Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Misuse of the highway code

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’m pretty sure this is nationwide, but there’s a growing trend of drivers taking higher risks when driving, jumping lights when they’ve just changed to red, undertaking, switching lanes without warning, pulling out into oncoming traffic, what’s the worst case of idiotic driving you’ve witnessed?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There's a junction near me and it amazes me how many motorists simply do not get what their damn indicators are for. They get so annoyed and upset if you start to cross, they pull out having not indicated, nearly now you down and you start shouting at them

I had some stupid bint the other week tell me she "didnt realise" but I don't see what realising has to do with it. Indicators. Goddamn use them. Too stupid to get it, get off the damn road before you kill someone

over a year ago

"There's a junction near me and it amazes me how many motorists simply do not get what their damn indicators are for. They get so annoyed and upset if you start to cross, they pull out having not indicated, nearly now you down and you start shouting at them

I had some stupid bint the other week tell me she "didnt realise" but I don't see what realising has to do with it. Indicators. Goddamn use them. Too stupid to get it, get off the damn road before you kill someone"

“stupid bint” haven’t heard that in years

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

I keep seeing people hogging the middle lane on the motorway/dual carriageway. When I'm towing the caravan I can't pass them (no towing vehicles allowed in lane three) undertaking is also prohibited. Pratts!

Also, older drivers always seem to signal right on approach to a roundabout only to go straight ahead.

All these drivers need a hard slap with a copy of the highway code.

over a year ago

"I keep seeing people hogging the middle lane on the motorway/dual carriageway. When I'm towing the caravan I can't pass them (no towing vehicles allowed in lane three) undertaking is also prohibited. Pratts!

Also, older drivers always seem to signal right on approach to a roundabout only to go straight ahead.

All these drivers need a hard slap with a copy of the highway code."

middle lane drivers are the worst, i was on the M6 a while back and the inside lane was empty as far as the eye could see but the middle lane was pretty busy

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

There are more cars than ever on the road so a decline in driving standards goes hand in hand with that. I drive 25,000 business miles a year and I see examples of poor driving every day.

Near where I live there’s a set of traffic lights at a junction. After the junction it goes from two lanes down to one and I really don’t understand why other drivers feel the need to gain a few yards by being in the outside lane immediately before switching lanes. The junction is only busy at peak times so I get why there are two lanes of traffic then. But when there’s hardly another car on the road why?

It usually the drivers of particular makes of car too.....

over a year ago

"There are more cars than ever on the road so a decline in driving standards goes hand in hand with that. I drive 25,000 business miles a year and I see examples of poor driving every day.

Near where I live there’s a set of traffic lights at a junction. After the junction it goes from two lanes down to one and I really don’t understand why other drivers feel the need to gain a few yards by being in the outside lane immediately before switching lanes. The junction is only busy at peak times so I get why there are two lanes of traffic then. But when there’s hardly another car on the road why?

It usually the drivers of particular makes of car too....."

Wouldn't be Audi drivers by any chance haha

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

"There are more cars than ever on the road so a decline in driving standards goes hand in hand with that. I drive 25,000 business miles a year and I see examples of poor driving every day.

Wouldn't be Audi drivers by any chance haha"

How did you guess?

over a year ago

How did you guess?"

Audi drivers have special privileges, the highway code doesn’t apply to them

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

How did you guess?

Audi drivers have special privileges, the highway code doesn’t apply to them "

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

One of the things that annoys me most is especially relevant in the heavy rains we've just had - drivers not turning their lights on.

Most modern cars nowadays have LED all-day running lights on at the front and I think people think they can be seen in all weather conditions with them on, but obviously don't know that their rear lights only turn on when you put your headlights on.

Last week I was driving along the motorway in torrential rain doing no more than 50mph when I almost rear-ended one of these clowns as he had no rear lights on. He was in a silver car and almost invisible, but when I got past, his front driving lights were blazing away merrily. Apart from him, 100s of others also had no lights on. Idiots.

Why manufacturers can't wire them so that the rear lights are on all the time beats me!

over a year ago

"One of the things that annoys me most is especially relevant in the heavy rains we've just had - drivers not turning their lights on.

