Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

London - what's your view

Jump to newest

By *isaAndNicoleTrans OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

Just got back from visiting family in London and 4 things struck me.

1. Foxes in the back garden

2. The non stop sound of police sirens

3. Incredible historic buildings that have no famous status in London but would be a major attraction in any other city.

4. Pie n mash - yum yum

What do you all think of London? Personally I love visiting it but much happier living in the north

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Haven't been to London lately, but the sirens really struck me in New York. I found them really irritating.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

Can’t stand the place.

Would never go there if it wasn’t for work.

They should flatten it and start again.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Suburbs are better....fresh air, less noise and not a mindless rush

over a year ago

It’s so busy every where you go but i love getting around London on the tube, so much to see and so little time when I’m there

Absolutely love Camden

over a year ago

London is great for people watching!

Agree with the first 3 points

over a year ago

"Can’t stand the place.

They should flatten it and start again."

What do you dislike about it specifically? Surely it's one of the great cities on the planet?

By *rviennaCouple
over a year ago

Kent

Love the architecture, the parks, the markets and the amazing entertainment it has to offer....but I am happy just visiting occasionally

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I live here, I love it

London is full of wildlife

Re sirens it’s rare I hear them, it all depends where you live and they are not necessarily police sirens either.

As for the buildings they all have a history, just need to find out about them if you have the desire

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Can’t stand the place.

You’d get rid of all the history, the buildings the old alleys that have survived for hundreds of years, to what end ?

over a year ago

Its dirty, exciting, cultured and full of possibility

over a year ago

Love it in very small doses lol but agree with the sirens and add to that the planes! None stop noise, at least where I live it's very noisy but it's just gales!

over a year ago

"Can’t stand the place.

Sad! It would lose all its quirkiness and history! Become modern and unfeeling

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

I've lived here for 13 years now and still love it. Nothing better than a free day to wander a explore a new area!

I'm sure there'll come a point where I've had enough of the bustle and noise, but I haven't got there yet and intend to make the most of it until I do

over a year ago

"I live here, I love it

London is full of wildlife

Re sirens it’s rare I hear them, it all depends where you live and they are not necessarily police sirens either.

As for the buildings they all have a history, just need to find out about them if you have the desire "

Funnily enough I do research the buildings when I get back home every time. Make a mental note of them.

I grew up round elephant and castle, that's where I was, and yes sirens are all emergencies

over a year ago

Nice to visit for theatres and attractions, that's it really..

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

"Can’t stand the place.

You’d get rid of all the history, the buildings the old alleys that have survived for hundreds of years, to what end ? "

You have answered your own question.

Always find the people there dead eyed and unhappy.

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

"

"

You've been hanging out with the wrong people

By *awk90Man
over a year ago

Amsterdam

I really like London!

So many museums, parks, so much history in the town itself... And nice shops, too.

Not sure I'd want to live there, but I do like visiting once in a while

By *aughtyLondonGuyMan
over a year ago

london

I’m my office is south of the Thames, overlooking the Thames 11 floors up. I also live in the centre of London, however I love and hate London in equal measures

over a year ago

Really like London. Feel like it has the same negativity of every other place. People moan about people not speaking on tube but that happens anywhere else. Any other city centre prices are now on par with London.

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

Having been born and lived in London almost all my life I do love the functionality, you can just get things done so easily. Facilities are great and available most hours.

On the down side:

-Too many cars on the road, parking nightmare

-Women in London are muuuuuch harder to connect with than pretty much anywhere else. They're lovely and sweet underneath like anywhere else but are very hard work initially compared to other cities in UK and abroad. Thought it was me for years til I opened my eyes a little (gonna regret saying this haha)

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Can’t stand the place.

You’d get rid of all the history, the buildings the old alleys that have survived for hundreds of years, to what end ?

"

Well it’s a shame you feel like that. I certainly don’t, I love it’s history and quirkinesses

As for dead eyes and unhappiness that’s your opinion but there is definitely a lot of fun and happiness in London

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

"Really like London. Feel like it has the same negativity of every other place. People moan about people not speaking on tube but that happens anywhere else. Any other city centre prices are now on par with London. "

Dont think any other city in the world has a transport system where people not only don't chat but avoid eye contact!

over a year ago

"Really like London. Feel like it has the same negativity of every other place. People moan about people not speaking on tube but that happens anywhere else. Any other city centre prices are now on par with London. "

Absolutely, well except house prices! Now they are in a different league!

