Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Total motorsport ban

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Given that we face imminent extinction unless we dramatically change our ways - according to those protesters in London anyway, should there be an immediate global ban on all forms of motorsport?

It’s all been done to death anyway and the idea of racing around a track and getting a trophy after begging people to sponsor you is all old hat now surely?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Given that we face imminent extinction unless we dramatically change our ways - according to those protesters in London anyway, should there be an immediate global ban on all forms of motorsport?

It’s all been done to death anyway and the idea of racing around a track and getting a trophy after begging people to sponsor you is all old hat now surely?

"

I bet there's technology to race electric cars at the same speeds. No problem there as far as I can see...

By *aucy tiggerWoman
over a year ago

Back where I belong

"Given that we face imminent extinction unless we dramatically change our ways - according to those protesters in London anyway, should there be an immediate global ban on all forms of motorsport?

I bet there's technology to race electric cars at the same speeds. No problem there as far as I can see... "

A life size scalextrix? Ooo what fun

over a year ago

If you're going to ban motorsports, then why not just bad all forms of transportation that burn fuel?

over a year ago

I bet there's technology to race electric cars at the same speeds. No problem there as far as I can see...

A life size scalextrix? Ooo what fun "

Do I sense sarcasm?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Given that nearly all forms of international sport involve air travel (I can't think of one that doesn't) we might as well ban them all.

over a year ago

Formula e, is all electrickery

over a year ago

Online racing is the future

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"If you're going to ban motorsports, then why not just bad all forms of transportation that burn fuel?"

Because it’s necessary to travel. How else would I get to a meet or a club?

Also I love the infernal combustion engine so in a way I’m playing the Devils avocado. Although it got me thinking and really, racing has all been done, there’s nothing new exciting / interesting to see- no longer a ‘sport’.

over a year ago

"If you're going to ban motorsports, then why not just bad all forms of transportation that burn fuel?

Because it’s necessary to travel. How else would I get to a meet or a club?

Also I love the infernal combustion engine so in a way I’m playing the Devils avocado. Although it got me thinking and really, racing has all been done, there’s nothing new exciting / interesting to see- no longer a ‘sport’."

You could say that about all sports really. Is anything new going to happen in football or tennis for example?

What a lot of people forget about motor sports is the technology used to win races is often trickled down into the road cars we have, motor sports have a done a lot in the way of making cars safer and more efficient

over a year ago

"Formula e, is all electrickery"

And it is just terrible to watch

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

"

Honestly this is probably the sort of thing we need to do, it's unpopular and people will despise whichever government carries it out but it's all for the *ahem* grea'er good.

Besides, as it's been pointed out there's already a Formula-E which could still entertain the F1 fans, swap out a few more for electrical versions and it wouldn't quite be the end of the world that motorsport fans would have you believe.

Another bonus of swapping to electric racing would be the leaps and bounds that the technology would receive as teams try to squeeze everything they can from their vehicles.

over a year ago

"Formula e, is all electrickery

And it is just terrible to watch "

And they sound awful

over a year ago

Honestly this is probably the sort of thing we need to do, it's unpopular and people will despise whichever government carries it out but it's all for the *ahem* grea'er good.

Besides, as it's been pointed out there's already a Formula-E which could still entertain the F1 fans, swap out a few more for electrical versions and it wouldn't quite be the end of the world that motorsport fans would have you believe.

Another bonus of swapping to electric racing would be the leaps and bounds that the technology would receive as teams try to squeeze everything they can from their vehicles. "

Formula E is far from "clean" racing. Agree it would help future technology though

over a year ago

And it is just terrible to watch

And they sound awful"

God yes, I would rather never watch a race again than watch Formula E

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"If you're going to ban motorsports, then why not just bad all forms of transportation that burn fuel?"

Let's just ban people, there you go, sorted!

over a year ago

"If you're going to ban motorsports, then why not just bad all forms of transportation that burn fuel?

Let's just ban people, there you go, sorted!"

Can't deny the world would be much better off without humans in it

By *oiluvfunMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"

No.

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

Another bonus of swapping to electric racing would be the leaps and bounds that the technology would receive as teams try to squeeze everything they can from their vehicles.

