Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gym

Jump to newest

By *iker boy 69 OP   Man
over a year ago

midlands

Hi guys and gals, just joined a gym about 6 weeks ago, to do a bit of swimming rowing and light weights to try and tone up a bit. Im not fat anyway, just a bit of a grab handle round the waist. Im going 3 times a week, so how long will it be till i notice a difference.. not really changing diet, but thinking, same diet plus excersise is gona show some improvement

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uscularLoveMan
over a year ago

london

Well if you want to tone up you should change your diet mostly lean protiens and minimal carbs (before workout).

If you want to build muscle then you should go on a bulking diet but this comes with body fat percentage so you won't look as toned.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I like a belly

Just saying

By *uscularLoveMan
over a year ago

london

My advice to you is that you change your diet otherwise you won't see the muscle.

Obviously going to the gym you will see differences, however if you don't change you diet and lower body fat ratio then you won't be able to have abs and look ripped.

over a year ago

Diet is absolutely everything with regards to body transformation, so dont expect to see any marked changes if you're still eating crap. Exercise is simply the catalyst.

If you clean up your food intake and train in the manner you suggested you could expect to see improvements easily inside 3 months.

Dont rely on scales as they lie. The mirror, the fit of your clothes and consistency are the true barometer of your progress.

Good luck.

over a year ago

"My advice to you is that you change your diet otherwise you won't see the muscle.

Obviously going to the gym you will see differences, however if you don't change you diet and lower body fat ratio then you won't be able to have abs and look ripped."

Absolutely this, best workout you'll do is in the kitchen.

over a year ago

80% diet 20% exercise, depends on how much you are training, would say 2/3 months , measure yourself rather than weigh.

Vixen x

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I go just for the exercise. I’m not gonna get ripped or toned not will my abs show again.

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

Cut out alcohol and you'll be good

over a year ago

You can’t out train a bad diet...

By *iker boy 69 OP   Man
over a year ago

midlands

"Diet is absolutely everything with regards to body transformation, so dont expect to see any marked changes if you're still eating crap. Exercise is simply the catalyst.

If you clean up your food intake and train in the manner you suggested you could expect to see improvements easily inside 3 months.

Dont rely on scales as they lie. The mirror, the fit of your clothes and consistency are the true barometer of your progress.

Good luck."

I dont eat crap so to speak. As im at home my mam does lots of slimming world food, and meat is syn free so eat lots of protein. Have been told bread is the bitch of all bitches though, and if i didnt eat bread id starve at work. Im not one for takeouts all the time

By *attyduk76Man
over a year ago

nearby

"My advice to you is that you change your diet otherwise you won't see the muscle.

Obviously going to the gym you will see differences, however if you don't change you diet and lower body fat ratio then you won't be able to have abs and look ripped."

Best advice ever

Most ripped looking bodies are a serious amount of work to keep that way !! I do a lot of exercise pre 6am without food. I was 90 kg and 2 years later 68 kg

over a year ago

"Cut out alcohol and you'll be good"

Pardon??

over a year ago

"Cut out alcohol and you'll be good

Pardon?? "

Obsurd

By *arbellsWoman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Burn more calories than you eat! You wont make progress unless you change your diet. Anyone who demonises a food group and tells you it's bad is lying. Too much of anything is bad. I have a very high Carn diet and I've lost 18kg. I trained, tracked my calories and ate whatever the hell I wanted as long as I didn't go over my calories

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Tweak your diet or you'll see little to no physical change.

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

"Cut out alcohol and you'll be good

Pardon?? "

"Because alcohol is made from sugar or starch, it contains lots of calories – seven calories a gram in fact, almost as many as pure fat"

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/calories/calories-in-alcohol/

over a year ago

Eat loads of Freddos

over a year ago

Exercise will always be trumped by a bad diet

By *iker boy 69 OP   Man
over a year ago

midlands

"Exercise will always be trumped by a bad diet "

I dont know if i have a bad diet though, thats the problem. As i say, most evening meals are slimming world recipes so cant be that bad id have thought

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

"Diet is absolutely everything with regards to body transformation, so dont expect to see any marked changes if you're still eating crap. Exercise is simply the catalyst.

Dont rely on scales as they lie. The mirror, the fit of your clothes and consistency are the true barometer of your progress

Good luck.