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

"Really like London. Feel like it has the same negativity of every other place. People moan about people not speaking on tube but that happens anywhere else. Any other city centre prices are now on par with London.

Absolutely, well except house prices! Now they are in a different league! "

Tell me about it, I'm paying in rent per week what most don't pay in a month!

Do love London though, amazing city!

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Really like London. Feel like it has the same negativity of every other place. People moan about people not speaking on tube but that happens anywhere else. Any other city centre prices are now on par with London.

Dont think any other city in the world has a transport system where people not only don't chat but avoid eye contact! "

You know if you do chat people do chat back, same as a smile it’s infectious

over a year ago

On a mooch

Absolutely, well except house prices! Now they are in a different league!

Tell me about it, I'm paying in rent per week what most don't pay in a month!

Do love London though, amazing city! "

That’s a choice we make to live here

over a year ago

Dont think any other city in the world has a transport system where people not only don't chat but avoid eye contact! "

Yeah that is weird, god forbid you stand on the wrong side of the underground escalators

By *apiomanMan
over a year ago

Shipley

"Just got back from visiting family in London and 4 things struck me.

3. Incredible historic buildings that have no famous status in London but would be a major attraction in any other city.

4. Pie n mash - yum yum

What do you all think of London? Personally I love visiting it but much happier living in the north "

Your last sentence sums it up... great to visit, lovely to head up the M1 home!

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

Dont think any other city in the world has a transport system where people not only don't chat but avoid eye contact!

Yeah that is weird, god forbid you stand on the wrong side of the underground escalators "

People been hung for less!

over a year ago

No one else has mentioned pie n mash yet, surely its gods gift to the world?

over a year ago

"No one else has mentioned pie n mash yet, surely its gods gift to the world? "

I haven’t tried pies n mash but I did have a bangin burrito in Greenwich

over a year ago

On a mooch

"No one else has mentioned pie n mash yet, surely its gods gift to the world? "

I like pie and mash, best Maureen’s in Poplar, but hold the green stuff

over a year ago

I'm from the suburbs of south west london.

I'm glad I moved away!!

I dont hate it and do miss some aspects of it but not enough to make me ever want to live there again.

It's a great place in small doses.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Yeah that is weird, god forbid you stand on the wrong side of the underground escalators "

Especially during rush hour

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

You know if you do chat people do chat back, same as a smile it’s infectious "

Its actually got better as London has diversified but you still need to rattle their comfort zone to initiate a chat. I've been on underground/tram systems where the noise of chatter is deafening!

Having said all that, I was on the end of a 60km bike ride, riding through burnt oak a few months ago. Had taken longer than expected and got really weak and hungry. Was around midnight and passed a fruit shop where they were unloading bananas. They were of an ethnic denomination completely different to mine and not the kinds who you'd expect to mix together ever.

Asked how much 2 would cost, he said here bro take them. Warmed my heart

over a year ago

London has a bit for everyone.

History/arts/music/culture

So much to do and see....

And pie and mash

over a year ago

Its actually got better as London has diversified but you still need to rattle their comfort zone to initiate a chat. I've been on underground/tram systems where the noise of chatter is deafening!

Having said all that, I was on the end of a 60km bike ride, riding through burnt oak a few months ago. Had taken longer than expected and got really weak and hungry. Was around midnight and passed a fruit shop where they were unloading bananas. They were of an ethnic denomination completely different to mine and not the kinds who you'd expect to mix together ever.

Asked how much 2 would cost, he said here bro take them. Warmed my heart "

This is so typical of London. It's nowhere near the unfriendly city that people make it out to be and its definitely 24 hours

over a year ago

I can’t stand London.....

Way too many British people running around....

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

You must not have been to many cities.

over a year ago

"

"

People love me on the tube, i see them smirking away as i chat to the poor people around me

over a year ago

On a mooch

This is so typical of London. It's nowhere near the unfriendly city that people make it out to be and its definitely 24 hours "

It definitely isn’t unfriendly

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

I’m Brixton born & bred. Loved living in London, jumping on the tube & in a few minutes being in Soho etc. Used to spend a lot of time just watching the world go by with some mates. Brick lane at all hours for some grub.

Miss it a lot but we visit family a fair bit & one of our kids is due back to a famous London Hospital in March so we’ll make a day or two of it & visit a park or museum or two.

