Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

speeding ticket - contest

Jump to newest

By *ueandbill OP   Couple
over a year ago

Leyland

Has anyone on here successfully contested a speeding ticket at the magistrates court

was caught doing 35 in a 30 zone, but genuinely moved out to pass a cyclist who looked unsteady and had to accelerate to avoid oncoming traffic

will the cyclist be on my pics and can I request a copy before going to court

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icefellatwoMan
over a year ago

hastings

unfortunatly your on a hiding to nothing they will say you should have slowed down

until safe to pass

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

"Has anyone on here successfully contested a speeding ticket at the magistrates court

was caught doing 35 in a 30 zone, but genuinely moved out to pass a cyclist who looked unsteady and had to accelerate to avoid oncoming traffic

will the cyclist be on my pics and can I request a copy before going to court"

Should you not have just slowed down rather than overtake? Just trying to think if the authorities will say that?

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"unfortunatly your on a hiding to nothing they will say you should have slowed down

until safe to pass"

This

By *zQTWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere

Surely you should have slowed down and waited patiently behind the cyclist instead of speeding up and over taking?

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"unfortunatly your on a hiding to nothing they will say you should have slowed down

until safe to pass"

this poor planning and road craft on your part

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

One, I doubt this is a good place to get this kind of advice.

Two, if you were speeding, you were speeding.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I appealed one, on a motorway & won.

Was stuck behind a car doing 60 in left lane, had indicator going for about a minute, waiting for a space in traffic.

Finally able to move over, checked mirror, did shoulder check, turned back to look at the road & the idiot slow driver pulled in front of me. There was no reason as nothing in front of him.

I had a split second to make my decision, slam my brakes on or accelerate & pull onto 3rd lane

I accerlated.

Right as passing a camera!

Luckily it was all caught on dash cam, including my profanic swearing!

By *good-being-badMan
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

Have they offered you the speed awareness course?

Personally I'm no solicitor your defence of 'had to' (as others have said) will be why didn't you slow down?

By *il FiskMan
over a year ago

sefton

See your speeding ticket and raise it with 2 bus lane fines in a week! Turns out I was swerving to miss a bus coming in other dire tion twice!! 60 quid from my wages. Bastards!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Did you shout 'get in the cycle lane you cunt' as you was speeding past him/her at the dizzy height of 35mph?

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"See your speeding ticket and raise it with 2 bus lane fines in a week! Turns out I was swerving to miss a bus coming in other dire tion twice!! 60 quid from my wages. Bastards!! "

How did they know? Caught on camera?

Was the bus too far over not shown as well?

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

I got done doing the very same thing, and to rub in pt1, it was on the way to working an extra shift with oodles of time to get there and pt2, the cyclist said bad luck as he passed as I waited for the copper to approach the car...

Did a speed awareness course, £90 and no points on the licence.

If in doubt, push the brake...

By *icefellatwoMan
over a year ago

hastings

the are not safety cameras they are revenue cameras

By *il FiskMan
over a year ago

sefton

"See your speeding ticket and raise it with 2 bus lane fines in a week! Turns out I was swerving to miss a bus coming in other dire tion twice!! 60 quid from my wages. Bastards!!

How did they know? Caught on camera?

Was the bus too far over not shown as well? "

On camera, but was sent to office, pay up within week or pay double!

Got to love Manchester!!

over a year ago

until safe to pass"

Completely agree.

The argument against you will be that you should have been more patient.

You also need to be very careful about how you intend to word your defence.

The way you have worded your 'mitigating circumstances' could actually put you in the position of admitting to careless driving or driving without due care and attention as essentially you will be admitting to overtaking a cyclist when it was not safe to do so.

You broke the speed limit and have been caught.

Take the penalty and learn from it.

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

"the are not safety cameras they are revenue cameras "

You can't get fined if you don't speed

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

until safe to pass

Completely agree.

The argument against you will be that you should have been more patient.

You also need to be very careful about how you intend to word your defence.

The way you have worded your 'mitigating circumstances' could actually put you in the position of admitting to careless driving or driving without due care and attention as essentially you will be admitting to overtaking a cyclist when it was not safe to do so.

