Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are we really more offended?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Snow flakes, easily offended, lighten up....expressions I read more and more on line.

But has our current generation, who without doubt is more diverse, educated and more accepting than many before really become more offended?

Personally I think social media has simply given a platform's for many objectionable sorts,to voice themselves to an audience, and they're being challenged in front of that very same audience.

Previously the loud mouth bully in the local pub, went unchallenged for fear of confrontation.

I'm certainly less offended these days. You?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Have you ever read a thread on here , alot of people on here are so easily offended it's crazy.

over a year ago

Im cool with it if its too much il leave em like a starfish on the floor

By *uke OzadeMan
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

"Have you ever read a thread on here , alot of people on here are so easily offended it's crazy."

Fair point Mr G

over a year ago

I thinks its the internet. people can spread their voices globally with no restrictions. So maybe people aren't getting more offended, but you're just hearing from more people who are

over a year ago

Can’t remember ever being offended but no I don’t agree. Everyone’s offended by everything these days! They’re even offended by proxy. I think people do actually sit there and wait for something they can be offended by. To me it’s a pretty sad existence and those are not my people so I simply stay away now. Unless it affects me I try and ignore as it’s just another way of attention seeking in my opinion.

over a year ago

In a democracy no one has the right not to be offended.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I dont think people are more or less offended than they were before.

What has changed is that people are more likely to challenge others about their views. I think people use the term snowflake as a way to shut a conversation down. To me it shows a lacking in the ability to debate.

over a year ago

I see more people that get offended by being called out for being offensive

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I don’t get offended by words on a screen. Usually there is deep unhappiness and resentment behind the author. Misery begets misery

Face to face is very different but I don’t often see anything that can compare to online warriors.

over a year ago

"I thinks its the internet. people can spread their voices globally with no restrictions. So maybe people aren't getting more offended, but you're just hearing from more people who are"

Agreed.

Ecclesiastes 7:21-22

Do not take to heart all the things that people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you. Your heart knows that many times you yourself have cursed others.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Possibly. Shocks me how many people are offended by sausage rolls.

However most of the time people who use terms like snowflake just can't handle being disagreed with.

over a year ago

" Snow flakes, easily offended, lighten up....expressions I read more and more on line.

But has our current generation, who without doubt is more diverse, educated and more accepting than many before really become more offended?

Personally I think social media has simply given a platform's for many objectionable sorts,to voice themselves to an audience, and they're being challenged in front of that very same audience.

Previously the loud mouth bully in the local pub, went unchallenged for fear of confrontation.

I'm certainly less offended these days. You?"

I disagree with the educated and acceptance part.

Lawnmower parenting, lack of real socialization, poor development in internal skills from childbirth as a result of 2d imaging, the "need" for internet and social media, computers, and people being pushed way too early into sexualizing themselves over just learning about themselves has resulted in a culture that isn't just offended but has a lack of understanding why they should be and how to learn from it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think many people mistake opposition to their views for offence. If I disagree it isn't because your views offend me, it's because I disagree with what you've said. I actually think the people running about shouting "snowflake" and "pc gone mad" are the ones who are offended by anybody daring to express views other than their own.

I do get offended but not by much.

over a year ago

I think people are more offended in person than on the internet. We live in our own little bubbles behind our phone so sometimes we forget or dont even experience confrontation in our lives. I think that loud mouth bully in some weird way is actually good for us, it hurts yeah but it teaches us to stand on our two feet and not bend over (unless that's your thing of course). Everything has to be sugar coated lately, people get medals for coming last place in competitions because they get offended/upset by it all. That's why I like working on site, it teaches you to man up

over a year ago

" Snow flakes, easily offended, lighten up....expressions I read more and more on line.

I'm certainly less offended these days. You?"

Most clinical psychologists disagree with you.

We have raised a generation of sheltered children and they genuinely are more afraid of the world than any generation before despite those living in much more dangerous times.

Ps I don't where you live but where I live the loud mouth bully in the pub still goes unchallenged because he's mental and been in and out of prison and known to kick the fuck out of objectors .

But yea, good luck objecting to him online

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't think being subjected to bullying teaches people to stand on their own two feet.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

It's a tricky one. I agree it is less about an increase in being offended, and more that the Internet allows for greater exposure and a voice.

With that said the trend seems to be some go looking for a chance to be offended, just as much as those seeking to cause offense.