Would we move back? Not a prayer even if we could afford it. Taken us months to get used to the absolute silence here, outside of the odd owl.

S

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

"

You must not have been to many cities. "

Well I'm not a seasoned traveller but I've been on public transport in several cities in UK and america, Canada, several cities in Europe and the Middle East

over a year ago

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 26/12/19 23:10:01]

over a year ago

Far better places in the UK to visit. Its no longer a English City. Jack and the Beanstalk has been cancelled in London because the giant can no longer smell any English men.

over a year ago

On a mooch

"

People love me on the tube, i see them smirking away as i chat to the poor people around me "

love it

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Far better places in the UK to visit. Its no longer a English City. Jack and the Beanstalk has been cancelled in London because the giant can no longer smell any English men. "

That’s right it’s not an English city, it’s a British one and representative of all the cultures and historical nationalities that make up the United Kingdom

over a year ago

Lived there for many years loved it. One thing that really annoys me is when people moan about how no one talks to you on the tube etc.

Apart from the fact, it’s not true, most people are just going about their lives, getting to work, reading a book, having some time to themselves. If you were doing this and some random person just said hi and tried to spark up conversation, you’d rightly think it was weird.

over a year ago

"Far better places in the UK to visit. Its no longer a English City. Jack and the Beanstalk has been cancelled in London because the giant can no longer smell any English men.

That’s right it’s not an English city, it’s a British one and representative of all the cultures and historical nationalities that make up the United Kingdom

"

Well said.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/12/19 23:16:31]

over a year ago

Personally I love visiting. Love that I’m close enough to pop in but far enough that I can still see it through a tourists eyes if I wish too.

And home to some of the greatest theatre in the world so that alone makes it great to visit.

over a year ago

London is to the UK what Rome is to Italy the rest of the country can't stand you. Fact.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I like going to London. I enjoy seeing the famous buildings and historic sites. The thing that amazes me is that it never closes, there's always something going on.

Things I don't like about London: You can hardly use any cash, zapping your card on the tube and not having a clue how much you're spending and if you drive there it takes half an hour at least to do a couple of miles.

I always enjoy going back to Somerset though.

over a year ago

On a mooch

"London is to the UK what Rome is to Italy the rest of the country can't stand you. Fact. "

That’s your opinion and your entitled to it. There’s places in this country I don’t particularly like but that’s my opinion and everyone has a different one

over a year ago

"I like going to London. I enjoy seeing the famous buildings and historic sites. The thing that amazes me is that it never closes, there's always something going on.

Things I don't like about London: You can hardly use any cash, zapping your card on the tube and not having a clue how much you're spending and if you drive there it takes half an hour at least to do a couple of miles.

I always enjoy going back to Somerset though. "

True, I drove over Tower Bridge last night at 10pm, on Christmas day, and took me 25 mins to get over it. Tourists and cars everywhere. Certainly a city that never sleeps.

over a year ago

This is so typical of London. It's nowhere near the unfriendly city that people make it out to be and its definitely 24 hours

It definitely isn’t unfriendly "

Yes that's what I said. And friendly to everyone

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I like going to London. I enjoy seeing the famous buildings and historic sites. The thing that amazes me is that it never closes, there's always something going on.

I always enjoy going back to Somerset though. "

It’s easy you don’t drive in London. As for the tube you’ll never spend more than the cost of a one day travel card which is about £7.90 no matter how many journeys you make in one day on tube or buses

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

It’s easy you don’t drive in London. As for the tube you’ll never spend more than the cost of a one day travel card which is about £7.90 no matter how many journeys you make in one day on tube or buses "

You're going to think I'm mad but traffic flow is actually pretty awesome in London considering the volume of traffic!

over a year ago

It’s easy you don’t drive in London. As for the tube you’ll never spend more than the cost of a one day travel card which is about £7.90 no matter how many journeys you make in one day on tube or buses

You're going to think I'm mad but traffic flow is actually pretty awesome in London considering the volume of traffic!"

Nooooo! I drive a lot in London as my family is so spread out and I have a nervous breakdown by the time I'm finished lol. Cars, bikes, cyclists, buses, taxis, lanes going from 3 to 1 for no reason, mad roundabouts (especially the elephant and Hyde Park ones), I'm in pieces by the end

By *uffnmuffCouple
over a year ago

London

Born here still here love it here.

By *attb179Man
over a year ago

London

You're going to think I'm mad but traffic flow is actually pretty awesome in London considering the volume of traffic!

