Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Antiques

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Objets d'art or generally just a load of old rubbish they charge the earth for??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Isn't that the same as all art?

over a year ago

If I like it and can afford it, I buy it, irrelevant of whether it is an antique or not.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Old rubbish?! It’s history! And more often than not far more beautiful and well built than the guff you get these days.

I love a bit of antique. Can never afford to buy it mind but still, i appreciate it

over a year ago

"Old rubbish?! It’s history! And more often than not far more beautiful and well built than the guff you get these days.

I love a bit of antique. Can never afford to buy it mind but still, i appreciate it "

Pity it doesn't apply to human men namely me

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Old rubbish?! It’s history! And more often than not far more beautiful and well built than the guff you get these days.

I love a bit of antique. Can never afford to buy it mind but still, i appreciate it "

Totally agree love things that have history,

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

Depends, but if it’s something with a function, you can usually be assured that it’s better made, will last longer and will ultimately save you a fortune..

Your Billy bookcase from ikea and your special offer DFS sofas will fall apart in five years and end up in a skip.

My top tip for things you can use, enjoy and will be an investment are mid-century antiques.

I’ve swapped to Globe-Wernicke style for display/storage and will be looking for some Bauhaus for sitting on.

It’s a bit of an effort to get the right stuff, but you can’t lose, and it costs less than the same stuff from Argos

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

Oh.. and from an ecological perspective it makes more sense than buying new, low quality disposable stuff.

over a year ago

Like anything people spend their money on, it’s a choice to collect and rare objects have a value. People are willing to pay it as there’s a market value set. This question could apply to things like vintage action figures, clothing, tattoos anything really . It’s all about perspective and whatever has value to someone. I believe antique objects have more character and beauty. I’d happily pay for something special and when it comes to furniture as others have said, it’s far better quality than mdf shite and looks so much nicer.

There’s a market for everything and collecting old and rare pieces will always be special. Many people also love the story and history that are sold and passed on with the objects.

We have tons of old stuff. Oldest is a bunch prints from 1700s depicting Christian tortures. We love them.

over a year ago

"Oh.. and from an ecological perspective it makes more sense than buying new, low quality disposable stuff. "

And this too ( and I love mid century modern but the market went crazy a few years ago and I think will slowly fall down more and can’t wait) - Mrs

Post new Message to Thread