Hailsham

"Do they work? "

Depends on the people in the relationship

Works for some, not for others

Openness I think, more importantly than anything, requires absolute honesty

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I know a couple one have always had an open relationship and have just celebrated 25 yeas of marriage, so I'd say yes they can.

By *aysol OP   Couple
over a year ago

Swansea

Just trying to gague peoples experiences with them. I dont think it would work for us but Im more open minded than I used to be.

By *aysol OP   Couple
over a year ago

Swansea

"I know a couple one have always had an open relationship and have just celebrated 25 yeas of marriage, so I'd say yes they can. "

Thats awsome

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Wouldn't work for me but our dynamic wouldn't work for everyone.

By *ust_A_Tease_To_PleaseWoman
over a year ago

South Wales: Newport, Chepstow

There is a polyamorus movement at present. Plenty of info online and books such as More Than Two, or the Ethical Slut on how to do it ethically and successfully.

Even info on how to open up a current relationship.

But yes, they can and do work.

over a year ago

"Wouldn't work for me but our dynamic wouldn't work for everyone."

Exactly this.

All relationships are different and what works for us might be a no go for others.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Mine does

over a year ago

Mine deffo does

over a year ago

"Do they work? "

Firstly what do you consider an open relationship?

What do do you wish to get out of it?

Is it one or two sided?

Think need to be able to answer those questions first

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Mine deffo does "

Following

By *aysol OP   Couple
over a year ago

Swansea

"There is a polyamorus movement at present. Plenty of info online and books such as More Than Two, or the Ethical Slut on how to do it ethically and successfully.

But yes, they can and do work."

Im more interested in hearing from people who have experienced them in real life than someone trying to sell a book about it tbh. I know there's a movement about everything these days...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"There is a polyamorus movement at present. Plenty of info online and books such as More Than Two, or the Ethical Slut on how to do it ethically and successfully.

Im more interested in hearing from people who have experienced them in real life than someone trying to sell a book about it tbh. I know there's a movement about everything these days..."

Isn't there just!

over a year ago

Im more interested in hearing from people who have experienced them in real life than someone trying to sell a book about it tbh. I know there's a movement about everything these days..."

Polyamorous vs open relationship ...

I have been involved in polyamorous relationships but I would not refer to them as open relationships. To me an open relationship means you can sleep with who you want without your partners consent. Poly is fully consenting on all sides. But that is how I think and others may think about them differently.

What sort of relationship dynamic are you looking to explore?

By *izzy.Woman
over a year ago

Stoke area

Yes they can work. As with all relationships communication is the key. Lots of discussion right at the start about rules, hopes etc and on going communication.

over a year ago

At what point does and open relationship stop being a relationship?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Im more interested in hearing from people who have experienced them in real life than someone trying to sell a book about it tbh. I know there's a movement about everything these days...

I have been involved in polyamorous relationships but I would not refer to them as open relationships. To me an open relationship means you can sleep with who you want without your partners consent. Poly is fully consenting on all sides. But that is how I think and others may think about them differently.

What sort of relationship dynamic are you looking to explore? "

Sleeping with others without your partners consent is just cheating. An open relationship means they have consented to you having sex with others. I think there's a bit of an overlap with polyamory as i also have sex outside my relationship with my partner's knowledge but I'm also open to date others if and when the opportunity presents. Closed polyamory does exist too though.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"At what point does and open relationship stop being a relationship?

"

Erm, if you break up?

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"

When one of you dies or leaves

over a year ago

Erm, if you break up?"

isn't an open relationship just and extended breakup?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Erm, if you break up?

isn't an open relationship just and extended breakup?"

no

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Erm, if you break up?

isn't an open relationship just and extended breakup?"

Not to those who choose not to be monogamous. Live and let live I say. Xx

over a year ago

Sleeping with others without your partners consent is just cheating. An open relationship means they have consented to you having sex with others. I think there's a bit of an overlap with polyamory as i also have sex outside my relationship with my partner's knowledge but I'm also open to date others if and when the opportunity presents. Closed polyamory does exist too though. "

I have learnt a new phrase 'closed polyamory' thank you. So would you characterise 'open polyamory' as being able to sleep with who you wish (as your partner has given you blanket permission) where as 'closed polyamory' requires the explicit consent of all involved before a new person is introduced?

