Back to The Lounge

39 People Found Dead ....

Jump to newest

By *rumpyMcFuckNugget OP   Man
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

In a Lorry in Essex .

Registered in Bulgaria .

Its heartbreaking, but is it a case of " they knew the risks " ,. The other question is , did the driver know they were in there or not . ??

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *hatMinxOverThereWoman
over a year ago

42 Wallaby Way

It's bloody horrible whether they knew the risks or not.

These people are literally risking their lives for the chance of something better. It breaks my heart.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not a case of "knew the risks"

Anyone who consider doing this must feel very desperate therefore didn't fell there was a choice.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can understand the driver not knowing about 1/2 but 39 !?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"It's bloody horrible whether they knew the risks or not.

These people are literally risking their lives for the chance of something better. It breaks my heart. "

Well its breaking news atm so too early to tell what happened sadly

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

What an awful loss of life.

I heard the driver is being held on suspicion of murder.

The driver is from Northern Ireland, apparently, and the lorry entered the UK at Holyhead.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Very sad indeed.

I'm sure they knew the risks, who wouldn't. I wouldn't risk it but I have a comfortable life with enough to eat, a place to live and people who care for me.

I hope the driver didn't know

Reply privately

By *ucky1Man
over a year ago

a straightjacket

"I can understand the driver not knowing about 1/2 but 39 !? "

Depends what trailer he was pulling as it might of been a refrigerated one, if so the engine could of drowned out any noises. Bloody awful news

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Sad as it may be, can't the French do more to stop this kind of thing happening?

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Sad as it may be, can't the French do more to stop this kind of thing happening? "

If the report is correct that the lorry entered the UK at Holyhead, then it arrived here from the Republic of Ireland rather than France.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Not a case of "knew the risks"

Anyone who consider doing this must feel very desperate therefore didn't fell there was a choice. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I can understand the driver not knowing about 1/2 but 39 !?

Depends what trailer he was pulling as it might of been a refrigerated one, if so the engine could of drowned out any noises. Bloody awful news "

Do they not to do stop checks ? Make sure the cargo is secured ? Sign for deliveries ? Lorry check and inspection to make sure it’s suitable and safe to drive ? Interested to see how the investigation pans out. Sad news indeed

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Desperation of a better life holds no bounds on what people will do, rest their souls.

My anger is at those that facilitate this and don’t ensure they have a safe way to travel and probably charged a fortune for doing so

Reply privately

over a year ago

Depends what trailer he was pulling as it might of been a refrigerated one, if so the engine could of drowned out any noises. Bloody awful news

Do they not to do stop checks ? Make sure the cargo is secured ? Sign for deliveries ? Lorry check and inspection to make sure it’s suitable and safe to drive ? Interested to see how the investigation pans out. Sad news indeed"

I think it doesn't matter how many checks you do, some will always slip through.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jesus Christ, how sad.

How desperate they must have been.

RIP

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In a Lorry in Essex .

Registered in Bulgaria .

Its heartbreaking, but is it a case of " they knew the risks " ,. The other question is , did the driver know they were in there or not . ??"

How do we live in a world where some people are so desperate to escape! This makes me feel distraught

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Desperation of a better life holds no bounds on what people will do, rest their souls.

My anger is at those that facilitate this and don’t ensure they have a safe way to travel and probably charged a fortune for doing so "

Yes, and the people and systems that caused the desperation in the first place.

Reply privately

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Ecomomic migrants probably

Loads of them sadly

Mainly men I bet

Reply privately

over a year ago

As sad as it is, they are actually breaking the law and paid with their lives,I'm sure the hamish law abiding citizens of fab would agree with that

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"As sad as it is, they are actually breaking the law and paid with their lives,I'm sure the hamish law abiding citizens of fab would agree with that"

Laws are not always just, laws do not always fit all circumstances, and paying with your life is disproportionate.

Reply privately

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

I wonder which government has to deal with them I’m assuming they will be an autopsy and will the body’s be sent back either way sad that people die as a result of wanting a better life

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

"As sad as it is, they are actually breaking the law and paid with their lives,I'm sure the hamish law abiding citizens of fab would agree with that"

They might be breaking the law by entering the country illegally, but no one deserves to die like that, especially when trying to find a better life for themselves

God forbid any of us ever have to make that kind of choice, the last thing on my mind would be breaking the law if I had to get my child to a safer place

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As sad as it is, they are actually breaking the law and paid with their lives,I'm sure the hamish law abiding citizens of fab would agree with that

Laws are not always just, laws do not always fit all circumstances, and paying with your life is disproportionate."

I totally agree.

These are desperate people and there is money to be made by unscrupulous criminals.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It is a an aweful aweful thing to happen to people perhaps with hopes of a better future or fleeing dangers.

Because every day the news is filled with stories of war, death, starvation, cruelty I feel numb to all of the suffering. I feel nothing, no pity, no empathy, no sorrow. I should be on the shrinks couch because I am not moved at all. Not sure if I have issues or that I am a cold blooded twat. Probably the latter..

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"As sad as it is, they are actually breaking the law and paid with their lives,I'm sure the hamish law abiding citizens of fab would agree with that

They might be breaking the law by entering the country illegally, but no one deserves to die like that, especially when trying to find a better life for themselves

God forbid any of us ever have to make that kind of choice, the last thing on my mind would be breaking the law if I had to get my child to a safer place "

Yes. I follow the law, in part, because I'm not forced to make such terrible decisions. It's a privilege.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do they not to do stop checks ? Make sure the cargo is secured ? Sign for deliveries ? Lorry check and inspection to make sure it’s suitable and safe to drive ? Interested to see how the investigation pans out. Sad news indeed

I think it doesn't matter how many checks you do, some will always slip through. "

39 slip through !?

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

God forbid any of us ever have to make that kind of choice, the last thing on my mind would be breaking the law if I had to get my child to a safer place

Yes. I follow the law, in part, because I'm not forced to make such terrible decisions. It's a privilege."

We are very privileged and a lot to be grateful for

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Sad as it may be, can't the French do more to stop this kind of thing happening?

If the report is correct that the lorry entered the UK at Holyhead, then it arrived here from the Republic of Ireland rather than France.

"

Ah ok, I've not had ma tv on so I'm clueless about this one.

It does make you wonder about how much danger they were in to risk their lives for a better life over here though....

RIP

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it doesn't matter how many checks you do, some will always slip through.