Nooooo! I drive a lot in London as my family is so spread out and I have a nervous breakdown by the time I'm finished lol. Cars, bikes, cyclists, buses, taxis, lanes going from 3 to 1 for no reason, mad roundabouts (especially the elephant and Hyde Park ones), I'm in pieces by the end "

Love it!

Was in Montreal in September, one huge fucking car park. Roads full of roadworks, stop signs and traffic lights every few yards, no syncing. 20 minutes minimum to go a few meters down the road in all parts of the city!

over a year ago

Sunday street markets,sitting in pubs people watching,walking along the Thames,early hours of morning in mid summer is incredible,been to some great gigs,but the crowds further north are more enthusiastic,love spending couple days there now n again,but working there's horrendous

over a year ago

4. Pie n mash - yum yum

What do you all think of London? Personally I love visiting it but much happier living in the north "

i love Central london or the city i was born in south London but worked for many years in the city its got everything, entertainment, culture, history, food, transport, nightlife, hotels ok can be quite expensive and can be lonely if you're not interactive but its a vibrant city

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Working In London isn't fun - especially using the tube.

People seem to turn into animals as soon as they get underground.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

It’s easy you don’t drive in London. As for the tube you’ll never spend more than the cost of a one day travel card which is about £7.90 no matter how many journeys you make in one day on tube or buses "

Well I didn't realise there was a limit on the tube. Next time I'll go I'll use it more.

The trouble with living in mid Somerset is that the bus to Bristol, only 20 miles away takes longer than either the coach or the train from Bristol to London.

I generally try and travel by motorbike when I go.

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

"London is to the UK what Rome is to Italy the rest of the country can't stand you. Fact.

That’s your opinion and your entitled to it. There’s places in this country I don’t particularly like but that’s my opinion and everyone has a different one "

Having moved gradually out of London to North Essex & our latest permanent move to Mid Wales I am starting to see the whole of the SE of the country in a different light. In London & Essex.

Drs,Dentists,Hospitals,Shops & Services are pretty much metaphorically within easy grasp 24/7. We’ve been in Wales almost a year & still can’t find an NHS dentist within thirty miles that hasn’t closed their books even to our children. The nearest A&E is twenty five miles & 1hr away. Shops still close on Wednesdays & most banks in small towns are not open on Saturdays.

There are two air ambulances covering the whole of Wales & parts of England while to the best of my knowledge there’s about ten in the same area of the Home Counties.

I drive back to London on a fairly regular basis & can honestly say the arseholes only really appear in significant numbers just this side of reading on the M4 or Oxford if on the M40.

It’s like someone’s told the whole SE it runs & powers the country & they need to push everything & everyone including themselves to destruction & they’ve grown into the entitlement they imagine should go with it.

I think this is what’s behind the statement made and while I wouldn’t use the word hate I can now see this from outside of the London/Home counties bubble.

I lived in it for forty years & never really saw it before because I was part of it.

S

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Having worked in various parts of the UK over 40+ years, including several times living in London, I have experienced how London life was but how it has changed.

I used to enjoy the city back in the mid-70's, you could get around easily, with shopping easy to access anywhere. Night life was cheaper then too and socially, I got to know people.

Over the years, it has changed. Now, with what I hear from friends still living and working there, everyone rushes around as if losing the extra 2 inches of space in front, is a major inconvenience.

If you even look at someone, let alone speak to them on a bus, Tube or train, you're viewed as a loony, terrorist or a nutter.

I once moved from a job in London to one in Edinburgh; my new boss said he'd show me round the city, but within 10 minutes, he'd to rein me in as I was walking at "London Pace" which is much faster!

I seldom visit London now but find that getting round has become confusing. God forbid you mess up Tapping in or out with a card or pass, and you feel 100's of pairs of eyes drilling into you from behind, as if to say "Get out of the way, moron!" They're unforgiving at best!

My style these days is to get in, then out as fast as possible.

over a year ago

On a mooch

"London is to the UK what Rome is to Italy the rest of the country can't stand you. Fact.

That’s your opinion and your entitled to it. There’s places in this country I don’t particularly like but that’s my opinion and everyone has a different one

Having moved gradually out of London to North Essex & our latest permanent move to Mid Wales I am starting to see the whole of the SE of the country in a different light. In London & Essex.

