Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ever fallen in love....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

....with someone you haven't met yet?

Messaging, talking on the phone, exchanging photos, deep, emotional chats....

Can it happen?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hickennchipsWoman
over a year ago

up above the streets and houses

Nope

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

not for me no

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

sounds more like lust to me

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I havnt but believe it could happen

over a year ago

"....with someone you haven't met yet?

Can it happen?

"

Yes it can happen. They're still together 10 years on.

over a year ago

Of course....

By *uzukiNo1Woman
over a year ago

Rhyl

Loads of times.....in the mirror

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

Never mind the Buzzcocks

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I’d say not love, but a connection yes.

You never truly know someone until you meet and spend time with them

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I don't think "love" is the right word OP but I *do* think it's possible to find a deep connection and even level of affection for someone you've not met but have opened up to. I know there are people on here who I've never met who I consider to be as good a friend as some in my real life for example.

I also think sometimes it's possible to get caught up in the excitement of finding someone likeminded and on your wavelength, that initial flurry of messages back and forth etc, and mistake it for something more than it actually is - so it's always best to have your guard up to it to an extent at least until you've met and cemented those feelings in something more tangible.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Yes, we spent many hours phoning and talking while we were living on different continents and declared our love for each other. Then we met once (about seven months after discoveringeeach other). Before we met for a second time we decided we wanted to live together before.

Now we live together!

By *etite HandfulWoman
over a year ago

Chester

No and I don't think I will surely you have to meet someone in person the real person no their projected persona.

over a year ago

"I don't think "love" is the right word OP but I *do* think it's possible to find a deep connection and even level of affection for someone you've not met but have opened up to. I know there are people on here who I've never met who I consider to be as good a friend as some in my real life for example.

I also think sometimes it's possible to get caught up in the excitement of finding someone likeminded and on your wavelength, that initial flurry of messages back and forth etc, and mistake it for something more than it actually is - so it's always best to have your guard up to it to an extent at least until you've met and cemented those feelings in something more tangible."

My problem is I wear my heart on my sleeve....

over a year ago

"Yes, we spent many hours phoning and talking while we were living on different continents and declared our love for each other. Then we met once (about seven months after discoveringeeach other). Before we met for a second time we decided we wanted to live together before.

Now we live together! "

Love this!!

over a year ago

"I’d say not love, but a connection yes.

You never truly know someone until you meet and spend time with them "

I do agree with you that you don't know someone until you've met them...xx

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

Not that I can remember

over a year ago

"I don't think "love" is the right word OP but I *do* think it's possible to find a deep connection and even level of affection for someone you've not met but have opened up to. I know there are people on here who I've never met who I consider to be as good a friend as some in my real life for example.

I also think sometimes it's possible to get caught up in the excitement of finding someone likeminded and on your wavelength, that initial flurry of messages back and forth etc, and mistake it for something more than it actually is - so it's always best to have your guard up to it to an extent at least until you've met and cemented those feelings in something more tangible."

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I haven’t OP but I do feel that you can be up a close relationship with someone online. I wouldn’t call it love though.

over a year ago

I’ve had an online infatuation that increased when we met. But it was just an infatuation

over a year ago

Hell.

No.

By *uzukiNo1Woman
over a year ago

Rhyl

"Hell.

No."

Liar

over a year ago

"Hell.

No.

Liar "

Oh sorry, besides you Marple

By *uzukiNo1Woman
over a year ago

Rhyl

"Hell.

No.

Liar

Oh sorry, besides you Marple "

oh shucks

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"I’ve had an online infatuation that increased when we met. But it was just an infatuation "
i remember that

over a year ago

"I’ve had an online infatuation that increased when we met. But it was just an infatuation i remember that"
indeed. Not my finest moment

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

You can fall in love with the idea of someone but it’s just words until you meet and get to know each other in person..

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"You can fall in love with the idea of someone but it’s just words until you meet and get to know each other in person.. "

Agreed.

