Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Quantum mechanics

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A bit deep I know, but gotta wonder where some of the hair brained ideas or theories come from for the explanation of phenomena.

Apparently gravity travels at the speed of light and time stops at the speed of light and inside black holes.

So by that theory all we need to do is mix a bit of gravity with time and a black hole and we get a swirly unknown thingamy jig.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I spend too much time thinking about things like this.

over a year ago

"I spend too much time thinking about things like this. "

The comment I made at the bottom was a jape at the statements before it, but apparently those statements are scientific belief

By *MP3Man
over a year ago

Between Scylla and Charybdis

"I spend too much time thinking about things like this.

The comment I made at the bottom was a jape at the statements before it, but apparently those statements are scientific belief"

I suggest researching Erwin Schrödinger. He's a jape free zone

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I love M-Theory on a similar note.

Heather Small certainly knew her stuff in the field.

....yes.

By *ikerswingCouple
over a year ago

mcr

The comment I made at the bottom was a jape at the statements before it, but apparently those statements are scientific belief

I suggest researching Erwin Schrödinger. He's a jape free zone "

i dont know about that he did strange things with cats

over a year ago

The comment I made at the bottom was a jape at the statements before it, but apparently those statements are scientific belief"

I know. Just in general I mean. I do spend way too much time analysing things and thinking what? How? Impossible! Etc etc.

By *rimtonMan
over a year ago

Bromley

What does have gravity have to do with the speed of light ?

over a year ago

Gravity is the effect mass has on space. It curves it.

As you accelerate under gravity time slows the faster you accelerate. Slows to a stationary observer. For the item under acceleration, time appears normal.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

If nothing can touch anything why haven't i fallen through the planet yet?

By *ilkenWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

You will have sent half the forum scurrying to google OP and half will be confused if they read Werner Heisenbergs views on subatomic particles and come to the view that Heisenberg was a meth mogul and its all about getting high.

over a year ago

"You will have sent half the forum scurrying to google OP and half will be confused if they read Werner Heisenbergs views on subatomic particles and come to the view that Heisenberg was a meth mogul and its all about getting high. "

over a year ago

1100dB will create a black hole!

We’re going to need some bigger some bigger amps!

By *MP3Man
over a year ago

Between Scylla and Charybdis

"You will have sent half the forum scurrying to google OP..."

I think you may be overestimating the audience...

By *ilkenWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

"You will have sent half the forum scurrying to google OP...

I think you may be overestimating the audience... "

No they can use google its been proven on multiple occasions.

By *rimtonMan
over a year ago

Bromley

"Gravity is the effect mass has on space. It curves it.

As you accelerate under gravity time slows the faster you accelerate. Slows to a stationary observer. For the item under acceleration, time appears normal.

"

Thanks.

And that’s what keeps planets circulating within their ‘star system ‘ and not spinning off into the distance?

Another one - so if gravity is a function/effect of mass, on its surrounding space - does that mean we all have a gravity field /pull?

By *ackdd72Man
over a year ago

the valleys

As it says on the tin they are all theories when they come out with some quantum facts it will be interesting

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"

Not in quantum mechanics, gravity on the Planck size scale breaks down the relativity laws. There is field effect theory that combines it with elect_omagnetism or the graviton particle. Far as I know there is no complete theory for gravity at the atomic level.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Thanks.

And that’s what keeps planets circulating within their ‘star system ‘ and not spinning off into the distance?

Another one - so if gravity is a function/effect of mass, on its surrounding space - does that mean we all have a gravity field /pull? "

Technically, yes but gravitational pull is only really on large mass objects, the bigger mass, the bigger the pull. If you think along the lines of a mattress surface being time, if you put a tennis ball on it, it doesn't sink into the mattress much but a bowling ball would cause a deep indentation.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Fascinating stuff. I struggle with it though

over a year ago

"Fascinating stuff. I struggle with it though "

So do physicists.

over a year ago

"You will have sent half the forum scurrying to google OP and half will be confused if they read Werner Heisenbergs views on subatomic particles and come to the view that Heisenberg was a meth mogul and its all about getting high. "

Haha

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Thanks.

Another one - so if gravity is a function/effect of mass, on its surrounding space - does that mean we all have a gravity field /pull?

Technically, yes but gravitational pull is only really on large mass objects, the bigger mass, the bigger the pull. If you think along the lines of a mattress surface being time, if you put a tennis ball on it, it doesn't sink into the mattress much but a bowling ball would cause a deep indentation. "

Well gravity interacts with energy and momentum, massless objects are affected by gravity.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Not in quantum mechanics, gravity on the Planck size scale breaks down the relativity laws. There is field effect theory that combines it with elect_omagnetism or the graviton particle. Far as I know there is no complete theory for gravity at the atomic level."

Your right, gravity plays no place in quantum due to the mass being so impeccably small. I believe electomagnetism works on small scales but I believe there's a cross over between the 2 theories that once certain mass is obtained & works until the mass it too large to be affected & turns to gravity only.

We sit in the field of both small gravitation effect & elect_omagnetism effect. Hence that you'll fall & you can produce static energy

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Fascinating stuff. I struggle with it though

So do physicists."

