Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The power of now...

Jump to newest

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Is probably my greatest grounding tool when things get too much.

The premise is that there is no such thing as future at this exact moment as we only have the present we are in. Similarly the past is a collection of 'nows' that have already passed.. by overthinking everything we lose the magic of this very moment.

I've just sat outside listening the the birds and laughing at my daft dogs chase their tails with a cracking cup of coffee in my hand and the intermittent sun on my face.. for 15 minutes this was just perfection

So much time is lost by thinking about things that really don't matter.

Do you stop and enjoy the now?

Try it, you might like it..

Hope your weekend is filled with lots of lovely moments x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Love that, well said

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Great post Op I find myself doing this very often and it helps to clear my head and appreciate the fact that this moment will never come again and should be experienced. Life is an amalgam of good and bad experiences and that's part of living. Certainly helps me to "chill out"

over a year ago

"Is probably my greatest grounding tool when things get too much.

The premise is that there is no such thing as future at this exact moment as we only have the present we are in. Similarly the past is a collection of 'nows' that have already passed.. by overthinking everything we lose the magic of this very moment.

I've just sat outside listening the the birds and laughing at my daft dogs chase their tails with a cracking cup of coffee in my hand and the intermittent sun on my face.. for 15 minutes this was just perfection

"

lol a moment of reflection

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"Love that, well said "

Works wonders for me

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I rarely think about the past and try not to think about the future. I live mostly in a bubble world

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I know that I should do this more, the frantic pace of life with multiple distractions can be exhausting at times.

Unplugging and clearing your head is a very positive thing.

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"Great post Op I find myself doing this very often and it helps to clear my head and appreciate the fact that this moment will never come again and should be experienced. Life is an amalgam of good and bad experiences and that's part of living. Certainly helps me to "chill out" "

100%. .a few conversations reminded me of this post from earlier in the year. Grabbing a few minutes to reflect and enjoy myself today x

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I remember a similar thread posted by a wise old woman last year, it's good to see this sort of thing again.

I try and practise mindfulness when I feel overwhelmed/am having an aspie overload. It helps to remind of how beautiful life really is and how blessed I am. I think too often we get swept away with the barrage of emotions and situations occuring and taking some time to stop and appreciate or reflect is really helpful.

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"I remember a similar thread posted by a wise old woman last year, it's good to see this sort of thing again.

I try and practise mindfulness when I feel overwhelmed/am having an aspie overload. It helps to remind of how beautiful life really is and how blessed I am. I think too often we get swept away with the barrage of emotions and situations occuring and taking some time to stop and appreciate or reflect is really helpful."

It’s easily done by us all.. taking a moment can be so helpful in the chaos that is life

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

"

Thank you.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

If i could say there was a positive thing about bipolar its that when im well i make and appreciate the basic things when im well. I will stop and smell flowers look at the sky watch the animals. I have like a heightened experience. All the things people see and dont notice because they see and do things every day they dont always appreciate it

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"I know that I should do this more, the frantic pace of life with multiple distractions can be exhausting at times.

Unplugging and clearing your head is a very positive thing. "

You should!! It’s a brilliant reset for when life gets a bit crazy

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"If i could say there was a positive thing about bipolar its that when im well i make and appreciate the basic things when im well. I will stop and smell flowers look at the sky watch the animals. I have like a heightened experience. All the things people see and dont notice because they see and do things every day they dont always appreciate it"

Very much so x I found this in the darkest days of depression and it’s been a tool I use daily to make sure I enjoy every moment x

over a year ago

Gonna take a moment right now to appreciate what i have and not worry about what i want.

Thank you x

By *wist my nipplesCouple
over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

"

Oh, I try! It's a powerful anchor. Easy to forget in the maelstrom of day to day life. Thanks fir the reminder

Mrs TMN x

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I often wander into the countryside to do just this when I need to reset and ground myself. I have a favourite tree that I like to sit under, and I listen to the sounds of nature. If i'm lucky there will be some birds or perhaps a squirrel to watch. I find it incredibly calming, but it also reminds me to appreciate all the small things in life.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Definitely. Mindfulness and living in the present moment has helped me all but overcome my anxiety. I'm not always great at it, but it at least keeps the worst of the demons at bay.

over a year ago

"

A devotee of Eckhart Tolle? I recommend anyone struggling with this concept should seek out his work. Great post OP.

over a year ago

I like to ground myself and just stop for a while in nature.

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

A devotee of Eckhart Tolle? I recommend anyone struggling with this concept should seek out his work. Great post OP. "

Totally. What a powerful book!! I recommend it to everyone I talk to

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Oh, I try! It's a powerful anchor. Easy to forget in the maelstrom of day to day life. Thanks fir the reminder

Mrs TMN x"

always good to have a little reminder x

over a year ago

A devotee of Eckhart Tolle? I recommend anyone struggling with this concept should seek out his work. Great post OP.

Totally. What a powerful book!! I recommend it to everyone I talk to "

If we can but find a moment's peace in our hectic lives i recommend his audio work. It's remarbly soothing and insightful and he's quite funny too.

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

There is only now - Bill Hicks

over a year ago

Great philosophy..I live for the moment and delete my past and just let future happen as it becomes present

over a year ago

I’ve always had an issue with the phrase ‘the best is yet to come’ I find it somehow implies that the now is somehow inferior. Why can’t the now be great too. If too much time is spent planning/worrying about the future we don’t leave enough time to enjoy what we have now.

I always liked this quote by Lao Tzu

“If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

By *affron40 OP   Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"I’ve always had an issue with the phrase ‘the best is yet to come’ I find it somehow implies that the now is somehow inferior. Why can’t the now be great too. If too much time is spent planning/worrying about the future we don’t leave enough time to enjoy what we have now.

“If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”"

It’s so true. We often spend so much time worrying about what’s not happened and going over things already done that we lose the little moments we live in which could bring us peace and a smile!

We all forget to breathe sometimes....

By *rAngleseyMan
over a year ago

Anglesey

"I’ve always had an issue with the phrase ‘the best is yet to come’ I find it somehow implies that the now is somehow inferior. Why can’t the now be great too. If too much time is spent planning/worrying about the future we don’t leave enough time to enjoy what we have now.

“If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”"

Sums it up well.

over a year ago

i live life for today and i attribute my happiness to it

over a year ago

I like that

over a year ago

There is no now as its always gone

over a year ago

Iv just started practicing mindfulness regularly again. It's a game changer!

over a year ago

Practicing mindfulness has helped me a lot in the past 6 months, it really is important to take even just a few minutes each day for yourself

Post new Message to Thread