Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

TV licence why do we pay for it

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Only just to watch repeated TV continually..

Seriously it's time to be scraped...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

Tv , BBC , ITV etc is really needed a licence to have fun ?

Who cares

By *ourayloversCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

It's so the pedos at the BBC can afford better lawyers

By *lap.n.tickleCouple
over a year ago

sunny Manchester :)

I don't

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

3rd TV License thread in 2 days. There’s 2 running in the lounge

over a year ago

"3rd TV License thread in 2 days. There’s 2 running in the lounge "
don't see any on the first page.

over a year ago

"It's so the pedos at the BBC can afford better lawyers"

over a year ago

Just don't have a tv then no reason to moan

over a year ago

"Just don't have a tv then no reason to moan "
Is there a forum rule I'm not allowed to moan Like

over a year ago

"3rd TV License thread in 2 days. There’s 2 running in the lounge don't see any on the first page. "

Just search doesn’t have to be on page one for it to be current

over a year ago

"Just don't have a tv then no reason to moan Is there a forum rule I'm not allowed to moan Like "

Not at all lol I just haven't had a tv for 14 years and notice how much people complain about it! Just a helpful observation

By *aul DeUther-OneMan
over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

How many of the people who question paying TV licence fee already pay subscription fees to other services eg Sky, Virgin etc...?

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

We pay for it because it is the law of the land to have one....

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

You don't need a license to see me

By *irenGuy70Man
over a year ago

Cirencester

The licencing laws are so draconian nowadays - you even need one to watch tv through a shop window!

By *ering SeaMan
over a year ago

Penicuik

Never had a licence in 5 years. I refuse to fund the establishment propaganda machine

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

because it pays for numerous national and local tv stations multiple local and national radio stations multiple digital radio channels intetnational broadcasting internet channels cbeebies cbbc all for less than £2 a week be carefull what you wish for because you will miss it when its gone to be replaced by numerous comersial services . if you have ever seen the poor public funded services abroad you will understand

over a year ago

I'm with the above poster ^^ it covers lots and lots! Which you'll miss when they've gone!

over a year ago

Please pay your TV license, I don't give a shit about television but non commercial radio is a must! Radio adverts are so bloody annoying!

over a year ago

I dont. Why pay for it? I pay for sky tv and watch that, i listen to spotify.. which i pay for. Not payed it in 10+ years

over a year ago

The toire policy for the election pledge, they said they will cancel the licence

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"I dont. Why pay for it? I pay for sky tv and watch that, i listen to spotify.. which i pay for. Not payed it in 10+ years"

Rather self centered view point, if I may say........ Paid my TV license and looks like I am going to have to go on paying. If that is the case, so be it. Pays for the wonderful BBC....

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

i dont pay it cancelled few years back, am happier than ever since knowing i dont pay the bbc. it was a complete waste of money

over a year ago

"I dont. Why pay for it? I pay for sky tv and watch that, i listen to spotify.. which i pay for. Not payed it in 10+ years

Rather self centered view point, if I may say........ Paid my TV license and looks like I am going to have to go on paying. If that is the case, so be it. Pays for the wonderful BBC.... "

Hardly self centered the bbc is far from wonderful. I have zero interest in the bbc its just a corrupt cooperation on many accounts. Ive had afew letters but 'returned to sender' never heard a peep.

over a year ago

"I dont. Why pay for it? I pay for sky tv and watch that, i listen to spotify.. which i pay for. Not payed it in 10+ years"

I think you legally need a TV license to watch Sky TV. Spotify is terrible, using covers of top songs to avoid paying the original artists is just wrong!

over a year ago

"I dont. Why pay for it? I pay for sky tv and watch that, i listen to spotify.. which i pay for. Not payed it in 10+ years

I think you legally need a TV license to watch Sky TV. Spotify is terrible, using covers of top songs to avoid paying the original artists is just wrong!"

