Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Time to go into business for myself i think

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So far this year iv been made redundant then sacked due to a customer with a vendetta and the fact i was still on probation so after stressing yesterday about it

I say fuck em time to work for myself instead of making other companys thousands time to keep it for me so im actually not gonna seek revenge and i say thankyou for opening my eyes to my future time to make some proppa dollars

Now for my question if you were to open a business what would it be?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good luck with it.

Myself and a lady I work with are talking about setting up a business offering a childcare service at Weddings and other big events. In talks at the moment, but it is something we are persuing.

over a year ago

Babysitting it's all I have ever really done!

over a year ago

"Good luck with it.

Myself and a lady I work with are talking about setting up a business offering a childcare service at Weddings and other big events. In talks at the moment, but it is something we are persuing."

Good luck, I could see that working honestly what a good Idea!

over a year ago

"Good luck with it.

Myself and a lady I work with are talking about setting up a business offering a childcare service at Weddings and other big events. In talks at the moment, but it is something we are persuing.

Good luck, I could see that working honestly what a good Idea!"

Thank you. The idea came after us both witnessing d*unk parents and unruly kids at events and she has worked in hotels used for weddings so has seen a gap in the market for it.

I have 25 years of childcare background backed up with two degrees, she has a performing arts degree and runs drama classes for children of all ages so it really could work

By *YC SausageMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Now for my question if you were to open a business what would it be?"

I owned a business startup consultancy and the best thing I can tell you is that no one here can answer that question.

What are you good at?

What are your weaknesses?

What experiences do you have?

Can they be transferred to the entrepreneur role?

Can you do all the work yourself?

Will you be bringing someone in to help?

Good luck though, although the best advice would be to buy an existing established business instead of starting up one.

Do you know how many startups fail in the first year? Do you know how many fail in the first 5 years? Did you know that you can buy a business without paying a single penny out of your pocket?

over a year ago

"So far this year iv been made redundant then sacked due to a customer with a vendetta and the fact i was still on probation so after stressing yesterday about it

I say fuck em time to work for myself instead of making other companys thousands time to keep it for me so im actually not gonna seek revenge and i say thankyou for opening my eyes to my future time to make some proppa dollars

I wouldn't work for myself, I'd fall out with the boss.

Do you have a business in mind? Sometimes shit happens for a reason. Stay positive, it could be the start of a whole new fantastic adventure.

By *osie xWoman
over a year ago

wolverhampton

I'm working towards my Chartership now.

One day i'll have my own accountancy practice

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

So sorry to hear that. The same happened to my dad, multiple redundancies. He always got a decent pay out and got another job fairly soon but found the whole process demoralizing. He ended up just doing consultancy work self employed with the occassional temporary contract.

Personally I already have my own business. I make latex clothing. I still have a part time job on the side for now though.

over a year ago

I already do and it's my ideal

By *ocodoughnutgirlWoman
over a year ago

Sea of jelly and doughnuts

"Good luck with it.

Myself and a lady I work with are talking about setting up a business offering a childcare service at Weddings and other big events. In talks at the moment, but it is something we are persuing."

Good luck

This will definitely work, I have business acquaintances who run a events childcare service. They do all kinds of events but predominantly weddings.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan
over a year ago

dorset

Just a word of advice, you get out what you put in. You will work long and hard hours. At times it can be very challenging when you dont have constant money coming in. There is a high percentage of failed businesses which fail within two years. Most people think its easy starting a business but the reality is it is hard work.

Im not being negative, just want to share some advice. Good luck and if you seriously think you can make a good go of it the go for it.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

It's something I'm actually considering at the moment because of pressure from family and friends... But I've made novelty cakes for years as a labour of love for friends and relatives. Now they're pushing me to do it professionally but I'm quite apprehensive, because I don't feel I'm good enough

over a year ago

As you have transport maybe something mobile .. Mobile bicycle repairs mobile dog grooming that type of thing

over a year ago

"

Now for my question if you were to open a business what would it be?