Most modern cars nowadays have LED all-day running lights on at the front and I think people think they can be seen in all weather conditions with them on, but obviously don't know that their rear lights only turn on when you put your headlights on.

Last week I was driving along the motorway in torrential rain doing no more than 50mph when I almost rear-ended one of these clowns as he had no rear lights on. He was in a silver car and almost invisible, but when I got past, his front driving lights were blazing away merrily. Apart from him, 100s of others also had no lights on. Idiots.

Why manufacturers can't wire them so that the rear lights are on all the time beats me!"

i saw one driver exceeding the speed limit by about 30mph in the heavy rain last week, they must think they’re immortal

over a year ago

The need to speed and jump ahead of the traffuc by one or two cars. Is it worth speeding and pushing in just to gain a few metres? No.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"I keep seeing people hogging the middle lane on the motorway/dual carriageway. When I'm towing the caravan I can't pass them (no towing vehicles allowed in lane three) undertaking is also prohibited. Pratts!

It's not actually illegal to undertake.

The highway codes advises against it, but it is allowed and it's also classed as acceptable in certain situations

You will only be penelised if it's deemed reckless

By *Man1263Man
over a year ago

Stockport

If you read the highway code you would know your allowed to undertake.

I do it all the time in the truck. 55mph and sail past!

What your not allowed to do is undertake and then straight away move back into a lane thus completing an overtake.

But yes, if they are going slower than you, stick in the inside lane, go past and then after 30 seconds I think it is, overtake the truck

Remember, there is only one lane on a motorway, the others are just for overtaking

By *ge_load_ladMan
over a year ago

NW & Mids

"I’m pretty sure this is nationwide, but there’s a growing trend of drivers taking higher risks when driving, jumping lights when they’ve just changed to red, undertaking, switching lanes without warning, pulling out into oncoming traffic, WHATS THE WORST CASE OF IDIOTIC DRIVING YOU"VE WITNESSED?"

A driver who overtook on the wrong side of a single carriageway rd at approx 50mph (Approach speed approx 100mph and hit my car head on! Im extremely lucky to be alive!! Before this Id never broken a bone and left me having to be cut out of my car and 5 wks in hospital a number of broken bones and 2 years off work. He walked into A&E and walked out 3 hrs later

By *ewbieCouple87Couple
over a year ago

bradford

"I’m pretty sure this is nationwide, but there’s a growing trend of drivers taking higher risks when driving, jumping lights when they’ve just changed to red, undertaking, switching lanes without warning, pulling out into oncoming traffic, what’s the worst case of idiotic driving you’ve witnessed?"

Im drive for a living so i see most of this routinely .

Never ceases to amaze me peoples blatant disregard for self-preservation. I always hope that when natural selection takes its course no one else is hurt.

over a year ago

"I’m pretty sure this is nationwide, but there’s a growing trend of drivers taking higher risks when driving, jumping lights when they’ve just changed to red, undertaking, switching lanes without warning, pulling out into oncoming traffic, WHATS THE WORST CASE OF IDIOTIC DRIVING YOU"VE WITNESSED?

A driver who overtook on the wrong side of a single carriageway rd at approx 50mph (Approach speed approx 100mph and hit my car head on! Im extremely lucky to be alive!! Before this Id never broken a bone and left me having to be cut out of my car and 5 wks in hospital a number of broken bones and 2 years off work. He walked into A&E and walked out 3 hrs later "

Omg sounds horrendous. Hope you're ok now. Always seems to be the innocent party who always comes off the worst in these cases. Was the other driver charged by the police?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I once had someone go back on themselves on a roundabout in front of me when they missed their exit.

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

It's people not knowing what they're doing at roundabouts...

Wrong lanes, drifting across lanes and no indicators ...

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

As so many drivers refuse to use the inside lane, I think that the government show make all motorways into dual carriage ways and cut motorway maintenance costs by a third.

By *ge_load_ladMan
over a year ago

NW & Mids

"I’m pretty sure this is nationwide, but there’s a growing trend of drivers taking higher risks when driving, jumping lights when they’ve just changed to red, undertaking, switching lanes without warning, pulling out into oncoming traffic, WHATS THE WORST CASE OF IDIOTIC DRIVING YOU"VE WITNESSED?