Formula E is far from "clean" racing. Agree it would help future technology though"

True but it is cleaner than F1, although not as entertaining to watching without the sound... they can always dub that over in post though

over a year ago

Formula E is far from "clean" racing. Agree it would help future technology though

True but it is cleaner than F1, although not as entertaining to watching without the sound... they can always dub that over in post though "

Hydro is the future... well once the oil companies have done a deal /taken over the water companies that is

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

Can't deny the world would be much better off without humans in it"

When peo2e say climate change will destroy the earth

What they mean is... It will destroy the human race.

The earth has been around for billions of years, it will be around long after the human race is extinct.

It will shake us off like a bad one night stand

over a year ago

The earth has been around for billions of years, it will be around long after the human race is extinct.

It will shake us off like a bad one night stand"

In planetary timescales that's about right for the length of time we've been here...

over a year ago

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Yeah but imagine the size of the people needed to stand near any corners to lift the cars back on the track when they fly off because the controller's trigger finger was a little too heavy

By *exi_LexiTV/TS
over a year ago

wales

Don't blame it on the cars and engine, it's the human race that's fucked this planet over, we don't deserve to live on such a lovely planet if this is how we treat it, now they talk about exploring and maybe living on other planets, see we are not content with just fucking up earth we feel the need to move on and fuck up others, space around earth is now becoming a scrap yard with usless satellites, best thing for this planet is for everyone to get together and I mean every last living soul and all kill ourselves to save this planet

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Oh and to the OPs point - I'm no fan of motorsport but I don't think it should be banned any more than any other activity that causes carbon footprint issues - whilst I agree as the most intelligent lifeform on this planet we should take action to stop it's demise, where do you stop if you start banning things completely?

over a year ago

i work in motorsport, and trust me we are trying to be as green as possible, but its no where nr as bad as everyone on the roads every day going to work, and most race cars are way more efficiant than your family hatchback, why pit more than you have to, fuel use is key

over a year ago

I bet there's technology to race electric cars at the same speeds. No problem there as far as I can see... "

There is. Have you not heard of Formula E?

The husband of an old school friend is team principle for Audi

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Rather they ban meat eating pets..

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"Rather they ban meat eating pets..

"

That and the OP's original point are very valid examples of waste (one could argue unnecessary waste).

There are probably a few others, and some counter measures, that just won't fly (until we are on our last legs and the cities are drowning).

For one it would be sensible to recycle bodies and if not eat them, use them for fertiliser.

over a year ago

Nahhhh. ill still carry on smoking found in my 8mpg v8 & drag racing at santapod.

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

Wiping out half of the human population would be better.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Wiping out half of the human population would be better. "

The male half. Except for me of course!

over a year ago

Why pick on motorsports football teams drive and fly around and how many fans drive to games. These ER freaks won’t be happy till we are all living in mud huts again with no lights or electricity.

over a year ago

I compete in motorsport but also don't have a vehicle other than those compete ... which do less than 50 miles a year!

over a year ago

Need to ban cows from farting to

By *0FrankMan
over a year ago

The South!

"I compete in motorsport but also don't have a vehicle other than those compete ... which do less than 50 miles a year! "

Lawn mower racing doesn't count. ????????

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Why pick on motorsports football teams drive and fly around and how many fans drive to games. These ER freaks won’t be happy till we are all living in mud huts again with no lights or electricity."

But football can be really exciting. I could be persuaded to make an exception for rallying as I used to really enjoy that, both in terms of driving and spectating. But just going round and round a circuit - boring!

By *0FrankMan
over a year ago

The South!

The factory that made your iPhone pumps out more Carbon in a week than the entire F1 calendar.

over a year ago

I think instead of trying to control what other people do, make sure that your own life is a fantastic example to the rest of the world ... be the best you can be before trying to change others

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

"Wiping out half of the human population would be better.

The male half. Except for me of course! "

Nope, the ones that think banning a sport will make a huge difference should be the first to go!

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Nope, the ones that think banning a sport will make a huge difference should be the first to go!"

what sort of an idiot would come up with an idea like that?

over a year ago

Ban vibrators too, while you're at it. I'm far better anyway

over a year ago

"Why pick on motorsports football teams drive and fly around and how many fans drive to games. These ER freaks won’t be happy till we are all living in mud huts again with no lights or electricity.

