Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Awkward Christmas conversations

Jump to newest

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

Anyone else have to sit through awkward Christmas dinner conversations? Say through an hour of when you going bring a girl home to meet the family/we won’t bite etc.. in my head I’m thinking if they only knew right now I’m more interested in guys they would go crazy. So smiled and nodded all they way through it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My family have given up me bringing anyone home, I think.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"My family have given up me bringing anyone home, I think."

Think mine is getting to that point..

over a year ago

Could you not just tell them?

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Could you not just tell them?

"

Have thought about it, just always can’t seem to find the right moment to say it.

By *lap.n.tickleCouple
over a year ago

sunny Manchester :)

Be honest to yourself mate. If they don't want the best for you and your happiness they really aren't the family you need. My own family other than a select few aren't worth a toss and so I'm a big believer in true family are the ppl we choose for ourselves

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Be honest to yourself mate. If they don't want the best for you and your happiness they really aren't the family you need. My own family other than a select few aren't worth a toss and so I'm a big believer in true family are the ppl we choose for ourselves "

Thank you. Need to start believing in that and be more honest to myself. Bring on 2020

By *lap.n.tickleCouple
over a year ago

Have thought about it, just always can’t seem to find the right moment to say it. "

At 37 I'd guess they've a pretty good idea.

By *lap.n.tickleCouple
over a year ago

"Be honest to yourself mate. If they don't want the best for you and your happiness they really aren't the family you need. My own family other than a select few aren't worth a toss and so I'm a big believer in true family are the ppl we choose for ourselves

Thank you. Need to start believing in that and be more honest to myself. Bring on 2020"

Best of luck

over a year ago

Have thought about it, just always can’t seem to find the right moment to say it. "

Well maybe nlt over Christmas dinner but for your own sake just get it over and done with so you can be yourself.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Be honest to yourself mate. If they don't want the best for you and your happiness they really aren't the family you need. My own family other than a select few aren't worth a toss and so I'm a big believer in true family are the ppl we choose for ourselves

Thank you. Need to start believing in that and be more honest to myself. Bring on 2020

Best of luck "

Thank you

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

Have thought about it, just always can’t seem to find the right moment to say it.

Well maybe nlt over Christmas dinner but for your own sake just get it over and done with so you can be yourself. "

Yeah wasn’t going to say anything then, even if I was thinking about it.

over a year ago

Thank you. Need to start believing in that and be more honest to myself. Bring on 2020"

I would never dream of asking one of my kids when they were going to produce a partner, terrible pressure to put on people.

over a year ago

Live your life for yourself and not to please others OP.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

My family are the worst at that!

I would never dream of asking one of my kids when they were going to produce a partner, terrible pressure to put on people. "

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Live your life for yourself and not to please others OP. "

Trying too :/

over a year ago

"Live your life for yourself and not to please others OP.

Trying too :/ "

Not easy, but definitely worth it. If people love you, they will want you to be happy.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

You need to tell your family. If they love you then it won't change anything except you will be able to live life as the real you. Living life with such a hyge secret is exhausting and isn't fair on you.

Please be true to yourself.

over a year ago

"

Second that.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Live your life for yourself and not to please others OP.

Trying too :/

Not easy, but definitely worth it. If people love you, they will want you to be happy. "

Yeah you’re right just need to get it out in the open

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

Second that. "

I hope to soon ..

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"You need to tell your family. If they love you then it won't change anything except you will be able to live life as the real you. Living life with such a hyge secret is exhausting and isn't fair on you.

Please be true to yourself."

It’s exhausting... mind just needs a break sometimes

over a year ago

"You need to tell your family. If they love you then it won't change anything except you will be able to live life as the real you. Living life with such a hyge secret is exhausting and isn't fair on you.

