle and I struggled to swallow even with a straw!

Camp out next to the toilet, you won't have a choice anyway though.

I was also sick on the second dose so have a bucket to hand.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Just look just my tuppence worth.At this stage I've had everything done..stents fitted to my heart..2 days in ICU and everything fine.

Camera down my throat...horrible experience because of the gag reflex...ladies I solute you on that one.

Camera down into my penis into my bladder.No problem

Colonoscopy every 6 months

The camera up inside no problem as I always get knocked out.

The worse bit is the Kleen prep to clean out your bowel and rectum.

Take it easy with soft food the day you start the Juice ..pasta is ideal

Dont drink dark liquids like blackcurrant juice

Wear loose tracksuit or pj bottons once you start drinking it as you'll be hitting the toilet pretty quickly

Charge your phone or leave a book in there as you'll you'll literally be pissing out your arse

Thats the worse bit being honest

Don't worry

I've also had a vasectomy and a circumcision in the last few years is anyone wants help in those subjects

over a year ago

"I’ve had a couple and got have another in a few days ... was fine, no sedation .. just get a few stomach cramps and a little uncomfortable when they check yr actual ring piece .. has the flush out sachets b4 and u could win wars with them but this next one got give myself an enamour.. not looking forward to that ... but all will ok fella "

over a year ago

"I’ve had a couple and got have another in a few days ... was fine, no sedation .. just get a few stomach cramps and a little uncomfortable when they check yr actual ring piece .. has the flush out sachets b4 and u could win wars with them but this next one got give myself an enamour.. not looking forward to that ... but all will ok fella "
thanks so much

over a year ago

"You will be fine mate I had rectal cancer had them often still do as check up. with sedation No problem sleep through it try not to stress about it.hollie "
thanks people Re really kind

over a year ago

Thanks to everyone some really kind reassurance,perhaps this wasn’t the place to ask but thanks

By *rtraymondo76Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Totally agree with above poster about Movi Prep. It tastes disgusting and works as the medical equivalent of DynoRod. You will be scoured clean,

Point of argument, I'd describe anything up there for a look around is a colonoscopy. It much better now that they don't inflate you with gas as they used to. That hurts afterwards until you let out a fart like an elephant that causes the bedclothes to hover,

over a year ago

"Thanks to everyone some really kind reassurance,perhaps this wasn’t the place to ask but thanks "

Honestly, it's going to be fine, try not to over think it as that will only make it harder for you to relax, it's a simple procedure with minor discomfort and will be over before you know it.

over a year ago

I’ve had two, one with sedation, one without

No pain at all with sedation and not too much without.

Try not to worry, easier said than done, I know x

over a year ago

"Thanks to everyone some really kind reassurance,perhaps this wasn’t the place to ask but thanks

Honestly, it's going to be fine, try not to over think it as that will only make it harder for you to relax, it's a simple procedure with minor discomfort and will be over before you know it. "

thankyou

over a year ago

"I’ve had two, one with sedation, one without

No pain at all with sedation and not too much without.

Try not to worry, easier said than done, I know x"

thanks so kind

over a year ago

"No but wanted to wish you luck

I am facing heart surgery sooner than anticipated literally shaking at the thought "

Good luck sweetheart, x

over a year ago

I had sedation with mine. I remember most of it. I don't remember any pain. A few people at work had told me I would have terrible flatulence but as I have IBS and normally gassy I actually spent 2 days farting much less than usual!

By *revor626Man
over a year ago

Oldbury

Honestly you’ve got seconds - for ‘seconds’ read milliseconds!

And the mike boom is ok - it’s the ITV camera crew that’s a problem!

over a year ago

I watched mine on a big screen TV whilst lying on my side, had the meds can't say they made me unaware but at the same time didn't really feel any discomfort, no where near as unpleasant as the stomach cam.

Post new Message to Thread