Accusing somebody of being offended and the terms used like snowflake etc often get used along side the lowest of the low "but that's my opinion" as ways to avoid a discussion or debate when challenged.

While getting offended by proxy and on behalf of others is certainly on the rise.

Being offended is certainly not limited to just one side either.

Using the example Lacey gave, vegans get a lot of shit for vegan sausage rolls and stake bakes, but the amount of fuss and uproar caused by the other side doesn't exactly make them seem level headed either.

over a year ago

Offence or perceived offence is shutting down freedom of speech...

Just because someone is offended doesn't mean they are right....

over a year ago

"Offence or perceived offence is shutting down freedom of speech...

"

Surely the ability to Express offence, signifies freedom of speech is alive and well?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I think many people mistake opposition to their views for offence. If I disagree it isn't because your views offend me, it's because I disagree with what you've said. I actually think the people running about shouting "snowflake" and "pc gone mad" are the ones who are offended by anybody daring to express views other than their own.

I do get offended but not by much."

Apart from the last line. I don't get offended.

over a year ago

Surely the ability to Express offence, signifies freedom of speech is alive and well? "

Unfortunately it's having the opposite effect... and the powers that be are using it to silence people..

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Also just because someone thinks you're wrong doesn't mean they're offended. People seem to think their opinion matters to others far more than it does.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

I think as the internet has progressed out of its formative time and become part of many daily lives, there has grown an 'online' way of communicating.

It can be very blunt and loses much of the subtle ways we communicate with expressions in real life, allowing for greater misinterpretation.

Add to that how protective people are of their opinions and the rapid increase of people who need to be heard in the digital age - whether it be an opinion or a different view - and there is naturally a lot more friction in communication.

- someone who talks too much.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Surely the ability to Express offence, signifies freedom of speech is alive and well? "

Indeed. The issue is extremism and extremists when it comes to free speech - both sides.

Though keep in mind there is no such thing as free speech without consequences, and there never should be.

I don't think anybody should have their right to say something taken away, but they should fully understand if you voice something then whatever comes from saying it should not be a shock.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Surely the ability to Express offence, signifies freedom of speech is alive and well?

Unfortunately it's having the opposite effect... and the powers that be are using it to silence people.."

What exactly are they being silenced about?

over a year ago

Jk Rowling now disagrees with that premise.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

Unfortunately it's having the opposite effect... and the powers that be are using it to silence people.."

I think that's because people are forgetting that being offended doesn't give them any special rights.

People have the right to be offended, everyone else has the right to not give a fuck.

over a year ago

Also just because someone thinks you're wrong doesn't mean they're offended. People seem to think their opinion matters to others far more than it does."

Well are talking about offence so assuming they are offended..if your not offended then all is fine and dandy

over a year ago

Comedians doing gigs in uni's are now vetted before they go on...making sure that they don't cause "offence"

Should jokes be vetted... it's only a joke ? Right ?

Religion... you can not criticise certain religions .. why ... because of offence...

The list goes on... the more people complain the more laws the government put in place to stop people having freedom of speech....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think many people mistake opposition to their views for offence. If I disagree it isn't because your views offend me, it's because I disagree with what you've said. I actually think the people running about shouting "snowflake" and "pc gone mad" are the ones who are offended by anybody daring to express views other than their own.

I do get offended but not by much.

Apart from the last line. I don't get offended."

I'm quite glad about that

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I do get offended but not by much."

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Comedians doing gigs in uni's are now vetted before they go on...making sure that they don't cause "offence"

Religion... you can not criticise certain religions .. why ... because of offence...

The list goes on... the more people complain the more laws the government put in place to stop people having freedom of speech...."

There's nothing new in that.

over a year ago

"I think that's because people are forgetting that being offended doesn't give them any special rights.

People have the right to be offended, everyone else has the right to not give a fuck."

Sure, but if the best defence of a statement is that you're literally not banned from saying it, and not obligated to care, that's literally the lowest bar.

over a year ago

"Comedians doing gigs in uni's are now vetted before they go on...making sure that they don't cause "offence"

The list goes on... the more people complain the more laws the government put in place to stop people having freedom of speech....

There's nothing new in that."

Only in the last few years, so in terms of most of our laws, fairly new...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm sometimes offended by people's views, although I rarely put it in those terms.

I react and have feelings to the views people express. It's my right. It's your right, too.

I'm not trying to stop anyone talking, although after a certain point I might not want to listen anymore.