I owned a business startup consultancy and the best thing I can tell you is that no one here can answer that question.

What are you good at?

What are your weaknesses?

What experiences do you have?

Can they be transferred to the entrepreneur role?

Can you do all the work yourself?

Will you be bringing someone in to help?

Good luck though, although the best advice would be to buy an existing established business instead of starting up one.

Do you know how many startups fail in the first year? Do you know how many fail in the first 5 years? Did you know that you can buy a business without paying a single penny out of your pocket?"

Iv got a plan just need to research it first but yeah i could do it all myself i think as iv been doing that for years but i have a plan just never had the balls before to take a risk

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Redundant twice, started on my own in 1990. It worked for me. Not sure it would be so simple now... Would still give it a go if you can find some thing that works for you. My work was mainly consultancy and agenting.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan
over a year ago

dorset

"It's something I'm actually considering at the moment because of pressure from family and friends... But I've made novelty cakes for years as a labour of love for friends and relatives. Now they're pushing me to do it professionally but I'm quite apprehensive, because I don't feel I'm good enough "
proof is in the pudding. If feedback is there then go for it.

over a year ago

"It's something I'm actually considering at the moment because of pressure from family and friends... But I've made novelty cakes for years as a labour of love for friends and relatives. Now they're pushing me to do it professionally but I'm quite apprehensive, because I don't feel I'm good enough "

I'd follow Stewie from family guys advice. .seriously.

he said "if you think you can or you think you can't -you're right"..spurred me on.!

By *ocodoughnutgirlWoman
over a year ago

Sea of jelly and doughnuts

I already run my own business (10 years April just gone) i also set up a second company last year may.

I've always been freelance since leaving university so used to the ups and downs that running a business can bring.

Do your own research, pros / cons etc and make sure its something you love is the best advice I can give.

Best of luck

By *osie xWoman
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Go for it. If your family think it maybe you are being a little too modest x

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Just remember....when you work for yourself you need to put the effort in....

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

I've done cakes for over 12 years, if you are thinking of opening a shop....my advice is to also sell the products (icing, cutters, boards etc.)

By *inaryGuyMan
over a year ago

Near the River

You’ll need to have some money in reserve to keep yourself whilst you build up your business, or find a part time job in the meantime. Best wishes in whatever you do

over a year ago

"Just remember....when you work for yourself you need to put the effort in...."

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! X

over a year ago

"Just remember....when you work for yourself you need to put the effort in....

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! X"

Oh and get a good accountant. It’s worth it!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Try it as a side business first and you'll soon get a feel for if there's a demand. I started mine while still working full time before reducing to 3 days a week when it got going. I'm now only working 1 day a week on the side

By *exycouplesswingCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

Been in business 10 years and I’ve learned a few things but the best I ever heard was:

If you are one of the best at your job, it may be time to go self employed.

But Be prepared to work double the hours and earn half the money for a couple of years at least.

Next business is going to be the manufacturing and sale of special sized ‘fab rulers’ and ‘fab sky remotes’ .... this time next year Rodney!!

over a year ago

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! X"

i dont switch off now lol dont do hols either lol i got a plan just gotta find out if its workable

over a year ago

I already do

over a year ago

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! Xi dont switch off now lol dont do hols either lol i got a plan just gotta find out if its workable"

Give us a ring next week if you want x

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/09/19 12:23:15]

over a year ago

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! Xi dont switch off now lol dont do hols either lol i got a plan just gotta find out if its workable

Give us a ring next week if you want x"

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! Xi dont switch off now lol dont do hols either lol i got a plan just gotta find out if its workable"

All the best of luck to you. It's the best thing when you can make it work.

over a year ago

This. So many sleepless nights tears and hours put in at the beginning! So worth it though. Also you can never walk away totally for a break. Even on holiday I can’t switch emails off etc even though someone else will be running it. You’ll work longer and harder then you ever would for anyone else but it’s worth it. I could never work for anyone else again now. Good luck! Xi dont switch off now lol dont do hols either lol i got a plan just gotta find out if its workable

All the best of luck to you. It's the best thing when you can make it work."

i dont doubt that

By *urning the kinkMan
over a year ago

bristol

Making more wooden dildo's on my lathe in my shed.

