Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cherished number plates

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone noticed that personalised car number plates are becoming more and more popular these days ?

You can pay anything from a couple of hundred quid to tens of thousands. I personally dont see the appeal. To me they're just a bunch of random letters and numbers, which mean nothing to anyone except the owner, but I wouldn't judge anyone who wishes to spend their money, adding a personal touch to their pride and joy. What does everyone else think? Waste of money or money well spent ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Anyone noticed that personalised car number plates are becoming more and more popular these days ?

You can pay anything from a couple of hundred quid to tens of thousands. I personally dont see the appeal. To me they're just a bunch of random letters and numbers, which mean nothing to anyone except the owner, but I wouldn't judge anyone who wishes to spend their money, adding a personal touch to their pride and joy. What does everyone else think? Waste of money or money well spent ?"

Spent £600 on my car one

£475 on my bike one

Spur of the moment I suppose, not for everyone! Happy I've got them. Tailors it to you.

over a year ago

"Anyone noticed that personalised car number plates are becoming more and more popular these days ?

You can pay anything from a couple of hundred quid to tens of thousands. I personally dont see the appeal. To me they're just a bunch of random letters and numbers, which mean nothing to anyone except the owner, but I wouldn't judge anyone who wishes to spend their money, adding a personal touch to their pride and joy. What does everyone else think?

Waste of money or money well spent ?"

Mine is very suggestive despite being a normal one it’s starts with “BJ” go figure

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I got mine off fleabay. £200

The one I really want is over £10k. Sod that. Lol

over a year ago

You can pay anything from a couple of hundred quid to tens of thousands. I personally dont see the appeal. To me they're just a bunch of random letters and numbers, which mean nothing to anyone except the owner, but I wouldn't judge anyone who wishes to spend their money, adding a personal touch to their pride and joy. What does everyone else think? Waste of money or money well spent ?"

I agree with you OP. I wouldn't tell ppl how to spend their money but it does seem like a waste though when you consider how money could otherwise be spent or distributed. Not for me

over a year ago

You can pay anything from a couple of hundred quid to tens of thousands. I personally dont see the appeal. To me they're just a bunch of random letters and numbers, which mean nothing to anyone except the owner, but I wouldn't judge anyone who wishes to spend their money, adding a personal touch to their pride and joy. What does everyone else think?

Waste of money or money well spent ?

Mine is very suggestive despite being a normal one it’s starts with “BJ” go figure "

over a year ago

I wouldn’t bother personally but know lots of people who get really happy when they see their car plates. If it makes you happy then hey, why not

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

People spend crazy money on things that go smack others, so each to their own.

over a year ago

"People spend crazy money on things that go smack others, so each to their own.

"

Oh I totally agree. If people can afford it then it's no one else's business what they spend their hard earned cash on. Like I said I wouldn't judge anyone who has spent a good few quid on a number plate. If that's what makes them happy then cool

By *uzzy NavelWoman
over a year ago

so near and yet so far....

Mine is very suggestive despite being a normal one it’s starts with “BJ” go figure "

Please let the rest of the numberplate be NOW

By *etite HandfulWoman
over a year ago

Chester

Probably a saving long term as people keep cars longer if they have one and loose less money in depreciation.

By *uzzy NavelWoman
over a year ago

I’ve got my initials as my number plate so I’d never forget my reg...

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Known in the trade as Vanity Plates

By *ustme34Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I'm looking for one for my car and bike at the moment at the end of the day when you sell the vehicle you just put it back to the original plate and keep the personalised one for your next vehicle

over a year ago

"Probably a saving long term as people keep cars longer if they have one and loose less money in depreciation. "

Well I understand you have to pay extra money to the DVLA each time you change car to have the new car re registered with your personal plate, so I guess keeping a car longer would save money in the long term

over a year ago

"Probably a saving long term as people keep cars longer if they have one and loose less money in depreciation.

Well I understand you have to pay extra money to the DVLA each time you change car to have the new car re registered with your personal plate, so I guess keeping a car longer would save money in the long term "

£80

How vain.

over a year ago

Mine is very suggestive despite being a normal one it’s starts with “BJ” go figure

Please let the rest of the numberplate be NOW "

Lol no not so assertive

over a year ago

"I’ve got my initials as my number plate so I’d never forget my reg..."