It goes both ways. I'm sure people disagree and are offended by some things I say. We can discuss why, we can discuss the nature of the disagreement, we can disengage. And I can still discuss my views... I just might consider them more carefully when I do so around them, in future.

Dialogue. Who knew.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My understanding of "offended" is that I feel insulted by something.

I'm not insulted by another person's views, I don't really get insulted on somebody else's behalf. I do think we should look out for each other though so if I stand up for somebody who's being bullied for instance I'm not taking offence in their behalf. Or am I, should I ignore it and not say anything?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Only in the last few years, so in terms of most of our laws, fairly new..."

Can you give us some examples of these laws so we know what you're talking about?

over a year ago

"My understanding of "offended" is that I feel insulted by something.

I'm not insulted by another person's views, I don't really get insulted on somebody else's behalf. I do think we should look out for each other though so if I stand up for somebody who's being bullied for instance I'm not taking offence in their behalf. Or am I, should I ignore it and not say anything?"

I think more of us should be calling others on how they express their views at times

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Only in the last few years, so in terms of most of our laws, fairly new..."

Speaking out against the crown in Tudor times was a dangerous pastime.

over a year ago

Discussing your views in a group of people at home is unlikely to get you in much trouble... but if those views are shared on the Internet and they may cause offence...and that offence is reported to the police...you could get a knock at the door....that is no joke...

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Discussing your views in a group of people at home is unlikely to get you in much trouble... but if those views are shared on the Internet and they may cause offence...and that offence is reported to the police...you could get a knock at the door....that is no joke..."

Hate speech is illegal. Causing offense is not.

over a year ago

The list goes on... the more people complain the more laws the government put in place to stop people having freedom of speech...."

None of this is true is this what happens when you wear the Daily Mail as sunglasses.

over a year ago

"Discussing your views in a group of people at home is unlikely to get you in much trouble... but if those views are shared on the Internet and they may cause offence...and that offence is reported to the police...you could get a knock at the door....that is no joke...

Hate speech is illegal. Causing offense is not."

Your missing the point...anyone can be offended by anything thus causing offence....it doesn't have to be hate speach...

over a year ago

"Discussing your views in a group of people at home is unlikely to get you in much trouble... but if those views are shared on the Internet and they may cause offence...and that offence is reported to the police...you could get a knock at the door....that is no joke...

That's not quite true either, there's hate crimes which are illegal and there's recorded by police hate speech you know stuff like saying I think Islam is a shit idea or this bird is clearly a bloke

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Your missing the point...anyone can be offended by anything thus causing offence....it doesn't have to be hate speach... "

What is the specific law, statute, to which you are referring?

over a year ago

None of this is true is this what happens when you wear the Daily Mail as sunglasses."

thank you for not disappointing me... someone always blames the Daily Mail...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

True.

Also a trip to the tower was the prize for discussing certain views in your own home with the wrong person.

over a year ago

"Discussing your views in a group of people at home is unlikely to get you in much trouble... but if those views are shared on the Internet and they may cause offence...and that offence is reported to the police...you could get a knock at the door....that is no joke..."

If you got a knock on the door from the police then that would be a malicious communications issue - that is, you caused distress or anxiety (not offence) and the police credibly believe that this was also your intention.

The police often do this with "borderline" cases so you are clear on what the law is, but this has been the same law for 30 years so hardly new. And it's got nothing to do with "offence" - it's a good law.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Your missing the point...anyone can be offended by anything thus causing offence....it doesn't have to be hate speach... "

And offending people isn't illegal so unless the person is also committing hate speech or harrassment or breaking some other law then it's not a crime.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

True.

Also a trip to the tower was the prize for discussing certain views in your own home with the wrong person."

During tudor times I should say

over a year ago

Your missing the point...anyone can be offended by anything thus causing offence....it doesn't have to be hate speach...

And offending people isn't illegal so unless the person is also committing hate speech or harrassment or breaking some other law then it's not a crime."

Who decides what is just offending someone or actual hate speech...this is the problem now...

over a year ago

What is the specific law, statute, to which you are referring? "

I just pulled this from the West Yorkshire police website, it might help you.

Hate crimes / hate incidents can take place anywhere – at home, in the streets, at work, online or at school. No-one should have to live with the fear, anxiety and consequences of hate.

Reporting it when it happens will help the Police to deal with it and may prevent these incidents from happening to someone else. You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it.