39 slip through !? "

One lorry out of thousands slips through. This one happened to contain people.

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

It does make you wonder about how much danger they were in to risk their lives for a better life over here though....

RIP "

If you are on an average UK income - £28,000 a year or so, I think - that puts you among the top 4 % richest people in the world.

That means there are an awful lot of poorer people out there. An awful lot.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

If you are on an average UK income - £28,000 a year or so, I think - that puts you among the top 4 % richest people in the world.

"

I can imagine people surviving on £28k a year but hardly a decent wage. Not enough to really live on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"

I can imagine people surviving on £28k a year but hardly a decent wage. Not enough to really live on. "

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

RIP

"

What the hell are you on about? These people are not going to get off a boat and be housed in a 200k house in suburbia ffs get a grip, they might have a roof over their head temporarily, some crumb of comfort and security from their foes, but what long term future have they got?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

RIP

What the hell are you on about? These people are not going to get off a boat and be housed in a 200k house in suburbia ffs get a grip, they might have a roof over their head temporarily, some crumb of comfort and security from their foes, but what long term future have they got?"

She's agreeing with you I think.

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

RIP

What the hell are you on about? These people are not going to get off a boat and be housed in a 200k house in suburbia ffs get a grip, they might have a roof over their head temporarily, some crumb of comfort and security from their foes, but what long term future have they got?

She's agreeing with you I think."

Yeah, it just struck a chord with me that there are so many people crying out for help and we as a nation seem to do so little for the people that need it most.....

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

200k won't buy you much here

Reply privately

over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"200k won't buy you much here "
Well give it to me then if it's of no use , or perhaps the families of the deceased

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

The point I was trying to make is there are an awful lot of people out there with very little, who will be drawn to such desperate measures as a way to improve their lot in life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

"

I can imagine people surviving on £28k a year but hardly a decent wage. Not enough to really live on. "

It is enough for me to pay private rent, pay all my bills and feed and clothe my kid.... you appreciate the treats when they come along rather than expect them

Reply privately

over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"

I can imagine people surviving on £28k a year but hardly a decent wage. Not enough to really live on.

It is enough for me to pay private rent, pay all my bills and feed and clothe my kid.... you appreciate the treats when they come along rather than expect them "

Christ 200k would sort me out almost forever.

I could buy my house ( at a reduced right to buy ) pay all my debts and still have 100K to play with

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I wonder how people feel about the indiscriminate nature of the migration. It seems to me that the strong migrate, mainly young men, leaving families behind presumably in some cases. The poor, the ill, the starving, left behind never seem to get a mention .

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"The point I was trying to make is there are an awful lot of people out there with very little, who will be drawn to such desperate measures as a way to improve their lot in life.

"

Is it just the UK that people are risking their lives to get to to have a better life though? If so, what makes us better than any other country?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I wonder how people feel about the indiscriminate nature of the migration. It seems to me that the strong migrate, mainly young men, leaving families behind presumably in some cases. The poor, the ill, the starving, left behind never seem to get a mention . "

The young men are those who are most likely to survive the horrific journey that lies in wait, as our borders and hearts have hardened.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The point I was trying to make is there are an awful lot of people out there with very little, who will be drawn to such desperate measures as a way to improve their lot in life.

Is it just the UK that people are risking their lives to get to to have a better life though? If so, what makes us better than any other country? "

If you really want to get angry, look at the situation in Australia.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Is it just the UK that people are risking their lives to get to to have a better life though? If so, what makes us better than any other country? "

Well they often move through safe countries to get here..

France is generally a safe country for example and Eire.

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"200k won't buy you much here "

What an idiotic comment.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

In property terms I mean

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

No, this goes on all over the world. It just doesn't get reported in the news unless it happens here.

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"If you really want to get angry, look at the situation in Australia. "

It's not that I'm getting angry,

Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejorQVy3m8E

I understand all that, but to be honest, the world is becoming over populated and resources are dwindling. Something's got to give eventually.

Reply privately

over a year ago

These and similar events happen all around the World on a regular basis. This one is newsworthy because it's on our doorstep. Doesn't make it right or okay though,

Reply privately

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

Are the victims Bulgarian?

I didn't expect Bulgaria to be that bad to run away from.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are the victims Bulgarian?

"

Doubtful. Bulgarians don't need to be smuggled, we're still in the EU.

Reply privately

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

"Are the victims Bulgarian?

Doubtful. Bulgarians don't need to be smuggled, we're still in the EU. "

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I watched an Al Jareeza documentary about the Australian offshore refugee camps. One interesting point was that the Australian Labour party introduced the policy, the Conservatives carried it on and that polls show that the policy has overwhelming support from Australians. People smuggling there has virtually stopped and commentators say that this has saved many many lives .. who knows?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I watched an Al Jareeza documentary about the Australian offshore refugee camps. One interesting point was that the Australian Labour party introduced the policy, the Conservatives carried it on and that polls show that the policy has overwhelming support from Australians. People smuggling there has virtually stopped and commentators say that this has saved many many lives .. who knows? "

As someone who's followed the Australian situation closely since Tampa in 2001... You watched an amazingly biased documentary.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I watched an Al Jareeza documentary about the Australian offshore refugee camps. One interesting point was that the Australian Labour party introduced the policy, the Conservatives carried it on and that polls show that the policy has overwhelming support from Australians. People smuggling there has virtually stopped and commentators say that this has saved many many lives .. who knows?

As someone who's followed the Australian situation closely since Tampa in 2001... You watched an amazingly biased documentary."

I will not disagree and bow to your knowledge. You may not share the views on that documentary but the Australian government declined to contribute and the contributers were all against the government stance.

Reply privately

By *oonloverWoman
over a year ago

bognor regis

"

And for a lot of people that is a dream wage - the people that work in retail etc that work all hours never seeing family etc - they are warning a lot less than that

Reply privately

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

"

"

True to where I am now..with 28k/year - you can live comfortably with 2 houses, a nice Civic and travel (asia-europe) at least once a year easily.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

True to where I am now..with 28k/year - you can live comfortably with 2 houses, a nice Civic and travel (asia-europe) at least once a year easily."

I like at least four or five holidays a year... Why not? I was on UB for six months and have made every penny myself and made it honestly without ripping others off..

Reply privately

over a year ago

'they knew the risk' comment is disgusting

Reply privately

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

The lorry might be Irish, registered in bulgaria for tax reasons.