Drs,Dentists,Hospitals,Shops & Services are pretty much metaphorically within easy grasp 24/7. We’ve been in Wales almost a year & still can’t find an NHS dentist within thirty miles that hasn’t closed their books even to our children. The nearest A&E is twenty five miles & 1hr away. Shops still close on Wednesdays & most banks in small towns are not open on Saturdays.

There are two air ambulances covering the whole of Wales & parts of England while to the best of my knowledge there’s about ten in the same area of the Home Counties.

I drive back to London on a fairly regular basis & can honestly say the arseholes only really appear in significant numbers just this side of reading on the M4 or Oxford if on the M40.

It’s like someone’s told the whole SE it runs & powers the country & they need to push everything & everyone including themselves to destruction & they’ve grown into the entitlement they imagine should go with it.

I think this is what’s behind the statement made and while I wouldn’t use the word hate I can now see this from outside of the London/Home counties bubble.

I lived in it for forty years & never really saw it before because I was part of it.

S"

I can see your point. However I would point out that I’ve never been able to find an nhs dentist for my son and has been private all his life. We need to know we are going to be sick two weeks in advance for a doctors appointment. So we are no better off than the rest of the country.

Yes we have two air ambulances but they are charity based. They receive some funding from the nhs but most of it is made up by corporate sponsorship and personal donations to keep them going.

As to shops / banks closing that is down to the individual area and it’s rules and / or demand.

To say London / the SE is entitled or runs the country is far from the mark. We are just normal people like any other that just happen to live in one of the most populated areas of the country

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

S

I can see your point. However I would point out that I’ve never been able to find an nhs dentist for my son and has been private all his life. We need to know we are going to be sick two weeks in advance for a doctors appointment. So we are no better off than the rest of the country.

Yes we have two air ambulances but they are charity based. They receive some funding from the nhs but most of it is made up by corporate sponsorship and personal donations to keep them going.

As to shops / banks closing that is down to the individual area and it’s rules and / or demand.

To say London / the SE is entitled or runs the country is far from the mark. We are just normal people like any other that just happen to live in one of the most populated areas of the country "

Don’t get me wrong I still love London, I’m just seeing the whole SE a bit differently, not better or worse, just different.

Maybe Essex was better covered but we changed dentists two or three times there & they were all within a five mile radius & their books never seemed to be closed.

S

By *omesticated_VixenWoman
over a year ago

sw London

"London is to the UK what Rome is to Italy the rest of the country can't stand you. Fact. "

You just adding “Fact” at the end of a sentence doesn’t actually make it one.

over a year ago

I am going there tomorrow and I know that the traffic will be shit !!

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

What's my view... Can't really see it from here...

I think the cracker jokes have had an affect on me.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Useful for getting stuff and accessing entertainment; interesting for it's history, museums, galleries, buildings etc.; wouldn't want to live there because it's too noisy, polluted and built-up.

Great place to visit and come home from.

By *verage JosephMan
over a year ago

Grays & London

Born & bred there. Not the same as it was but still love it.

And the pie & mash you mentioned!!! It’s the food of gods! Loads of chilli vinegar required though!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

4. Pie n mash - yum yum

It's ok for football away days and up go 48 hours, after that they can keep it as far as I'm concerned.

over a year ago

Born in the east end

Work in the west end

Live in leafy north London

I’ve moved away and been drawn back ! Bright lights big city !

Pie n mash yea but no

Bagel from brick lane is another level altogether

As for the people a mish mash sandwich of everything

As with most big cities you will find good and bad elements

I love the place it’s as simple as that

over a year ago

Absolutely hate it.

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Too rushed, people have no time or patience.

Makes me laugh to see someone sprinting to jump between closing tube train doors because the next train is a whole 30 seconds away

Great city to visit though, couldn't live there.

over a year ago

London is a cleaner version of NYC.....

The last time I was there , I was very disappointed that there was no Tin Pan Jerk Chicken guys selling on the the streets of Brixton and.. it seems greasy fish and chips served in wax/parchment paper has gone the way of the Dodo....

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

It's my home and I do love it. I like the melting pot nature, the attitude, friendliness and the pace of life. I like our sense of humour and tough spirit.

I dislike immensely how London is run and administrated. It's become too expensive to the point where the vibrant and dynamic small enterprises/businesses have been squeezed out in favour of large soulless chains. I don't like how everything seems to have a charge or price attached to it (congestion charge, ULEZ etc) as its simply a form of extortion. Plus I hate the outdated opening hours for pubs (very few drinking options post midnight which don't involve a cover charge).