This page includes information on:

What is Hate Crime and Hate Non-crime

How to report it

What happens after you've reported it (includes BSL video)

A Hate Crime is any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Examples include:

Physical attacks, such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti and arson;

Threat of attack, such as inciting hatred by words, pictures or videos, offensive letters, abusive or obscene telephone calls, groups hanging around to intimidate, and unfounded malicious complaints;

Members of the Police and Crime Commissioner's Youth Advisory Group explain what hate crime is

What is a Hate Incident?

A Hate Incident is any non-crime incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Examples include:

Verbal or online abuse, insults or harassment, such as taunting, offensive leaflets and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, and bullying at school or in the workplace.

A hate incident doesn't mean that we won't take it seriously if someone reports it.

over a year ago

I'm certainly less offended these days. You?.

Most clinical psychologists disagree with you.

We have raised a generation of sheltered children and they genuinely are more afraid of the world than any generation before despite those living in much more dangerous times.

Ps I don't where you live but where I live the loud mouth bully in the pub still goes unchallenged because he's mental and been in and out of prison and known to kick the fuck out of objectors .

But yea, good luck objecting to him online "

The psychology experiment you've highlighted isnt new and has been repeated over generations and can be targeted at adults of all ages. It's a peculiarity of the human condition that we overestimate some of the external risks we face in life.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

What is the specific law, statute, to which you are referring? .

Hate crimes / hate incidents can take place anywhere – at home, in the streets, at work, online or at school. No-one should have to live with the fear, anxiety and consequences of hate.

Reporting it when it happens will help the Police to deal with it and may prevent these incidents from happening to someone else. You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it.

How to report it

A Hate Crime is any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Examples include:

Physical attacks, such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti and arson;

Threat of attack, such as inciting hatred by words, pictures or videos, offensive letters, abusive or obscene telephone calls, groups hanging around to intimidate, and unfounded malicious complaints;

Members of the Police and Crime Commissioner's Youth Advisory Group explain what hate crime is

What is a Hate Incident?

A Hate Incident is any non-crime incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Examples include:

Verbal or online abuse, insults or harassment, such as taunting, offensive leaflets and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, and bullying at school or in the workplace.

A hate incident doesn't mean that we won't take it seriously if someone reports it."

That's not a law or statute. I'm asking for the origin of these frankly ludicrous claims.

And I don't see the issue. If someone suffers an incident which is made worse by their minority status... The law should protect them.

over a year ago

And offending people isn't illegal so unless the person is also committing hate speech or harrassment or breaking some other law then it's not a crime.

Who decides what is just offending someone or actual hate speech...this is the problem now..."

Not really. Theres all sorts of pertinent points within law, and the aspects of public interest.

Reporting incidents doesnt necessarily mean they are founded or acted upon.

Theres many interesting points above, but the thrux of my post, was that I dont believe our society is any more offended, than previous generations. We simply have the means to voice opinions more freely to a greater audience, thus creating the idea that theres more discontent.

As people highlight, having a different opinion isnt offence, but sadly many use that to close down another's compelling arguments contrary to theirs?

over a year ago

I don't think kids are more offended by things they just have exposure to more information meaning they can be offended by more things.

I don't think this generation is any different it's just that more people have a voice making it seem like there's more people moaning

over a year ago

If you got a knock on the door from the police then that would be a malicious communications issue - that is, you caused distress or anxiety (not offence) and the police credibly believe that this was also your intention.

The police often do this with "borderline" cases so you are clear on what the law is, but this has been the same law for 30 years so hardly new. And it's got nothing to do with "offence" - it's a good law."

This is the text book stuff and not always what goes on in the real world... im suprised if you haven't noticed that freedom of speech has been eroded in this country over the last few years .

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Who decides what is just offending someone or actual hate speech...this is the problem now..."

By definition hate speech is "threatening, abusive or intended to harrass, distress or alarm".

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Who decides what is just offending someone or actual hate speech...this is the problem now...

By definition hate speech is "threatening, abusive or intended to harrass, distress or alarm"."

Behaviour I know I want protection from

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

How to report it

Examples include:

What is a Hate Incident?

Examples include:

A hate incident doesn't mean that we won't take it seriously if someone reports it."