U2 singer uses a similar trick for the lorries that carry the stages around europe when on tour, wont pay Irish tax on them.

I have just been watching politicans try and score points off it all day long.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"'they knew the risk' comment is disgusting "

Reply privately

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"

True to where I am now..with 28k/year - you can live comfortably with 2 houses, a nice Civic and travel (asia-europe) at least once a year easily."

Who cares how far it will stretch where you are now? in the uk it does not stretch far, to make it stretch you will have to live like a slave, sharing a bed with other adults, in a single bedroom with 8 people.

28k for a uk person, trying to live inside the uk, is just about scra.ping by money, specially with kids.

what is the minimum wage you could make where you are now and have a roof over your head? 10k/15k? If you are making 10k there you are probably doing better than the people in the UK on 28k, despite how big the number might sound to you.

If someone is telling someone in a poor country "Come to Dublin ireland, I can get you 1000 a month", then that person will be a slave, cause you cant rent anywhere for that amount.

I did the reverse, i went somewhere with lower wages, and my life quality went up by a lot.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Strange that it came from Holyhead. Suggests that migrants are getting on board in Ireland and begs the questio, how did they get there?

Very sad. RIP

Reply privately

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"Strange that it came from Holyhead. Suggests that migrants are getting on board in Ireland and begs the questio, how did they get there?

Very sad. RIP"

They likely got on in Europe (france), as they have found people in trucks heading for the UK in Dublin before. However its not a very safe route, and its not used a lot, which could explain the Driver not checking, and how it slipped through.

Reply privately

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Like I said above, the Truck is owned by an Irish woman, and is only registered in bulgaria for tax reasons, it probably came from France and not bulgaria.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last sadly ....

Reply privately

over a year ago

So if we had properly controlled borders,and politicians/do gooders not encouraging illegal immigration,there would be no money in this for the traffickers then this wouldn't happen,there's the blame,people coming to this country to take from it,utter ambivilance from me que bleeding hearts n hand wringers

Reply privately

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

"

Who cares how far it will stretch where you are now?

I did the reverse, i went somewhere with lower wages, and my life quality went up by a lot."

I thought that is exactly what i meant?

Reply privately

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I thought they had freedom of movement to the UK, why would they come as stowaways?

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"I thought they had freedom of movement to the UK, why would they come as stowaways?"

EU nationals have freedom of movement. Non-EU nationals do not.

This suggests it is either non-EU nationals or victims of organised crime. Or perhaps both.

Reply privately

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I thought they had freedom of movement to the UK, why would they come as stowaways?

This suggests it is either non-EU nationals or victims of organised crime. Or perhaps both.

"

Thank you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So if we had properly controlled borders,and politicians/do gooders not encouraging illegal immigration,there would be no money in this for the traffickers then this wouldn't happen,there's the blame,people coming to this country to take from it,utter ambivilance from me que bleeding hearts n hand wringers "

Its prohibition that drives black markets, creating organised crime and people smuggling. Not the political left!

There should be an intelligence test when it comes to voting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So I could argue it's The Xenophobic Right Wing that causes deaths such as these.. They're usually the War Hawks and supporters of Financial Domination that causes many migrants home nations to fall apart in the first place.

But I won't.. I'll just mourn the dead.

Reply privately

over a year ago

and its 'queue' FFS

Reply privately

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Just listening to it on the radio now

1 teenager, the rest adults, no gender mentioned.

Such a tragic loss of life

Reply privately

By *otfabcouple2017Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Anyone who consider doing this must feel very desperate therefore didn't fell there was a choice. "

Whether desperate or not, that doesn't negate any risks.

And in reality as no details have been released, we can't just assume they felt they had no choice - We do not know one way or the other.

But it's very sad 39 people are dead

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"So I could argue it's The Xenophobic Right Wing that causes deaths such as these.. They're usually the War Hawks and supporters of Financial Domination that causes many migrants home nations to fall apart in the first place.

But I won't.. I'll just mourn the dead."

People need to calm down and be rational.

You last line tries to tug at the heartstrings, and you simply don't know the truth(as none of us yet do)

What I mean:

Let's suppose that tommorrow we learn the 39 dead people were coming as part of a terrorist plot, they had 39 primary schools which each were going to enter and kill as many children as possible.

If you found this out - would you honestly still feel as bad about it?

Let's wait to hear the full story before using this as a chance to virtue signal.

Now i realise the scenario I made up is most likely completely removed from actual events, but the point still stands.

If we assume they were all innocent victims, we may be right - but we could be wrong also.

It just makes sense to find out before rushing to judgement.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So I could argue it's The Xenophobic Right Wing that causes deaths such as these.. They're usually the War Hawks and supporters of Financial Domination that causes many migrants home nations to fall apart in the first place.

You last line tries to tug at the heartstrings, and you simply don't know the truth(as none of us yet do)

What I mean:

Let's suppose that tommorrow we learn the 39 dead people were coming as part of a terrorist plot, they had 39 primary schools which each were going to enter and kill as many children as possible.

Let's wait to hear the full story before using this as a chance to virtue signal.

Now i realise the scenario I made up is most likely completely removed from actual events, but the point still stands.

If we assume they were all innocent victims, we may be right - but we could be wrong also.

It just makes sense to find out before rushing to judgement. "

Good point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The facts.

It was a refrigerated trailer

Sent over unaccompanied from zeebrugge

It entered the uk at Tilbury

39 people are dead

The rest of it is at this stage unknown

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"I thought they had freedom of movement to the UK, why would they come as stowaways?

"

You are correct however but you only shed light on 2 possibities:Non-EU nationals or victims of crime.

There are other reasons that could explain this. For example, they could also be criminals,or wanted by authorities - this could also explain why they stowed away.

I'm not saying that they were criminals or wanted, it's more likely that they weren't, but there are more possibilities than just the 2 you mentioned.

We will just have to wait and see I guess

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"The facts.

It was a refrigerated trailer

Sent over unaccompanied from zeebrugge

It entered the uk at Tilbury

39 people are dead

The rest of it is at this stage unknown"

Exactly

Let's wait to hear before we argue about it, we may all be in for a shock for we know as this stage!