A driver who overtook on the wrong side of a single carriageway rd at approx 50mph (Approach speed approx 100mph and hit my car head on! Im extremely lucky to be alive!! Before this Id never broken a bone and left me having to be cut out of my car and 5 wks in hospital a number of broken bones and 2 years off work. He walked into A&E and walked out 3 hrs later

Omg sounds horrendous. Hope you're ok now. Always seems to be the innocent party who always comes off the worst in these cases. Was the other driver charged by the police? "

I am now thanks mate, well as good as you can get with a load of additional metalwork holding me together haha.

Yes it went to court and he was found guilty of a relatively new driving offence of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He was given the max non custodial sentence which is 240 hrs community service, and banded for driving for 3 years.

I did a hell of a lot more than 240 hours in hydro and physiotherapy as part of my recovery!

over a year ago

"I’m pretty sure this is nationwide, but there’s a growing trend of drivers taking higher risks when driving, jumping lights when they’ve just changed to red, undertaking, switching lanes without warning, pulling out into oncoming traffic, what’s the worst case of idiotic driving you’ve witnessed?"
i saw three acts the other morning on way to work the first car in right hand lane on roundabout missed left turn realised it and cut across traffic to make turn, next a lorry overtaking a tractor going up a hill on a country road

By *acko9568Man
over a year ago

saltburn

Worst I saw was a lady early morning. Driving along at 30, fine, but when I pulled up alongside to turn ahead, the dozy cow was doing her eye ale up, and kids in the back seats. Utterly feckin crazy

By *ilbearniMan
over a year ago

peninsula

Cyclists not using cycle lane and holding up traffic for ages.

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

Would rolling it up and smacking someone over the head with it be classed as misuse?

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

The wankers that flash there lights to tell you to move out of the way just because they are late and can't follow speed limits.

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple
over a year ago

livingston

[Removed by poster at 05/10/19 12:29:06]

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"It's people not knowing what they're doing at roundabouts...

Wrong lanes, drifting across lanes and no indicators ... "

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple
over a year ago

livingston

Drivers that go through road works at 10mph lower than the limit that has been set and hog the middle lane while doing so and will not move over.

You can pass, using the inside lane, if that lane is moving faster than the others,providing you are already using that lane and have not moved from another to do so.

over a year ago

I see some funny things while I'm out driving my lorry really have to question the test now days most common for me is a car pulls up on the inside and I no there going to try and best me to next set of lights but the never win

over a year ago

People don't respect each other on foot, why should they respect other road users.

If they have an accident, it won't be their fault it will be everyone else.

I see idiots driving 6 inches off my rear bumper, running red lights, not giving way at junctions, ignoring speed limits such as 20 and 30mph, cutting me up as they want the braking space I have left myself.

Personally I want a decent car with steel bumpers, then see their faces when I hit them. As I have had enough of these idiots, I feel it is time to step it up a gear. Fit a thinners spray to the back of the car, come too close and loose your paint work. Yes I know it is illegal, but it would put a smile on my face.

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

What your not allowed to do is undertake and then straight away move back into a lane thus completing an overtake.

But yes, if they are going slower than you, stick in the inside lane, go past and then after 30 seconds I think it is, overtake the truck

Remember, there is only one lane on a motorway, the others are just for overtaking

"

Yes I do read the highway code, it used to be my job to. Yes in certain circumstances a driver may pass on the inside but overtaking on the inside, which is what I was referring to, is not allowed. A fellow caravanner got stopped and cautioned for doing just that.

The drivers who blindly stick in the middle lane are now being prosecuted thankfully.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Older drivers ? You can tell from the back ? You have time to check ages ?

Yep i'm age sensitive and with good reason.

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

Yep i'm age sensitive and with good reason. "

There was a time that this was the way it was taught hence the older drivers comment I would think

There are also still times when it is acceptable, when the straight on junction is past the 12 o clock of the roundabout. You should always obey the signage however, not how you were taught

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I am a perfect driver just like all the people who posted above.