But football can be really exciting. I could be persuaded to make an exception for rallying as I used to really enjoy that, both in terms of driving and spectating. But just going round and round a circuit - boring!"

Football is exciting REALLY ????22 over paid twats chasing a ball around for 90 mins. Would rather repaint my fence and watch it dry for 90 mins

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"The factory that made your iPhone pumps out more Carbon in a week than the entire F1 calendar. "

Proven fact ??? I do not have an iPhone.....

over a year ago

Another bonus of swapping to electric racing would be the leaps and bounds that the technology would receive as teams try to squeeze everything they can from their vehicles. "

You think that’s unpopular, wait until the absolutely necessary population control measures are brought in ......

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

"

Hi look like you may have us a aeroplane to find the beach you're on banner aeroplanes not Motorsport..

over a year ago

"Why pick on motorsports football teams drive and fly around and how many fans drive to games. These ER freaks won’t be happy till we are all living in mud huts again with no lights or electricity.

But football can be really exciting. I could be persuaded to make an exception for rallying as I used to really enjoy that, both in terms of driving and spectating. But just going round and round a circuit - boring!

Football is exciting REALLY ????22 over paid twats chasing a ball around for 90 mins. Would rather repaint my fence and watch it dry for 90 mins "

this, and over paid most of them, dont forget most racers pay for thier drives

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

Nope, the ones that think banning a sport will make a huge difference should be the first to go! what sort of an idiot would come up with an idea like that? "

Lets ban motorsport... Except the one (you) used to compete in

(your) argument for a track motorsport ban is (you) find it boring.... WOW

It's a thin argument covered in fallacies to say motorsport should be banned ed because it emits carbon whilst the sport is undertaken.

As others have made the point... Lets focus on sports with the highest ecological impact.

Id (guess) thats golf. Flying across the globe to play on massive green spaces to knock tiny balls into holes. And the water to maintain the grounds

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

Nope, the ones that think banning a sport will make a huge difference should be the first to go! what sort of an idiot would come up with an idea like that? "

I know right!

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Nope, the ones that think banning a sport will make a huge difference should be the first to go! what sort of an idiot would come up with an idea like that?

It's a thin argument covered in fallacies to say motorsport should be banned ed because it emits carbon whilst the sport is undertaken.

As others have made the point... Lets focus on sports with the highest ecological impact.

Id (guess) thats golf. Flying across the globe to play on massive green spaces to knock tiny balls into holes. And the water to maintain the grounds"

But golf is fantastic. Some would say it’s the ultimate sport. I used to enjoy all motorsport but it’s had its day, all been done. Time to move on.

over a year ago

Why? ... because you don't like it anymore?

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

Nope, the ones that think banning a sport will make a huge difference should be the first to go! what sort of an idiot would come up with an idea like that?

Id (guess) thats golf. Flying across the globe to play on massive green spaces to knock tiny balls into holes. And the water to maintain the grounds

But golf is fantastic. Some would say it’s the ultimate sport. I used to enjoy all motorsport but it’s had its day, all been done. Time to move on. "

Yeah I think we have all moved on from your thread.

By *ichelangeloxMan
over a year ago

cambridge

Need to ban cows from farting to.

Cows are stubborn by nature and won’t obey the ban. My suggest, the use of corks!!!

By *ungscotsman26Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Just ban anything fun that will solve it

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Why? ... because you don't like it anymore?

"

Pretty much yeah. It was just a thought.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Just ban anything fun that will solve it "

Now that’s going too far.

over a year ago

Pretty much yeah. It was just a thought. "

Bit sad really though don't you think? I don't like lots of things but wouldn't consider banning them as other people enjoy them!!

over a year ago

"Wiping out half of the human population would be better. "

The Thanos Solution.

over a year ago

Think it's more useful to adapt sports such as Formula E to bring technology forward so we all benefit.

It's not ideal to have any international sport, with all the travelling but if we start banning things like that then where do you stop.

Stopping fans attending football matches as 40,000 people travelling to a city centre burns lots of carbon/air pollution, even if a good percentage use public transport.