Reply privately

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

"So if we had properly controlled borders,and politicians/do gooders not encouraging illegal immigration,there would be no money in this for the traffickers then this wouldn't happen,there's the blame,people coming to this country to take from it,utter ambivilance from me que bleeding hearts n hand wringers "

You don't classify yourself as someone who'd like to do good(for others/society as well as yourself and your loved ones) in your life?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"So if we had properly controlled borders,and politicians/do gooders not encouraging illegal immigration,there would be no money in this for the traffickers then this wouldn't happen,there's the blame,people coming to this country to take from it,utter ambivilance from me que bleeding hearts n hand wringers

You don't classify yourself as someone who'd like to do good(for others/society as well as yourself and your loved ones) in your life? "

I think you are being obtuse, I am fairly sure you are intelligent enough to understand what he means.

Your reply doesn't seem like discourse, more inflammatory.

I just think we should discuss the relevant points.

Reply privately

By *miles4himandmeCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Bet you never been skint

Reply privately

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

There was so many elements referenced in hiss answer I didn't know where to start, so just picked the one I thought was the most relevant to him.

Fact is the borders are always going to be porous. Theresa may was the hardest line, anti immigrant home Secretary in recent history, one who pledged to dramatically reduce legal and illegal immigration, yet it went up massively.

Hopefully more on point.

Ie. People are going to keep on coming whether we like it or not.

(not) Doing good by them I think is at the bottom of the current priorities.

Reply privately

By *ork fellaMan
over a year ago

Macroom

So on the news its just said the trailer went from Belgium to Purfleet while the Truck unit entered at Holyhead. The Truck driver collected the trailer this morning at 12.50am. Sounds like the driver has been arrested for doing his job as in he went to collect a trailer and found 39 dead people.

Tragic loss of life. Shouldn't be happening in 2019. Rich get richer and the poor die....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"Bet you never been skint"

If you are referring to me, I'm a dual national,I was born in Africa, I know poverty, whilst we do have homeless people in England, most people who consider themselves to be poor here live like Kings by comparison

That said, I'm not sure if I've correctly interpreted your reply, if not my apologies!

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/10/19 18:16:27]

Reply privately

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

It may not have been ‘their choice’, slavery is alive and a thriving business all over the world including our own country. There’s nothing to say these people were not victims of that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"There was so many elements referenced in hiss answer I didn't know where to start, so just picked the one I thought was the most relevant to him.

Fact is the borders are always going to be porous. Theresa may was the hardest line, anti immigrant home Secretary in recent history, one who pledged to dramatically reduce legal and illegal immigration, yet it went up massively.

Hopefully more on point.

Ie. People are going to keep on coming whether we like it or not.

(not) Doing good by them I think is at the bottom of the current priorities. "

Now that's discourse! This is a much better representation! Apologies for calling you out on it, it's been a long day!

So I'm clear, are you saying you think "doing good" by the illegal immigrants pouring in should be at bottom of priorities?

Reply privately

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

No worries.

No. I'm saying not doing good for immigrants and refugees should be at the bottom off our current priorities.

A higher priority(for one) would be highlighting potential xenophobia also, which was the impulse for my first message.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"It may not have been ‘their choice’, slavery is alive and a thriving business all over the world including our own country. There’s nothing to say these people were not victims of that. "

100% correct, they COULD be victims, they COULD be criminals, they COULD be somewhere in between....

... we dont know so reserving judgement one way or the other seems

wise.

At this point I'm not sure that they have been officially acknowledged as immigrants, we are assuming this as they have discussed the vehicles movements, and that seems logical.

It may turn out they are all British victims of a serial killer over past few years, and they were just found being moved! - meaning all this immigration talk is completely redundant - i realise this is a ridiculous theory, I'm just trying to show we don't know a lot at present. Hope i haven't come off as being an ass

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"No worries.

No. I'm saying not doing good for immigrants and refugees should be at the bottom off our current priorities.

A higher priority(for one) would be highlighting potential xenophobia also, which was the impulse for my first message. "

Highlighting potential xenophobia to who sorry? And to what point regarding this?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

My question is this. There are probably tens or thousands of millions worthy of refugee status. How many should we take and how do we select them... ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My question is this. There are probably tens or thousands of millions worthy of refugee status. How many should we take and how do we select them... ?"

That would be my question too. Too many people in this country need help and that’s where we should be focusing. As sad as it is and there are some awful things going on around the world but as much as it would be wonderful if we could, we simply cannot help everyone.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

There was a report this week of a kindly man who welcomed a homeless family into his house. They gave change the locks and evicted him from his own home.. police day it's a civil matter..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In a Lorry in Essex .

Registered in Bulgaria .

Its heartbreaking, but is it a case of " they knew the risks " ,. The other question is , did the driver know they were in there or not . ??

How do we live in a world where some people are so desperate to escape! This makes me feel distraught "

The majority end up taking month long “holidays” back home every year. If their reasonings for coming here were due to their hellish existence, I truly doubt they’d be going back.

The only refugees we should be taking are from Syria, especially the now under extinction Kurds. The majority though, are Somali, Ethiopian etc, whom already have a decent way of life (which is mainly also funded by your taxes) thus, they are here for a life of frivolous material goods, opposed to any war zone escapism.

Death is never nice, nor is it our duty to allow the planet onto our shores; especially when we already help fund their countries. Blame their greed and tyrant leaders. It’s not our responsibility.

Inb4 faux outrage. Inb4 I’m evil and unfeeling. Inb4 you pretend to care, yet look down on the mentally ill claiming benefits etc.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

To be fair I though it Bizarre that migrants accepted in Germany where going back to Syria on their holidays..

Reuters source

Reply privately

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

"In a Lorry in Essex .

Registered in Bulgaria .

How do we live in a world where some people are so desperate to escape! This makes me feel distraught

The majority end up taking month long “holidays” back home every year. If their reasonings for coming here were due to their hellish existence, I truly doubt they’d be going back.

The only refugees we should be taking are from Syria, especially the now under extinction Kurds. The majority though, are Somali, Ethiopian etc, whom already have a decent way of life (which is mainly also funded by your taxes) thus, they are here for a life of frivolous material goods, opposed to any war zone escapism.

Death is never nice, nor is it our duty to allow the planet onto our shores; especially when we already help fund their countries. Blame their greed and tyrant leaders. It’s not our responsibility.