If I could make enough out of that I would be so happy.

Hate my normal day job

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

Its hard as fuck. It can mean working non stop for years, and I mean non stop, no holidays, no days off. It can also mean years of scrimping and saving every penny, maybe even having to move back in with parents as an adult.

But the good news is, most successful entrepreneurs are actually over 30. The media likes to highlight the odd exception the 18 year old who strikes it rich with an idea, but the backbone of the economy is 30+ year olds starting ventures.

You can do it.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Making more wooden dildo's on my lathe in my shed.

Hate my normal day job "

I know a company that makes wooden sex toys called wicked woods.

over a year ago

It would probably be a mobile car valeting business as i did it for 10/11 years working for a couple of different companies and although i say so myself i was pretty good at it.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I'm not sure really what but I wish you all the best with it.

By *reasyontheeyesMan
over a year ago

out in the sticks

"Good luck with it.

Posting your idea on a forum isnt the brightest business idea?!

Keeping a good idea under you hat is key!

By *urning the kinkMan
over a year ago

bristol

"Making more wooden dildo's on my lathe in my shed.

Hate my normal day job

I know a company that makes wooden sex toys called wicked woods."

Thanks I'll check them out.

over a year ago

I'm thinking along the same lines mate. It's not something I can do on my own, I need the support of all my real and digi friends, especially my Fab friends. So when I tell for assistance I'm hoping you'll all hear my call and offer all the moral and digi support you can muster.

I'm getting too old and too broken to carry on with the physically demanding jobs. The only jobs anyone seems willing to employ me as, slave labour.

I cant be dealing with Micro managers, rude arseholes and general shit I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Paid pittance, yet expected to perform at the highest standards and having my good nature used and abused.

Going into the realms of Socual Media.. Wish me luck.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Good luck. Keeps your cards close to your chest and don’t take no for an answer.

I know a few people who have left my high stress job and done their own thing and they have no regrets.

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

I'm proud of you B.

Jo.Xx

over a year ago

"So far this year iv been made redundant then sacked due to a customer with a vendetta and the fact i was still on probation so after stressing yesterday about it

Best of luck x

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

That question is like asking what sort of woman should i go for or what sort of house should i buy or what should i eat for my dinner etc etc etc...

All you are going to get is opinions which is like hairy arse holes. Everyone has one but means fuk all.

You dont say what experience, knowledge or skills you have or what you are good at or what you would like to do or anything on your interests etc.

Escorting is big business.

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

I've got a couple of ideas. Both ar e good and i would never say them here as i know they'd be stolen. Have thought of crowd funding.

over a year ago

A shop where you can buy portions just for one person, so many people throw things out due to this

over a year ago

"That question is like asking what sort of woman should i go for or what sort of house should i buy or what should i eat for my dinner etc etc etc...

All you are going to get is opinions which is like hairy arse holes. Everyone has one but means fuk all.

You dont say what experience, knowledge or skills you have or what you are good at or what you would like to do or anything on your interests etc.

"

i wasnt asking for advise iv 15 yrs experience in my job type very much an expert

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

"That question is like asking what sort of woman should i go for or what sort of house should i buy or what should i eat for my dinner etc etc etc...

i wasnt asking for advise iv 15 yrs experience in my job type very much an expert"

Were you not asking for advise on what sort of business to open??

over a year ago

Best thing I ever did !!!!

over a year ago

i wasnt asking for advise iv 15 yrs experience in my job type very much an expert

Were you not asking for advise on what sort of business to open??"

no just wondering what others would do or if they have done

over a year ago

I've been self employed for 18 years. It's a niche market in repair work. It makes a living and pays bills.

It's tempting to think big money could be made. But for that I would be running a business, borrowing money and at risk of bankruptcy etc.

I like buggering about with bits of stuff.

Post new Message to Thread