So you think the examples give in this should be allowed?

over a year ago

People are probably no more or less offended than they ever were on average. They just get offended at different things. It’s just that now, they feel entitled to tell us that they’re offended, LOUDLY, and expect us to actually care. But I do think vicarious offence is more common now. I think some people do like to be offended on behalf of others publicly, when perhaps mostly it’s best just to pipe down and shut up. That’s especially true if the person or group on behalf of whom they’re being offended isn’t really that offended themselves.

over a year ago

It more disappoints me, than offends me, when people are so set in their own ways and opinions that they refuse to even entertain another prospective, and risk being quite insulting in their speech, whether they mean to or not. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I also believe that people should at least try to have an open mind.

For instance, I'm a big fan of Strictly and Dancing On Ice, last year on Strictly there was two men dancing together during a pro dance, this year on DOI there's two men competing in the competition, and all over social media there's people being so against it with often thinly veiled homophobic comments, and the BBC recieved TWO HUNDRED complaints over a two minute dance on Strictly. As a bi woman seeing attitudes like that doesn't offend me. They just disappoint me and frustrate me quite a bit.

over a year ago

How to report it

Examples include:

What is a Hate Incident?

Examples include:

A hate incident doesn't mean that we won't take it seriously if someone reports it.

So you think the examples give in this should be allowed?"

You do know there all illegal and have been for sometime.

The only thing new is the added offence of reason for doing it?

As for the non crime hate incidents then yes I think they should be allowed and if it's clearly not a crime as shown by it's very own policy should not be investigated or used to waste police time even further.

over a year ago

By definition hate speech is "threatening, abusive or intended to harrass, distress or alarm"."

Yes by definition...virtually anything could be covered by the above...

over a year ago

I dont take a fence il take the whole house

over a year ago

By definition hate speech is "threatening, abusive or intended to harrass, distress or alarm".

Yes by definition...virtually anything could be covered by the above..."

But most people manage to avoid getting in trouble with the police. Most of us don’t even have to think about it. Surely the ones that don’t/need to worry about it are the problem?

over a year ago

Although I find it HILARIOUS when people complain about new vegan food online and stuff like that!

over a year ago

I am offended you had to write a post lol

over a year ago

"Although I find it HILARIOUS when people complain about new vegan food online and stuff like that!"
i only complain cos of the busy bathrooms all that fibre cant be good

over a year ago

The police often do this with "borderline" cases so you are clear on what the law is, but this has been the same law for 30 years so hardly new. And it's got nothing to do with "offence" - it's a good law.

This is the text book stuff and not always what goes on in the real world... im suprised if you haven't noticed that freedom of speech has been eroded in this country over the last few years . "

Can you give specific examples where non discriminatory or inflammatory speech has been suppressed genuinely? I cant honestly.

over a year ago

If my boobs offend...

Tough tits lol

over a year ago

"I am offended you had to write a post lol "

Fair one...it was that or participating in song, marry ,avoid

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

I find the old comedies of 80s and 90s/00s hilarious, but so many would be banned from being aired these days by the PC police ....

Little Britain being the most recent, for example.

over a year ago

"People are probably no more or less offended than they ever were on average. They just get offended at different things. It’s just that now, they feel entitled to tell us that they’re offended, LOUDLY, and expect us to actually care. But I do think vicarious offence is more common now. I think some people do like to be offended on behalf of others publicly, when perhaps mostly it’s best just to pipe down and shut up. That’s especially true if the person or group on behalf of whom they’re being offended isn’t really that offended themselves."

This exactly .

Someone who gets offended on behalf of a certain group that has nothing to do with them.

It's like they must be offended so I am going to be offended on their behalf.

over a year ago

"People are probably no more or less offended than they ever were on average. They just get offended at different things. It’s just that now, they feel entitled to tell us that they’re offended, LOUDLY, and expect us to actually care. But I do think vicarious offence is more common now. I think some people do like to be offended on behalf of others publicly, when perhaps mostly it’s best just to pipe down and shut up. That’s especially true if the person or group on behalf of whom they’re being offended isn’t really that offended themselves.

This exactly .

Someone who gets offended on behalf of a certain group that has nothing to do with them.

It's like they must be offended so I am going to be offended on their behalf."

So if you saw racist/homophobic/transphobic actions you’d be cool with it? Because it’s not your problem?

over a year ago

"I find the old comedies of 80s and 90s/00s hilarious, but so many would be banned from being aired these days by the PC police ....

Little Britain being the most recent, for example."