Spotify is music audio

over a year ago

I think you legally need a TV license to watch Sky TV. Spotify is terrible, using covers of top songs to avoid paying the original artists is just wrong!Spotify is music audio "

I know what spotify is. I used to subscribe, then started to notice just how much content was done by fakes and cover bands, just not quite the real thing like KTel records back in my youth.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

"because it pays for numerous national and local tv stations multiple local and national radio stations multiple digital radio channels intetnational broadcasting internet channels cbeebies cbbc all for less than £2 a week be carefull what you wish for because you will miss it when its gone to be replaced by numerous comersial services . if you have ever seen the poor public funded services abroad you will understand "

so if you dont listen to the bbc radio at all, dont watch the bbc tv channels, kids dont either, i have to pay it?, like paying for car insurance but dont own a car basically.

am happy to see it replaced with adverts, its not a problem at all 3-5mins of ads and easy to skip if you dont watch live.

one other reason i dont pay is it is left biased, and does not represent the country

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

I think you legally need a TV license to watch Sky TV. Spotify is terrible, using covers of top songs to avoid paying the original artists is just wrong!"

Spotify is fantastic. I get to listen to entire discography of bands from now or 40 years ago. I don’t know what you’ve been listening to if all you got were covers (and incidentally cover versions still have to pay the original writer so they aren’t free to broadcast). I use a Spotify playlist to hear bands I didn’t previously know.

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

"because it pays for numerous national and local tv stations multiple local and national radio stations multiple digital radio channels intetnational broadcasting internet channels cbeebies cbbc all for less than £2 a week be carefull what you wish for because you will miss it when its gone to be replaced by numerous comersial services . if you have ever seen the poor public funded services abroad you will understand

so if you dont listen to the bbc radio at all, dont watch the bbc tv channels, kids dont either, i have to pay it?, like paying for car insurance but dont own a car basically.

am happy to see it replaced with adverts, its not a problem at all 3-5mins of ads and easy to skip if you dont watch live.

one other reason i dont pay is it is left biased, and does not represent the country"

You don’t need a licence to listen to any radio station. You haven’t needed one since 1960ish.

By *illy999TV/TS
over a year ago

Taunton

"I is a TV" but I don't watch too much TV save for the cycling which is on ITV 4 & maybe some selective outputs?

Marshall McLuhan summed the media so did that nazi Joseph Goebbels...

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"because it pays for numerous national and local tv stations multiple local and national radio stations multiple digital radio channels intetnational broadcasting internet channels cbeebies cbbc all for less than £2 a week be carefull what you wish for because you will miss it when its gone to be replaced by numerous comersial services . if you have ever seen the poor public funded services abroad you will understand

one other reason i dont pay is it is left biased, and does not represent the country"

left biased ? if laura counsberg had been any further up Borisses arse sho could of kissed pestons feet

over a year ago

"Only just to watch repeated TV continually..

Seriously it's time to be scraped... "

Just thought about it and realized I have not watched BBC for over a year. Is it just me?

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

The TV Licence was set up under the BBC Charter years ago, but which is coming up for review in a few years.

The Govt sets the Licence fee.

There have been comments already about watching SKY or similar stations, but people reckon they don't need a licence.

However, if you watch any Live TV, ie, when programmes are first transmitted or are streamed via IPlayer, a licence is required. That's on top of any fees to the service providers already paid.

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Rather self centered view point, if I may say........ Paid my TV license and looks like I am going to have to go on paying. If that is the case, so be it. Pays for the wonderful BBC....

Hardly self centered the bbc is far from wonderful. I have zero interest in the bbc its just a corrupt cooperation on many accounts. Ive had afew letters but 'returned to sender' never heard a peep."

You come across as only being interested in your view. I am sure the BBC ( Corporation ) has its short comings but overall it provides a truly wonderful public service broadcasting network. I really hope no government, of any complexion, ceases to support it. Without the BBC I doubt I would have any network that would serve my needs.

In paying my BBC license I feel I am helping to pay for a service that may benefit other and be of interest to them. Very easy to become part of the "ME" generation that cares very little for the social fabric of this country.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I pay cos I don’t like adverts.

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

one other reason i dont pay is it is left biased, and does not represent the countryleft biased ? if laura counsberg had been any further up Borisses arse sho could of kissed pestons feet "

Laura Kunesberg (note correct spelling) is a professional journalist who reports the news to the nation.

over a year ago

Hardly self centered the bbc is far from wonderful. I have zero interest in the bbc its just a corrupt cooperation on many accounts. Ive had afew letters but 'returned to sender' never heard a peep.