Inb4 faux outrage. Inb4 I’m evil and unfeeling. Inb4 you pretend to care, yet look down on the mentally ill claiming benefits etc. "

So they may sell everything they own, maybe even using their own bodies also, to pay for what they k ow is risky transportation to the UK, knowing that this may result in death or detention, yet the majority of them go back 'on holiday' to war zones?

I feel there may be problems with this theory!

Also:how do you imagine they'd ever make it back again(seeing as when you go on holiday, by definition, youu always have to come back again. You know. To make it a holiday) ? Takes a fair few months, and they've already sold everything they own.

Asking for a friend..

Reply privately

over a year ago

The UK is a very affluent country compared to many, that's why so many people want to come here. In a way, it's a victim of its' own success. When it becomes as much of a shit hole as the countries they're coming from, they'll stop coming. Work to this end is currently under progress.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I wonder how many were Kurds were killed in Syria last night.. we live in a sterile propaganda zone

Reply privately

over a year ago

Imagine a life so unbearable that this risk is worth it for the slim chance of anything better? So sad. - Mrs

Reply privately

over a year ago

The sick jokes are already making the rounds on social media!!

The mentality of some people!!

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I am not moved a jot.

This happens somewhere every day. It hits home to some on your doorstep..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"and its 'queue' FFS"

"Cue" even

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

"In a Lorry in Essex .

Registered in Bulgaria .

Inb4 faux outrage. Inb4 I’m evil and unfeeling. Inb4 you pretend to care, yet look down on the mentally ill claiming benefits etc.

So they may sell everything they own, maybe even using their own bodies also, to pay for what they k ow is risky transportation to the UK, knowing that this may result in death or detention, yet the majority of them go back 'on holiday' to war zones?

Also:how do you imagine they'd ever make it back again(seeing as when you go on holiday, by definition, youu always have to come back again. You know. To make it a holiday) ? Takes a fair few months, and they've already sold everything they own.

Asking for a friend.. "

Tell your friend:

SOME of the refugees are as you describe. The MAJORITY are not.

Again your post is tugging at the heart strings and obtuse.

He has stated that he thinks we should be taking in Syrian refugees. So genuine cases.

So you are aware I wasn't born in the U.K. I moved here when I was 10, so as you can imagine I'm very Pro-immigration, but we need much better control.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What I mean:

It just makes sense to find out before rushing to judgement. "

Virtue signal? Whatever.. I was just responding to a guy who twisted a horrible tale and turned it into Brexit

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In a Lorry in Essex .

Registered in Bulgaria .

Asking for a friend.. "

You do realise that they don’t come from Africa on a dinghy, yes? They’re dropped off within a mile of the British coast. This means they get rescued by our coast guards, in our waters, thus must be brought here.

If they can garner 10k from selling their personal belongings - they’re much better off than the majority of those already within our rich and prosperous lands. Somalia, Kenya and what not, are truly not as you see on charitable adverts. I feel that your knowledge on this situation is from tabloids. You should look into it a little more. The more economic refugees we accept, lowers the amount we can bring from actual war zones; whom should be the priority, yes?

Reply privately

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Damn, so much economic anxiety. so little empathy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What I mean:

It just makes sense to find out before rushing to judgement.

Virtue signal? Whatever.. I was just responding to a guy who twisted a horrible tale and turned it into Brexit"

Starving for oxygen in a sealed container isn't how I'd want my worst enemy to die, I'm against capital punishment, so in answer to your rather odd reply.. Yes, I'd still feel pretty bad for those 39 people.

Reply privately

By *yn drwgMan
over a year ago

Camarthen

This is a very sad situation that so many lives are lost in a horrific way, what you have to take on board is that the people who lost they're lives travelled through many countries and a few so called developed European countries but the target was the UK, what no one seems to have picked up on that the trailer wasn't brought in to the country with the lorry unit that was found in Essex the unit picked the trailer up from a dock that morning.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"The UK is a very affluent country compared to many, that's why so many people want to come here. In a way, it's a victim of its' own success. When it becomes as much of a shit hole as the countries they're coming from, they'll stop coming. Work to this end is currently under progress."

The only thing making this country a shit hole is our own government and a worryingly growing number of vile, hateful people.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Damn, so much economic anxiety. so little empathy."

This! It's a sad day when money trumps humanity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Damn, so much economic anxiety. so little empathy.

This! It's a sad day when money trumps humanity."

Umm.. That's all it's ever been.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Both Jeremy and Boris gave condolences in the commons..

Do you really think they give a flying monkey.. ?

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Umm.. That's all it's ever been. "

Its a sad day every day then.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do they not to do stop checks ? Make sure the cargo is secured ? Sign for deliveries ? Lorry check and inspection to make sure it’s suitable and safe to drive ? Interested to see how the investigation pans out. Sad news indeed"

the driver will have known he was carrying something illegal but probably not interested in knowing what

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

No pity or empathy here.. all used up..

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"No pity or empathy here.. all used up.. "

Congratulations?

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s about saving those most in need! Opposed to those most in “want”. There’s a percentage in which we can allow in. If we look at this in the case of welfare: would you prefer the idle to have benefits and the disabled/ill none? It’s the same situation, essentially.

Whilst we can empathise with their deaths, it was a risk they willingly took, yet never had to.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

It’s about saving those most in need! Opposed to those most in “want”. There’s a percentage in which we can allow in. If we look at this in the case of welfare: would you prefer the idle to have benefits and the disabled/ill none? It’s the same situation, essentially.

Whilst we can empathise with their deaths, it was a risk they willingly took, yet never had to. "

How do you know they never had to? They obviously felt they did and paid with their lives.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/10/19 21:21:03]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It is a an aweful aweful thing to happen to people perhaps with hopes of a better future or fleeing dangers.

Because every day the news is filled with stories of war, death, starvation, cruelty I feel numb to all of the suffering. I feel nothing, no pity, no empathy, no sorrow. I should be on the shrinks couch because I am not moved at all. Not sure if I have issues or that I am a cold blooded twat. Probably the latter.. "

I'm the same why not stop and change yes they might lose there life but eventually if enough do it will change imagine if Nelson Mandela gave.up south Africa would still be segregated stop running away and change with help from other countries

Reply privately

over a year ago

This thread, well certain posters, I have no words forvtgevkack of humanity and compassion

Reply privately

over a year ago

Save the childrn are running an interesting series at the moment on the plight of children refugees and what it is like for them existind day to day. It is a week of 5 minute videos

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

RIP

Yeah, it just struck a chord with me that there are so many people crying out for help and we as a nation seem to do so little for the people that need it most....."

