Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Diplomatic immunity

Jump to newest

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man
over a year ago

salisbury

Isn't it fucking ridiculous?! I appreciate they've now said she's not got it. But isn't it ridiculous ? Theses people who have can do what they like. Kill our police officers for example. And nothing happens.... no justice..

Just following a UAE convoy down the M3, I'm not driving btw! Noticing the drivers on their phones, but of course it's fine for them!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

It’s utterly ridonculous. Agreed.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I sort of get why it was introduced but it’s relevance has changed and it is extended to people who simply shouldn’t have it.

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

This is a tragic story but I can help but think of lethal weapon when I see "diplomatic immunity" in the news

https://youtu.be/kwC_IaY3BmY

Glad to hear, hers got revoked

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

"This is a tragic story but I can help but think of lethal weapon when I see "diplomatic immunity" in the news

https://youtu.be/kwC_IaY3BmY

Glad to hear, hers got revoked "

Yeh... that man with the south African accent... I would still have shot his head off! Told him it's been revoked!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Isn't it fucking ridiculous?! I appreciate they've now said she's not got it. But isn't it ridiculous ? Theses people who have can do what they like. Kill our police officers for example. And nothing happens.... no justice..

Just following a UAE convoy down the M3, I'm not driving btw! Noticing the drivers on their phones, but of course it's fine for them! "

Are you sure the lead vehicles are not left hand drive ?

over a year ago

Can't agree more with any post so far.

over a year ago

"I sort of get why it was introduced but it’s relevance has changed and it is extended to people who simply shouldn’t have it. "

Why was it introduced? I can't think of any decent reason.

By *atcherwankerMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I sort of get why it was introduced but it’s relevance has changed and it is extended to people who simply shouldn’t have it.

Why was it introduced? I can't think of any decent reason. "

Presumably to protect diplomats from illegitimate arrest and being used as political pawns in hostile negotiations?

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Genuinely lost as to how anybody can be above the law. Seems very outdated and ridiculous to me.

By *etite HandfulWoman
over a year ago

Chester

"Genuinely lost as to how anybody can be above the law. Seems very outdated and ridiculous to me. "

There are reasons for it but the potted version is so a police force/government body can't have foreign nationals arrested on trumped up charges for convenience as happened before it.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

When something affects "us" we want things changed. If it were my child...I can't begin to imagine their anger and pain.

But atrocities committed by those with diplomatic immunity is nothing new unfortunately.

over a year ago

"I sort of get why it was introduced but it’s relevance has changed and it is extended to people who simply shouldn’t have it.

Presumably to protect diplomats from illegitimate arrest and being used as political pawns in hostile negotiations? "

Ok that makes sense.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Why was it introduced? I can't think of any decent reason. "

I believe it was introduced in the early sixties when diplomats were being arrested and imprisoned on trumped up charges and used basically as political pawns by unscrupulous governments. If they were given amnesty then their value as a prisoner disappeared and so the practice stopped. But as I said in my original post times have changed. Perhaps it’s time to revisit the situation. Also remember that in this particular case we are on the shitty end of the stick but it is reciprocal and many of our diplomatic staff have doubtless used it to their advantage, legitimately or otherwise. Sometimes when you operate globally you end up having to swallow things that are distasteful.

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

I believe it was introduced in the early sixties when diplomats were being arrested and imprisoned on trumped up charges and used basically as political pawns by unscrupulous governments. If they were given amnesty then their value as a prisoner disappeared and so the practice stopped. But as I said in my original post times have changed. Perhaps it’s time to revisit the situation. Also remember that in this particular case we are on the shitty end of the stick but it is reciprocal and many of our diplomatic staff have doubtless used it to their advantage, legitimately or otherwise. Sometimes when you operate globally you end up having to swallow things that are distasteful. "

Vienna convention 1961 ... although forms if it have been around for centuries

over a year ago

Diplomats are bridge between two nations, and keep the communication channel open, if there is any hostility, they call back diplomats, it is important tool in diplomacy and diplomat has to have impunity so they work fearlessly.

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

But not all people with diplomatic immunity are diplomats,examples like police officers and not all government officials, councillors, party leaders and aids don’t require it.. . until a few years ago law enforcement officers of all ranks had it , I would be calling them for diplomacy between nations..

over a year ago

The privilege is abused across the world. I know a guy who worked for a clandestine government agency and he was based in Moscow for a time. He knew of Russian diplomats who would take large quantities of a rare Caviar from Russia to London and sell it for thousands of pounds per ounce. They have a diplomatic bag which isn’t allowed to be searched and doesn’t go through an X-ray machine so they could have what they like in them.

Why the immunity extends to spouses and kids is beyond me. Just breeds corruption of you ask me.

over a year ago

"The privilege is abused across the world. I know a guy who worked for a clandestine government agency and he was based in Moscow for a time. He knew of Russian diplomats who would take large quantities of a rare Caviar from Russia to London and sell it for thousands of pounds per ounce. They have a diplomatic bag which isn’t allowed to be searched and doesn’t go through an X-ray machine so they could have what they like in them.

Why the immunity extends to spouses and kids is beyond me. Just breeds corruption of you ask me."

Such type of act is not restricted to diplomats, it happens across professional i.e. law enforcement agency, pilots, merchant Navy few to name... Miss uses of privileges is wide spread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man
over a year ago

salisbury

"Isn't it fucking ridiculous?! I appreciate they've now said she's not got it. But isn't it ridiculous ? Theses people who have can do what they like. Kill our police officers for example. And nothing happens.... no justice..

Just following a UAE convoy down the M3, I'm not driving btw! Noticing the drivers on their phones, but of course it's fine for them!

Are you sure the lead vehicles are not left hand drive ? "

Yes they were. But there was only one guy in the front..

over a year ago

Its just been revoked

Lethal weapon

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The UK could define which crimes are excluded, otherwise we'd have people coming from Russia or UAE to kill people, even in embassies and thinking they can get away with it.

The American motorist seems to have no moral compass.

over a year ago

Diplomatic Immunity is immunity from prosecution, not arrest.

over a year ago

"The UK could define which crimes are excluded, otherwise we'd have people coming from Russia or UAE to kill people, even in embassies and thinking they can get away with it.

The American motorist seems to have no moral compass. "

There have been no Russians here to kill people. They were just sightseeing at Salisbury cathedral.

Post new Message to Thread