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

Love it, whether it’s central or the suburbs.. but a cpl of days down there and I want out, must be my age

By *ogglesMan
over a year ago

essex and norfolk

"Can’t stand the place.

I quite agree awful place

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Over-priced and over-crowded.

Did get offered a job in London once.

Told them I was very happy to visit but no way would I live or work there.

That's still true for me today.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Londoner born and bred...Looking to escape it as it's changed dramatically.

I seldom go into town as it's a nightmare, everyone is rushing around, it's noisy, no one queues...it's not too bad in my part of town but burglary has gone up.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"London is to the UK what Rome is to Italy the rest of the country is jealous of you. Fact. "

over a year ago

"Suburbs are better....fresh air, less noise and not a mindless rush"

This

I'm so glad I moved to london at a time when it was possible to afford to rent a flat in the centre of Camden and before the likes of Camden, Soho and Vauxhall had been gentrified and so many bars closed down but I'm also so glad I moved out.

I love London. But I wouldn't want to live there again

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

Really really love it!

Foxes in the back garden is increasingly common, the further down South you go. Thankfully, yiu can hire teams of Tory barristers to chase them out!

I lived in Peckham for 3 years, so guess I've drowned out sirens.

I would like to live just outside London, so I was close enough to pop in and experience it - mmmm, Camden Market! - but far enough away to escape the sensory overload.

4. Pie n mash - yum yum

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Too rushed, people have no time or patience.

Makes me laugh to see someone sprinting to jump between closing tube train doors because the next train is a whole 30 seconds away

Great city to visit though, couldn't live there."

And what you’ll find is that 80% of them running for the tube don’t live here but commute in

over a year ago

Its too rushed too many ignorant people and I tend to get lost

over a year ago

I love working there but couldn’t live there. I’ve had some of my best meets in London!

over a year ago

Hate london..too busy..too noisey..too much traffic. Im born and raised in the suburbs..nearest busy town is a couple of miles away which is perfect.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"I love working there but couldn’t live there. I’ve had some of my best meets in London! "

Yep. London has such a vibrant energy and so much to explore and see and do. There really is nowhere quite like it. I always get excited when working down there (bit daft I know!) and love the myriad of people and culture around me.

On the same hand, it's not a place I'd choose to live. Working and fucking and visiting for fun is more than enough for me.

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

I've grown up in London, but it's changed since I was a kid.

My view now is:

1. Extremely racially/ethnically mixed

2. Uncivilised/arrogant/aggressive

3. Very busy, populous, chaotic

4. Polluted

5. Very easy to get around (thank you tfl and oyster!)

6. Spoilt for choice for eating out/drinks

7. Very historical, scenic

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

As cities go... It's OK. Reasonably easy to find your way around, some impressive architecture (both old and new)... But lacking somewhat in character.

That last one applies to many cities across the globe. Aside from changes in accent/dialect/language and the occasional famous landmark, they are interchangeable, and one city feels much like another... But Paris has a 'feel' to it, as does Manchester (in my opinion), Barcelona, or Amsterdam... I just never really got a sense of London while being in London.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I like visiting every now and again to do the tourist thing or stadium gigs, but I'm also always glad to get away from it and back up north when I've been. Certainly wouldn't live there.

By *peak and SpellCouple
over a year ago

Greenwich, SE LONDON

Odd for a City of that size, it only has two central(ish) Swingers clubs (LB and OurPlace).

Why are there not more?

over a year ago

Love London. the city can do your head in sometimes, but most of those negatives can be found any where else, traffic and ignorance being the main 2. Outside of that, there's always varies different things to do, loads of secret little places to go and a diverse mixed of interesting people that you don't find in most other places.

I do wish theyd start developing signing some more interesting buildings though alot of the new ones add nothing.

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

"Odd for a City of that size, it only has two central(ish) Swingers clubs (LB and OurPlace).

Why are there not more? "

No-one can afford the business rates!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I love London as long as I go there with plenty of time. Love sauntering about and finding quirky hidden bits. I’m a member of a club down there so I can pop in for a bed for the night if I ever need one so I can do it a leisure.

I avoid the tourist bits when I can.

over a year ago

I'd like to see it total flattened and turned into allotments.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Too much traffic, too many people. Can't handls it for more than a few days. I crave open space when I'm in any city. I'm a true country girl.