It's a slippery slope, not to mention how unpopular it would be

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

It will shake us off like a bad one night stand"

Yes. Prof Brian Cox said something similar as this has already happened apparently with other planets in the solar system.

By *lan157Man
over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

The carbon cost of motor sport events is small compared to the travelling of those attending. So you might as well ban travel to music concerts or indeed any event more than walking distance from your home . Every music or sporting event can be streamed to your armchair and you need never venture from it safe in the knowledge you have done your bit.

over a year ago

Pretty much yeah. It was just a thought.

Bit sad really though don't you think? I don't like lots of things but wouldn't consider banning them as other people enjoy them!! "

I dunno, I'd happily ban one of my exes, lime pickle, Piers Morgan, the word chav, the phrase "need to unload", Snapchat filters for anyone over 25, card only shops, tons of politicians and many other things even though they all seem very popular. Perhaps it's best I'm not in charge.

By *ork fellaMan
over a year ago

Macroom

"

Wouldn't agree if your a person that enjoys motorsports. Many forms of it. World Rally Championship I love to follow, mostly from the comforts of an armchair in the living room. This whole extinction rebellion crap is just that, a load of crap. Take one look at the type of people protesting and that should tell you all you need to know

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"

Omg really.. motorsport is what i spend most of my personal time indulging in some way.. it is amazing

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Omg really.. motorsport is what i spend most of my personal time indulging in some way.. it is amazing "

Yet he is happy for golf can stay because that is fun

Most strange.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

Omg really.. motorsport is what i spend most of my personal time indulging in some way.. it is amazing

Most strange. "

golf and fun.. he must mean a golf GTi

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Most strange. golf and fun.. he must mean a golf GTi "

That's the only fun kind of golf I can think of

over a year ago

Having looked into the effect of motorsport based emissions around 10 years ago...

A Boeing 737 taxiing to the runway for takeoff uses more fuel, than an entire weekend of motorsport at once circuit. And as a result, creates more emissions. Have a look and see how many aircraft at any one time are flying high above us. And while were at it, check the emissions from Shipping Freight.

Yeah, motorsport stays

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Most strange. golf and fun.. he must mean a golf GTi

That's the only fun kind of golf I can think of "

You are all starting to miss the point. By the way, a Golf GTI is fun. The game of golf and football are exciting, thrilling sports that evoke great emotion and have evolved. Cars going round and round, then the podium, the bottle of bubbly (wasted) been done to death, the winner gets a trophy and some points for a bigger trophy at the end of the year. The drivers ponce around in their racing overalls thinking they are great warriors / sportsmen. Time to move on, it won’t be missed.

over a year ago

You are all starting to miss the point. By the way, a Golf GTI is fun. The game of golf and football are exciting, thrilling sports that evoke great emotion and have evolved. Cars going round and round, then the podium, the bottle of bubbly (wasted) been done to death, the winner gets a trophy and some points for a bigger trophy at the end of the year. The drivers ponce around in their racing overalls thinking they are great warriors / sportsmen. Time to move on, it won’t be missed. "

You can reduce any activity to it's most basic form as you have for motor racing.

For example, 22 grown men chasing a ball around a field. But that is quite childish and doesn't add anything to and this debate, please don't clog up the thread if you have nothing to contribute

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/10/19 17:18:56]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/10/19 17:19:06]

over a year ago

"Having looked into the effect of motorsport based emissions around 10 years ago...

A Boeing 737 taxiing to the runway for takeoff uses more fuel, than an entire weekend of motorsport at once circuit. And as a result, creates more emissions. Have a look and see how many aircraft at any one time are flying high above us. And while were at it, check the emissions from Shipping Freight.

Yeah, motorsport stays "

It's not really the cars themselves that are the point, it's the transportation of the teams the cars and the infrastructure all round the world. So your little boring 737 fact if true, is kind of the actual point you're missing, and the reason people are arguing for it to be be banned, not the 20 car 1.5-2 hour race on a Sunday afternoon.

over a year ago

Wouldn't agree if your a person that enjoys motorsports. Many forms of it. World Rally Championship I love to follow, mostly from the comforts of an armchair in the living room. This whole extinction rebellion crap is just that, a load of crap. Take one look at the type of people protesting and that should tell you all you need to know "

What exactly do you mean "load of crap", in what way?