I'm sure they do

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

"A bit deep I know, but gotta wonder where some of the hair brained ideas or theories come from for the explanation of phenomena.

Apparently gravity travels at the speed of light and time stops at the speed of light and inside black holes.

So by that theory all we need to do is mix a bit of gravity with time and a black hole and we get a swirly unknown thingamy jig.

"

I always wondered what measurement did they use before light?

Suppose it wouldnt have mattered because they were in the dark so wouldnt have been able to see the measurement anyway.

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Not in quantum mechanics, gravity on the Planck size scale breaks down the relativity laws. There is field effect theory that combines it with elect_omagnetism or the graviton particle. Far as I know there is no complete theory for gravity at the atomic level.

Your right, gravity plays no place in quantum due to the mass being so impeccably small. I believe electomagnetism works on small scales but I believe there's a cross over between the 2 theories that once certain mass is obtained & works until the mass it too large to be affected & turns to gravity only.

We sit in the field of both small gravitation effect & elect_omagnetism effect. Hence that you'll fall & you can produce static energy

"

Yup they still haven’t concluded whether that relationship is an actual relationship or just an inverse scale of magnitude.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

There are thought to be around 100 billion planets in our galaxy (the Milky Way - admit it, you are now humming "The red car and the blue car had a race....")

There are an estimated One Hundred Billion Galaxies

So that makes 100,000,000,000 x 100,000,000,000 planets in total (1E +22). This is is on the lower estimates

It is therefore hypothesised the existence of 21.6 sextillion planets in the observable universe (I said sex )

Now the universe is estimated to be 13.8 billion years old. If only 0.0001% of those planets could support an atmosphere which was conducive to life and assuming that the earth is truly 4.54 billion years old and that of that 0.0001% of life supporting planets they had a similar rate of development (through evolution) of intelligent life, and depending on the relative size of the planet and the rate of reproduction lets say each habitable planet has 7 Billion people on it, than it is fair to say that:

Yes one day if you are patient, write a good profile, don't be pushy, don't sell your self short, and avoid being arrogant, someone in the observable universe may reply to your "fancy a fuck" message

...."but all red wants to do is stuff his face, he eats everything he sees, from trucks to prickly trees......"

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"

Well gravity interacts with energy and momentum, massless objects are affected by gravity."

Not really, mass = weight.

Massless objects sit in the quantum realm where general relativity doesn't work (e=mc2) because the partials are too small.

When you combine a whole bunch of particles together you'll get a object of mass but on their own they're just too small. The photo slit experiment is good example for this.

On their own the can go anywhere, through one slit or the other randomly, but keep firing them & they'll create a wave pattern, keep going after that & it'll create a solid looking line, keep going & it'll bulk this line out & start creating mass, then gravity can take effect.

over a year ago

"

Assuming they’re not spaghettified in the process of the incomprehensible forces. Nice and simple explanation of the process though, rather quite like that! Well done.

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"

Well gravity interacts with energy and momentum, massless objects are affected by gravity.

Not really, mass = weight.

Massless objects sit in the quantum realm where general relativity doesn't work (e=mc2) because the partials are too small.

When you combine a whole bunch of particles together you'll get a object of mass but on their own they're just too small. The photo slit experiment is good example for this.

On their own the can go anywhere, through one slit or the other randomly, but keep firing them & they'll create a wave pattern, keep going after that & it'll create a solid looking line, keep going & it'll bulk this line out & start creating mass, then gravity can take effect. "

No a single photon is effected by gravitational acceleration. The slit experiment is showing interference or they uncertainty principle as the photons are taking every possible route without actually taking every possible route.

over a year ago

Assuming they’re not spaghettified in the process of the incomprehensible forces. Nice and simple explanation of the process though, rather quite like that! Well done."

You are welcome.

By *exysoul888TV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

Apparently there is only one electron in the universe. It just gets about a bit...

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Apparently there is only one electron in the universe. It just gets about a bit... "

One of Feynman's theories, crazily works -ish mathematically but not sold on that one.

over a year ago

Need more forum posts like this

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

My favourite black hole related theory is that of spaghettification

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"What does have gravity have to do with the speed of light ?

"

Light actually has momentum, this is how gravity can interact with it.

over a year ago

Think it takes a whole load of energy to create a black hole though. Dont we need to compress something as big as earth into the size of a tennis ball.

over a year ago

"Think it takes a whole load of energy to create a black hole though. Dont we need to compress something as big as earth into the size of a tennis ball. "

It compresses to infinity... or so the theory states

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"Apparently there is only one electron in the universe. It just gets about a bit...

One of Feynman's theories, crazily works -ish mathematically but not sold on that one."

I kind of get the theory of that, cos everything is connected & all stem from the big bang.

By *exysoul888TV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

Google have just claimed they have a quantum computer that did a task in 200 seconds which would have taken the fastest super computer 10000 years to accomplish.

IBM said the super computer would take 2 days... Bit of a discrepancy there...

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"Think it takes a whole load of energy to create a black hole though. Dont we need to compress something as big as earth into the size of a tennis ball.

It compresses to infinity... or so the theory states "

Compresses so small it transfers to a quantum realm.

