FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bands and musicians who deserve to be better known...

Jump to newest

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

I love music of all kinds, but constantly find that the stuff i really enjoy is almost unknown to many. So here's just a few of the musicians and bands that i feel deserve to be better known:

Peter Hammill and Van der Graaf Generator.

King Crimson, and their band leader Robert Fripp (the guy that made the amazing guitar sound on Bowie's Heroes).

Philip Glass, minimalist composer with a huge influence on modern music of all kinds.

Vini Reilly and the Durruti Column, now sadly quiet after a series of mini strokes a few years ago. Mainly ignored in his native Manchester, but could get an audience of thousands in Italy or Japan.

Jah Wobble, slightly known as the bass player of Public Image, but has done so much more since then.

Ed Alleyne-Johnson, sometimes found busking on the streets of Chester or York, one man with a home made electric violin and a few effects units who manages to sound like an entire orchestra.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Nobody? I guess I really am the only one listening to this music...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The 2 that come to mind at the minute would be Leon Bridges and Meute.

Leon Bridges I found when looking for modern day Motown/Soul and what I've listened to of his is fantastic.

Meute are an eleven strong self described techno marching band from Germany. They are most known for their guerilla performances and they are the band I would most like to see in 2020. I bought a ticket for 1 of their gigs last year in England but couldn't make it. Definitely will next year though

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

A london band called third world war only around for a few years in the early 1970s..put out two albums...check out the song I'd rather cut cane for Castro.. On YouTube.

over a year ago

Cardiacs. There are no other answers.

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

The magpie salute.

over a year ago

XTC

over a year ago

Ryan Sheridan

over a year ago

Check out the version of walking in the air

over a year ago

If you like good guitar music then Link Wray is very good definitely one of the greats and quite unheard of in the mainstream, the only guy to have a instrumental track banned from the US charts due to claims it may cause violence, bit like they say about rap music today, only the Rumble track has no lyrics.

over a year ago

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (have the BEST NAME) are easily my favourite right now in the UK, in the US its Dub Trio.

Not.necessarily underrated in their own small scenes but MWWB are well worth a listen if psychedelic pixie doom floats your boat...

over a year ago

Bands that are around at the moment I'd say Skinny Lister and Ferocious Dog. 2 of the best live bands around

By *he_virgin_maryWoman
over a year ago

Here, there and everywhere!

"Bands that are around at the moment I'd say Skinny Lister and Ferocious Dog. 2 of the best live bands around "

hobo jones and the junkyard dogs are great, as is ferocious dog.

Gogol bordello and balkan beat box are both funky in their own ways.

But my current faves are the bar stewards sons of val doonican!

over a year ago

Thanks for the tips,just getting Alexa to find them out for me

By *ickDastardlyMan
over a year ago

North East

nothing but thieves

over a year ago

The Divine Comedy. Neil Hannon is one of the best songwriters of my generation, it makes me sad that he's best known for My Lovely Horse.

over a year ago

Daughtry

By *elloIntrigueMan
over a year ago

North West UK

"The Divine Comedy. Neil Hannon is one of the best songwriters of my generation, it makes me sad that he's best known for My Lovely Horse. "

Have to agree, not heard much of a mention of them for a few years although they have brought albums out - "National Express", "Something for the Weekend" and "The Pop Singers Fear of the Pollen Count" were their biggies.

over a year ago

"The Divine Comedy. Neil Hannon is one of the best songwriters of my generation, it makes me sad that he's best known for My Lovely Horse.

Have to agree, not heard much of a mention of them for a few years although they have brought albums out - "National Express", "Something for the Weekend" and "The Pop Singers Fear of the Pollen Count" were their biggies."

There was a new album this year. Pretty much all their albums are worth owning.

By *iggyStarjumpsMan
over a year ago

Stockport

I go to gigs around Manchester fairly often, mostly small venues and new/upcoming bands. A few recent discoveries for me are Liines, Alvvays, Voodoo Bandits and Fightmilk (they were supported by Milk Crimes who are also good - genius booking).

I'm always looking for gig buddies if anyone's interested.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Ionnalee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF6jkVc7js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3URTaewTw

God is an Astronaut - They have had fan made videos hit over a million, but I believe they are pretty much unkown and the videos getting so much isnt people searching for them, just fantastic vids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEphsKl1g9M

By *hilliandspiceMan
over a year ago

Wimborne

The Cadaver Club.

Some really awesome tunes, I particularly love The Curse of Sally, sadly no good versions on youtube only an awful live one, well the last time i looked anyway.

Great band live, just a shame they dont come over from Ireland too often.

By *orksRockerMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Rival Sons

https://youtu.be/t5ly-5_gKCQ

Monster Truck

https://youtu.be/wHrRPLHRgDA

Temperance Movement

https://youtu.be/Cv2qj9Vm7uo

over a year ago

Actors and The Birthday Massacre

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/12/19 15:46:25]

over a year ago

"Bands that are around at the moment I'd say Skinny Lister and Ferocious Dog. 2 of the best live bands around

hobo jones and the junkyard dogs are great, as is ferocious dog.

Gogol bordello and balkan beat box are both funky in their own ways.

But my current faves are the bar stewards sons of val doonican! "

Saw Hobo Jones a couple of weeks ago for the first time and they were great fun!