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

We love the occasional weekend in London. We go for the museums and shopping mainly - Camden has become a tourist attraction in recent years though which is a shame. We don't mind the tourists going so they can photograph us "weirdos", it's all the tat (aka Camden souvenir) shops we don't like, they're damaging the character of the area. Won't stop us going mind - as long as there are still enough alternative shops & stalls to keep us going.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I like the cultural opportunities but don’t like the pollution

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

"Too rushed, people have no time or patience.

Great city to visit though, couldn't live there.

And what you’ll find is that 80% of them running for the tube don’t live here but commute in "

You dont find that the whole place of life is much faster in London than out in the sticks. From my experience up here in "the north" everything seems a million miles an hour in London.

over a year ago

4. Pie n mash - yum yum

I love everything about it, the kids love it. Hubby hates the place

over a year ago

Hate London

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I'd like to see it total flattened and turned into allotments.

"

and then the 10 million that live here would just move to your towns

over a year ago

"Born & bred there. Not the same as it was but still love it.

And the pie & mash you mentioned!!! It’s the food of gods! Loads of chilli vinegar required though!"

Oooohh yes, lots of chilli vinegar and liquor. Got a craving for it now but impossible to buy up here

over a year ago

"We love the occasional weekend in London. We go for the museums and shopping mainly - Camden has become a tourist attraction in recent years though which is a shame. We don't mind the tourists going so they can photograph us "weirdos", it's all the tat (aka Camden souvenir) shops we don't like, they're damaging the character of the area. Won't stop us going mind - as long as there are still enough alternative shops & stalls to keep us going."

I love Camden, not interested in photographing weirdos, I just love the markets and stalls.. it’s so different to Glasgow

over a year ago

Greatest city in the world in my opinion. Wouldn’t want to live there but I love living in the sticks and being able to be in London in 45 minutes

over a year ago

I love staying in London but I like it in small doses.

The amount of parking fines I've had from London, is unbelievable!

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Love it, grew up in South London. Brilliant place to roam.

I now live in North Devon, some very strange interbreeding has occurred here, you can spot it.

I wouldn't move back but, love it wgen I hear a South East accent.

over a year ago

I tend to have a love\hate relationship. It's my second time here

Love: lots of things to do, different cultures, city life etc

Hate: Commuting, high rents, pretentious twats

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

"I tend to have a love\hate relationship. It's my second time here

Hate: Commuting, high rents, pretentious twats"

Clapham used to be a working class area

over a year ago

Last time I was there I almost ended up in hospital as the filthy air made my asthma really bad I couldn't speak a full sentence or walk far. Give me Wales countryside clean air any day

over a year ago

Clapham used to be a working class area"

Most of london was / is working class...just now the jobs are in banking/ IT and stuff like that...paying 100s of grand a year...

over a year ago

I love London but hate the people, having lived just outside of London and spending most of my time in and around London be it for work, gigs, days out etc the homelessness, crime, sirens, foxes etc has become the norm.

It's a beautiful city full of surprises and history, its just hard to distract yourself from all the background commotion to fully embrace it

By *JohnMan
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I love London to visit. The museums, the parks, some bookshops that are far too good at emptying my wallet, the theatre, the architecture, the surprises around every corner. And the people. There's nowhere else in the UK that can give you anything close to that diversity and vibrancy.

There's no way I could live there though. And I will never attempt to drive inside the M25. I'll just continue to visit a few times each year.

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

Had to go there with work for nearly 40 years full of bone idle plastic coçkneys

over a year ago

Celebrated my birthday in London recently.It's full of life in contrast to our home city which is sleepy in comparison. There is so much to see and do you can always find something different to do every time you visit.

What's the swinging scene like in London?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"As cities go... It's OK. Reasonably easy to find your way around, some impressive architecture (both old and new)... But lacking somewhat in character.

That last one applies to many cities across the globe. Aside from changes in accent/dialect/language and the occasional famous landmark, they are interchangeable, and one city feels much like another... But Paris has a 'feel' to it, as does Manchester (in my opinion), Barcelona, or Amsterdam... I just never really got a sense of London while being in London. "

I think that is mainly in part due to extortionate costs of living which have pushed so many born n bred Londoners out so that now a very large percentage of Londoners originate from other parts of the UK or from overseas.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"As cities go... It's OK. Reasonably easy to find your way around, some impressive architecture (both old and new)... But lacking somewhat in character.