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Yes, open relationships can and do work.

Many would consider swinging to be an open relationship of sorts.

I suppose ours is open, in that I meet others alone.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Sleeping with others without your partners consent is just cheating. An open relationship means they have consented to you having sex with others. I think there's a bit of an overlap with polyamory as i also have sex outside my relationship with my partner's knowledge but I'm also open to date others if and when the opportunity presents. Closed polyamory does exist too though.

I have learnt a new phrase 'closed polyamory' thank you. So would you characterise 'open polyamory' as being able to sleep with who you wish (as your partner has given you blanket permission) where as 'closed polyamory' requires the explicit consent of all involved before a new person is introduced?

"

Kind of. But with closed Polyamory usually there are multiple partners involved but no intention of adding any more. For example a closed V, triad or quad. So in a way they are kind of "monogamous" to a set people. Though polyamory comes in many, many different varieties so people often have their own versions of open, closed or somewhere in between.

over a year ago

It depends on the definition. It will be different for different people.

The key is the same as a closed relationship, honesty, consent and communication.

The people who say it’s an extended breakup or not a relationship aren’t thinking of the possibility of something different than what works for them.

We don’t have an open relationship but it’s not exactly mainstream to do what we do and requires work and communication. It’s easy to see how variations of that could still work. I’m surprised ( but shouldn’t be) that in this community there’s closed mindedness to this possibly working for people.

By *aysol OP   Couple
over a year ago

Swansea

Come to think of it, I think we are entering an open relationship of sorts as I asked whether I can meet guys on my own and Im happy for her to meet women on her own. Not really ready for meets with opposite gender, but that might come on time..

The way I understand it is polyamory is where you have several romantic and open relationships is where you have one romantic relationship and but allow eachother to fuck others.

Then I guess like most of these kinds of terms they mean different things for different people, so it can get quite confusing...

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"It depends on the definition. It will be different for different people.

The key is the same as a closed relationship, honesty, consent and communication.

The people who say it’s an extended breakup or not a relationship aren’t thinking of the possibility of something different than what works for them.

We don’t have an open relationship but it’s not exactly mainstream to do what we do and requires work and communication. It’s easy to see how variations of that could still work. I’m surprised ( but shouldn’t be) that in this community there’s closed mindedness to this possibly working for people. "

Yes. Closed minded to ‘mock’ another’s relationship style. I wouldn’t go writing negatives about monogamy just because it’s not my ‘type of loving’

By *aysol OP   Couple
over a year ago

Swansea

"It depends on the definition. It will be different for different people.

We don’t have an open relationship but it’s not exactly mainstream to do what we do and requires work and communication. It’s easy to see how variations of that could still work. I’m surprised ( but shouldn’t be) that in this community there’s closed mindedness to this possibly working for people.

Yes. Closed minded to ‘mock’ another’s relationship style. I wouldn’t go writing negatives about monogamy just because it’s not my ‘type of loving’"

I know, but a lot of people came from that same mindset before they openef their minds to new things, so it doesnt surprise me that people think this way. Education is key.

over a year ago

Ours is open in that we can talk about anything..have no secrets at all and also both have the others consent to play away if we wish..we haven't talked yet..maybe won the ever..only sexually exploring if both are involved..the consent comes from both being bisexual, if we wish to we can..we can never cheat on each other..my gfs away at mo at music weekend..if she decides to play away then fine..works for us

over a year ago

They can with communication. I'm married me and my husband are in an open relationship. I have a boyfriend I have a totally different relationship with my boyfriend to what I have with my husband. My boyfriend and I are exclusive. It all gets a little confusing at times but I'm lucky to have the love of two wonderful men

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Yes I believe they work but even in an open relationship one person may be exploring avenues that the other person may not wish them to. As with most things communication is key.

over a year ago

Yes then can do I'm in one you need a lot of trust and there's no room for jealousy

Post new Message to Thread