Are you arguing that human impacted climate change isn't real?

Are you saying we don't need to do more to protect our planet?

I may have missed something in your post but could you expand

over a year ago

You are all starting to miss the point. By the way, a Golf GTI is fun. The game of golf and football are exciting, thrilling sports that evoke great emotion and have evolved. Cars going round and round, then the podium, the bottle of bubbly (wasted) been done to death, the winner gets a trophy and some points for a bigger trophy at the end of the year. The drivers ponce around in their racing overalls thinking they are great warriors / sportsmen. Time to move on, it won’t be missed. "

It's a shame you are fixating on one exceedingly small part of motorsport, most participants have no interest in just that and what you have described is absolutely nothing at all like what I and several thousand people get up to, in various forms each weekend!!!

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Wouldn't agree if your a person that enjoys motorsports. Many forms of it. World Rally Championship I love to follow, mostly from the comforts of an armchair in the living room. This whole extinction rebellion crap is just that, a load of crap. Take one look at the type of people protesting and that should tell you all you need to know

"

Of course we should all do more to protect our environment. I’m not convinced that humans are creating climate change. We are making a filthy mess though - discarded plastic being one.

The science has changed as has the ways of measuring. They didn’t have satellites or digital data just a few decades back. If you question the validity of the argument then you get accused of being a moron.

over a year ago

Of course we should all do more to protect our environment. I’m not convinced that humans are creating climate change. We are making a filthy mess though - discarded plastic being one.

The science has changed as has the ways of measuring. They didn’t have satellites or digital data just a few decades back. If you question the validity of the argument then you get accused of being a moron. "

So you have honestly looked at the scientific research and you honestly don't think humans are impacting climate change?

Normally people who share you're view, haven't spent any time looking into it. You puzzle me as you seem to have looked into it but came to the same conclusion.

Have you seen the data which coincides with the industrial revolution?

over a year ago

As I said earlier ...

"I think instead of trying to control what other people do, make sure that your own life is a fantastic example to the rest of the world ... be the best you can be before trying to change others "

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

What fuel do electric cars run on

over a year ago

The downside of that though is that the cars, crews and drivers are transported around the world using jets and trucks and the electricity comes mostly from power stations burning coal and oil.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

The downside of that though is that the cars, crews and drivers are transported around the world using jets and trucks and the electricity comes mostly from power stations burning coal and oil.

"

It's a narrow mostly.

I'm sure I saw that we are nearing 50% provided by renewables in the UK.

By *ork fellaMan
over a year ago

Macroom

"

Its a load of crap as in these protests are futile. Il give the example of my own country here Ireland. We've all just been hit with a 6% carbon tax by our government. Our population is somewhere about 0.001 percent of World population. India and the USA make up about 32% of the world population give or take. Those people don't pay anything in carbon tax. Therefore my Government charging me 6% annually is just a load of bollocks. We are being scare mongered into more taxes. Climate change may very well be real but until all countries of the world come together and find a better way forward then fuck all is going to change. Protesting on top of a train or gluing yourself to the ground won't change a damn thing.

over a year ago

I seem to remember some survey done back in about 1973, the fuel crisis time, on the fuel used by all types of sports. I think the answer, in the UK at least, but probably true in many other countries, was that motor sport didn't use up much fuel compared to the other sports they surveyed, and the survey took into account the fuel used by the spectators and the competitors.

The highest fuel useage sport was apparently horse racing. Mainly probably because horse racing is happening several times a week, not just at weekends and because it has many more spectators

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

I find motorsport way more thrilling and they sportsmen and women . Motorcycle racers at the top for instance will be fitter than any footballer. Just because you dont enjoy it. Doesn't mean the hundreds of thousands of motorsport fans don't.

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

Formula E, life size scalectric , sounds the same and gets rather boring after 10 mins x

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"Formula E, life size scalectric , sounds the same and gets rather boring after 10 mins x "
a few of us marshals got the little controllers when we were watching formula e and made our own commentary

over a year ago

One of my clients is a senior engineer on an F1 team, We were recently chatting about how the current drive (pardon the pun) is for F1 to go electric. He seemed to think the technology isn't that far away from a race perspective. Of course, the electricity still has to be generated somehow..