It’s exhausting... mind just needs a break sometimes "

OP, Unless someone giving you the advice here has experienced coming out to their family, then they have no idea what you're going through. Always looking for that moment that you think will be the best time to do it. It's similar to telling your husband or wife that your marriage is over and you're leaving the marriage. There's no good time but there are times when its best not to bring it up, like over Xmas dinner.

You will find the time and you may be surprised by the love people have for you. If someone has difficulty with this news well this it's their issue, it's not you, it's them and they may need some time to adjust but true love will win through for you.

To have a partner at this time would possibly help for support or certainly if you have friends that you can trust to have your back. It is good to have a place to go to talk to someone who understands you.

Best wishes to you OP

Lee

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

It’s exhausting... mind just needs a break sometimes "

It absoloutely is, I am talking from experience.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

It absoloutely is, I am talking from experience."

Keep telling myself one day it will be easier

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

OP, Unless someone giving you the advice here has experienced coming out to their family, then they have no idea what you're going through. Always looking for that moment that you think will be the best time to do it. It's similar to telling your husband or wife that your marriage is over and you're leaving the marriage. There's no good time but there are times when its best not to bring it up, like over Xmas dinner.

You will find the time and you may be surprised by the love people have for you. If someone has difficulty with this news well this it's their issue, it's not you, it's them and they may need some time to adjust but true love will win through for you.

To have a partner at this time would possibly help for support or certainly if you have friends that you can trust to have your back. It is good to have a place to go to talk to someone who understands you.

Best wishes to you OP

Lee

"

Thank you so much. Really appreciate it

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Keep telling myself one day it will be easier "

It won't ever be easy, but you may get to the stage where you need to be open about it for your own sanity.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

Keep telling myself one day it will be easier

It won't ever be easy, but you may get to the stage where you need to be open about it for your own sanity."

Think you’re right. Some days are easier then others but I look to the day when I don’t have to worry about being myself

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I didn't spend Christmas with family. #winning

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"I didn't spend Christmas with family. #winning"

Some moments I did wish I hadn’t

By *apiomanMan
over a year ago

Shipley

Family: what’s that bruise?

Me: blood test

Family: what for?

Me: ummm,

Yes I know we should be open about our sexual health but there are times and places!

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Family: what’s that bruise?

Me: blood test

Family: what for?

Me: ummm,

Yes I know we should be open about our sexual health but there are times and places!"

patiently waiting for that time and place...

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

First time talking about this on here thank you all for your kind words.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Previous years.

My parents: (pressure about grandchildren)

Me (in my head): I suppose it's possible, but given that we all pretend that I'm a virgin so you don't slut shame me, ... do I need to explain how conception works? Because it does usually require, well, fucking. And you don't seem to believe I ever have.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Previous years.

My parents: (pressure about grandchildren)

Me (in my head): I suppose it's possible, but given that we all pretend that I'm a virgin so you don't slut shame me, ... do I need to explain how conception works? Because it does usually require, well, fucking. And you don't seem to believe I ever have. "

i can totally relate to that

over a year ago

Bum hair was the discussion at the dinner table yesterday

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Bum hair was the discussion at the dinner table yesterday "

Oh my, that’s def sounds like it could have been pretty amusing/awkward at the same time

over a year ago

"

I was thinking the OP was going to be about 19 when I read his post

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

OP I hope you find a way to tell them before next Christmas. Best of luck.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

I was thinking the OP was going to be about 19 when I read his post "

my bad, though life was easier then

over a year ago

I was thinking the OP was going to be about 19 when I read his post

my bad, though life was easier then "

I wasn’t being funny , sorry op, just initial reaction thought you’d be younger. Hope your ok

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

OP I have no experience of this so I can't advise what or how. But I will say that it sounds like a hard burden to bear alone. I have two very good friends who came out and both said they felt like a huge weight had been lifted from them. Everyone who was important was accepting.

One has since gone vegan when he told his parents his dad said "look, gay I have no problem with, but this is a step too far"

It always makes me chuckle, we never know how people will react.

Good luck OP I hope you feel able to discuss it with them xxx

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Family can be the best and the worst.