Any comedy in that era.

Mind your language

For one

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes by definition...virtually anything could be covered by the above..."

Fortunately this is why the police, CPS, courts, and lawyers have guidance as to what these words mean at law and when they're likely to be taken further. Which (without even looking it up) will look nothing like "virtually anything can be covered", because that's never how it works.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure that more than 95% of my behaviour would not be covered by those words. Possibly more than 99%.

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

It seems the norm nowadays to take offensive. Some of the good old days attitudes have sadly gone where we just didn’t care what other thought or said.

over a year ago

This is the text book stuff and not always what goes on in the real world... im suprised if you haven't noticed that freedom of speech has been eroded in this country over the last few years .

Can you give specific examples where non discriminatory or inflammatory speech has been suppressed genuinely? I cant honestly."

Yes... but I'm not going to as this will just keep rumbling on

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It seems the norm nowadays to take offensive. Some of the good old days attitudes have sadly gone where we just didn’t care what other thought or said. "

I think back in the day things were still offensive, but those offended, harmed, etc, didn't have a voice.

I'm glad more people can speak up now.

over a year ago

Can you give specific examples where non discriminatory or inflammatory speech has been suppressed genuinely? I cant honestly."

Top of my head is feminist Germaine Greer who was deplatformed from several university talks for saying that trans women aren't women.

At least the left is starting to eat itself over this nonsense now.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"It more disappoints me, than offends me, when people are so set in their own ways and opinions that they refuse to even entertain another prospective, and risk being quite insulting in their speech, whether they mean to or not. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I also believe that people should at least try to have an open mind.

For instance, I'm a big fan of Strictly and Dancing On Ice, last year on Strictly there was two men dancing together during a pro dance, this year on DOI there's two men competing in the competition, and all over social media there's people being so against it with often thinly veiled homophobic comments, and the BBC recieved TWO HUNDRED complaints over a two minute dance on Strictly. As a bi woman seeing attitudes like that doesn't offend me. They just disappoint me and frustrate me quite a bit."

The homophobes sure are offended though! Imagine complaining about this to the BBC!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Can you give specific examples where non discriminatory or inflammatory speech has been suppressed genuinely? I cant honestly..

Top of my head is feminist Germaine Greer who was deplatformed from several university talks for saying that trans women aren't women.

At least the left is starting to eat itself over this nonsense now."

Uh... No. That's not a criminal matter. That's not "hate crime". That's people deciding that someone should no longer be given a fairly prestigious honour.

Oh no, the humanity! She's owed this honour, give it back!

over a year ago

It’s very fashionable to get offended over certain things now. I work with somebody 10 years younger than me and difference in what I find acceptable and what she does is huge.

over a year ago

Fortunately this is why the police, CPS, courts, and lawyers have guidance as to what these words mean at law and when they're likely to be taken further. Which (without even looking it up) will look nothing like "virtually anything can be covered", because that's never how it works.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure that more than 95% of my behaviour would not be covered by those words. Possibly more than 99%."

If you want to believe "that it never works like that", then you do that...

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

"It seems the norm nowadays to take offensive. Some of the good old days attitudes have sadly gone where we just didn’t care what other thought or said.

I think back in the day things were still offensive, but those offended, harmed, etc, didn't have a voice.

I'm glad more people can speak up now. "

That’s where I am lucky as it would take a huge effort to offend me as for 99%of the time I don’t care what others say or think of me because in reality who cars what others think.

But this is coming from someone that doesn’t go out to be offensive.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And I'm sure everyone knows about Germaine Greer because... she and her mates talked about it.

Just because she didn't do it on stage, she's still perfectly able to express herself.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure that more than 95% of my behaviour would not be covered by those words. Possibly more than 99%.

If you want to believe "that it never works like that", then you do that... "

And your knowledge of the criminal justice system is...?

over a year ago

Can you give specific examples where non discriminatory or inflammatory speech has been suppressed genuinely? I cant honestly..

Uh... No. That's not a criminal matter. That's not "hate crime". That's people deciding that someone should no longer be given a fairly prestigious honour.

Oh no, the humanity! She's owed this honour, give it back! "

Oh it was I'm afraid, the police interviewed her over it. .

And she's not alone there's lots of feminists falling out with the trans lobby over it, several have lost there jobs .

