Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

technical help

Jump to newest

By *good-being-bad OP   Man
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

Bit of background.

Someone has and is taking money from my mums house when shes in hospital, doors are locked so its someone with a key ruling out carers etc,

I decided to install a mini covert camera (wifi enabled) so I could monitor the house while I'm at work.

I have found the camera on the wifi and connected to it via my phone(it says saved on my wifi menu)

When I open the app that I downloaded from the playstore (I'm using android 6) it shows the camera but says offline. No matter what I try it doesn't come online

If anyone has tried and can offer any suggestions or knows what I'm doing wrong post below, I want to catch the thieving twunt.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Bit of background.

Someone has and is taking money from my mums house when shes in hospital, doors are locked so its someone with a key ruling out carers etc,

I decided to install a mini covert camera (wifi enabled) so I could monitor the house while I'm at work.

I have found the camera on the wifi and connected to it via my phone(it says saved on my wifi menu)

When I open the app that I downloaded from the playstore (I'm using android 6) it shows the camera but says offline. No matter what I try it doesn't come online

If anyone has tried and can offer any suggestions or knows what I'm doing wrong post below, I want to catch the thieving twunt. "

Change the locks first and give the spare keys to the carers. It's a cheap first step and you eliminated anyone that could have the key that you don't know about.

Does the camera have a designated app on playstore or you're just using some random app?

Try to google the camera model and see if someone made a post about the best app to use with it.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

OK, can you access it if you are on the same WIFI network, or are you trying to view it remotely from another location?

If you cannot access it when you're on the same wifi network, its likely the wireless connection from the camera to the router. That is the first place to start.

over a year ago

"Bit of background.

If anyone has tried and can offer any suggestions or knows what I'm doing wrong post below, I want to catch the thieving twunt.

Change the locks first and give the spare keys to the carers. It's a cheap first step and you eliminated anyone that could have the key that you don't know about.

Does the camera have a designated app on playstore or you're just using some random app?

Try to google the camera model and see if someone made a post about the best app to use with it.

"

I'd change the locks, however its often a different carer that calls, the folk who have keys are neighbours in case my mum needs help when I'm not there, so I'd need to give them new keys when mum was at home.

Ttried google and youtube ..App is the software thats suggested with the camera.

over a year ago

"OK, can you access it if you are on the same WIFI network, or are you trying to view it remotely from another location?

If you cannot access it when you're on the same wifi network, its likely the wireless connection from the camera to the router. That is the first place to start."

i

Is thereva way for me to check I don't have anothervcamera ?

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"OK, can you access it if you are on the same WIFI network, or are you trying to view it remotely from another location?

If you cannot access it when you're on the same wifi network, its likely the wireless connection from the camera to the router. That is the first place to start.i

Is thereva way for me to check I don't have anothervcamera ?"

Go to your mums, can you access the camera when your phone is on same wifi as the camera?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Put something smelly on the money 2 good.x

over a year ago

If you cannot access it when you're on the same wifi network, its likely the wireless connection from the camera to the router. That is the first place to start.i

Go to your mums, can you access the camera when your phone is on same wifi as the camera?"

Nope tried friday, reinstalled the app, and setup on saturday same outcome camera says offpine ?

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Go to your mums, can you access the camera when your phone is on same wifi as the camera?

Nope tried friday, reinstalled the app, and setup on saturday same outcome camera says offpine ?"

alright you'll still need someone at your mums location to establish the problem. Is the camera far from the router or well hidden away. it might be wifi connectivity problems to the router

The other thing to check is the actual camera itself, often flashing LEDs are the camera saying, 'houston we have a problem' There will likely be an option to reset the camera, do that

So make sure the camera is on with no error codes, then see if it is connected to your connected to the wifi. Take it closer to the router, when your setting it up.

By *etite HandfulWoman
over a year ago

Chester

Might be better to just cat a camera with movement detection and that records to an sd card. Get one with a time and date stamp so it can be used in court if needed.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

it will appear offline as your using the camera.

your better sending the signal to a receiver box then out of the system.

this records it and gives you proof of theft better to ave proof than nothing at all.

By *alldarksurreyMan
over a year ago

surrey

You need to set you router so it allows remote access to the camera, it wont work unless it's a ip camera.your mobile phone needs to be able to connect to your wifi router via it's own internet server through the web browser or app that you downloaded. Google: how to view ip camera remotely via a web browser

By *izzy.Woman
over a year ago

Stoke area

I have no knowledge of cameras and technology and stuff. I just wanted to say what an awful situation , sorry to hear about your mum being in hospital. I would suggest you go to her house and remove any money, bank books, valuables and put them in your own house. Remove temptation.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If the local connection seems good, then I'd try the camera on a different network, with the same app. This should help you to prove that the camera is good to work on a network atm with that app, helping you to determine the cause, by a process of elimination. I'd also look through as many help request posts for that camera as you can, to see if any posts have a similar common cause, even if symptoms are a little different.

Camera? Is it functioning on any wifi ok?

Network?

App, or is there an alternative you could use, even if this is the recommended one?

I think some mobiles will function as cameras, so perhaps give one a try, for comparison, to check streaming via the network and app is good.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

"Bit of background.

If anyone has tried and can offer any suggestions or knows what I'm doing wrong post below, I want to catch the thieving twunt. "

If you are on the same IP range (local LAN as the router then you can connect via its Wi-Fi.

If there is a QR code available that (dependant upon the device) should auto port forward the ports on the router to allow you to gain access whilst away from site (Means opens the way in to allow you remote access.

As standard these will be blocked.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"Bit of background.

If you are on the same IP range (local LAN as the router then you can connect via its Wi-Fi.

If there is a QR code available that (dependant upon the device) should auto port forward the ports on the router to allow you to gain access whilst away from site (Means opens the way in to allow you remote access.

As standard these will be blocked."

If I'm understanding the OPs last post correctly, he can't connect when on the same lan. So maybe its the app settings, the wifi signal or the camera had a fit. it may be getting to techy for the op but if hes on the same lan as the camera, he should just be able to connect using the IP address of the camera. Most of the cheaper camera use port 80 by default. If he can connect locally, the next step will be connecting remotely.

Or if its all too much,as previously a camera with an SD card and motion detection should help

Post new Message to Thread