Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why are pubs so quiet?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It's boxing night and I'm sat in a room with two people.

I can't remember it being like this when I was younger.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Smoking ban and supermarket prices

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Most folk are back at work tomorrow too.

By *exymidscouple2017Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Everyone's back in work tomorrow

over a year ago

Have a word with yourself it dont take a lot of working out

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Most folk are still doing family, Christmas stuff

over a year ago

"Have a word with yourself it dont take a lot of working out "

I have and I can remember other boxing nights being mental!

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I was meant to be out but my mate flaked on me so watching films and drinking at home now

over a year ago

It's not like it used to be where hardly anywhere was open boxing day. For an awful lot now it's just a normal day or Sunday hours so many many people are at work instead of being able to spend time with their family and friends.

P

over a year ago

"Everyone's back in work tomorrow "

I'm not back until Jan 2nd...

over a year ago

You drink in the wrong places?

over a year ago

"Most folk are back at work tomorrow too. "

Nah they ain't. It costs too much and they banned smoking. That's why people don't bother anymore.

over a year ago

"Most folk are back at work tomorrow too.

Nah they ain't. It costs too much and they banned smoking. That's why people don't bother anymore. "

Not many send Christmas cards anymore either

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

People are saving themselves for either the weekend or new year.

over a year ago

"People are saving themselves for either the weekend or new year. "

Christmas use to be one big weekend

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Ireland had a smoking ban before us and people still go to pubs over there so can't just attribute it to that. I prefer smokeless pubs.

I think there's been a shift in culture.

Coffee shops didn't really exist when I was younger, they were just something on American TV, if we wanted to see friends, we'd go to a pub. Now people meet for a coffee.

Those people who'd go to work, then pub every day are older, probably retirement older. They were also usually men and that's not really acceptable these days in marriages where the work is 50/50.

Everyone just used to drink lagers, now they want craft and real ales, so avoid chains and brewery controlled stock pubs and go somewhere smaller and independent with a greater selection of beers.

People of my age are settled down with kids so can't get out all the time. The younger generation go to the gym to 'train', not sure what they're training for, we just use to call it working out, but they're watching what they consume and drinking protein shakes.

Pubs more focussed on food than drinks. Wetherspoons rapid growth with cheap prices stealing trade.

Overall, it's a combination of factors.

over a year ago

I thought it was just me! I’m sure xmas drinking used to be a lot busier in years gone by x

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

Boxing day used to be the one big night out of the year when everyone was out, even all the old friends and acquaintances who had moved away for uni or work were usually back in the area staying with family etc and would be out on boxing day for a catch up. Certainly where I'm from originally most people started drinking mid afternoon and carried on till the last bar/club in town shut. The majority of people my age now have young kids so I guess for them it's changed to how things were a decade or more ago, but you don't even see many of the late teens/early 20's lot out in town now either. They prefer living their lives over social media than actually being out enjoying themselves!

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Times change.

Attitudes change.

Interests change.

Pubs in general are dieing out, as are a lot of the customers that used to fill them. The younger crowds are more likely to be at a bar or club, or a house party (cheaper to buy in).

Lots of people will be short on cash these days, the cost/pressure of Christmas is going up. So they will be finding cheaper alternatives. Lots of people will also be back in work tomorrow, again trying to make some of that cash back, the world doesn't stop between Christmas and New year.

Also its more common (though still uncommon in general) these days to find people that just don't drink, or at least drink very little.

over a year ago

"Ireland had a smoking ban before us and people still go to pubs over there so can't just attribute it to that. I prefer smokeless pubs.

I think there's been a shift in culture.

Coffee shops didn't really exist when I was younger, they were just something on American TV, if we wanted to see friends, we'd go to a pub. Now people meet for a coffee.

Those people who'd go to work, then pub every day are older, probably retirement older. They were also usually men and that's not really acceptable these days in marriages where the work is 50/50.

Everyone just used to drink lagers, now they want craft and real ales, so avoid chains and brewery controlled stock pubs and go somewhere smaller and independent with a greater selection of beers.

People of my age are settled down with kids so can't get out all the time. The younger generation go to the gym to 'train', not sure what they're training for, we just use to call it working out, but they're watching what they consume and drinking protein shakes.

Pubs more focussed on food than drinks. Wetherspoons rapid growth with cheap prices stealing trade.

Overall, it's a combination of factors. "

Pubs in Ireland are a lot better night out in general compared to pubs in the UK. They have music and much more of an atmosphere than pubs which I've been to in the UK.

You have made some very good points though.

By *andy_tomMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Theres nobody in them ,

Post new Message to Thread