Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Over 65s

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There was a report this week that stigma about sex over 65 is one of the reasons for the rise in STIs for pensioners.

Between 2014 and 2018 there was a 23% rise in STIs for over 65s. Syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea in particular. As this is recorded cases there could well be a greater increase with those who never get tested.

Discuss

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Well that's the last pensioner i will be having sex with lol x

over a year ago

I think most people don't bother getting tested. They think getting tested means they've definitely caught something.

The statistics are only based on people who do get tested. So the stats don't show the true picture.

over a year ago

"Well that's the last pensioner i will be having sex with lol x "

They'll just change their age on here.

over a year ago

Well I'm ok for another 3 years then

over a year ago

"I think most people don't bother getting tested. They think getting tested means they've definitely caught something.

The statistics are only based on people who do get tested. So the stats don't show the true picture. "

I suspect this age group tests less anyway. Especially as it can be difficult now that adult testing services are moving to DIY postal kits.

I knew about the rise in retirement care homes about 10 years ago, particularly syphilis.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"There was a report this week that stigma about sex over 65 is one of the reasons for the rise in STIs for pensioners.

Between 2014 and 2018 there was a 23% rise in STIs for over 65s. Syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea in particular. As this is recorded cases there could well be a greater increase with those who never get tested.

Discuss "

What do you think all those over 65s do in the care home all day, play cards and listen to the regular singer that comes once a week and sings White cliffs of Dover, their at it like rabbits, let them have their fun I say.

over a year ago

"There was a report this week that stigma about sex over 65 is one of the reasons for the rise in STIs for pensioners.

Discuss

What do you think all those over 65s do in the care home all day, play cards and listen to the regular singer that comes once a week and sings White cliffs of Dover, their at it like rabbits, let them have their fun I say."

I'm not denying fun. See above about care homes. It's the rise in cases and lack of testing.

over a year ago

I think it's education. Schools now push about safe sex and testing. Clinics go in schools and Gu clinics now many have amalgamated with contraception clinics are no longer embarrassing to go into. And people get tested prior to new relationships etc.

However the older generation still remember it as the clap clinic where only 'dirty' people go such as sex workers and people with symptoms.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I cant imagine many over 65 year olds in the vanilla world would even know how to get tested and probaly never heard of half the diseases. How are they raising awareness for them. Do they have some kind of campaign going

over a year ago

"I think it's education. Schools now push about safe sex and testing. Clinics go in schools and Gu clinics now many have amalgamated with contraception clinics are no longer embarrassing to go into. And people get tested prior to new relationships etc.

However the older generation still remember it as the clap clinic where only 'dirty' people go such as sex workers and people with symptoms.

"

That will be true for some but we're talking about some people being just 10 years older than me.

Part of it is definitely feeling there isn't a need for contraception as they don't fear an accidental pregnancy.

over a year ago

"I cant imagine many over 65 year olds in the vanilla world would even know how to get tested and probaly never heard of half the diseases. How are they raising awareness for them. Do they have some kind of campaign going"

I saw the report through something from Age UK but it didn't look like they were doing anything about a campaign. It's a missed opportunity. Although, maybe the 'campaign' was ensuring the story was in the Mail as a feature.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I doubt they have access to the information and probably aren't aware that they're at risk.

People of that age had a very poor education where sexual health is concerned.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I’d hope that having 20+ years of the internet and television might have educated them a tad.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I’d hope that having 20+ years of the internet and television might have educated them a tad. "

You'd be amazed. Many of our contemporaries have very little idea.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Also many of them have no clue about the net beyond Facebook

over a year ago

Good answer x people didn't get enough education about std years ago xx

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Good answer x people didn't get enough education about std years ago xx "

I got zero.

over a year ago

I know you probably did x but look at the way you have turned out x beautiful and self educated x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I know you probably did x but look at the way you have turned out x beautiful and self educated x "

Aww Jack

By *ral DMan
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I doubt they have access to the information and probably aren't aware that they're at risk.

People of that age had a very poor education where sexual health is concerned."

Just pop a leach under the tongue, let it dissolve then lick a piece of coal any STI is gone then. Everyone knows that.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I doubt they have access to the information and probably aren't aware that they're at risk.

People of that age had a very poor education where sexual health is concerned.

Just pop a leach under the tongue, let it dissolve then lick a piece of coal any STI is gone then. Everyone knows that. "

Damn I thought that was the smallpox cure. We've been dancing round a fire at midnight and covering ourselves in goose grease.

over a year ago

Lol

By *tudiousPipWoman
over a year ago

W Yorks

When I was a teacher a local GP asked the school to do an assembly on STIs as he was seeing a rise in them in a particularly active year group... Why not retirement homes?!

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

There was a comment on a USA Talk Show only this week, that in their country, Doctors who deal with STI's etc, say the highest level of reported STI occurrences are in Older Persons Homes or Retirement Community complexes, notably in Florida.

It's worse there than in all West Coast states combined!

Post new Message to Thread