THIS ONE IS PERCULIAR TO WHERE I LIVE I THINK.

I have to drive out of my house and go left then left then I meet a bend on a main road.

If i'm waiting to turn RIGHT, the number of well meaning drivers who stop to let me out is unbelievable.

JUST FINISH YOUR FUCKING MANOUVRE. you have right of way. I can see the road when you eventually FUCK OFF.

STOP trying to force me to BREAK the fucking highway code and send me out into traffic on the main road that is on your left.....

Their faces when I won't move are indescribable...... they look wounded.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yep i'm age sensitive and with good reason.

There was a time that this was the way it was taught hence the older drivers comment I would think

There are also still times when it is acceptable, when the straight on junction is past the 12 o clock of the roundabout. You should always obey the signage however, not how you were taught"

No. Straight ahead has never been taught as a right indication.

I'm sensitive to age comments cos im in the older bracket. Just as im sensitive to 'fucking women drivers' comments.

A bad driver is a bad driver.

over a year ago

misuse of highway code is an everyday thing surely

over a year ago

some prat on a 125cc I overtook last week.

Stupid cunt sped up and had the nerve to call work about my dangerous driving.

Trying to say I'm to blame and threatening me with police action.

over a year ago

"some prat on a 125cc I overtook last week.

Trying to say I'm to blame and threatening me with police action. "

similar to how i got sacked other week that im glad i was sacked if my own bosses dont have the back bone to believe staff over total strangers i dont wanna earn them money

over a year ago

Yes I agree, the risks people are taking these days seem, to me anyway, dangerous and unnecessary. It annoys me because I feel like it's the sensible drivers overcompensating and avoiding collisions and accidents just for the idiots and in the process keeping their bloody insurance from raising.

I had a man completely ignore a give way sign, and road markings. If I'd not braked as hard as I did I've have hit him, he just gestured to me and shouted "alright, alright" out of his window.

I have a dashcam, front and back on my car and some of the things I catch on there. More recently I've noticed that when I have an obstruction in front of me, parked cars usually, the driver behind me doesn't appear to check it's clear for them to pull out after me. I always make sure I've somewhere to pull over should I need to as I don't have right of way, but the person behind me seems to think it's OK just to automatically follow me.

over a year ago

"misuse of highway code is an everyday thing surely "

Yes I believe it is for some people. But is it better or worse for the drivers who purposely misuse it as opposed to those who have no idea what they are doing in the first place?

over a year ago

Also have a dash cam...

Will say I have made the odd mistake driving but nowt major..

Taxi drivers as well grr

Will say it's easily done not too have lights on at night in car if u have running day lights as the dash is always ilumanated. In older card dash only illuminated when lights where on.

So around town with plenty street lights it's easily done

over a year ago

"Cyclists not using cycle lane and holding up traffic for ages."

This had nothing to do with 'misuse of the highway code'. There is absolutely no obligation for a cyclist to use a cycle lane.

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"

To clarify:

ON MOTORWAYS

Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Perhaps YOU should re read the Highway Code

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

Im sure I read that if you smash some one up the bum it's always your fault , but is this the case if they reverse on to you ???

By *Man1263Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Yes I do read the highway code, it used to be my job to. Yes in certain circumstances a driver may pass on the inside but overtaking on the inside, which is what I was referring to, is not allowed. A fellow caravanner got stopped and cautioned for doing just that.

The drivers who blindly stick in the middle lane are now being prosecuted thankfully."

Your job was reading the Highway Code?

As per message, you can undertake anytime you want, and as I said in message, I spend alot of time in that lane whilst driving a truck, and yes I undertake alot.

It's not illegal to undertake if in traffic and the outer lanes are going slower.

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

The drivers who blindly stick in the middle lane are now being prosecuted thankfully.

As per message, you can undertake anytime you want, and as I said in message, I spend alot of time in that lane whilst driving a truck, and yes I undertake alot.

It's not illegal to undertake if in traffic and the outer lanes are going slower.

"

Yes it was my job to read the Highway Code, we were tested on it regularly, no need for your comment.

ON MOTORWAYS

Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

By *Man1263Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Yes it was my job to read the Highway Code, we were tested on it regularly, no need for your comment.