You come across as only being interested in your view. I am sure the BBC ( Corporation ) has its short comings but overall it provides a truly wonderful public service broadcasting network. I really hope no government, of any complexion, ceases to support it. Without the BBC I doubt I would have any network that would serve my needs.

In paying my BBC license I feel I am helping to pay for a service that may benefit other and be of interest to them. Very easy to become part of the "ME" generation that cares very little for the social fabric of this country. "

Please note 'i have' ,'I dont', 'Ive had'..... a voice of personal opinion.

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

We pay so BBC can support paedos

By *xperimentalistMan
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"You don't need a license to see me "

This seems to have missed the appreciation it should have got lol

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"We pay so BBC can support paedos"

Where does piece of logic originate from? I am sure the license fee pays for many things but doubt "" support paedos "" is one of them.....

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/12/19 15:43:22]

over a year ago

do we really

How did you some up on that one

over a year ago

OMG is this true? I always knew that guy from that show was a nonce.

I'll be flinging my telly out the window in protest.

over a year ago

We don't pay for it and haven't done so for years, it's incredibly easy to opt out of it as long as you give up LIVE broadcasts, you can still use your TV for other things.

By *andD300Couple
over a year ago

london

"We pay for it because it is the law of the land to have one...."

Depends on what you watch. We don’t have one v

By *andD300Couple
over a year ago

london

"We don't pay for it and haven't done so for years, it's incredibly easy to opt out of it as long as you give up LIVE broadcasts, you can still use your TV for other things."

As we do.

over a year ago

"We don't pay for it and haven't done so for years, it's incredibly easy to opt out of it as long as you give up LIVE broadcasts, you can still use your TV for other things.

As we do. "

Is live broadcast classed as watching Corrie say for instance? Or literally “live tv “

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"We don't pay for it and haven't done so for years, it's incredibly easy to opt out of it as long as you give up LIVE broadcasts, you can still use your TV for other things.

As we do.

Is live broadcast classed as watching Corrie say for instance? Or literally “live tv “"

Watching Coronation Street would be classed as watching "live" TV and therefore you would need a license.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

As we do.

Is live broadcast classed as watching Corrie say for instance? Or literally “live tv “"

If you watch any TV show or movie that is at its scheduled broadcast time then you need a TV licence regardless of what, channel or platform you watch it on. Doesn't even need to be watched on a TV.

If it is on a catchup/streaming service other than BBC iplayer then you don't need a TV licence.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

The only show on BBC that I have watched recently is His Dark Materials (and that was a joint production with HBO). I don't listen to a single BBC radio station (I rarely listen to any).

I pay for Netflix, I have amazon prime, I'll likely pay for disney+ in the future, I drop in to nowtv when I feel like it. Every single one of them is subscription based, I can leave them whenever I like, and I do so. They also have a much better selection of shows to watch in addition to movies, Netflix originals are much better entertainment (mostly) than the shite that the BBC make.

Each individual streaming service costs less yearly than the TV licence, which is less optional.

It is entertainment, it should not come with a mandatory cost especially when it is barely, if ever, used.

What is spent on the licence would be better put towards a more critical service - NHS, police etc.

Get advertising on the channel, do away with the license.

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple
over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

We actually phoned up and cancelled ours today. We only watch Netflix or play on the Xbox 1, phoned them today and explained and they said best to cancel it. Took about 5 minutes and is saving us over a £100 a year.

- Mrs

over a year ago

"We pay so BBC can support paedos

OMG is this true? I always knew that guy from that show was a nonce.

I'll be flinging my telly out the window in protest."

no its not true

over a year ago

As we do.

Is live broadcast classed as watching Corrie say for instance? Or literally “live tv “

If you watch any TV show or movie that is at its scheduled broadcast time then you need a TV licence regardless of what, channel or platform you watch it on. Doesn't even need to be watched on a TV.