Well I guess they gave their practical uses too then. I can never remember my reg number which can be embarrassing sometimes. Especially checking into hotels and you have to say. Gimme a second to go out and look, be right back lol

over a year ago

"Probably a saving long term as people keep cars longer if they have one and loose less money in depreciation.

Well I understand you have to pay extra money to the DVLA each time you change car to have the new car re registered with your personal plate, so I guess keeping a car longer would save money in the long term

£80

How vain."

Is it £80 ? I had no idea. That's not too bad. I was thinking a couple of hundred quid lol

over a year ago

I’ve got one but decided it was a bit chavvy so changed it back

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Mine was a gift for a milestone birthday as I don't like jewellery, collectibles or keepsakes.

But I am car mad.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

I recently bought one, I prefer it

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"Mine was a gift for a milestone birthday as I don't like jewellery, collectibles or keepsakes.

But I am car mad.

"

Or just mad.

over a year ago

I bought one about 20 years ago direct from the DVLA - it was a rhing they were doing at the time where you could pretty much make up your own (within a set of guidelines of course).

When I bought the Firebird, I transferred it over and it's been on there ever since.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"I bought one about 20 years ago direct from the DVLA - it was a rhing they were doing at the time where you could pretty much make up your own (within a set of guidelines of course).

When I bought the Firebird, I transferred it over and it's been on there ever since. "

The dvla have a website for the ones they auction off every month

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

We have them, had them 20+ years just transfer them car to car, they are our name though not random letters

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

You could always change your name to match your plate.

Mr. AB61 SJE

over a year ago

"I bought one about 20 years ago direct from the DVLA - it was a rhing they were doing at the time where you could pretty much make up your own (within a set of guidelines of course).

When I bought the Firebird, I transferred it over and it's been on there ever since.

The dvla have a website for the ones they auction off every month "

Indeed they do, but this was a different scheme. It was while we were still using the previous registration format i.e. using a prefux letter as the age identifier.

You could select an age appropriate prefix, a number between 1 & 20 and any three letters

over a year ago

"We have them, had them 20+ years just transfer them car to car, they are our name though not random letters "

I think the problem with the random letters ones are all the ones with names of people have been snapped up years ago by people just like yourselves so most people now just try and get the nearest matching letters and numbers to their name

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

"Mine was a gift for a milestone birthday as I don't like jewellery, collectibles or keepsakes.

But I am car mad.

Or just mad. "

Wind it in mate

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

But I am car mad.

Or just mad.

Wind it in mate

"

(Blows raspberry)

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Bought my son one for his 18th

It's an 11 plate, and a play on his name. It doesn't look obvious

But as it's on a bike not a car, it reads well - if you knew him, you'd get the joke

By *irth.Minge.FireMan
over a year ago

Seen in far off places

It thought personalised number plates were for Chavs with old cars...

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"It thought personalised number plates were for Chavs with old cars..."

You mean you don’t have one? I thought you had EVERYTHING

By *uzzy NavelWoman
over a year ago

"I’ve got my initials as my number plate so I’d never forget my reg...

Well I guess they gave their practical uses too then. I can never remember my reg number which can be embarrassing sometimes. Especially checking into hotels and you have to say. Gimme a second to go out and look, be right back lol "

Ha ha

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It thought personalised number plates were for Chavs with old cars..."

Which is exactly why I have one

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"It thought personalised number plates were for Chavs with old cars...

Which is exactly why I have one "

Innit

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Innit"

Yeah blud

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Innit

Yeah blud"

C U @ McDs l8r.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Innit

Yeah blud

C U @ McDs l8r. "

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

most people i know have private plates. My mums spells out her name and got chatted up by a man because of it. She got out the car and he said hello **** she thought she knew him

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"most people i know have private plates. My mums spells out her name and got chatted up by a man because of it. She got out the car and he said hello **** she thought she knew him "

Lol

I used to wear a locket with my name inscribed on it, a guy I didn't know used my name and it took me ages to figure out how he know it

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

I spent £1385 on mine. I paid for it out of my university bursary! I love it. It use it every day... I no longer use my degree.... value for money!

Post new Message to Thread