And sometimes there is a huge chasm between the fantasy and the reality

over a year ago

No. Never. Not since a good friend had been chatting with a guy in Texas. She flew over to meet him, and within 15 minutes realised she had zero attraction to him. I prefer real to online.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Nope.

over a year ago

Can it happen?

"

Yes absolutely. Mr Cagey and I fell in love that way an ocean apart twenty years ago

If you’re both honest and open and read each other well it’s totally possible. It was back in the day when you had to scan photos in. After a year we met both having seen just a handful of photos when I flew to England to see if it was real. You can always message us if you want to chat about it more - Mrs

over a year ago

Can it happen?

Yes absolutely. Mr Cagey and I fell in love that way an ocean apart twenty years ago

If you’re both honest and open and read each other well it’s totally possible. It was back in the day when you had to scan photos in. After a year we met both having seen just a handful of photos when I flew to England to see if it was real. You can always message us if you want to chat about it more - Mrs "

Aww that's lovely...certainly gives me hope...xxx

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/10/19 11:17:42]

over a year ago

Yes! I met my partner online and we have been together for 10 years. If you think you've caught the love bug now, just wait until you meet!

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Falling In love again.

over a year ago

Kinda. I met Ash on here and I knew we would end up together before we had even met. It wasn't exactly love but I knew it would be and I'm happy to say I was right.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"Kinda. I met Ash on here and I knew we would end up together before we had even met. It wasn't exactly love but I knew it would be and I'm happy to say I was right. "

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I can fancy someone but fall in love with someone I've never met? Not going to happen.

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

Lust maybe, not love no

Miss

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

"Kinda. I met Ash on here and I knew we would end up together before we had even met. It wasn't exactly love but I knew it would be and I'm happy to say I was right. "

You 2 are so cute

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

Just be careful. Could be in for being cat fished

over a year ago

No I don't see how that can be anything more than lust. You can have a great connection etc but it's not love

over a year ago

Can it happen?

If you’re both honest and open and read each other well it’s totally possible. It was back in the day when you had to scan photos in. After a year we met both having seen just a handful of photos when I flew to England to see if it was real. You can always message us if you want to chat about it more - Mrs "

By *opite_xWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Aaaall the time, and then I meet them and because they’re not the fantasy Prince Charming I’ve built up in my head I’m immediately not interested... poor blokes

over a year ago

I lusted.. maybe I was infatuated but i dont think it is love. Chemistry and feeling of deeper understanding combined can feel like one though.

over a year ago

"You can fall in love with the idea of someone but it’s just words until you meet and get to know each other in person.. "

That's precisely it. The idea of someone!

over a year ago

Thanks all for your replies...very, very mixed too. Personally I don't see why it can't happen, but then I fall in love very easily....but I also agree that you never really know someone until you've spent physical time with them xxxx

over a year ago

"Thanks all for your replies...very, very mixed too. Personally I don't see why it can't happen, but then I fall in love very easily....but I also agree that you never really know someone until you've spent physical time with them xxxx "

We knew each other. It was so weird to actually be together. We only had a few photos and no video before we met. But we were just so meant to be and that’s not changed. Many years ago people began their love affairs with just post cards and photos and letters. There can be a depth there that isn’t always there with being together in person. You’ve only got conversation.

over a year ago

Yes I completely agree. A male friend told me years ago that online it’s quite literally words on a screen, some people will write anything to get what they want. I’m too trusting but am more cautious now.

over a year ago

Not sure exactly, but I fell in love with my mr before we even had a date or kissed.

We knew each other a bit, just more like friends but not good friends, then we started chatting one weekend. We couldn’t meet up for a date for a couple of weeks but we were messaging all the time.

We both knew it was meant to be and it is. We both have never been happier

One thing neither of us thought was that we would both have as high a sex drives as we do that is the cherry on top of a bloody good relationship

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

I (her) agree with this response but that doesn't mean that I totally disagree that love cant be found before meeting in person.

over a year ago

"You can fall in love with the idea of someone but it’s just words until you meet and get to know each other in person..