If it is on a catchup/streaming service other than BBC iplayer then you don't need a TV licence. "

So you don’t just need a tv license for bbc you need it for itv? So why are itv subsided by advertising?

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

As we do.

If it is on a catchup/streaming service other than BBC iplayer then you don't need a TV licence.

So you don’t just need a tv license for bbc you need it for itv? So why are itv subsided by advertising?"

You need a TV license for BBC, itv, sky, free view etc if you watch it at the time it is scheduled to be broadcast.

If you are watching BBC iplayer you need a TV license.

If you are watching anything else that is not BBC on a streaming/catch up service you don't need a TV license.

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

"

Spotify is terrible, using covers of top songs to avoid paying the original artists is just wrong!Spotify is music audio

I know what spotify is. I used to subscribe, then started to notice just how much content was done by fakes and cover bands, just not quite the real thing like KTel records back in my youth. "

The 50p ones ? Nice covers though shit versions Leader of the pack was a mini not a motorbike

over a year ago

As we do.

So you don’t just need a tv license for bbc you need it for itv? So why are itv subsided by advertising?

You need a TV license for BBC, itv, sky, free view etc if you watch it at the time it is scheduled to be broadcast.

If you are watching anything else that is not BBC on a streaming/catch up service you don't need a TV license."

I’m confused now, so my TV License is also for ITV? So why do itv use advertising? Really confused now as I thought as long as your not watching bbc your ok, but your saying now you need a license for itv?

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

As we do.

If you are watching anything else that is not BBC on a streaming/catch up service you don't need a TV license.

I’m confused now, so my TV License is also for ITV? So why do itv use advertising? Really confused now as I thought as long as your not watching bbc your ok, but your saying now you need a license for itv?"

You’ve always needed a licence to watch itv live. You need one for any live program. You do not need one for catch up tv. That doesn’t mean something you have recorded.

over a year ago

As we do.

I’m confused now, so my TV License is also for ITV? So why do itv use advertising? Really confused now as I thought as long as your not watching bbc your ok, but your saying now you need a license for itv?

You’ve always needed a licence to watch itv live. You need one for any live program. You do not need one for catch up tv. That doesn’t mean something you have recorded. "

But watching emmerdale or Corrie isn’t live! It’s pre recorded. You’ve always needed a license for BBC because they aren’t subsided by advertising. So now you need a license for itv?

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

As we do.

You’ve always needed a licence to watch itv live. You need one for any live program. You do not need one for catch up tv. That doesn’t mean something you have recorded.

But watching emmerdale or Corrie isn’t live! It’s pre recorded. You’ve always needed a license for BBC because they aren’t subsided by advertising. So now you need a license for itv?"

Yes the wording of live is confusing. It applies to any show that is being broadcast as its scheduled time. None catch up.

Including sky, virgin, anything on any channel.

However for anything that is BBC, catch up or scheduled broadcast it doesn't matter you need it regardless.

Catch up or streaming is fine though.

over a year ago

As we do.

But watching emmerdale or Corrie isn’t live! It’s pre recorded. You’ve always needed a license for BBC because they aren’t subsided by advertising. So now you need a license for itv?

Yes the wording of live is confusing. It applies to any show that is being broadcast as its scheduled time. None catch up.

However for anything that is BBC, catch up or scheduled broadcast it doesn't matter you need it regardless.

Catch up or streaming is fine though. "

I was only aware you needed a license for bbc only? Regardless. So now the tv licence is for ITV as well as BBC?

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

As we do.

I was only aware you needed a license for bbc only? Regardless. So now the tv licence is for ITV as well as BBC? "

The licence is for all live tv. Tv that is broadcast to the whole country at the same time.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

As we do.

I was only aware you needed a license for bbc only? Regardless. So now the tv licence is for ITV as well as BBC?

The licence is for all live tv. Tv that is broadcast to the whole country at the same time. "

Indeed. Again live is a confusing word to use in such things, but yes. It's always been like that, regardless of the channel or provider.

over a year ago

As we do.

The licence is for all live tv. Tv that is broadcast to the whole country at the same time. "

But I was alw always aware it was for BBC only as their not subsided by advertising. But your saying now you need one for ITV also!? So if you don’t watch bbc you still need a license for itv?

over a year ago

As we do.