By *ad steMan
over a year ago

Southport

"Can’t remember ever being offended but no I don’t agree. Everyone’s offended by everything these days! They’re even offended by proxy. I think people do actually sit there and wait for something they can be offended by. To me it’s a pretty sad existence and those are not my people so I simply stay away now. Unless it affects me I try and ignore as it’s just another way of attention seeking in my opinion. "

spot on

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

"And I'm sure everyone knows about Germaine Greer because... she and her mates talked about it.

Just because she didn't do it on stage, she's still perfectly able to express herself. "

Never heard of her is she meant to be important to someone

By *hebritukCouple
over a year ago

London

I don’t like Marmite! That should upset 50% of you?

over a year ago

If you want to believe "that it never works like that", then you do that...

And your knowledge of the criminal justice system is...? "

Something I wouldn't want to discuss on a public forum...

over a year ago

"It more disappoints me, than offends me, when people are so set in their own ways and opinions that they refuse to even entertain another prospective, and risk being quite insulting in their speech, whether they mean to or not. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I also believe that people should at least try to have an open mind.

For instance, I'm a big fan of Strictly and Dancing On Ice, last year on Strictly there was two men dancing together during a pro dance, this year on DOI there's two men competing in the competition, and all over social media there's people being so against it with often thinly veiled homophobic comments, and the BBC recieved TWO HUNDRED complaints over a two minute dance on Strictly. As a bi woman seeing attitudes like that doesn't offend me. They just disappoint me and frustrate me quite a bit.

The homophobes sure are offended though! Imagine complaining about this to the BBC! "

I thought it was hilarious that so many people got THAT angry at it!

Cracking dance though. Getting to see three of my favourite pro dancers on the floor at once was lovely.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh no, the humanity! She's owed this honour, give it back! .

And she's not alone there's lots of feminists falling out with the trans lobby over it, several have lost there jobs .

"

An interview isn't a conviction or even a trial. I've been interviewed by the police!

Growing pains within social justice movements. It's almost as if people can change, adapt, learn, and disagree! Oh dear what a terrible thing

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Universities are not the government. Private institutions can freely choose who they wish to allow to speak. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I don’t like Marmite! That should upset 50% of you? "

How DARE you

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"It’s very fashionable to get offended over certain things now. I work with somebody 10 years younger than me and difference in what I find acceptable and what she does is huge.

"

Yeah but my grandparents generation found racism acceptable so why is it a bad thing that society continues to progress?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It’s very fashionable to get offended over certain things now. I work with somebody 10 years younger than me and difference in what I find acceptable and what she does is huge.

Yeah but my grandparents generation found racism acceptable so why is it a bad thing that society continues to progress?"

And those black and brown people (sorry) get to have their views heard now. I'm all for it.

By *ad steMan
over a year ago

Southport

It is to easy to say that is racist and then there is a Kik off over words that are worth nothing just noise by an ignorant fool PC gone mad

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Yeah but my grandparents generation found racism acceptable so why is it a bad thing that society continues to progress?

And those black and brown people (sorry) get to have their views heard now. I'm all for it. "

Every generation finds the previous a bit backwards, it's the way of the world. I'm almost certain that the next generation will find mine backwards in our views. In fact it's quite interesting to me and somthing me and my dad often discuss.

over a year ago

"It is to easy to say that is racist and then there is a Kik off over words that are worth nothing just noise by an ignorant fool PC gone mad "

Could you please give an example of something that you don’t think is racist and others do? I’m really interested to see where you think the grey area is...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And those black and brown people (sorry) get to have their views heard now. I'm all for it.

Every generation finds the previous a bit backwards, it's the way of the world. I'm almost certain that the next generation will find mine backwards in our views. In fact it's quite interesting to me and somthing me and my dad often discuss."

Oh definitely.

But I think so much of the rise in offence is from those who were always offended (threatened, or worse) but had no way of expressing it without (fear of) reprisal.

over a year ago

"People are probably no more or less offended than they ever were on average. They just get offended at different things. It’s just that now, they feel entitled to tell us that they’re offended, LOUDLY, and expect us to actually care. But I do think vicarious offence is more common now. I think some people do like to be offended on behalf of others publicly, when perhaps mostly it’s best just to pipe down and shut up. That’s especially true if the person or group on behalf of whom they’re being offended isn’t really that offended themselves.

This exactly .