I dont eat crap so to speak. As im at home my mam does lots of slimming world food, and meat is syn free so eat lots of protein. Have been told bread is the bitch of all bitches though, and if i didnt eat bread id starve at work. Im not one for takeouts all the time"

Of course you can cut out bread.

Instead of sandwiches take a pre cooked casserole meal of a little whole grain pasta, chicken bulked our with lots of Fresh veg. Add different herbs to give great taste.

This can be pre cooked and eaten cold the following day. Cheaper, tastier and healthier than a takeaway.

If you want an easy guide get the GI Diet book. It’s a simple traffic light system

As has been said you can’t out work a bad diet.

By *uscularLoveMan
over a year ago

london

Ok. You look fairly normal from the pic I seen.

It would take you a couple months to get into decent shape.

It's not about slimming recipes those are all FADS made by supplementation companies to buy they're products.

Seriously a diet of whole foods like eggs, fish and lean meats is the best.

Cook all your own meals, use the calculator I gave you and eat minimal carbs high protien.

An example of a daily diet i use for cutting.

MEAL 1.

4 eggs (1 yolk, 3 egg whites only)

Salad

Pitta bread.

MEAL 2.

two cans of tuna or cooked salmon

Salad.

Snack

Protien shake

Fruit.

Nuts.

MEAL 3.

Steak

Salad

MEAL 4.

Chicken breast .

Rice.

Brocolli

Before bed

Protien shake.

Now bare in mind I have alot more muscle mass to keep than you so I consume way more protien to maintain muscle when cutting.

Find out how much muscle mass you have and eat 1.5-2g a day per kg of your body wieght.

You will feel hungry to begin with but this plus a good workout regime will make you in good shape and shed off those excess pounds.

over a year ago

So what is a good diet? I don't eat loads of crap but my belly is getting bigger lol. I'm doing dry Jan so that's drink cut down just need some advice on a diet

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

"So what is a good diet? I don't eat loads of crap but my belly is getting bigger lol. I'm doing dry Jan so that's drink cut down just need some advice on a diet "

If your belly is getting bigger then your diets crap. It’s as simple as that.

Get the GI Diet book

Always cook fresh meat and veg.

over a year ago

"So what is a good diet? I don't eat loads of crap but my belly is getting bigger lol. I'm doing dry Jan so that's drink cut down just need some advice on a diet

If your belly is getting bigger then your diets crap. It’s as simple as that.

Tbf we do eat a lot of fresh veg, I work long hours and eat late and sometimes not at all during the day which probably doesn't hp

Get the GI Diet book

Always cook fresh meat and veg. "

By *iker boy 69 OP   Man
over a year ago

midlands

"Ok. You look fairly normal from the pic I seen.

It's not about slimming recipes those are all FADS made by supplementation companies to buy they're products.

Cook all your own meals, use the calculator I gave you and eat minimal carbs high protien.

MEAL 1.

Salad

Pitta bread.

MEAL 2.

Salad.

Snack

Protien shake

Fruit.

Nuts.

MEAL 3.

Steak

Salad

MEAL 4.

Chicken breast .

Rice.

Brocolli

Before bed

Protien shake.

Now bare in mind I have alot more muscle mass to keep than you so I consume way more protien to maintain muscle when cutting.

Find out how much muscle mass you have and eat 1.5-2g a day per kg of your body wieght.

You will feel hungry to begin with but this plus a good workout regime will make you in good shape and shed off those excess pounds.

"

Ok mate, thank you. Will give it a go, and see what happens

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 05/01/20 16:51:05]

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Hi guys and gals, just joined a gym about 6 weeks ago, to do a bit of swimming rowing and light weights to try and tone up a bit. Im not fat anyway, just a bit of a grab handle round the waist. Im going 3 times a week, so how long will it be till i notice a difference.. not really changing diet, but thinking, same diet plus excersise is gona show some improvement"

Nope. 90% diet 10% gym , unless you’re a runner they can eat whatever they want !

By *iker boy 69 OP   Man
over a year ago

midlands

MEAL 1.

Salad

Pitta bread.

MEAL 2.

Salad.

Snack

Protien shake

Fruit.

Nuts.

MEAL 3.

Steak

Salad

MEAL 4.

Chicken breast .

Rice.

Brocolli

Before bed

Protien shake.

