Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

CCTV Systems ~advice needed

Jump to newest

By *exy milf 1962 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

We're wanting a decenct quality home CCTV audio and visual (external) system ,that can record day and night (24hr) ~ But with sooooo many on the market ~Could any 1 recommend a good one ?? Cheers Carla x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"We're wanting a decenct quality home CCTV audio and visual (external) system ,that can record day and night (24hr) ~ But with sooooo many on the market ~Could any 1 recommend a good one ?? Cheers Carla x"

Very much depends how much you want to spend and number of cameras DVR size etc and if you want one fitted or self install

over a year ago

Sheffield

We had realised that of course x

We've had an "on going" problem with a nightmare neighbour and on the advise of the environmental health and Police today,intend to install a decent system.

We've been on-line and want a system that will pick up clear visual and audiable ,to capture evidence of potential damage to our property and car and garden.

It appears that some wireless systems have a poorer image than a wired in system etc ....reading from on line reviews,so was interested if ANY one has a particual model that they could highly recommend.??

Were looking at a 3-4 camera package ,that has a clear image and also records sound (day and night)

As i wrote earlier ~ with such a vast choice out there ,we were reluctant to simply phone a local ad in the paper,or purchase 1 from say Argos,as we'd have no idea just how good or crap!!?? theyd be ?? ~ so hence the thread ~ it was a particular make n model etc that have proved to be brilliant ,we were hoping to be helped with !! xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think Costco ate selling some pretty good ones at the moment that record on to a hard disk. You don't even need a monitor provided you can link it to your pc or Mac. I think they might even be wireless (though I might be making that up).

Sorry to hear about you neighbours. They can make your life hell

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

get the best money can buy, ie hd quality, good quality recording system, quality cameras, and if its a night time issue obviously night vis, also get a security light fitted with a perimeter alarm, whilst you sleeping if someone enters the zone the alarm sounds, lights up and the cameras get the action

x

over a year ago

As for make/model I wouldn't get to hung up about it as all it is is a camera, cable and digital recording device. As long ad you set it up properly the pics will be fine. You just need to decide how much you want to to spend and how sophisticated you want it to be. Recording 24/7, only when motion is detected, do you want a warning, do you want to be able to view the pics via your phone or work computer if your out...???

over a year ago

"get the best money can buy, ie hd quality, good quality recording system, quality cameras, and if its a night time issue obviously night vis, also get a security light fitted with a perimeter alarm, whilst you sleeping if someone enters the zone the alarm sounds, lights up and the cameras get the action

x"

And that too

over a year ago

Wireless systems suffer from degradation due to interference from routers, cordless phones and microwaves and are also prone to signal blocking from masonry, so where your intend to site your camera plays a big part in which type of system you adopt.

For an outside system you want to make sure it has an IP rating of at least 66 and ensure it is a pc-based system that allows you to connect it to your pc for recording any footage you want to use in a prosecution, which should be stored as MPEG so that the Police can view it own their own systems.

You can get monochrome cameras that record in black and white (better in low light conditions) but some also record in colour for the daytime. You might also want to look at a motion-detection system if you feel that your problems are mostly caused when you are not there.

High-quality images are needed if CCTV footage is to be used as evidence in court. However, for the best detail a high resolution is required, and this can take up a lot of storage space. The minimum recommended resolution is 352x288 pixels. Also ensure that the date and time used to ‘tag’ images is set accurately.

Also, it is a requirement in law that you adhere to privacy laws when installing CCTV, which means you cannot point it at a neighbour's property or public space.

over a year ago

Sheffield

Thanx for all that x

Yes!! ~ We were alrdy aware of the law with regards privacy etc and i also have a Costco Card,so cheers 4 that Toptip ~ i will pop over tomora x

We just didnt want2 get ripped off,by being sold a cheap inferior model,that turned out to record crap fuzzy images~ especially as "YES!" we will defo be using the evidence recorded,especially the Audio!!

over a year ago

good shotgun is better than any cctv..no problems

By *ex.IncCouple
over a year ago

Castleford

We have 4 external wired cams and 2 internal IP cams. The first go to a DVR and the IP cams record to an old pc thats kept running 24/7.

Wireless is hit and miss so id suggest going with the standard wired suggestion and a decent DVR with a good hard drive. Ideally 500gb or more.

By *ex.IncCouple
over a year ago

Castleford

Also OP theres a company in Huddersfield that deals with CCTV and their prices are pretty good. Google iviewcameras as they have some pretty decent packages available and price match.

over a year ago

Sheffield

Arhhh thanx so much fab peeps ! xx

It's a bit of a buggar though ,to have to resort to these measures ,bt unftntly it has now resulted to this! ~

Thanx for the Maplins advice also ~ i will certainly pay them a visit b4 going anywhere else 1st now!!

and i would love to shoot the barsteward (if only) lolx

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

just spend the money on someone to knock the feck out of them instead

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"We had realised that of course x

We've had an "on going" problem with a nightmare neighbour and on the advise of the environmental health and Police today,intend to install a decent system.

We've been on-line and want a system that will pick up clear visual and audiable ,to capture evidence of potential damage to our property and car and garden.

It appears that some wireless systems have a poorer image than a wired in system etc ....reading from on line reviews,so was interested if ANY one has a particual model that they could highly recommend.??

