A help or hinderance to the UK economy?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

dunno about the economy but they been a great help to the BNP

over a year ago

help...... as long as they work and pay tax lol..

the same as all the ex pat's are a help to all the other countries economies.

over a year ago

I have no problem with anyone comming over here as long as they contribute through working and paying taxes etc.

In order to take from the pot, you have to put something in.

Simples

over a year ago

"I have no problem with anyone comming over here as long as they contribute through working and paying taxes etc.

Simples "

alexander gettin everywhere today....hope he paying taxes?

over a year ago

oh yes......

And alot more than most too

over a year ago

"oh yes......

And alot more than most too "

good man...or should i say meerkat

over a year ago

help simple as that . this country is built on immgrants wether they are from the eu or not . im a descendant of a pole who went to war for his country ( the uk ) and as such if their intentions are true i.e they only want to work then i dont see what the problem is works both ways in the eu nothing stopping us from going to work in romania or france .

over a year ago

My grandfather was Polish and came over during the war, he worked hard and paid his taxes and lived here till he died.....longer than he lived in Poland actually.

There are times when I know my grandfater would be ashamed of how some of his countrymen behave now, but there is good and bad in every country and its the people not where they come from that matter

over a year ago

Here here

By *rank_SimoneCouple
over a year ago

Bideford

This is always a very sensitive subject to talk about.

As far as we are concerned if they can supply a need and pay towards their keep, ie all taxes and NI then we feel they should be welcome.

They are not in the majority of cases taking away the jobs of the british, its more like taking the jobs the british don't want. The low paid ones where its not worth giving up their benefits to take.

This is what happened at the place I (J) work, we had to get Poles over to work as we couldn't get any one from the local community to fill the vacancies.

Its a crying shame but while we continue to make it more beneficial to stay at home than work for some, they will never look for a job.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Yes it is a sensitive subject, but I dont think it should be avoided because of it.

I personally am of the same opinion as yourself, but also interested in other peoples views.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"This is always a very sensitive subject to talk about.

As far as we are concerned if they can supply a need and pay towards their keep, ie all taxes and NI then we feel they should be welcome.

They are not in the majority of cases taking away the jobs of the british, its more like taking the jobs the british don't want. The low paid ones where its not worth giving up their benefits to take.

This is what happened at the place I (J) work, we had to get Poles over to work as we couldn't get any one from the local community to fill the vacancies.

Its a crying shame but while we continue to make it more beneficial to stay at home than work for some, they will never look for a job."

It's not just low paid jobs. Many areas of healthcare rely on other countries paying to train and qualify people for jobs this country can't fill.. Dentists, Doctors, Pharmacists…

The question with these type of jobs is… are we exploiting other EU countries by steeling their graduates after they have invested in their education?

I say steeling as it tends to be us going over there to recruit people for these jobs.

over a year ago

works both ways though , in the merchant navy its crammed to the rafters with russians , romainians , latvians , poles every othe rnatinality but biritsh , all on a british ship , but then again as you pointed out we do tend to take them here so id say its a good balance .

over a year ago

Actually going back to the OP’s original question re the economy… food is the one safe areas of growth, with places like Tesco raking it in. The food processing industry is largely operated by migrant workers in fact the majority of workers in this sector are from outside of the UK.

So they more than help.

over a year ago

".... contribute through working and paying taxes etc.

Simples "

It's a shame so many born here don't live by that.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"A help or hinderance to the UK economy?"

Without migrants taking the low paid jobs like hotel chambermaid, macdonalds etc londons economy would collapse

By *im53Man
over a year ago

Boldon

while there are lots of immigrants willing to take any low wage, bosses will never pay a proper rate for the job. so that its worth getting off the benifit system

over a year ago

"while there are lots of immigrants willing to take any low wage, bosses will never pay a proper rate for the job. so that its worth getting off the benifit system"

That is slightly incorrect or just an excuse for people not to work.

It is quite a well known fact that immigrants will work harder than a lot of UK citizens and they will take any job they can.

By *im53Man
over a year ago

Boldon

"while there are lots of immigrants willing to take any low wage, bosses will never pay a proper rate for the job. so that its worth getting off the benifit system

That is slightly incorrect or just an excuse for people not to work.

It is quite a well known fact that immigrants will work harder than a lot of UK citizens and they will take any job they can."

how can it be slightly incorrect

this is a fact here in the north east i have friends who have been told to take a pay cut or loose there jobs. as the boss can replace them with much cheaper workers.

usualy get this sort of rubish from people who`s jobs are not under threat

over a year ago

too many in scrounger britain have decided that their lifestyle choice is to sit on the dole....get on the sick....get social housing...pay no rent...full council tax rebate.....reinforce to themselves that it aint worth my while getting a job.....i would remove this choice....the social should only be there for emergencies not for a fecking career!!! oh and they always manage a few weeks abroad in the summer......maybe by being self sufficient since i left school in 1988 that perhaps i have got it wrong!!! No wonder people from the EU and beyond want to come to britain cos they havent got much workforce competition at the lower end. I sympathise with oldgits scenario and unfortunately due to the current economic climate unscrupulous bosses will undercut......as i always say getting a percentage of something is better than nothing. most of us are all caught up in this rat race!!!

over a year ago

"too many in scrounger britain have decided that their lifestyle choice is to sit on the dole....get on the sick....get social housing...pay no rent...full council tax rebate.....reinforce to themselves that it aint worth my while getting a job.....i would remove this choice....the social should only be there for emergencies not for a fecking career!!! oh and they always manage a few weeks abroad in the summer......maybe by being self sufficient since i left school in 1988 that perhaps i have got it wrong!!! No wonder people from the EU and beyond want to come to britain cos they havent got much workforce competition at the lower end. I sympathise with oldgits scenario and unfortunately due to the current economic climate unscrupulous bosses will undercut......as i always say getting a percentage of something is better than nothing. most of us are all caught up in this rat race!!!"