Yes I completely agree. A male friend told me years ago that online it’s quite literally words on a screen, some people will write anything to get what they want. I’m too trusting but am more cautious now. "

Oh for sure...I've been led up the garden path several times (I think this ties in with the gut instinct thread...) but if you don't ever take a chance then what's the point...? xxx

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/10/19 13:46:44]

over a year ago

"Thanks all for your replies...very, very mixed too. Personally I don't see why it can't happen, but then I fall in love very easily....but I also agree that you never really know someone until you've spent physical time with them xxxx

We knew each other. It was so weird to actually be together. We only had a few photos and no video before we met. But we were just so meant to be and that’s not changed. Many years ago people began their love affairs with just post cards and photos and letters. There can be a depth there that isn’t always there with being together in person. You’ve only got conversation. "

I think it can be easier to chat via letters/ text. You talk about things you may not have discussed until later into the relationship. You need to keep communication going when you're not physically together... rather than sitting around watching tv in silence.

over a year ago

Yes absolutely

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

I also think sometimes it's possible to get caught up in the excitement of finding someone likeminded and on your wavelength, that initial flurry of messages back and forth etc, and mistake it for something more than it actually is - so it's always best to have your guard up to it to an extent at least until you've met and cemented those feelings in something more tangible.

My problem is I wear my heart on my sleeve.... "

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's reciprocated and things remain that way - but on-line can also be a very fickle and transient place sometimes, especially sites like this - hence my second paragraph

over a year ago

I have heard of a couple who did this and they got married she was called Stacy and he was called Gavin they spoke everyday on the phone at work then there best friends smithy and nessa got together and had a kid .

over a year ago

I fell in love with my ex wife long before we spoke. But I didn't meet her online... Does seeing someone's deportment and body language make this a different prospect? I wonder...

over a year ago

Yes until I saw how she cuts her toenails

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I had yes. Stupidly in love, when I did meet them my feelings neither changed for better or worse. Just as strong as they have been before meeting them. To this day I still love them but in a different way.

over a year ago

Nope. I'd like to find love but I'm certainly not looking for it here.

Tbh, I'm no longer looking for anything on fab - but if I were, I'm too world-weary and cynical, to believe an online conversation could turn into love (especially if you've never met).

By *lubberMan
over a year ago

Rothwell

Can it happen?

"

Nope, shouldn't have, yes a couple of times.

Fallen in lust with a few though, then fallen in Love after meeting and now married to.

over a year ago

No.

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

I once fell deeply in like with someone that I hadn’t met. I guess it would be possible to fall in love but whether it would be real is debatable.

By *orthantsblueeyesMan
over a year ago

Northampton

Agreed, well said GM

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Can it happen?

"

I'll admit it's possible, but I compartmentalise very well.

over a year ago

Can it happen?

I'll admit it's possible, but I compartmentalise very well."

No. You can fall in love with whatever they tell you they are.

I can't believe people are naive enough to believe everything they read especially from someone they really don't know!

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Can it happen?

I can't believe people are naive enough to believe everything they read especially from someone they really don't know! "

I'll admit it's possible for some, wpuldn't be for me. It could all be a carefully crafted illusion. I wouldn't know any better until i'd have actually met the person. Even then, it would have to be some person to awaken those feelings in me.

over a year ago

Yes it can happen and it did with me and my late partner i met him online we chatted then met six months later I knew I was falling for him and when we met face to face well i really had met the man of my dreams and we had 7 amazing years together

over a year ago

Can it happen?

I can't believe people are naive enough to believe everything they read especially from someone they really don't know! "

Is that any different from finding out after 5 years or more of marriage they are not the person you thought they were? That's not that uncommon.

over a year ago

Can it happen?

Gotta agree

over a year ago

Can it happen?

I can't believe people are naive enough to believe everything they read especially from someone they really don't know!

Is that any different from finding out after 5 years or more of marriage they are not the person you thought they were? That's not that uncommon."