ON MOTORWAYS

Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake."

So your agreeing with me.

You can undertake anytime you want, see above.

I can spend maybe 20 mins (3 junctions on the m6) undertaking and guess what, none of it is illegal!

So if middle lane (which is an overtaking lane) is moving at 50mph and the inside lane (the only actual lane on a motorway) is moving at 56mph due to traffic, that means every vehicle in that lane is undertaking legally, it's when you move from the middle lane to the inner lane to perform an undertake, that is illegal.

But thanks for keeping agreeing with me

By *Man1263Man
over a year ago

Stockport

[Removed by poster at 05/10/19 14:47:43]

over a year ago

"some prat on a 125cc I overtook last week.

Trying to say I'm to blame and threatening me with police action. similar to how i got sacked other week that im glad i was sacked if my own bosses dont have the back bone to believe staff over total strangers i dont wanna earn them money"

Fortunately for me, my boss is a bit of a dude.

By *ettyboop61Woman
over a year ago

St Neots

I've recently bought myself a dash cam.....lol you really don't realise how bad people drive untill you play some of the video back...

By *Man1263Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"I've recently bought myself a dash cam.....lol you really don't realise how bad people drive untill you play some of the video back..."

All of our works vehicles have these fitted, it's nice when you get people ring up and complain.

They play back the video, and never had a chat with HR about it yet

I will say they are very good for the most part, as long as you don't become a DCW, but remember, it can also be used against you.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"One of the things that annoys me most is especially relevant in the heavy rains we've just had - drivers not turning their lights on.

Why manufacturers can't wire them so that the rear lights are on all the time beats me!

"

... And of course the opposite. People who don't seem to be able to turn off their fog lights.

I've the beginnings of a cataract, and the glare really affects me.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

ON MOTORWAYS

So your agreeing with me.

You can undertake anytime you want, see above.

I can spend maybe 20 mins (3 junctions on the m6) undertaking and guess what, none of it is illegal!

So if middle lane (which is an overtaking lane) is moving at 50mph and the inside lane (the only actual lane on a motorway) is moving at 56mph due to traffic, that means every vehicle in that lane is undertaking legally, it's when you move from the middle lane to the inner lane to perform an undertake, that is illegal.

But thanks for keeping agreeing with me

"

It doesn't say anytime you want. But in congested conditions.

If traffic is flowing at 55mph,I wouldn't interpret that as congested.

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

It amazes me how some think that using indicators gives them the right of way. . An indicator is a signal of intention. . . You must still give way and not just barge into the next lane.

over a year ago

"It amazes me how some think that using indicators gives them the right of way. . An indicator is a signal of intention. . . You must still give way and not just barge into the next lane. "

yeah i see that a lot on the city roads, they just indicate and switch lane without even looking if there’s room.

By *etite HandfulWoman
over a year ago

Chester

"It amazes me how some think that using indicators gives them the right of way. . An indicator is a signal of intention. . . You must still give way and not just barge into the next lane. "

Motorways are the worst is indicate and pull out no though to if there is room or making someone sharply brake.

By *corpio67Man
over a year ago

hillingdon

... And of course the opposite. People who don't seem to be able to turn off their fog lights.

I've the beginnings of a cataract, and the glare really affects me."

Fog lights?

I thought all cars had 4 headlights!!

And no I do not have fog lights!

over a year ago

Bad driving is a big gripe of mine.

A lot of new roundabouts have lanes clearly marked out on them now, and yet people still can't follow them, simply cutting across Willy nilly.

over a year ago

I was in a standing line of traffic a week ago, car in front brake lights on, so I got out and signaled her to open the window, I simply said "are you sitting with your foot on the brake?" She replied yes I'm sorry, so I said well you're blinding me.

Use the bloody hand brake people!!!

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Im sure I read that if you smash some one up the bum it's always your fault , but is this the case if they reverse on to you ??? "

If you can prove they brake checked you, it is their fault.

By *tripper9Man
over a year ago

Blackburn

Slightly off topic, drivers who drive with full beam on when catching you up, or driving on the motorway at night but not dipping their lights when in view.