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I still like quite a few of the 80s bands who are still creating good music.

Swing out Sister, albums are a bit jazzy and mellow sound.

Propaganda, are still touring and fantastic to watch live.

Aha, some good albums with a more mature sound.

However I loved an 80s band called 'The Adventures' Broken Land was their best known hit, a great album that I always listen to of theirs is 'Sea of Love' think Simple Minds meet a War & Boy period of U2

over a year ago

Some underground bands worth checking out

The Idol Dead

The Midnight Dogs

Eureka Machines

Hands Off Gretel

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Wow... loads - where do I start?

Shpongle

Gong

Amon Duul II

Marley Chingus

Eno

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

One of my all-time favourite bands was The Blessing. One of my favourite guitarists is the South African Dan Patlansky. Not many people have head of either of them.

over a year ago

Went to see skid row 2 weeks ago at Nottingham rock city, a uk band called hollowstar were supporting them,added them straight into my Spotify while I was there,

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

"I go to gigs around Manchester fairly often, mostly small venues and new/upcoming bands. A few recent discoveries for me are Liines, Alvvays, Voodoo Bandits and Fightmilk (they were supported by Milk Crimes who are also good - genius booking).

I'm always looking for gig buddies if anyone's interested."

Omg a fellow Liines fan! Sadly one of them is leaving to pursue other projects so I’m not sure if they’re continuing.

By *aughtyLondonGuyMan
over a year ago

london

The standard of unknown bands far outweighs that current crop of famous talent...in my humble opinion.

over a year ago

Oddly I think a lot of the bands mentioned here ARE massive.

There's loads to mention OP but every time I see you about the place I think of The Chromatics. Who should be bigger...

over a year ago

"I love music of all kinds, but constantly find that the stuff i really enjoy is almost unknown to many. So here's just a few of the musicians and bands that i feel deserve to be better known:

Peter Hammill and Van der Graaf Generator.

King Crimson, and their band leader Robert Fripp (the guy that made the amazing guitar sound on Bowie's Heroes).

Philip Glass, minimalist composer with a huge influence on modern music of all kinds.

Vini Reilly and the Durruti Column, now sadly quiet after a series of mini strokes a few years ago. Mainly ignored in his native Manchester, but could get an audience of thousands in Italy or Japan.

Jah Wobble, slightly known as the bass player of Public Image, but has done so much more since then.

Ed Alleyne-Johnson, sometimes found busking on the streets of Chester or York, one man with a home made electric violin and a few effects units who manages to sound like an entire orchestra."

The only one there I have never heard of is Ed Alleyne-Johnson, the rest I have heard of and heard their music. Never was a fan of VdGG, like some King Crimson and hear some occasionally. Like some Glass at times. Durutti, jah wobble never liked.

I could list dozens of bands from past and present who I think should be better known and be/been more successful but then again, i wouldn't be one of the elite few to know them

By *illy999TV/TS
over a year ago

Taunton

The Fabulous Thunderbirds who opened for Led Zep when they toured trumpland.

over a year ago

Not exactly unknowns but Ozric Tentacles. Saw them live numerous times and they were always wonderful.

over a year ago

"The magpie salute. "

Spot on. Love them. I'm worried what will happen to them now the Robinsons have agreed a truce...

By *agermeisterMan
over a year ago

Leeds

The Icicle Works.

They should have been huge.

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

"The standard of unknown bands far outweighs that current crop of famous talent...in my humble opinion. "

Exactly this

Away from my "day job", most of my time is spent promoting unknown, under the radar musicians covering a wide range of genres, something which I have done for well over 10 years. The amount of music I have at my disposal is fairly significant and with the odd exception the quality is phenomenal. Far too many to even think about listing here.

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

"The magpie salute.

Spot on. Love them. I'm worried what will happen to them now the Robinsons have agreed a truce..."

They’re disbanded already but not ruling out regrouping in the future.

over a year ago

LANKUM. modern traditional folk music. Amazing band!

over a year ago

Aaron kitcher from infant annihilator.

He does use triggers but this guy is an animal behind the drums, his double bass and gravity blasts should not be possible

https://youtu.be/SImHi16cwqc

Check out around 2:30

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Afghan Whigs, saw them on Jools and ended up seeing them in concert a few months later. The video has some great dancing as well, not what you expect from a rock band

https://youtu.be/8C5et72znyw

over a year ago

Chris Whiteley

Sonny Landreth

Bernie Torme

By *hitebloodcellMan
over a year ago

London

The Cramps. With the death of Lux Interior they are no more, but they were one of the most influential bands for 4 decades.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

There was a band called "Young Rebel Set" from the north east a few years ago who wrote some really good songs, not sure if they're still together but give them a listen on YouTube

By *hilhendersonMan
over a year ago

aberdeen

"Wow... loads - where do I start?

Shpongle

Gong

Amon Duul II

Marley Chingus

Eno

..."

no way....i thought i was the only shpongle fan..gong are the jazz version of early floyd and by far my favourite band from the 70's

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS
over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

The Chameleons were sadly overlooked. Outstanding songs and a masterclass in songwriting.

Also, The Monochrome Set

over a year ago

Scalping

over a year ago

Green on Red.

over a year ago

The Claypool Lennon Delirium. Recently discovered, mind blown in a psychedelic haze.

Post new Message to Thread