I agree look after your own first I'd stop all international help and all migrant movement until we have sorted are own shite out

Reply privately

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Wow.. luckily for me my grandparents escaped the concentration camps and got here safely as immigrants.. not everyone is lucky enough to be born into peace.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"It is a an aweful aweful thing to happen to people perhaps with hopes of a better future or fleeing dangers.

Because every day the news is filled with stories of war, death, starvation, cruelty I feel numb to all of the suffering. I feel nothing, no pity, no empathy, no sorrow. I should be on the shrinks couch because I am not moved at all. Not sure if I have issues or that I am a cold blooded twat. Probably the latter.. I'm the same why not stop and change yes they might lose there life but eventually if enough do it will change imagine if Nelson Mandela gave.up south Africa would still be segregated stop running away and change with help from other countries"

Absolutely disagree! My nan fled Holland in the 1940s and I will defend her doing so to the death. It was not her responsibility to stay and change things and she likely wouldn't have faired well attempting to do so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Whilst we can empathise with their deaths, it was a risk they willingly took, yet never had to.

How do you know they never had to? They obviously felt they did and paid with their lives."

They never got on the lorry in a war zone/3rd world country. The hope of more, is why they took the risk.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

RIP

Yeah, it just struck a chord with me that there are so many people crying out for help and we as a nation seem to do so little for the people that need it most.....I agree look after your own first I'd stop all international help and all migrant movement until we have sorted are own shite out"

Not helping our own is a political choice by our government. We can afford to do so, they choose not to to appease those who fear "benefit scroungers".

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

RIP

Yeah, it just struck a chord with me that there are so many people crying out for help and we as a nation seem to do so little for the people that need it most.....I agree look after your own first I'd stop all international help and all migrant movement until we have sorted are own shite out

Not helping our own is a political choice by our government. We can afford to do so, they choose not to to appease those who fear "benefit scroungers"."

And to keep making the rich richer of course.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I watched an Al Jareeza documentary about the Australian offshore refugee camps. One interesting point was that the Australian Labour party introduced the policy, the Conservatives carried it on and that polls show that the policy has overwhelming support from Australians. People smuggling there has virtually stopped and commentators say that this has saved many many lives .. who knows? "
Love the Aussies we need some over here in charge

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So on the news its just said the trailer went from Belgium to Purfleet while the Truck unit entered at Holyhead. The Truck driver collected the trailer this morning at 12.50am. Sounds like the driver has been arrested for doing his job as in he went to collect a trailer and found 39 dead people.

Tragic loss of life. Shouldn't be happening in 2019. Rich get richer and the poor die.... "

The fucked up media leaked his name hours ago. If this guy is totally innocent, which ya looking like he is, god love him. Such a tragic event.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So on the news its just said the trailer went from Belgium to Purfleet while the Truck unit entered at Holyhead. The Truck driver collected the trailer this morning at 12.50am. Sounds like the driver has been arrested for doing his job as in he went to collect a trailer and found 39 dead people.

Tragic loss of life. Shouldn't be happening in 2019. Rich get richer and the poor die....

The fucked up media leaked his name hours ago. If this guy is totally innocent, which ya looking like he is, god love him. Such a tragic event."

*which it’s looking

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because every day the news is filled with stories of war, death, starvation, cruelty I feel numb to all of the suffering. I feel nothing, no pity, no empathy, no sorrow. I should be on the shrinks couch because I am not moved at all. Not sure if I have issues or that I am a cold blooded twat. Probably the latter.. I'm the same why not stop and change yes they might lose there life but eventually if enough do it will change imagine if Nelson Mandela gave.up south Africa would still be segregated stop running away and change with help from other countries

Absolutely disagree! My nan fled Holland in the 1940s and I will defend her doing so to the death. It was not her responsibility to stay and change things and she likely wouldn't have faired well attempting to do so."

that's fine but it's not are responsibility neither to have them here

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Because every day the news is filled with stories of war, death, starvation, cruelty I feel numb to all of the suffering. I feel nothing, no pity, no empathy, no sorrow. I should be on the shrinks couch because I am not moved at all. Not sure if I have issues or that I am a cold blooded twat. Probably the latter.. I'm the same why not stop and change yes they might lose there life but eventually if enough do it will change imagine if Nelson Mandela gave.up south Africa would still be segregated stop running away and change with help from other countries

Absolutely disagree! My nan fled Holland in the 1940s and I will defend her doing so to the death. It was not her responsibility to stay and change things and she likely wouldn't have faired well attempting to do so. that's fine but it's not are responsibility neither to have them here "

Should have just left them to it eh?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Desperation of a better life holds no bounds on what people will do, rest their souls.

My anger is at those that facilitate this and don’t ensure they have a safe way to travel and probably charged a fortune for doing so "

People's are ready to buy dreams at any cost, very less hold reality for free...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Absolutely disagree! My nan fled Holland in the 1940s and I will defend her doing so to the death. It was not her responsibility to stay and change things and she likely wouldn't have faired well attempting to do so. that's fine but it's not are responsibility neither to have them here

Should have just left them to it eh?"

no we should help them stay in there own country

Reply privately

over a year ago

Absolutely disagree! My nan fled Holland in the 1940s and I will defend her doing so to the death. It was not her responsibility to stay and change things and she likely wouldn't have faired well attempting to do so. that's fine but it's not are responsibility neither to have them here

Should have just left them to it eh?no we should help them stay in there own country "

You do know why people were fleeing Holland in the 1940s don't you?

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Should have just left them to it eh?no we should help them stay in there own country "

And if they die in the meantime?

You know what would help them stay in their own country? If we didn't orchestrate the conflict in the first place for our own personal gain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Should have just left them to it eh?no we should help them stay in there own country

You know what would help them stay in their own country? If we didn't orchestrate the conflict in the first place for our own personal gain."

Well said

Reply privately

over a year ago

Should have just left them to it eh?no we should help them stay in there own country

You do know why people were fleeing Holland in the 1940s don't you? "

Yeah I think I read it somewhere in a diary

Reply privately

over a year ago

You do know why people were fleeing Holland in the 1940s don't you? Yeah I think I read it somewhere in a diary"

So just to be clear even though the British were doing everything they could and given that those fleeing Europe were risking their lives to escape death you think that those people should have stayed and died and that Britain had no responsibility to helping them once they were here?