People badly fitting their own bulbs (some bulbs can be fitted upside down).

Some headlights are badly aligned after damage.

Lights pointing too high when the boot space is overloaded (some lights have a range adjustment).

But, the biggest gripe is when you have a bulb out on some cars it makes the other lamps too bright, but lots of cars have a bulb failure warning light, so they are being ignored.

VW based cars seem to be set too high as standard?

By *ttis669Man
over a year ago

Warrington

Hands down the most annoying thing has to be people that dont know the highway code says to stay left of youre not overtaking... people driving constantly in the outside lane of a dual carridgeway at any mph are the reason we have traffic build up, overtake and move left tuck back in, same with motorways, the middle lane isnt there so you can have a safety lane either side... move left, i dont care if youre turning right in 14 miles...

Sorry for the rant but its these people that cause undertaking traffic buildup and rage wish the police were more active in doing something about them

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

I've the beginnings of a cataract, and the glare really affects me.

Fog lights?

I thought all cars had 4 headlights!!

And no I do not have fog lights!"

Rear ones are a legal requirement, and those are the ones people tend to leave on...

By *onty1971Man
over a year ago

London St Helier Trier

i saw one driver exceeding the speed limit by about 30mph in the heavy rain last week, they must think they’re immortal "

We use two sets of tyres over here in Europe. I had to adjust from all weather to having summer and winter tyres. When driving with winter tyres on the M25 I realised how much more grip I had in the wet conditions than many other cars. I stuck to 70mph/120kph and was overtaking everyone who were staying in the other lanes.

Even with these tyres still see the same reduction in standards. Drivers in expensive cars holding phones. These cars have bluetooth built in!! Not indicating, pulling out forcing you to slow down, German autobahns fighting for space in the fast lane due central lane joggers- don't forget 50% German autobahn have no speed limits!!

Yes we have better cars but we are not driving them with due care and attention.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I have a pet hate towards 'Lane hogs'. Grrrr

By *onty1971Man
over a year ago

London St Helier Trier

It's not actually illegal to undertake.

The highway codes advises against it, but it is allowed and it's also classed as acceptable in certain situations

You will only be penelised if it's deemed reckless

"

Undertaking I hardly saw (ok the weaving driver on the empty Brussels ring road you barge past right when he goes left) however now it is a common sight. Middle lane hoggers are mainly to blame.

By *onty1971Man
over a year ago

London St Helier Trier

"I was in a standing line of traffic a week ago, car in front brake lights on, so I got out and signaled her to open the window, I simply said "are you sitting with your foot on the brake?" She replied yes I'm sorry, so I said well you're blinding me.

Use the bloody hand brake people!!! "

Have that all the time in Europe. Standard practice.

Plus the fog lights on in the evening!!

over a year ago

"I was in a standing line of traffic a week ago, car in front brake lights on, so I got out and signaled her to open the window, I simply said "are you sitting with your foot on the brake?" She replied yes I'm sorry, so I said well you're blinding me.

Use the bloody hand brake people!!!

Have that all the time in Europe. Standard practice.

Plus the fog lights on in the evening!!"

It's the complete lack of consideration for people sitting behind that gets me. In a line of say 10 cars, at least 8 will be sat on the brake.

over a year ago

"misuse of highway code is an everyday thing surely

Yes I believe it is for some people. But is it better or worse for the drivers who purposely misuse it as opposed to those who have no idea what they are doing in the first place?"

lol true but it seems they got through the test somehow

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Slightly off topic, drivers who drive with full beam on when catching you up, or driving on the motorway at night but not dipping their lights when in view.

People badly fitting their own bulbs (some bulbs can be fitted upside down).

Some headlights are badly aligned after damage.

Lights pointing too high when the boot space is overloaded (some lights have a range adjustment).

But, the biggest gripe is when you have a bulb out on some cars it makes the other lamps too bright, but lots of cars have a bulb failure warning light, so they are being ignored.

VW based cars seem to be set too high as standard?

"

I used to hate coming up behind cars on my R6, as the headlamp is perfectly positioned to shine in your rear view mirror.

over a year ago

"Also have a dash cam...

Will say I have made the odd mistake driving but nowt major..