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

One of my clients is a senior engineer on an F1 team, We were recently chatting about how the current drive (pardon the pun) is for F1 to go electric. He seemed to think the technology isn't that far away from a race perspective. Of course, the electricity still has to be generated somehow.."

My issue is half of my enjoyment of racing is the sound.. the smell.. it would be boring without proper cars

over a year ago

One of my clients is a senior engineer on an F1 team, We were recently chatting about how the current drive (pardon the pun) is for F1 to go electric. He seemed to think the technology isn't that far away from a race perspective. Of course, the electricity still has to be generated somehow..

My issue is half of my enjoyment of racing is the sound.. the smell.. it would be boring without proper cars"

I understand that. I'm the same over old piston engine aeroplanes. As has been said though, F1 is very much a development platform for future road cars, unless of course driverless cars take over..

over a year ago

Motorsport globally makes up a minute fraction of the world's C02 production.

NASCAR annually is .0000003% or 1 3 millionth of a percent of the total global production.

Total global motorsport series, around 1200.

Total annual production .0004%, very roughly.

Not saying it shouldn't be looked at but other areas should be looked at more intently.

China, India, Russia and USA make up over 50% of the world total, with China at 27%.

over a year ago

But they still need to charge the cars and most electricity is still produced from coal power stations!

We need some major funding worldwide to find a cleaner source of energy

I am a F1 fan and if banning motorsports was part of a global plan to radically stop CO2 emissions and climate change I would support the ban

LJ

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

Definitely ban it. Imagine people thinking driving a car is sport

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"Definitely ban it. Imagine people thinking driving a car is sport "

Why isn't it?

By *cplsMan
over a year ago

Nr Waltham

As someone who has raced all of my life, I wondered how long it would be before the tree huggers and hippies started.

Personally I would like to see some control on the amount of children born, that would reduce the growth of the population rapidly. Secondly massively reduce and control pets. The country spends millions on pet foods and products and 10s of millions on vets bills; yet we have children in poverty.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Football and golf are both utter fucking tedium to watch in my opinion- motorsport is generally exciting.

Neither football or golf have changed much in the last 100 years.

I can't recall ever hearing about rival motorsport fans getting arseholed, fighting, shouting racial abuse and generally causing mayhem.

your argument is pretty weak so lets ban the sport of dullards instead and free up the sports pages for something more interesting (and that the UK can win more than once a centuary )

over a year ago

"Just ban anything fun that will solve it "

over a year ago

"Definitely ban it. Imagine people thinking driving a car is sport "

I hope Herbie doesn't read this.

over a year ago

Why don't we all just sit in a field and not move or do anythint ever again.

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

"Why don't we all just sit in a field and not move or do anythint ever again."

Singing kumbaya?

By *unshine05Man
over a year ago

Sherborne

No XR can piss off

over a year ago

"Why don't we all just sit in a field and not move or do anythint ever again.

Singing kumbaya?"

Hell no, what a waste of oxygen. Think if the poor children 500 years from now

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

"Why don't we all just sit in a field and not move or do anythint ever again.

Singing kumbaya?

Hell no, what a waste of oxygen. Think if the poor children 500 years from now"

Ah, true, I'll just hold my breath then

over a year ago

"

i think we should ban things based on popularity the more popular it is then the eco system benefits it the most but having said that humans can't change evolution

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Yes, it already exists, it is called Formula E. Not seen it myself, but told that it can actually be quite thrilling because using Tesla type technology with a formula one type car body can produce a vehicle that does unbelievable things in almost complete silence...

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

What we should ban is premiere league and international football, and save the carbon footprint of hundreds of thousands of fans travelling hundreds and thousands of miles every week. I bet the average Man United away match wastes going on for a million man-miles of travel?

By *ilkymasseurMan
over a year ago

London

some matures here can't put "necessity" and "binge" in different boxes

over a year ago

"Having looked into the effect of motorsport based emissions around 10 years ago...