Be true to yourself, OP.

It is truly, truly awful to run the risk that your family aren't prepared to accept you for who you really are.

But sometimes, and yes I've been there... Sometimes that heartbreak is liberating. Rather than walking on eggshells and trying to turn yourself into something you're not... It's wonderful to not give a solitary fuck what they think.

My parents don't accept me for who I am. That sucks. But I've stopped giving a shit. And fuck. I'm free.

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"OP I have no experience of this so I can't advise what or how. But I will say that it sounds like a hard burden to bear alone. I have two very good friends who came out and both said they felt like a huge weight had been lifted from them. Everyone who was important was accepting.

One has since gone vegan when he told his parents his dad said "look, gay I have no problem with, but this is a step too far"

Good luck OP I hope you feel able to discuss it with them xxx"

Thank you i hope I’m able to get there, just need the right time and place to be able to open up myself

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Family can be the best and the worst.

Be true to yourself, OP.

It is truly, truly awful to run the risk that your family aren't prepared to accept you for who you really are.

But sometimes, and yes I've been there... Sometimes that heartbreak is liberating. Rather than walking on eggshells and trying to turn yourself into something you're not... It's wonderful to not give a solitary fuck what they think.

My parents don't accept me for who I am. That sucks. But I've stopped giving a shit. And fuck. I'm free. "

Def walking on eggshells with my family and have no clue on how they would really react. I’m hoping positive but not 100% sure.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Be true to yourself, OP.

My parents don't accept me for who I am. That sucks. But I've stopped giving a shit. And fuck. I'm free.

Def walking on eggshells with my family and have no clue on how they would really react. I’m hoping positive but not 100% sure.

"

Big hugs if you want them. I get it.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

"OP I have no experience of this so I can't advise what or how. But I will say that it sounds like a hard burden to bear alone. I have two very good friends who came out and both said they felt like a huge weight had been lifted from them. Everyone who was important was accepting.

Thank you i hope I’m able to get there, just need the right time and place to be able to open up myself "

It might be worth picking the one you feel most comfortable with and telling them alone. Less pressure that way. Telling a big group is daunting. xx

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

Be true to yourself, OP.

Big hugs if you want them. I get it. "

Hugs are always welcome. Thank you so much

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

Thank you i hope I’m able to get there, just need the right time and place to be able to open up myself

It might be worth picking the one you feel most comfortable with and telling them alone. Less pressure that way. Telling a big group is daunting. xx"

I do have a cousin I’m kinda close too. Though we have chatted a lot in a while.

By *tableMasterMan
over a year ago

UK

Only you will know the right time. If at all you ever do.

It has to be because you are comfortable in your own skin and are able to deal with whatever reactions you get.

Despite this being almost 2020. Not everyone is tolerant.

Coming out isn’t always easy. After thinking it through, you may decide not to come out. You are valid and deserve support no matter who you do or do not share your identities with. Rem_mber, there isn’t one right way to come out, and it’s YOUR choice.

Some of us were lucky in the reactions of family and friends. Some less so.

There are organisations like the Trevor project that can offer advice.

Lots of love and luck

By *ayden_82 OP   Man
over a year ago

corby

"Only you will know the right time. If at all you ever do.

It has to be because you are comfortable in your own skin and are able to deal with whatever reactions you get.

Despite this being almost 2020. Not everyone is tolerant.

Coming out isn’t always easy. After thinking it through, you may decide not to come out. You are valid and deserve support no matter who you do or do not share your identities with. Rem_mber, there isn’t one right way to come out, and it’s YOUR choice.

Some of us were lucky in the reactions of family and friends. Some less so.

There are organisations like the Trevor project that can offer advice.

Lots of love and luck

"

Thank you I really really appreciate it

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Do things your own way, perhaps just 1 or 2 of them at a time, or let them meet some gay or bi friends, as part of laying some foundations.

Post new Message to Thread