Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Complement or insult

Jump to newest

By *anda and Cat OP   Couple
over a year ago

We were recently at a 21st party. Didn't know half the people there as it was the first time the 2 families had got together. Anyway by end of the night everyone was getting on great, when a guy comes up to me at the bar and says, "fucking hell mate, just seen who your wife is! Your punching well above your weight there pal". Now my reaction was, yeah, I know, I'm a lucky sod and took it as a complement, the wife however didn't when I told her the next day she said he was rude and insulting me.

How would everyone else have taken it?

For the record I have always thought I was punching well above my weight lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"We were recently at a 21st party. Didn't know half the people there as it was the first time the 2 families had got together. Anyway by end of the night everyone was getting on great, when a guy comes up to me at the bar and says, "fucking hell mate, just seen who your wife is! Your punching well above your weight there pal". Now my reaction was, yeah, I know, I'm a lucky sod and took it as a complement, the wife however didn't when I told her the next day she said he was rude and insulting me.

How would everyone else have taken it?

For the record I have always thought I was punching well above my weight lol"

well guys say stuff like that to guys, rolls off

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

It’s a compliment to you and your wife.

By *anda and Cat OP   Couple
over a year ago

"It’s a compliment to you and your wife. "

That's what I said

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'd have stuck the head on him cause i'm a mad psycho

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I think it’s a slap on the back you lucky sod type of thing whilst also having a sly dig at your expense.

But you have the last laugh cos she chose you, married you and snogs your face off regularly!

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Compliment to your wife but insulting to you but I would imagine he’s just having banter ??

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I think it was meant as a harmless compliment. It's easier than saying wow your mrs is nice

I think it's just a blokey expression

By *apiomanMan
over a year ago

Shipley

I see it as slightly jealous banter.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I'd assume at a party, the booze had been flowing..

I'd take it as a bit of d*unken banter & a compliment

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

I don't take any notice but I know it annoys Flik as she sees it as an insult to me.

By *rAngleseyMan
over a year ago

Anglesey

I think commenting like that about someones relationship is a little disrespectful.

By *aomilatteCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

Massive compliment. Punching here too

By *arry2525Man
over a year ago

lightwater

I think it’s a wanky comment and if you’d never met the guy previously he’s stepping over the line.

Should have put one on him OP.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

As others have said, probably not an insult, more a socially ‘acceptable’ way of saying ‘I fancy your wife’.

You shouldn’t think of yourself as punching above your weight, your wife clearly doesn’t think so and it’s her opinion that counts - that’s something to revel in and enjoy, not doubt and feel insecure about.

By *estofbothCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Its one of those socially acceptable throw away comments unfortunately. Meant as a compliment but from a stranger it’s insulting because of the little drag down associated with it. Unfortunately male ego and society in general struggles to be able to compliment without a clause.

Husband always says “you’re a lucky man” to a guy if the situation warrants it, respectful, simple and not creepy.

At the same time “your misses has great tits” is probably more of an insult than the out of your league one most of the time.

Post new Message to Thread