Taxi drivers as well grr

Will say it's easily done not too have lights on at night in car if u have running day lights as the dash is always ilumanated. In older card dash only illuminated when lights where on.

So around town with plenty street lights it's easily done"

Stupid design. The old dash design was better.

Also some cars have dash lights too bright. Out in the country with full beam on but the dash lights are so bright you're blinded by them and can't see the full beam on the road ahead.

over a year ago

Why manufacturers can't wire them so that the rear lights are on all the time beats me!"

And this!! Really bad at this time of year. People start driving in daylight but don't turn their lights on as it gets to dusk.

over a year ago

I had just passed the first set of lights and was going across the junction, when with no warning, the car in the outside lane sped up and swerved in front of me to turn left, even though she was in a forward only lane (she got pulled over for dangerous driving and I was called in as a witness). What's worse is that she only did it because her child decided last minute that they wanted McDonalds so she decided to put her and her child's health at risk, instead of just slowing down and pulling into the correct lane as there were absolutely no cars behind me, and those lights I know last for a very long time

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

No patience and little anticipation skills seen every day

There's a new mini roundabout near me lost count of the number of drivers who when driving straight on fail to look th the right just drive straight across

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's so persistent that in total it potentially creates great danger ! Lane hogging when not overtaking. some will sit for 20 miles and influence others to undertake etc.

By *ilbearniMan
over a year ago

peninsula

"Cyclists not using cycle lane and holding up traffic for ages.

This had nothing to do with 'misuse of the highway code'. There is absolutely no obligation for a cyclist to use a cycle lane. "

They should use it if provided out of courtesy to the miles long queue of cars that cannot pass on rural roads, respect for other road users is a two way street, frustrating car drivers who can't pass for ages at 10 mph causes accidents too.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Reason I shop early on Saturday mornings and set out for work earlier than normal these days.

over a year ago

This had nothing to do with 'misuse of the highway code'. There is absolutely no obligation for a cyclist to use a cycle lane.

They should use it if provided out of courtesy to the miles long queue of cars that cannot pass on rural roads, respect for other road users is a two way street, frustrating car drivers who can't pass for ages at 10 mph causes accidents too.

"

The only way it would cause an accident is if the 'frustrated' car driver,let their frustration over one common sense,and did something stupid,unless your driving an emergency services vehicle your journey is no more/less important than any one else's,so calm down and understand you share,not own the road

over a year ago

The worst offenders tend to be those who tut a lot at other people having the audacity to use their road!

We all screw up while driving, we all have brain farts while trying to navigate in new areas, trick is to watch out for each other and try to make our mistakes when those around us are paying attention.

By *ilbearniMan
over a year ago

peninsula

The only way it would cause an accident is if the 'frustrated' car driver,let their frustration over one common sense,and did something stupid,unless your driving an emergency services vehicle your journey is no more/less important than any one else's,so calm down and understand you share,not own the road "

Totally agree, all road users should respect the other road users. I was pointing out that frustration caused by inconsiderate use of the road can lead to people doing something they otherwise not do, I am not excusing that, just stating that it happens.

over a year ago

"

Cycle lanes on rural roads?

By *ilbearniMan
over a year ago

peninsula

Cycle lanes on rural roads?"

Yes there are some

rural villages and towns exist too

over a year ago

"

Highway code 203 to 225, covers what you need to do when coming up against vulnerable road users.

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

I see so much we’d be here till Christmas, absolutely shocking here in the UK

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

if people didn't drive in thr outside lanes at inappropriate speeds.. people wouldn't undertake.

over a year ago

Wouldn't be Audi drivers by any chance haha"

You missed out BMW, Mercedes, 4X4, van and taxi drivers, they seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

over a year ago

The only way it would cause an accident is if the 'frustrated' car driver,let their frustration over one common sense,and did something stupid,unless your driving an emergency services vehicle your journey is no more/less important than any one else's,so calm down and understand you share,not own the road

Totally agree, all road users should respect the other road users. I was pointing out that frustration caused by inconsiderate use of the road can lead to people doing something they otherwise not do, I am not excusing that, just stating that it happens."