The licence is for all live tv. Tv that is broadcast to the whole country at the same time.

But I was alw always aware it was for BBC only as their not subsided by advertising. But your saying now you need one for ITV also!? So if you don’t watch bbc you still need a license for itv?"

So why do itv have adverts?

over a year ago

"The toire policy for the election pledge, they said they will cancel the licence "

No they didn't, they said they would decriminalise not having one. Big difference between that and cancelling the licence.

over a year ago

When I opted out of the licence it stated you need on if you

Watch any BBC channel live or on demand or recorded

Other then that you don't need one.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"because it pays for numerous national and local tv stations multiple local and national radio stations multiple digital radio channels intetnational broadcasting internet channels cbeebies cbbc all for less than £2 a week be carefull what you wish for because you will miss it when its gone to be replaced by numerous comersial services . if you have ever seen the poor public funded services abroad you will understand "

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

As we do.

But I was alw always aware it was for BBC only as their not subsided by advertising. But your saying now you need one for ITV also!? So if you don’t watch bbc you still need a license for itv?

So why do itv have adverts?"

Because the money only goes to the BBC.

over a year ago

As we do.

Because the money only goes to the BBC. "

It is a royal charter and it goes to the queen and BBC

over a year ago

I pay for sky £36 per month. I pay Netflix about £12 per month I pay amazon prime £30 per month so why the fook can’t our tv license be included in our subscriptions? Our line rental from BT is

over a year ago

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/charter

BBC and the Queen

Royal charter information

over a year ago

As we do.

Because the money only goes to the BBC. "

I’m proper shocked

over a year ago

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/charter

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Haven't had time to read through the above, me I think it should be optional. I'd like to opt out of it altogether, theyve given away/sold all the decent sports, fuck em

over a year ago

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/how_we_govern/2016/agreement.pdf

this explains why we all pay a tv licence well those that do

over a year ago

As we do.

I’m proper shocked "

So itv are just as bad as BBC?

over a year ago

As we do.

I’m proper shocked

So itv are just as bad as BBC? "

Or worse as they have adverts?

over a year ago

"http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/how_we_govern/2016/agreement.pdf

this explains why we all pay a tv licence well those that do "

I’ve always paid mine and was thinking of opting out. But won’t now as I watch itv a lot. I didn’t know you needed a license for itv

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I only watch 3 p3ogs on bbc and i watch them m on catch up, pissed of that I am forced to subscribe to something I can do without

over a year ago

"I only watch 3 p3ogs on bbc and i watch them m on catch up, pissed of that I am forced to subscribe to something I can do without "

Don’t watch them then

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"I only watch 3 p3ogs on bbc and i watch them m on catch up, pissed of that I am forced to subscribe to something I can do without "

And add to that they weanna scrap old age fees....nah, id rather not watch it

over a year ago

"I only watch 3 p3ogs on bbc and i watch them m on catch up, pissed of that I am forced to subscribe to something I can do without

And add to that they weanna scrap old age fees....nah, id rather not watch it "

Don’t watch it then. I’ll pay my license I always have. I’m more annoyed at ITV, making out our licence was for BBC only when it’s not

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I only watch 3 p3ogs on bbc and i watch them m on catch up, pissed of that I am forced to subscribe to something I can do without

Don’t watch it then. I’ll pay my license I always have. I’m more annoyed at ITV, making out our licence was for BBC only when it’s not "

It is. ITV don't see any of the money.

over a year ago

Afer watching war of the worlds drama god knows

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Don’t watch it then. I’ll pay my license I always have. I’m more annoyed at ITV, making out our licence was for BBC only when it’s not

It is. ITV don't see any of the money."

It is not Itv that make you pay the license, it is BBC (and the gov).

over a year ago

It is not Itv that make you pay the license, it is BBC (and the gov). "

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"When I opted out of the licence it stated you need on if you

Watch any BBC channel live or on demand or recorded

Other then that you don't need one. "

"Live" TV applies to any Television Channel, not just the BBC.