Yeah, motorsport stays

It's not really the cars themselves that are the point, it's the transportation of the teams the cars and the infrastructure all round the world. So your little boring 737 fact if true, is kind of the actual point you're missing, and the reason people are arguing for it to be be banned, not the 20 car 1.5-2 hour race on a Sunday afternoon.

"

There are MANY different forms of Motorsport around the world. Ban F1 if you want to. It's boring. But don't forget that many of the safety features that you and I enjoy in a day to day drive to the shops were discovered, developed and created thanks to the likes of F1.

And also, the majority of club motorsport events take place fairly locally and don't create a fraction of the emissions either competitive or transportation wise as large circus based World championships. So yes, you can take your boring little reply and shove it to

over a year ago

The world economists should all just give up and listen to some naked bloke from Leeds on a swingers site with a picture of their nob out

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

Ban golf !! Nothing to do with the environment, just cus it messes up a nice walk !!!! Xxx

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

Working for one of the words largest engine manufacturer’s, we have a global mission to evolve our products and strictly regulate emission levels according to specific “COUNTRY” requirements.

Motorsports in general make up only 0.2% of real time emissions released into the atmosphere annually.

Compare that to Nigeria West Africa where the emission level is 6.3% DAILY! (This includes burnable waste also).

Believe it or not the UK and Europe have got strict guidelines in place to reduce emission levels which if you work in the road haulage industry you will know what I mean.

I fully understand the concern we face with regards to global warming however as a country that only represents a tiny percentage of the global emissions released and seeing what is going on further afield, banning motorsports is the least of our worries.

By *oredcouple1TV/TS
over a year ago

kirkcaldy

What happened to the ice age, it melted due to global warming, not many cars then

over a year ago

"What happened to the ice age, it melted due to global warming, not many cars then"

It's actually a natural cycle but what's happening this time is the speed which is human driven that the world cannot cope with.

By *aucy tiggerWoman
over a year ago

Back where I belong

A life size scalextrix? Ooo what fun

Do I sense sarcasm?

"

Certainly not - but how big are the controllers?

over a year ago

My issue is half of my enjoyment of racing is the sound.. the smell.. it would be boring without proper cars

I understand that. I'm the same over old piston engine aeroplanes. As has been said though, F1 is very much a development platform for future road cars, unless of course driverless cars take over.."

Formula one arguably had a rudimentary driverless car as early as 1993. The Williams F1 car reputedly had such a sophisticated active suspension that it was capable of driving a lap of Silverstone without a driver.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

Yes, it already exists, it is called Formula E. Not seen it myself, but told that it can actually be quite thrilling because using Tesla type technology with a formula one type car body can produce a vehicle that does unbelievable things in almost complete silence..."

its about as thrilling as watching paint dry

By *exi_LexiTV/TS
over a year ago

wales

I'm trying to work out how golf and football as moved on, yeah football as moved on from using a pigs bladder to a leather ball and wages as gone way to high, as for golf omg wot a fucking boring game to watch

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

Given that we face imminent extinction then it matters not a not.. I will just fire up my V8.. put Bruce on Max.. and drive all night...

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Given that we face imminent extinction then it matters not a not.. I will just fire up my V8.. put Bruce on Max.. and drive all night...

"

Not met many people who like to drive to the greatest hits of Bruce Forsythe- yer dirty bugger

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

and still polluting the planet. Where do you think electric comes from. polluting Power stations. Der

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Working for one of the words largest engine manufacturer’s, we have a global mission to evolve our products and strictly regulate emission levels according to specific “COUNTRY” requirements.

Motorsports in general make up only 0.2% of real time emissions released into the atmosphere annually.

Compare that to Nigeria West Africa where the emission level is 6.3% DAILY! (This includes burnable waste also).

Believe it or not the UK and Europe have got strict guidelines in place to reduce emission levels which if you work in the road haulage industry you will know what I mean.

I fully understand the concern we face with regards to global warming however as a country that only represents a tiny percentage of the global emissions released and seeing what is going on further afield, banning motorsports is the least of our worries.

"

The most sensible response yet on this thread

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

Not met many people who like to drive to the greatest hits of Bruce Forsythe- yer dirty bugger "

Hahaha spat out my tea reading that...

Post new Message to Thread