So if you saw racist/homophobic/transphobic actions you’d be cool with it? Because it’s not your problem? "

No I wouldn’t be cool with it at all and I imagine I’d say something/do something about it. Difference is I wouldn’t post it all over social media saying how offended I was and what I did or said.

By *appytochatMan
over a year ago

Deep in the New Forest

As with most things... if it doesnt effect me then I couldnt care less. Got better things to worry about than if someone is offended by something.

over a year ago

This exactly .

So if you saw racist/homophobic/transphobic actions you’d be cool with it? Because it’s not your problem?

No I wouldn’t be cool with it at all and I imagine I’d say something/do something about it. Difference is I wouldn’t post it all over social media saying how offended I was and what I did or said. "

I’ve dealt with this kind of thing for years having a child with special needs. You let things offend you it makes you bitter and angry. Just feel sorry for the sad ignorant people and if they’re worth it try and educate them.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Every generation finds the previous a bit backwards, it's the way of the world. I'm almost certain that the next generation will find mine backwards in our views. In fact it's quite interesting to me and somthing me and my dad often discuss.

Oh definitely.

But I think so much of the rise in offence is from those who were always offended (threatened, or worse) but had no way of expressing it without (fear of) reprisal. "

Of course. You just have to look at how many gay people got into heterosexual marriages and lived a lie because of societies attitudes.

over a year ago

This exactly .

No I wouldn’t be cool with it at all and I imagine I’d say something/do something about it. Difference is I wouldn’t post it all over social media saying how offended I was and what I did or said. "

So the issue here is that you don’t like what people put across on social media. Not that people get offended on other people’s behalf

I think social media can be a little too under everyone’s nose too. I use it mainly to post pictures of animals

over a year ago

Oh no, the humanity! She's owed this honour, give it back! .

An interview isn't a conviction or even a trial. I've been interviewed by the police!

Growing pains within social justice movements. It's almost as if people can change, adapt, learn, and disagree! Oh dear what a terrible thing "

But that applies both ways, how do you know your views aren't wrong?.

You start with the premise that "people simply no longer wanted to hear Greer" that's clearly not true, a large number had paid to listen to her opinions, views and thoughts, the reality is actually a very small number of people like yourself decided that Greer should no longer be able to put those views and opinions to an audience, you as a person can quite rightly decide not to attend or even lawfully demonstrate (although that's doesn't seem to be the current mo) but does your right not to hear her trump others rights to listen.

I want to listen to her despite disagreeing with her on 99% of everything, that 1% is often the only interesting thing that anybody says

over a year ago

That's not surpressing her, that'sjust not providing her with a platform as shes at odds with their values. She can talk wherever she wants to?

I dont see the Welsh rugby union inviting Eddie Jones to chat to Welsh Rugby fans about England coming in a higher position than Wales in the world cup. That's just knowing your audience not being denied an opinion?

over a year ago

That's not surpressing her, that'sjust not providing her with a platform as shes at odds with their values. She can talk wherever she wants to?

I dont see the Welsh rugby union inviting Eddie Jones to chat to Welsh Rugby fans about England coming in a higher position than Wales in the world cup. That's just knowing your audience not being denied an opinion?"

See the post above.

Fully booked sold out venues at public universities, that means some people (not you obviously) want to listen to her opinions and thoughts on various subjects, the fact that you think she shouldn't be able to publicly speak at universities of all places tells me there definitely is a snowflake generation

By *ad steMan
over a year ago

Southport

"It is to easy to say that is racist and then there is a Kik off over words that are worth nothing just noise by an ignorant fool PC gone mad

Could you please give an example of something that you don’t think is racist and others do? I’m really interested to see where you think the grey area is... "

To call a black man a black man some would be offended this may be not best example what come to mind

By *uesdaysfundayCouple
over a year ago

Sandbach

True.

Also a trip to the tower was the prize for discussing certain views in your own home with the wrong person.

During tudor times I should say"

You could if you were high enough in social status, the tower was a pretty elite prison. The rest of us were all shoved together in flea infested pits.

over a year ago

Universities are not the government. Private institutions can freely choose who they wish to allow to speak. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech."

but generally speaking universities are *not* private institutions. They are publicly funded (at least in part), and are governed by many of the same rules that cover other public sector organisations.

over a year ago

This exactly .

So if you saw racist/homophobic/transphobic actions you’d be cool with it? Because it’s not your problem? "

read the last sentence of my original (quoted) post again. I think it qualifies that exact point.

Post new Message to Thread