Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Girona (vanilla trip)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Okay all, I'm looking to take a long weekend break within the next couple of weeks. Work has been quite stressful lately and I need some down time. I don't have any particular agenda and just plan to wander around, grabbing the occasional coffee or glass of wine at a street cafe.

Has anyone been to Girona? What was your experience? Any hidden gems the tourist websites don't tell you about?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's a lovely city. Frequently overshadowed by Barcelona, but plenty of fun in its own right.

I was surprised how reasonable it was to eat and drink on the whole. I had tapas and sangria a stones throw from the cathedral and expected to end up paying through the nose but was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't do a discoteca while there, but I would have liked to!

Also, if you get a craving for the beach it is not far by bus at all, about one hour, frequent service.... Begur is beautiful (but can be pricey) and the bay that stretches between Begur and L'Estartit (another fairly nice town but more aimed at families) is quite gorgeous. Wasn't even over crowded in July... Other very nice options are L'Escala, Llafranc and Calella De Palafrugell, so plenty of choice for a beach day...

over a year ago

"It's a lovely city. Frequently overshadowed by Barcelona, but plenty of fun in its own right.

I was surprised how reasonable it was to eat and drink on the whole. I had tapas and sangria a stones throw from the cathedral and expected to end up paying through the nose but was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't do a discoteca while there, but I would have liked to!

Also, if you get a craving for the beach it is not far by bus at all, about one hour, frequent service.... Begur is beautiful (but can be pricey) and the bay that stretches between Begur and L'Estartit (another fairly nice town but more aimed at families) is quite gorgeous. Wasn't even over crowded in July... Other very nice options are L'Escala, Llafranc and Calella De Palafrugell, so plenty of choice for a beach day... "

Thanks for the info!

I hadn't anticipated going to the coast but it sounds much closer than I expected so that is a great option.

over a year ago

Yes it's very doable if you want a beach day. Most towns have direct bus links to and from Girona... There is also a lot of street art in Girona if your thing. I know there is an annual event, but I didn't really catch that as such, I think each work stays for X amount of time etc.

Plenty of galleries and Devasa Park is also nice... City walls worth a walk round.

Nightlife wise, plenty to choose from in terms of wining and dining but I cannot vouch for the club scene etc... I believe there is one but I went to the coast for that - it also seems to be quite a Spanish/Catalan thing to go to the coast for that sort of thing too overall.

over a year ago

I'm probably going to be there for 5 days (4 nights) because that's just how the cheap flights work out. I thought I might run out of things to do but a trip to the coast would fill my time nicely.

over a year ago

That's a nice time frame to properly see the city and throw an excursion in.

Enjoy

Post new Message to Thread