Ok mate, thank you. Will give it a go, and see what happens"

A typical day is no breakfast

10.am sandwich and savory snack, and same again at 1230

Teatime is normally home cooked meal such as pasta bake with rice, hunters chicken/chips, spag bol, gammon with new potatoes/eggs beans. Them chicken in a bag things with rice and garlic bread.

So is there much id need to change or cut out

over a year ago

"I like a belly

Just saying "

Thank you

By *r-mrs inkedCouple
over a year ago

rugby

Sound advice

over a year ago

Up the protein, cut the carbs and weight train

over a year ago

"Ok mate, thank you. Will give it a go, and see what happens

Teatime is normally home cooked meal such as pasta bake with rice, hunters chicken/chips, spag bol, gammon with new potatoes/eggs beans. Them chicken in a bag things with rice and garlic bread.

So is there much id need to change or cut out"

If that truly is all you're eating then you wouldn't be overweight.

I suggest you take an honest look at everything and I mean everything you consume over a day/week and write it down. This includes drinks and sugar in hot beverages.

If you're still in denial its gonna be impossible to make changes.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

MEAL 1.

Salad

Pitta bread.

MEAL 2.

Salad.

Snack

Protien shake

Fruit.

Nuts.

MEAL 3.

Steak

Salad

MEAL 4.

Chicken breast .

Rice.

Brocolli

Before bed

Protien shake.

Ok mate, thank you. Will give it a go, and see what happens

So is there much id need to change or cut out"

Too much bread. Chips and crisps are never good. Also look at what you drink.

By *iker boy 69 OP   Man
over a year ago

midlands

I suggest you take an honest look at everything and I mean everything you consume over a day/week and write it down. This includes drinks and sugar in hot beverages.

"

Im not overweight according to work medical, just out of shape. All drinks are sugar free, apart from hot drinks, with one sugar. But yea, thats pretty much my diet, but never done excercise. Even played in goal when i played football.

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

Im not overweight according to work medical, just out of shape. All drinks are sugar free, apart from hot drinks, with one sugar. But yea, thats pretty much my diet, but never done excercise. Even played in goal when i played football. "

It’s the hidden sugar in tinned products. Check labels closely I mean carrots in sugared water!!

If you want an easy to follow guide I strongly recommend the GI Diet book. You can borrow from the Libary or buy a copy.

Diet is about food education not just what you eat.

over a year ago

It will take about 3 months to see a difference.

By *oupleforxtrafunCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Back on Low carb diet as of Monday and do my cardio in the morning before work and do my weight training in the afternoon 20 weeks now till my competition

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Maybe not the ideal person to give advice as don’t do the gym and have a terrible sweet tooth with a thing for sandwiches and toast lol which erm isn’t ideal but notice you said you do ‘a bit’ of swimming, rowing and light weights, just doing ‘a bit’ won’t mark a difference, push yourself harder, up your cardio, lift heavier weights (more muscle burns more fat) and like others said make sure your diets in check

over a year ago

"I like a belly

Just saying "

I have a belly lol

By *rmrs1234Couple
over a year ago

Waterford

"Back on Low carb diet as of Monday and do my cardio in the morning before work and do my weight training in the afternoon 20 weeks now till my competition "

ooh what kind of comp are you doing

over a year ago

High protein, low carb diet will work on a short term but is really bad for your liver and kidneys.

These kind of diets are coming from muscle building and maintaining types of training and are popular due to the protein making you feel full for a longer period.

Different food groups all work in different ways and all have their place in a ballanced and healthy diet.

The problem is down to over eating, modern processed foods that you don't really know what is in them and a lower amounts of activity than of generations before.

Cooking your own healthy food, avoiding junk, snacking and as much sugar as possible combined with been active is a basic start

If you put more calories in than your burning then you are definitely going to get fat where as the opposite can only have the reversed effect.

If you exercise more and eat more calories at the same rate then it will not make you thinner.

Only exception to this rule is muscle mass as it requires energy to maintain itself so building muscle mass needs extra calories to feed that.

I'm going to confess the biggest weight loss people I have ever experienced have achieved it by being active and going either vegetarian or vegan.

I don't want to give up meat or booze and not interested in living in the gym so just happy with being sensible and keeping active with things I enjoy sex included

Teddington x

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Anyone tried the Apex predator diet ? Just a daily or bi daily gorge on large amounts of red meat and fat , on the bone, preferably eaten with bare hands.

Post new Message to Thread