By *exysoul888TV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Think it takes a whole load of energy to create a black hole though. Dont we need to compress something as big as earth into the size of a tennis ball.

It compresses to infinity... or so the theory states "

Doesn't have to be a singularity. Just small enough that the gravity is enough that the escape velocity is more than the speed of light. 186000 miles per second

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"Google have just claimed they have a quantum computer that did a task in 200 seconds which would have taken the fastest super computer 10000 years to accomplish.

IBM said the super computer would take 2 days... Bit of a discrepancy there... "

Is that not more based on entanglement theory? Where the 2 are connected & affect each other regardless of distance, time etc.

What happens to one has an equal & opposite effect on the other. Bit like double entry bookkeeping, Credits & debits but balance sheet always equals the same values.

By *ikerswingCouple
over a year ago

mcr

i feel like ive sat in sheldons spot on the big bang theory .interesting stuff though .

By *exysoul888TV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Google have just claimed they have a quantum computer that did a task in 200 seconds which would have taken the fastest super computer 10000 years to accomplish.

Is that not more based on entanglement theory? Where the 2 are connected & affect each other regardless of distance, time etc.

What happens to one has an equal & opposite effect on the other. Bit like double entry bookkeeping, Credits & debits but balance sheet always equals the same values. "

The quantum computer uses entanglement to work. (how the qubits are able to interact) IBM are claiming the the task Google did with it, could be done on a "normal" computer in 2 days, while Google said it would take 10000 years.

By *adetMan
over a year ago

Virtuosa

Who ever said intelligence wasn't sexy

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

The effect of gravity on light is more about Relativity. There hasn’t been much discussion about Quantum Mechanics on this thread yet.

There’s some truly weird things that go on in that space.

By *adetMan
over a year ago

Virtuosa

Must just point out tho that's scientists don't really 'believe' in theories, they just accept them as the best explanation

over a year ago

A leap into the unknown

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

What happens to one has an equal & opposite effect on the other. Bit like double entry bookkeeping, Credits & debits but balance sheet always equals the same values. "

No your right about entanglement. Quantum computing is basically another way of determining computational code. Normally a computer makes decisions in 0s and 1s, quantum computers can exist in both 0 and 1 at the same time. Making them insanely fast at calculating problems as they can exist in both states at the same time.

over a year ago

What happens to one has an equal & opposite effect on the other. Bit like double entry bookkeeping, Credits & debits but balance sheet always equals the same values.

No your right about entanglement. Quantum computing is basically another way of determining computational code. Normally a computer makes decisions in 0s and 1s, quantum computers can exist in both 0 and 1 at the same time. Making them insanely fast at calculating problems as they can exist in both states at the same time."

Stew are you stewie from family guy the genius baby

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

The quantum computer uses entanglement to work. (how the qubits are able to interact) IBM are claiming the the task Google did with it, could be done on a "normal" computer in 2 days, while Google said it would take 10000 years. "

Yea google were blustering abit, their machine used entanglement yup. There’s it of different methods to achieve quantum computing. Difficulty is translating it into traditional code.

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

No your right about entanglement. Quantum computing is basically another way of determining computational code. Normally a computer makes decisions in 0s and 1s, quantum computers can exist in both 0 and 1 at the same time. Making them insanely fast at calculating problems as they can exist in both states at the same time.

Stew are you stewie from family guy the genius baby"

Nah, my head is more of a soccer ball than American football.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I'll ask my son. He's doing neuro astrophysics at university.

over a year ago

Stew are you stewie from family guy the genius baby

Nah, my head is more of a soccer ball than American football."

Lol love it

over a year ago

Time is relative. It doesn’t stop. Read schrodinger's kittens.

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Thanks.

Another one - so if gravity is a function/effect of mass, on its surrounding space - does that mean we all have a gravity field /pull? "

Yes I should imagine so . . But to minute degrees. . . Small asteroids have been proven to create their own gravity. . Not sure if there is a cut off point when an object is too small to do this.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Yes there is a cut off point which is why general relativity theory doesn't work in the quantum realm.

Quarks is one bit of quantum but I'm really bad at remembering the names of things & people hence my accounts description & in accounts the credits and debits live in the same space much like the in computer description. They're all monetary value instead of 0's & 1's. And can be either a 0 or 1 depending on where they were put, can be positive or negative values too. (just my way of making it a bit easier to understand since I've studied accounts).

Time is relative but again becomes scewed in quantum because the prices are so small. Can look at it similarly to the life spans of different species although back to front. Mice age really fast & only live for about 3 year but a elephant can live for 60yrs or older. Bugs age even faster than mice.

Part of the problem with quantum is the lack of observation that we can see due to the pieces being sooo tiny & the lack of explanation to what "dark matter" actually is. But in the quantum realm time appears to stall to what appears to be a stop or infinite rather than finite. I suppose it's a bit like if you believe in an "after life" or a soul where you leave you present form (human body) & live on forever in a "heaven".

The quantum pieces live forever but can take different forms (reincarnation if you like) therefore never really die just manifested.

That's about as simple as my brain will link it ATM.

Post new Message to Thread