Yes completely. I could tell anyone anything online. It's much harder face to face... and to keep that up living with someone takes special talent. So yes. I can't believe people so readily believe anything they are told without meeting the person.

over a year ago

Can it happen?

Is that any different from finding out after 5 years or more of marriage they are not the person you thought they were? That's not that uncommon.

Yes completely. I could tell anyone anything online. It's much harder face to face... and to keep that up living with someone takes special talent. So yes. I can't believe people so readily believe anything they are told without meeting the person. "

Again I find myself agreeing with you!

over a year ago

It's been very very close. I kind of weaned myself off, but we still chat 5 or 6 years on, and still feel very close to her.

She's on here btw.

over a year ago

Agreed, well said GM "

I agree with this completely too. I look for that connection when talking to someone in messages etc but I’m scared of letting myself myself feel any more because it might not be real. I protect my heart these days. Probably too much

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Can it happen?

"

I certainly couldn't. Call me cynical, but words are just words - especially on here. Actions speak louder than words, and I need to spend time with someone in person. That said, love is not a word that I use lightly, so it takes someone very special to elicit it from my lips.

By *irlintheRedRed dressWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow

Maybe not Love but I certainly felt a connection to the person and they professed to feeling the same. Funnily enough the feelings didnt appear to last once we had met and fucked

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Can it happen?

Yes completely. I could tell anyone anything online. It's much harder face to face... and to keep that up living with someone takes special talent. So yes. I can't believe people so readily believe anything they are told without meeting the person. "

Yes anyone can say anything they like on-line and *could* be hiding the truth and that is why guardedness is needed - BUT if a strong enough connection is made and you spend hours messaging one another sharing all aspects of your lives, likes and dislikes, like any untruth it becomes harder to hide and you *can* get a flavour of the real person and *can* develop feelings.

Whether those feelings are actual "love" in the majority of cases I'm not so sure and as I said in my initial post I think it's easy to get carried away with the idea and read more into something than there actually is - in some instances it may be love, in others more infatuation, in others still a deep seated connection and affection and again that is why a level of guardedness is needed.

But as has been shown a couple of times on this thread "love" is possible and has panned out into a lasting relationship.

Sadly all too often it isn't actual love but fleeting infatuation or something else and we see that all too often with the "couples" that form and then spectacularly fall out on here.

over a year ago

Can it happen?

Yes completely. I could tell anyone anything online. It's much harder face to face... and to keep that up living with someone takes special talent. So yes. I can't believe people so readily believe anything they are told without meeting the person.

Yes anyone can say anything they like on-line and *could* be hiding the truth and that is why guardedness is needed - BUT if a strong enough connection is made and you spend hours messaging one another sharing all aspects of your lives, likes and dislikes, like any untruth it becomes harder to hide and you *can* get a flavour of the real person and *can* develop feelings.

Whether those feelings are actual "love" in the majority of cases I'm not so sure and as I said in my initial post I think it's easy to get carried away with the idea and read more into something than there actually is - in some instances it may be love, in others more infatuation, in others still a deep seated connection and affection and again that is why a level of guardedness is needed.

But as has been shown a couple of times on this thread "love" is possible and has panned out into a lasting relationship.

Sadly all too often it isn't actual love but fleeting infatuation or something else and we see that all too often with the "couples" that form and then spectacularly fall out on here."

Yes it *can* be the beginnings of love. But that can't ever be confirmed until you've actually spent time in their company.

By *lwayshorny79Woman
over a year ago

Leicester

over a year ago

Yes. It's how Stag and I met - fell in love online before we ever met in person. Fourteen years ago, married ten now. So yes, despite the naysayers, it bloody well can happen!!

over a year ago

"Yes. It's how Stag and I met - fell in love online before we ever met in person. Fourteen years ago, married ten now. So yes, despite the naysayers, it bloody well can happen!! "

I refer you to my comment above. Only the completely naive would believe it's love until you've actually met the person. You'd be a fool to believe anything else.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Yes. It's how Stag and I met - fell in love online before we ever met in person. Fourteen years ago, married ten now. So yes, despite the naysayers, it bloody well can happen!! "

Exactly.