That last one applies to many cities across the globe. Aside from changes in accent/dialect/language and the occasional famous landmark, they are interchangeable, and one city feels much like another... But Paris has a 'feel' to it, as does Manchester (in my opinion), Barcelona, or Amsterdam... I just never really got a sense of London while being in London.

I think that is mainly in part due to extortionate costs of living which have pushed so many born n bred Londoners out so that now a very large percentage of Londoners originate from other parts of the UK or from overseas. "

It's a fact that mortgages are more affordable if 8 of you are paying over 25 years at a fixed rate.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Bad outweighs the good for me. Best pie and mash is in Essex and poke your salt beef bagels.. the sirens sound for a reason...

Prefer Southend and day of the week

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And many people who now live in Essex tell me they relocated because it's not a nice place to live..

Visit maybe, live definitely not..

WZ

By *andKBCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

I actually love london!! I love the buzz I love the transport! I love the fact I can order a just eat hahaha.

That's what happens when you live in the ass end of beyond!!

over a year ago

I love London. Its got its bad points but hasn't everywhere.

It's a vibrant, exciting and inclusive city.

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Kings Cross is very good for train spotting.

And it's got platform 9 1/3

over a year ago

I feel like I'm in a foreign country when I'm in some of the suburbs around London.

When I first started going to London, I was expecting to see lots of cockneys.. But no, I don't think I've seen one yet.

over a year ago

Never really spent time in the city as I just catch connecting flights through tbh

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/12/19 02:05:54]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/12/19 02:06:38]

over a year ago

"I've lived here for 13 years now and still love it. Nothing better than a free day to wander a explore a new area!

I'm sure there'll come a point where I've had enough of the bustle and noise, but I haven't got there yet and intend to make the most of it until I do "

I go all the time but normally it’s the same places, do you have a list of things to do, something different

over a year ago

I think that is mainly in part due to extortionate costs of living which have pushed so many born n bred Londoners out so that now a very large percentage of Londoners originate from other parts of the UK or from overseas.

It's a fact that mortgages are more affordable if 8 of you are paying over 25 years at a fixed rate. "

Say what now about mortgages

over a year ago

"I feel like I'm in a foreign country when I'm in some of the suburbs around London.

When I first started going to London, I was expecting to see lots of cockneys.. But no, I don't think I've seen one yet. "

Well what does a cockney look like?

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Suburbs are better....fresh air, less noise and not a mindless rush

This

I'm so glad I moved to london at a time when it was possible to afford to rent a flat in the centre of Camden and before the likes of Camden, Soho and Vauxhall had been gentrified and so many bars closed down but I'm also so glad I moved out.

I love London. But I wouldn't want to live there again"

I'm in Vauxhall every weekday: whenever I'm approaching Vauxhall bus station, with the high rises I think what a shit hole. It's a concrete jungle. Daresay a one bed flat in one of those phallic monstrosities is worth more than my Dulwich semi, nevertheless, the noise, the traffic, the road system...not for me.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Clapham used to be a working class area"

Indeed! Lived in Clapham, my school was in Clapham Common. Working class street, mainly Jamaicans. My old family home last sold for £1.5m. My parents would never have been able to contemplate that!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I feel like I'm in a foreign country when I'm in some of the suburbs around London.

When I first started going to London, I was expecting to see lots of cockneys.. But no, I don't think I've seen one yet. "

I'm assuming you mean "white" British?

In fairness there are parts of London where you do have to check the location on your phone to confirm you're in London as you don't see a white face.

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

Clapham used to be a working class area

Indeed! Lived in Clapham, my school was in Clapham Common. Working class street, mainly Jamaicans. My old family home last sold for £1.5m. My parents would never have been able to contemplate that!"

Mine lived in Brixton for forty years, Same house too. Then sold up moved to the south coast. No mortgage, a fair few bob in the bank & a nice lifestyle.

We just did the same, just without the fair few bob in the bank

There’s more work here for me than back in Essex though so it’s all good

S

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

An absolute sh#t hole!

Sorry if this offends anyone but I can't stand the place, or most of the people in it.

over a year ago

When I first started going to London, I was expecting to see lots of cockneys.. But no, I don't think I've seen one yet.

I'm assuming you mean "white" British?

In fairness there are parts of London where you do have to check the location on your phone to confirm you're in London as you don't see a white face. "

Just because someone isn't white does not mean they are not English or a Londoner!

Post new Message to Thread