You broke the speed limit and have been caught.

Take the penalty and learn from it."

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

Tell them to stop making excuses and take the fine.

Shit happens including speeding most do it so take the punishment when you are caught.

over a year ago

I'm doing a speed awareness course at the end of the month, hence I am leaving fab in disgrace because as we all know, no one on fab breaks the speed limit,in fact everybody is a pillar of the community or hamish as I like to call them

over a year ago

until safe to pass"

I got caught within half a mile of coming out of a speed awareness course.

over a year ago

until safe to pass

I got caught within half a mile of coming out of a speed awareness course. "

That's is the ultimate irony

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/10/19 14:03:29]

over a year ago

30 mph dual carriageway WTF

over a year ago

Yes though make sure you prepare for it take photos video and write down your points so you can present them. Speed traps are there for peopels safty you need to prove that your actions were to be more safe.

They will say you should have stopped behind the cyclist though till it was safe to overtake so have that in mind.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

As said, I think paying up is the only thing to do. If you can’t overtake without breaking the speed limit you shouldn’t do it.

It’s quite easy to argue your observation was poor as you misjudged the speed of oncoming traffic and also you didn’t see the massive yellow speed camera.

I’d take the speed fine rather than implicating yourself further

By *ananas57Couple
over a year ago

lake ariel

Long before speeding cameras I got out of a ticket

over a year ago

There's a slim chance you can win if you can convince them that you believed that braking would be more hazardous than accelerating. If there was a truck or coach behind you, for example. Larger vehicles have a longer stopping distance and could be a risk to you if you brake hard when they're too close behind you. I know somebody that did this and won, but it wasn't in the UK. It was also true, and the truck showed up on the camera travelling too close to his vehicle.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

If its your first points on your licence it wont make much difference to your insurance (if thats what you're worried about).

over a year ago

My son got a speed ticket a few days after getting his first car. He was on the motorway and followed the speed the sat nav said, but the overhead sign on motorway was showing a reduced speed. He did the speed course and learned not to rely on a sat nav.

If you have sped pay up and learn.

By *actilemale4uMan
over a year ago

London

Check all paperwork correct. I got off speeding fines twice on technicalities. First time showed wrong spelling of my address second time colour of my car incorrect. Good luck. Ucking cyclists

By *aughtyYorkGentMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"the are not safety cameras they are revenue cameras

You can't get fined if you don't speed"

You can't get an STI if you never have sex either - doesn't mean I want to be celibate all my life!

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS
over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

"Has anyone on here successfully contested a speeding ticket at the magistrates court

will the cyclist be on my pics and can I request a copy before going to court"

Don't take it to magistrates court unless you have legal advice. The consequences will be that you'll end up with a much larger fine plus costs - the fine is linked to your salary so depending on how much you earn this could be quite a big fine. Your mitigation in this example is unlikely to be successful as you could have just slowed down. Take the speed awareness course if it is offered and get no points.

over a year ago

"My son got a speed ticket a few days after getting his first car. He was on the motorway and followed the speed the sat nav said, but the overhead sign on motorway was showing a reduced speed. He did the speed course and learned not to rely on a sat nav.

If you have sped pay up and learn.

"

I'm sure they tell you on your driving test to obey the speed limits set by the road signs and the overhead gantry signs on a motorway not to listen to a sat nav which could be out of date and in need of an update

over a year ago

By the way I'm not trying to come across as whiter than white because I've been done for speeding twice

By *oney to the beeWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

If you get caught pay the fine and just don't be an arse wasting the courts time.

over a year ago

Dash cam s I think is the way to go all round

Just can’t beat video evidence

By *ch WellMan
over a year ago

Scotland

If folk didn't have this mentality that they must pass cyclists asap no matter what at any cost then this wouldn't happen. Theyve just as much right to be on the road as you so try showing a bit more patience and pass them when it is safe to do so without speeding in to oncoming traffic. Next time it.may not be just your bank balance taking a hit. Would you really want someone's injury or even death on your conscience?

Post new Message to Thread