Personally I will not use a cycle lane, as they are not fit for purpose. Too many are littered with broken glass or other debris.

It would be nice if cars drivers were more considerate when passing cyclists, seeing as it is law now to give them at least 3 foot of space was overtaking them.

over a year ago

I like roundabouts the one in East Kilbride is world famous

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

It's not just the fast drivers who can be at fault.

In Warwick, the main East-West route through town is the High Street with traffic lights at one end controlling a very busy junction.

Part way along it is the only Lights controlled pedestrian crossing and at peak hours, the traffic crawls through town.

Each morning, there are quite a few minor stunts with vehicles slowly running into each other as drivers attention has been elsewhere!

Or drivers miss the crossing lights entirely, ending up sitting astride the crossing as people try to cross.

Their reactions are priceless, eg, 'is this new?" (It was installed over 5 years ago!), "the lights are not working, so it doesn't apply" (the lights were working!). People have been hit by cars as drivers ignored everything!

Police did an exercise recently, witnessing drivers making calls or texting on phones; ladies applying make- up, guys shaving, one man even doing his crossword in his paper!

From that, officers issued tickets. One guy got booked 4 days in a row! He's now lost his licence.

By *ettyboop61Woman
over a year ago

St Neots

"I've recently bought myself a dash cam.....lol you really don't realise how bad people drive untill you play some of the video back...

All of our works vehicles have these fitted, it's nice when you get people ring up and complain.

I will say they are very good for the most part, as long as you don't become a DCW, but remember, it can also be used against you.

"

What does DCW mean??

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

"I've recently bought myself a dash cam.....lol you really don't realise how bad people drive untill you play some of the video back...

What does DCW mean??"

Dash cam wanker?

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

What does DCW mean??

Dash cam wanker?"

No .. warrior.... yes warrior

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Car parks with multiple exits... Ppl drive too fast and drive like dodgems... Nightmare.

Ive got a new car and its stressful.. I park far away from the idiots.

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

You missed out BMW, Mercedes, 4X4, van and taxi drivers, they seem to think the rules don't apply to them."

And weekend grannies usually in an old micra... 17 miles an hour, no indicators ever...

over a year ago

I totally hate it when pedestrians walk into the road at zebra crossings without waiting, hate cyclists who skip red lights and have seen 2 of them get knocked over because of this.

My worst concern is when stupid idiots walk onto the road without any regard for their safety. Has life become so busy and are they in such a hurry that it’s worth them getting knocked over.

Happened to me last week and felt like slapping the idiot. Grrrrr

By *ingle ex cuckMan
over a year ago

chester

When one woman makes cuts to the police by 20,000 officers then no wonder there is no order on the roads

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

Just a few days ago, I was sat in the middle of a T-junction waiting to turn right - traffic lights turned red, I started to turn, and a female driver approaching drove straight through the red light...

....I hit the brakes, headlights and horn simultaneously, and she stopped inches away with a total look of shock on her face - clearly she'd seen neither the red light or me about to turn across the junction...

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

My pet hates are when a roundabout has two lanes approaching, around it, and leaving...

....and the idiot in the left lane can't be bothered to stay in it andd cuts straight across on the roundabout itself, regardless of whether I or anyone else happens to already be in the right lane...

....and then there are the absolute idiots who turn right from the left lane - had two near-misses in recent weeks...

By *arex2Couple
over a year ago

Bradford

I drive for a living. Seen it all. Where do I start?.....

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"I totally hate it when pedestrians walk into the road at zebra crossings without waiting....

"

They don't have to. They have right of way, if they are on a crossing you must stop. They don't need your permission.

Obviously in the real world its worth checking to see the idiot car driver has noticed...

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

The highway code is wrong !!!

I got smashed up the rear on Friday night and it was totaly my fault , xx

over a year ago

"I totally hate it when pedestrians walk into the road at zebra crossings without waiting....

They don't have to. They have right of way, if they are on a crossing you must stop. They don't need your permission.

Obviously in the real world its worth checking to see the idiot car driver has noticed... "

Exactly this. You don't have to wait at a Zebra crossing, but you do have to at a Pelican and a Toucan crossing.

Post new Message to Thread