Thus, if you watched a show on, say Channel 4, as it was broadcast for the first time, you need a licence.

Also, if you recorded it at the time directly at the time, OR simultaneously via the Channel 4 streaming service, you will need a Licence.

But if you watch it later via a catch-up service, it isn't "live" and thus doesn't require a licence.

If you decide to view programmes as they are broadcast for first time, on your phone, tablet or PC, you need a licence.

If you need good, honest advice, look at the Money Saving expert website. It lays it out clearly.

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Don’t watch it then. I’ll pay my license I always have. I’m more annoyed at ITV, making out our licence was for BBC only when it’s not "

Adverts pay for the other channels, the licence fee pays the bbc's wages and program costs.

over a year ago

Tradition....unfortunately.

over a year ago

the fee gets paid into a consolidated fund

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Everyone thinks it’s BBC "

What are you talking about?

The TV license is BBC and government. The money goes to no other TV station or provider other than the BBC. They however control /rule/dictatorship over current broadcast (aka live scheduled broadcasting).

ITV have no say or control in it, they need advertising to be able to provide their service. At no point has ITV ever mislead anyone about the TV license. Same goes for sky and all the other channels.

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

The TV license is BBC and government. The money goes to no other TV station or provider other than the BBC. They however control /rule/dictatorship over current broadcast (aka live scheduled broadcasting).

ITV have no say or control in it, they need advertising to be able to provide their service. At no point has ITV ever mislead anyone about the TV license. Same goes for sky and all the other channels. "

Exactly, and I would be the first to opt out

over a year ago

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

ITV have no say or control in it, they need advertising to be able to provide their service. At no point has ITV ever mislead anyone about the TV license. Same goes for sky and all the other channels. "

What am I talking about?

I always was lead to believe our tv license was for bbc only. Itv had advertising, however I know now our licence includes ITV. Please don’t patronise me, i was unsure, now I know. Thankyou

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I meant to include in my last post, some people are confused about pre-recorded programmes vs live TV.

Say you watch a programme as it happens, like a football match - that is Live TV.

Any Programme that has been pre-recorded at any previous time, be that days, weeks, months or years before, then becomes "Live" at the moment it is TRANSMITTED - for that, you need a Licence for BBC 1/2, ITV, CH4, CH5, Freeview, and certain other providers.

Once it's been shown, it's no longer classified as "live".

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

ITV have no say or control in it, they need advertising to be able to provide their service. At no point has ITV ever mislead anyone about the TV license. Same goes for sky and all the other channels.

What am I talking about?

I always was lead to believe our tv license was for bbc only. Itv had advertising, however I know now our licence includes ITV. Please don’t patronise me, i was unsure, now I know. Thankyou "

I'm not patronising you.

You said

"I’m more annoyed at ITV, making out our licence was for BBC only when it’s not"

To which I'm pointing out that there is nothing to be annoyed at itv for. They did not mislead you or make out the TV license was for BBC only.

If somebody else has told you otherwise that is on that person alone, not ITV.

over a year ago

"I meant to include in my last post, some people are confused about pre-recorded programmes vs live TV.

Say you watch a programme as it happens, like a football match - that is Live TV.

Any Programme that has been pre-recorded at any previous time, be that days, weeks, months or years before, then becomes "Live" at the moment it is TRANSMITTED - for that, you need a Licence for BBC 1/2, ITV, CH4, CH5, Freeview, and certain other providers.

Once it's been shown, it's no longer classified as "live"."

So basically you need a license unless you watch anything on catch up minus bbc

over a year ago

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

What am I talking about?

I always was lead to believe our tv license was for bbc only. Itv had advertising, however I know now our licence includes ITV. Please don’t patronise me, i was unsure, now I know. Thankyou

I'm not patronising you.

You said

"I’m more annoyed at ITV, making out our licence was for BBC only when it’s not"

To which I'm pointing out that there is nothing to be annoyed at itv for. They did not mislead you or make out the TV license was for BBC only.

If somebody else has told you otherwise that is on that person alone, not ITV."