Because that is what you have said? And the fact you think that about current times is completely lacking in humanity but to have actually knowingly reiterated the point when talking about WWII is pretty vile

Reply privately

over a year ago

You know what would help them stay in their own country? If we didn't orchestrate the conflict in the first place for our own personal gain."

We haven’t orchestrated anything within the countries of those found within the confines of lorries. Those from war zones are generally in camps, and get brought over legally, and safely. Those breaking into trucks (whilst already in a European country) are 99.5% of the time - Somali, Kenyan and Ethiopian.

This is why it’s so much more difficult for those actually fleeing war. Everyone has to be processed and found to be genuine. We can only take in so many which means the chancers are taking the place of those in genuine need.

This means that they are the reason, that those genuinely seeking asylum, are being left to die. Please have some empathy for those being killed in Syria for being an opposing faith of Islam/Christian or Kurd. We shouldn’t really be placing those after UK benefits within the same category.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

You know what would help them stay in their own country? If we didn't orchestrate the conflict in the first place for our own personal gain.

We haven’t orchestrated anything within the countries of those found within the confines of lorries. Those from war zones are generally in camps, and get brought over legally, and safely. Those breaking into trucks (whilst already in a European country) are 99.5% of the time - Somali, Kenyan and Ethiopian.

This is why it’s so much more difficult for those actually fleeing war. Everyone has to be processed and found to be genuine. We can only take in so many which means the chancers are taking the place of those in genuine need.

This means that they are the reason, that those genuinely seeking asylum, are being left to die. Please have some empathy for those being killed in Syria for being an opposing faith of Islam/Christian or Kurd. We shouldn’t really be placing those after UK benefits within the same category. "

We literally caused the conflict between Somalia and Ethiopia!

Reply privately

By *ork fellaMan
over a year ago

Macroom

The fucked up media leaked his name hours ago. If this guy is totally innocent, which ya looking like he is, god love him. Such a tragic event.

*which it’s looking"

Very hard on that driver. Poor man just trying to earn a living and he was probably the one that alerted the ambulances police etc. Probably protocol to arrest him though. Media should leave him alone. Hard enough to deal with finding 39 dead people than to have your name splashed all over the place to be associated with it

Reply privately

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

From 1998 to 2006, I was Ops Manager for a large Truckstop in Essex, very closely situated to where these poor victims were found today.

Our site allowed drivers to take their breaks at our restaurant for which drivers coming up from Dover would stop to meet legal regs.

We also had a trailer drop off facility, where trailers could stay awaiting planned pick up for onward transit.

Today's incident, albeit with live people inside trailers, occurred on our site several times a week as banging on the insides would alert my Security Team, and we would alert all the authorities.

Problem for the driver was invariably, whoever loaded all those inside, could then seal the trailer shut in such an expert way, that the driver on doing their trailer check at pick up, would see a correct Customs Seal, put on at the time of loading but utterly unaware of that seal having been broken and subsequently expertly replaced.

Also, as investigations deepened with those who were released, those immigrants would've been advised on being put into the trailer, not to make any sound or alert signal for a set specified time, to allow the trailer to reach its destination where they'd been released.

Their conditions were wretched. In total darkness, little food or water, no loo options, no heating or in Summer, they'd almost suffocate in the heat inside.

We never had any fatality on site, but plenty of people thankful to get into fresh air. We'd provide Emergency Ration Packs of high protein biscuits, and bottled water till all the Emergency Services and authorities turned up.

Today's event was a tragedy in the making.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This means that they are the reason, that those genuinely seeking asylum, are being left to die. Please have some empathy for those being killed in Syria for being an opposing faith of Islam/Christian or Kurd. We shouldn’t really be placing those after UK benefits within the same category.

We literally caused the conflict between Somalia and Ethiopia!"

The 80’s just called....

Reply privately

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

"no we should help them stay in there own country "

I take it that means you're in favour of increasing the overseas aid budget?

Perhaps you're not the heartless ignoramus you seem to be.

Reply privately

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"no we should help them stay in there own country "

Read my other posting on here, about my shared experiences dealing with illegal immigrants emerging from trucks.

Two cases really hit home for me. One family of Vietnamese had been "on the road" for almost 7 months, staying in safe homes en-route provided by the traffickers. Seven months of being moved across Asia and Europe, 3 generations from grandparents, to a 1 yr old child, at a cost to them of $8000 per head, regardless of age.

They'd found the money in every way possible, incl borrowing from poor relatives back home, but looked forward to arriving in the UK.

They'd nothing to go back to in Vietnam. Zero money, zero home, zero prospects.

The second case was a Middle Eastern family who escaped from a country where they were the minority and risked persecution each day due to their religion.

Eight people incl 3 young children who'd paid $40k to escape and had been travelling for 8 weeks. To go back to their country would sign their death warrants!

To say they should be helped to stay back in their own country is easy to say, but not always the safest or most practical option.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"no we should help them stay in there own country

Read my other posting on here, about my shared experiences dealing with illegal immigrants emerging from trucks.

Two cases really hit home for me. One family of Vietnamese had been "on the road" for almost 7 months, staying in safe homes en-route provided by the traffickers. Seven months of being moved across Asia and Europe, 3 generations from grandparents, to a 1 yr old child, at a cost to them of $8000 per head, regardless of age.

They'd found the money in every way possible, incl borrowing from poor relatives back home, but looked forward to arriving in the UK.

They'd nothing to go back to in Vietnam. Zero money, zero home, zero prospects.

The second case was a Middle Eastern family who escaped from a country where they were the minority and risked persecution each day due to their religion.

Eight people incl 3 young children who'd paid $40k to escape and had been travelling for 8 weeks. To go back to their country would sign their death warrants!

To say they should be helped to stay back in their own country is easy to say, but not always the safest or most practical option.

"

I agree with you but, neither migration is pragmatic solution. It's heart wrenching incident, if powerful countries can invade another country for biological weapons, I am sure they can help with humanitarian aids with real motive.