This is it pretty much. Tons of people sat on their arse all day absorbing my taxes into their body in the form of drugs and alcohol followed by their nice plasma screen huge tv Their idea of work involves signing on the dotted line once every two weeks lol

over a year ago

"too many in scrounger britain have decided that their lifestyle choice is to sit on the dole....get on the sick....get social housing...pay no rent...full council tax rebate.....reinforce to themselves that it aint worth my while getting a job.....i would remove this choice....the social should only be there for emergencies not for a fecking career!!! oh and they always manage a few weeks abroad in the summer......maybe by being self sufficient since i left school in 1988 that perhaps i have got it wrong!!! No wonder people from the EU and beyond want to come to britain cos they havent got much workforce competition at the lower end. I sympathise with oldgits scenario and unfortunately due to the current economic climate unscrupulous bosses will undercut......as i always say getting a percentage of something is better than nothing. most of us are all caught up in this rat race!!!

This is it pretty much. Tons of people sat on their arse all day absorbing my taxes into their body in the form of drugs and alcohol followed by their nice plasma screen huge tv Their idea of work involves signing on the dotted line once every two weeks lol"

I know someone on the dole who is currently on holiday on Florida. Work that one out.

It used to be that the dole was a safeguard to stop people starving to death, has happened in the great recession. It's supposed to give you enough to live on, not provide you with luxuries. Unfortunately, TV's, mobile phones, Satelite TV,games consoles are now considered essential to your survival.

over a year ago

"too many in scrounger britain have decided that their lifestyle choice is to sit on the dole....get on the sick....get social housing...pay no rent...full council tax rebate.....reinforce to themselves that it aint worth my while getting a job.....i would remove this choice....the social should only be there for emergencies not for a fecking career!!! oh and they always manage a few weeks abroad in the summer......maybe by being self sufficient since i left school in 1988 that perhaps i have got it wrong!!! No wonder people from the EU and beyond want to come to britain cos they havent got much workforce competition at the lower end. I sympathise with oldgits scenario and unfortunately due to the current economic climate unscrupulous bosses will undercut......as i always say getting a percentage of something is better than nothing. most of us are all caught up in this rat race!!!

This is it pretty much. Tons of people sat on their arse all day absorbing my taxes into their body in the form of drugs and alcohol followed by their nice plasma screen huge tv Their idea of work involves signing on the dotted line once every two weeks lol

I know someone on the dole who is currently on holiday on Florida. Work that one out.

It used to be that the dole was a safeguard to stop people starving to death, has happened in the great recession. It's supposed to give you enough to live on, not provide you with luxuries. Unfortunately, TV's, mobile phones, Satelite TV,games consoles are now considered essential to your survival."

lol aye does my head in. I sometimes worry what will happen when the Gov finally decide to clamp down on it though. The leecher numbers must be so high now they could probably riot and bring the country to it's knees

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

if a migrant enters the uk ............works 16 hours a day for £3 per hour and at night sleeps in a telephone box , then yes they are a help

but has anyone considered the fact that as a taxpayer etc they are entitled to working tax credits , school for the children nhs benifits etc etc etc

the fact of the matter is that all of you out there that are earning 50k plus per year are not enough at the moment to keep the country afloat

what makes anybody think that some dork , be they born and bread , or from overseas , can be of any use to the fiscal health of a nation just because they are prepared to work for peanuts

the majority of income acrued from taxes come from the affluent, ie a person that runs a couple of big cars payes fines for parking etc etc vat on all the money they spend , and death dutys when they die , not from some twat picking leeks for 15 hours a day @ £3 per hour

you need to look at the big picture , look at an individual as you would a buissnes , ie incoming and outgoing

just like a window cleaner working out how many chamois leathers he uses per week verses the money coming in

so just because a person works for a low wage doesnt mean it all ends there , the debit side must also be considered

another thing to consider is that is it a good thing to exploit people in this way .........................

if i was of a mind i might get a person from the phillipines to be my house maid , give them a box room to live in make them work 60 hours a week and pay them ten quid a week , plus a bowl of rice per day

and then go on to say how wonderfull it was that the phillipino was doing wonders for my economy

people have lost the plot regarding migrants ..............100 years ago places like the usa and australia needed migrants to populate and have a fair share in the good and bad of it

but now we talk about them being ok to pick spuds in the snow all day , or serve us up a mc donalds happy meal , and how we can exploit them in some way

A help or hinderance to the UK economy?

yes that is the tittle to this forum thread...............................

we just seem to look at them in terms of money

how very very very sad

why dont we have a dutch auction , and before a migrant enters the uk see how low a pay they will work for

you might find a person from central china prepared to work for a penny a month

but beware

you might be out of work one day ,suffer some hard times , a crisis in your life ............................................... forget all that 40 hours a week brother , and minimum wage

oh no my friend , the going rate

2 pence a lifetime

over a year ago

Well said

over a year ago

"I have no problem with anyone comming over here as long as they contribute through working and paying taxes etc.

Simples "

Well said Peaches...

Post new Message to Thread