Most people think your tv license is for bbc only. Not just me

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i am so tempted to keep a list of names of people in the thread just in case there are threads for line of duty....or.. the bodyguard... for example just so i can keep a record of who to call hypocrites...

or that wildlife documentry that was made by the natural history unit....

or that doctor who... made by bbc wales.....

i am not really much of a BBC tv watcher... but if it basically cost me 40ish pence a day.... plus like someone said all the national and local radio stations they run....

plus i am guessing none of you have been on the bbc website either....

iplayer anyone????

over a year ago

"i am so tempted to keep a list of names of people in the thread just in case there are threads for line of duty....or.. the bodyguard... for example just so i can keep a record of who to call hypocrites...

or that wildlife documentry that was made by the natural history unit....

or that doctor who... made by bbc wales.....

i am not really much of a BBC tv watcher... but if it basically cost me 40ish pence a day.... plus like someone said all the national and local radio stations they run....

plus i am guessing none of you have been on the bbc website either....

iplayer anyone????

"

I watch bbc I pay my license!! I’m just curious

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

Be careful with a potential gotcha. Some streaming services such as amazon prime now offer pay for view programs. Usually a sports event. These are live programs not catch up and you need a licence to stay legal.

over a year ago

"Be careful with a potential gotcha. Some streaming services such as amazon prime now offer pay for view programs. Usually a sports event. These are live programs not catch up and you need a licence to stay legal. "

I’ve a license I always have had one. I also pay sky and Netflix and amazon. Was just curious

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

What am I talking about?

I'm not patronising you.

You said

Most people think your tv license is for bbc only. Not just me"

I know. But as I have stated, you specifically said you are annoyed at itv. When itv have done nothing wrong.

Bottom line is that the TV license is a mandatory payment to watch scheduled broadcast television, that funds the BBC. Controlled by the BBC and the government.

No other channel or provider has any say in it or receives any of the money from it. So regardless of what people think the license is for there is no reason to be annoyed with itv or any other channel as they do not mislead about the license.

over a year ago

Everyone thinks it’s BBC

What am I talking about?

I'm not patronising you.

You said

Most people think your tv license is for bbc only. Not just me

I know. But as I have stated, you specifically said you are annoyed at itv. When itv have done nothing wrong.

Bottom line is that the TV license is a mandatory payment to watch scheduled broadcast television, that funds the BBC. Controlled by the BBC and the government.

No other channel or provider has any say in it or receives any of the money from it. So regardless of what people think the license is for there is no reason to be annoyed with itv or any other channel as they do not mislead about the license. "

Ok

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Be careful with a potential gotcha. Some streaming services such as amazon prime now offer pay for view programs. Usually a sports event. These are live programs not catch up and you need a licence to stay legal. "

Indeed it is now starting to muddy the waters.

over a year ago

ditch the TV get your life back

over a year ago

Seriously it's time to be scraped... ditch the TV get your life back "

What would you suggest ? Before you met sally ?

over a year ago

Seriously it's time to be scraped... ditch the TV get your life back

What would you suggest ? Before you met sally ?"

i ditched mine 4 years ago i lead by example

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I don't have a Licence, as I work full time elsewhere in the UK, and am away from home for almost all year.

Even though my home is insured and for which I pay Council Tax, Water rates & other utilities, I don't have a working TV.

The Licensing people have checked my home and know I've no possible TV connections; as it is, the rooftop aerial is broken. I just update them every two years by phone as to the same circumstances.

Where I work, my employers supply Live-In accommodation that goes with the job; that includes a telly too, but my employers pay for that as part of the entire costs involved for the licensing for 40 TV's for the hotel business.

over a year ago

"I don't have a Licence, as I work full time elsewhere in the UK, and am away from home for almost all year.

Even though my home is insured and for which I pay Council Tax, Water rates & other utilities, I don't have a working TV.

The Licensing people have checked my home and know I've no possible TV connections; as it is, the rooftop aerial is broken. I just update them every two years by phone as to the same circumstances.

Where I work, my employers supply Live-In accommodation that goes with the job; that includes a telly too, but my employers pay for that as part of the entire costs involved for the licensing for 40 TV's for the hotel business."

Your point is? You obviously don’t need one as you explained.

Post new Message to Thread