Were looking at a 3-4 camera package ,that has a clear image and also records sound (day and night)

As i wrote earlier ~ with such a vast choice out there ,we were reluctant to simply phone a local ad in the paper,or purchase 1 from say Argos,as we'd have no idea just how good or crap!!?? theyd be ?? ~ so hence the thread ~ it was a particular make n model etc that have proved to be brilliant ,we were hoping to be helped with !! xx "

You are getting in to a minefield to say the least, you do better to find a local company. To use in court you need a time date stamp on frame system. Ask local police if they have community police officer with experience of CCTV and nuisance neighbours. Been though this too which ended in criminal conviction on them. Really feel for you and hope it gets sorted

over a year ago

We have a CnM H.264 system. Will take up to 8 cameras.

Came complete with monitor for just under 400quid.

The cameras are all colour (they switch to black and white at night) 2 x external Dome cameras (v good quality) and 2 equally as good 'standard' internal/external cameras. All cameras have built in IR Leds for night vision, although for good night vision use, I'd recommend using an independant IR illuminator unit.

The hard drive is 640Gb and records around 1 month of video (24hr recording) all recordings are time and date stamped and are acceptable in court. Each channel can also be set to record on 'motion detect' so for example, if there is part of your property where there is never any movement, you could set that camera to only record if it detects movement, ie an intruder.

Recording is not time lapse like the old jumpy cctv footage used to be, it is smooth real time, just like watching a tv program.

Down side of this system, and all budget systems - the cameras are not particularly high resolution. Don't get me wrong, the images are very very good, but if you were to want to read, say a car registration plate, it would prove difficult. The resolution of the cameras supplied are 540tvl, but upgrades to higher res (700+tvl are available - at a cost)

Hope this helps

over a year ago

Forgot to say, an optional audio upgrade is also available and also if you wanted to push the boat out you can add a PTZ camera which can be controlled directly from the main system unit and you can also link it into your router and view the footage from anywhere in the world via the internet

over a year ago

You'll find that the law is very relaxed with regard to the siting cameras placed in a domestic setting for the purposes of crime prevention.

If I can remember the name of the particular legislation which covers it, I'll let you know.

But in a nutshell your cameras can take in other peoples property without a breach of the regs, provided of course that you aren't being silly and zooming it right into a bedroom window or similar

over a year ago

Screw fix have what appears to be good offer's on some of there CCTV packages

over a year ago

I'll lend you my neighbour, she will keep a log of all activity that any judge would find hard to dispute!!

Dont have a security system myself but recently my parents installed one including camera's, the local crime prevention officer helped them and gave them a list of reputable dealers.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"You'll find that the law is very relaxed with regard to the siting cameras placed in a domestic setting for the purposes of crime prevention.

If I can remember the name of the particular legislation which covers it, I'll let you know.

But in a nutshell your cameras can take in other peoples property without a breach of the regs, provided of course that you aren't being silly and zooming it right into a bedroom window or similar"

I used to install CCTV when I worked and have quite a good system on my homes that can be viewed online and via iPhone etc. the law that covers is data protection act and the law that covers homes etc is not quite as strict as other properties but the covering of other peoples property and public spaces is not permitted, you are allowed to cover boundary lines etc but the equipment is for your property not theirs. I had evidence thrown out of court because my warning signs were not readable from a distance warning of CCTV being used. The local police are great source of info to help you comply and make it so evidence can be used.

over a year ago

yeah make sure its really good in the dark as thats when most stuff will happen, and also at our work we've had stuff stolen and the cameras are borderline useless in the dark too, and even when you could see something you couldnt make out specifics like number plates etc, someone drove into our yard stole a van and the other ones drove out and you couldnt even identify the vechicles. so spend as much as you can if its important to you as you dont want to be in the same situation

over a year ago

"You'll find that the law is very relaxed with regard to the siting cameras placed in a domestic setting for the purposes of crime prevention.

But in a nutshell your cameras can take in other peoples property without a breach of the regs, provided of course that you aren't being silly and zooming it right into a bedroom window or similar

I used to install CCTV when I worked and have quite a good system on my homes that can be viewed online and via iPhone etc. the law that covers is data protection act and the law that covers homes etc is not quite as strict as other properties but the covering of other peoples property and public spaces is not permitted, you are allowed to cover boundary lines etc but the equipment is for your property not theirs. I had evidence thrown out of court because my warning signs were not readable from a distance warning of CCTV being used. The local police are great source of info to help you comply and make it so evidence can be used. "

Check the cctv code of practice 2008. You will find that the domestic use if cctv to protect your home from burglary is exempt from the dpa even if it does encroach on areas other than your property. The act can be found on the information commissioners office website.

over a year ago

I used to install CCTV when I worked and have quite a good system on my homes that can be viewed online and via iPhone etc. the law that covers is data protection act and the law that covers homes etc is not quite as strict as other properties but the covering of other peoples property and public spaces is not permitted, you are allowed to cover boundary lines etc but the equipment is for your property not theirs. I had evidence thrown out of court because my warning signs were not readable from a distance warning of CCTV being used. The local police are great source of info to help you comply and make it so evidence can be used. "

Check the cctv code of practice 2008. You will find that the domestic use if cctv to protect your home from burglary is exempt from the dpa even if it does encroach on areas other than your property. The act can be found on the information commissioners office website.

Post new Message to Thread