I know exactly how I felt, I know exactly why I felt it, I also know my feeling were justified and there was no dishonesty playing a part in them.

I am far from a gullible person. I think things through quite extensively (some would even say too much), I'm not quick to trust (though I don't sit there assuming and expecting everyone is looking to be dishonest) and yet there I was in love with somebody I'd yet to meet at the time. Its not something that I fell in to, it developed over time getting stronger and deeper. I still love them, no longer romantically.

Just because it didn't happen to you, and/or you don't allow yourself to be open to the possibility does not make it any less possible, nor does it make everyone it happens to niave just because it did happen.

over a year ago

"Yes. It's how Stag and I met - fell in love online before we ever met in person. Fourteen years ago, married ten now. So yes, despite the naysayers, it bloody well can happen!!

I refer you to my comment above. Only the completely naive would believe it's love until you've actually met the person. You'd be a fool to believe anything else. "

Not interested in your comment above as you seem to take joy in slamming everyone's comments in every thread you're in. Thanks but no thanks Mum

over a year ago

"Yes. It's how Stag and I met - fell in love online before we ever met in person. Fourteen years ago, married ten now. So yes, despite the naysayers, it bloody well can happen!!

I refer you to my comment above. Only the completely naive would believe it's love until you've actually met the person. You'd be a fool to believe anything else.

Not interested in your comment above as you seem to take joy in slamming everyone's comments in every thread you're in. Thanks but no thanks Mum "

That's a shame that you think that. I'm not slamming anyone. Just thinking there are a lot of vulnerable people on here and most aren't as lucky as you. Sad that you have felt the need to make it personal.

over a year ago

Not interested in your comment above as you seem to take joy in slamming everyone's comments in every thread you're in. Thanks but no thanks Mum

That's a shame that you think that. I'm not slamming anyone. Just thinking there are a lot of vulnerable people on here and most aren't as lucky as you. Sad that you have felt the need to make it personal. "

Blame-shifting doesn't work on me. You indeed were slamming when you implied I was naive and a fool. Quit while you're ahead.

over a year ago

That's a shame that you think that. I'm not slamming anyone. Just thinking there are a lot of vulnerable people on here and most aren't as lucky as you. Sad that you have felt the need to make it personal.

Blame-shifting doesn't work on me. You indeed were slamming when you implied I was naive and a fool. Quit while you're ahead. "

Anyone going into something blind is being naive. It worked for you. Most aren't so lucky. I stand by what I said. It obviously hit a nerve otherwise you wouldn't have taken it so personally. I'll quit when I'm ready.

over a year ago

Blame-shifting doesn't work on me. You indeed were slamming when you implied I was naive and a fool. Quit while you're ahead.

Anyone going into something blind is being naive. It worked for you. Most aren't so lucky. I stand by what I said. It obviously hit a nerve otherwise you wouldn't have taken it so personally. I'll quit when I'm ready. "

Lol no it didn’t hit a nerve. You saying that I was « making it personal » when it was YOU that made it personal annoyed me. Reminded me of a person I used to know with Borderline Personality Disorder - and they’re utterly pointless people to discuss anything with, as their beliefs trump others’ experiences, and they constantly try to turn the tables.

So you’re right sweetie, you carry on until you’re good and ready to quit. In my experience of BDP people, that’ll be never, so I’ll leave you to it.

over a year ago

Exactly.

I know exactly how I felt, I know exactly why I felt it, I also know my feeling were justified and there was no dishonesty playing a part in them.

I am far from a gullible person. I think things through quite extensively (some would even say too much), I'm not quick to trust (though I don't sit there assuming and expecting everyone is looking to be dishonest) and yet there I was in love with somebody I'd yet to meet at the time. Its not something that I fell in to, it developed over time getting stronger and deeper. I still love them, no longer romantically.