Reply privately

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

It begs the question what is the answer is so many people will risk their lifes in such ways on a daily basis? People wouldn't risk so much unless it was a last resort to trade their current peril for what they see as a good, peaceful and fair life in the UK. After all the UK is often the goal. Do we keep shutting them out and saying tough luck for not being born British? Do open the boarders and say no one owns the land, its everyone and it's free for everyone to navigate unimpeded? Or we stride to make the parts of the globe people are coming from more tolerable so they don't feel forced into such desperate measure. In the end most people just want peace, security, justice and hope for their children. Humans throughout history have always migrated from land which offers little to places where they see the land can better support their needs. In this modern age of communication its impossible for anyone not to see the relative abundance and peace in western Europe and north America compared to their land.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What an awful loss of life.

The driver is from Northern Ireland, apparently, and the lorry entered the UK at Holyhead.

"

This morning though they say the lorry entered the UK from Belgium. There are no ferrys from Belgium to Holyhead.

The timing of this seems a heck of a coincidence. Obviously come from the EU into Ireland who have a customs union through the Irish border into the UK where there are no checks, then Northern Ireland into Holyhead, a domestic crossing to no customs checks.

This is always going to be used as an example of why the Irish backstop is or is not going to work.

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Yes, the initial news pointed to the Holyhead - Dublin route.

Later reports said the cab came into UK via this route while the trailer, minus the cab, travelled on a ferry from Belgium to Essex.

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"What an awful loss of life.

This morning though they say the lorry entered the UK from Belgium. There are no ferrys from Belgium to Holyhead.

The timing of this seems a heck of a coincidence. Obviously come from the EU into Ireland who have a customs union through the Irish border into the UK where there are no checks, then Northern Ireland into Holyhead, a domestic crossing to no customs checks.

This is always going to be used as an example of why the Irish backstop is or is not going to work."

Are you suggesting a conspiracy by the government??

What the hell!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its disgusting and unfortunately wont be the last. Desperate people take desperate measures.

Reply privately

By *armar61Man
over a year ago

redditch

Read the latest news your way behind

Reply privately

By *armar61Man
over a year ago

redditch

Read the latest news your way behind

Reply privately

By *hom01Man
over a year ago

St. Albans

They're prepared to pay with their lives to be in a country that we all complain about & think is shite .....

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The Daily Mirror headline is, The Tomb of Steel

Just another headline to them to sell papers. There is a macabre fascination with this story which I dislike.

Well I for one slept well last night.

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"Originally, we reported that the lorry had travelled into the country through Holyhead on Saturday 19 October.

"After further enquiries, we now believe that the trailer travelled from Zeebrugge into Purfleet, and docked in the Thurrock area shortly after 12:30am this morning. The tractor unit of the lorry is believed to have originated in Northern Ireland."

- Essex Police

Reply privately

over a year ago

Awfully inconsiderate post, awfully inconsiderate replies except for a couple and it shows humanity at it's worst! What a disgusting filthy, "live news" internet, nothing off the table, world we live in - Shame on you all

I'm sure this matter is being investigated by the appropriate ppl who possibly know a little more about the situation than they saw on BBC, or were told by a fab friend, or read on face cake....

It's more sickening to see you idiots arguing over the corpses and ar the funeral than the heartbreak of the 39 poor folk dying. British ppl have lost a lot of respect lately, I mean both lost and LOST....

This is why I take forum holidays every so often, you vile bunch of "ppl".....

Reply privately

over a year ago

The lorry started in Bulgaria, chances are it's not the same driver all the route and there have been several as the trailer reaches ports. The driver in question may have only picked the trailer up in Ireland.

As for checks, if it is a sealed load the driver doesn't check and is not authorised to. He'll have a manifest that customs will check and legally only customs are allowed to open sealed containers. If a sealed container is open when customs inspect it, it would be impounded for further checks. And by sealed I mean the rear doors have a metal seal with tag number that is recorded on the bill of lading, if the seal has a different number at any time it is impounded because it's obviously been opened.

Also no-one knows at what point these people got on board. But considering the number involved they are no chance stowaways, it would take too long to get the container open and every one aboard without being noticed. So chances are they were in the container from the start.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's tragic that these people died. I for one will not join in a week of fab official mourning. Would I be upset if it was a relative? Yes.

Believe me there will be another tragedy to please the professional mourners very soon I am sure.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's tragic that these people died. I for one will not join in a week of fab official mourning. Would I be upset if it was a relative? Yes.

Believe me there will be another tragedy to please the professional mourners very soon I am sure."

Respect and decency, not mourn buddy.... HUGE difference....

Reply privately

over a year ago

They'll have paid someone to get them inside that container, and possibly some payment took place between the vehicle owner or the driver.

There's far more to this than the headline would have us think.

The police & partner agencies will do their jobs,reach a conclusion and then we'll all know what and how it happened.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/10/19 07:43:07]

Reply privately

over a year ago

If this had ended with 39 illegal immigrants apprehended in Essex, would they still be getting defended in this way as being victims or would they be getting vilified as criminals one wonders.

For the record I didn't suggest it was a government conspiracy (if anyone wants to believe that then feel free) I do suspect the publicity it's getting has been pushed by the government and at a different time and place it might not have been such a convenient news item resulting in being further down the running order.

Reply privately

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"I do suspect the publicity it's getting has been pushed by the government and at a different time and place it might not have been such a convenient news item resulting in being further down the running order. "

39 bodies and an arrest for mass murder doesn't get tucked away on page 26 beside the WRI news.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Many Cuban citizens lose their lives getting eaten by sharks or drowning trying to cross the sea to get to USA,looking for a better life,because in Cuba the salary is not even enough to buy food...So yes,people break the law,but it's human instinct to try to survive also...Paying with your life for it is a extreme punishment

Reply privately

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

For the ethno-nationalists, economically anxious and white christians among us:

Do not oppress a foreign resident, since you yourselves know how it feels to be foreigners; for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Always interesting when any perceived slight is turned into a racist thread. It matters not a lot if they are white, pink or green to most.

Reply privately

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

Just heard this and it is heartbreaking...I agree with the above

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nottingham

When you say "we" were you involved in some plot I do know about?

39 people are dead, your talking about some conspiracy to make the rich even richer!

Come on, if you truelly care don't use this as an opportunity to blame and accuse those you disagree politically with of being unfeeling.

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

You'd have to be desperate to not stop and think: 39 of us in a sealed refrigerated lorry does not sound like a good idea.

Don't know why people risk their lives to come to the UK. The streets are hardly paved in gold: in fact life is pretty harsh.

Reply privately

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

money has all ways trumped everything humanity included.always has and always will.s it right?no.will ot change? no

Reply privately