Just because it didn't happen to you, and/or you don't allow yourself to be open to the possibility does not make it any less possible, nor does it make everyone it happens to niave just because it did happen. "

Exactly. Both Mr and I are quick to distrust, and back when we met online it was considered incredibly dangerous and crazy to do so. We talked until all hours on the phone, messaged all day long. We were sure we were in love but didn’t want to admit it really, it seemed impossible. But there I stood in the airport, I looked up and he was walking toward me and despite only seeing about 6 photos of each other, we knew we’d found each other In the crowd. He walked toward me and held me in a hug that felt like coming home. He held me for ages and I whispered “I love you”. We were fascinated to finally be together. Relieved it was real, infatuated and couldn’t believe how we fit together like two halves. His hugs still feel the same as the first one. People can say there’s no way but there is, it’s just that it doesn’t happen to everyone. I think now everyone flirts and dates online. We were friends, we flirted of course. But the chemistry even 3000 miles apart was not imagined or wishful thinking or it wouldn’t have worked beyond a shag or two. 20 years later he still does it for me. I still love him so much it hurts.

Sorry for the tangent on the reply. Maybe it’s rare for it to happen, but it isn’t impossible as anyone who knows us says we were meant to be and we felt that before we ever touched or even were on the same continent. - Mrs

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

Can it happen? Yes. Is it rare? Extremely so.

OP What you are describing sounds more like limerence.

That said you have prompted to me to watch 84 Charing Cross Road again.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Exactly.

Just because it didn't happen to you, and/or you don't allow yourself to be open to the possibility does not make it any less possible, nor does it make everyone it happens to niave just because it did happen.

Exactly. Both Mr and I are quick to distrust, and back when we met online it was considered incredibly dangerous and crazy to do so. We talked until all hours on the phone, messaged all day long. We were sure we were in love but didn’t want to admit it really, it seemed impossible. But there I stood in the airport, I looked up and he was walking toward me and despite only seeing about 6 photos of each other, we knew we’d found each other In the crowd. He walked toward me and held me in a hug that felt like coming home. He held me for ages and I whispered “I love you”. We were fascinated to finally be together. Relieved it was real, infatuated and couldn’t believe how we fit together like two halves. His hugs still feel the same as the first one. People can say there’s no way but there is, it’s just that it doesn’t happen to everyone. I think now everyone flirts and dates online. We were friends, we flirted of course. But the chemistry even 3000 miles apart was not imagined or wishful thinking or it wouldn’t have worked beyond a shag or two. 20 years later he still does it for me. I still love him so much it hurts.

Sorry for the tangent on the reply. Maybe it’s rare for it to happen, but it isn’t impossible as anyone who knows us says we were meant to be and we felt that before we ever touched or even were on the same continent. - Mrs "

All the evidence you need that it *can* happen right there

over a year ago

Yes that’s the way it happened for myself and Holly

We were on the phone for hours everyday until we met a month later but we both knew even before our first kiss that we had something special

LJ

over a year ago

"... I looked up and he was walking toward me and despite only seeing about 6 photos of each other, we knew we’d found each other In the crowd. He walked toward me and held me in a hug that felt like coming home. He held me for ages and I whispered “I love you”. We were fascinated to finally be together. Relieved it was real, infatuated and couldn’t believe how we fit together like two halves...."

Yep. That’s it right there. It’s mind-blowing isn’t it? It’s not common, but it happens. Fifteen years on and my heart still does loopty-loops when he walks in the door.

over a year ago

Oh simply loving the love stories...thank you all!!

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I think in old money it’s called infatuation. No love.

over a year ago

"I think in old money it’s called infatuation. No love. "

Which leads to the discussion "what is love"

(baby don't hurt me)

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"I think in old money it’s called infatuation. No love.

Which leads to the discussion "what is love"

(baby don't hurt me) "

All post eventually go haddaway

Post new Message to Thread