Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are you a ALDIS/LIDL'S Convert !

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Aldis for me.They may not have a million types of jam..who cares ..they sell jam ..The big supermarkets(and the banks incidentally) still dont get that customers are no longer loyal...when a weeks savings can pay the utility bill or petrol bill.I prefer Aldis to Lidl incidentally as Lidls dont provide small baskets..just big plastic wheelie things !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I wandered into Lidl across the road from my gym in Chepstow last week. First time in one, and it was amazing!

It's like a supermarket around the edges, but with a car boot sale in the middle

over a year ago

"I wandered into Lidl across the road from my gym in Chepstow last week. First time in one, and it was amazing!

It's like a supermarket around the edges, but with a car boot sale in the middle "

over a year ago

I've been using Aldi for years. The only time I go anywhere else is if I want something they don't stock. Save a fortune.

over a year ago

"I wandered into Lidl across the road from my gym in Chepstow last week. First time in one, and it was amazing!

It's like a supermarket around the edges, but with a car boot sale in the middle "

love that description

over a year ago

Been a LIDLS shopper for a long time. It's out of necessity, not choice, only.. it has everything you need (pretty much) at much cheaper prices, quality doesnt lack.

I'd still shop there if I wasnt skint. Don't really understand why more people don't. Really dont understand why someone would choose to throw money away at M&S or Waitrose, unless it's an image thing. Or you dont have a nearby Lidl, or Aldi.

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I love Aldi and Lidl. Lidl fresh bread section is brilliant, Aldi Stackers I like better than pringles. I used to buy loads of plants and seeds in Lidl when I had a working garden and greenhouse.

over a year ago

We got loads of Aldi's in Egypt don't sell food though just Suitcases, Bags, Watches, and Souvenirs. Might be fake.

over a year ago

There are none near me so I’d have to go out of my way. So no, not at present.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/09/19 08:10:18]

over a year ago

Firstly you must be very careful if you startle f&b you could end up with ring sting

But anyway iceland i go

over a year ago

"We got loads of Aldi's in Egypt don't sell food though just Suitcases, Bags, Watches, and Souvenirs. Might be fake."

Which- Aldis,the watches or you

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I mix between Waitrose and and ALDI.

over a year ago

I use Lidls, love it.

I don't buy my meat from there though, alwaysa butcher for meat. But that is not because of Lidls, I wouldn't buy meat from any supermarket.

And despite the bakery section looking fantastic, the produce isn't covered by sneeze guards etc it is all open so I never buy there.

over a year ago

Lidl is great! Fresh flowers, fruit & veg, bread.... and small baskets, OP.

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

There isn’t a Lidl near where I live but there’s an Aldi about a 5 minute drive away.

I use them for some products like loo roll and cleaning stuff and their wine is pretty good too. In common with all supermarkets they have good and bad products, it’s subjective but just because something is sold by M&S or Waitrose it doesn’t automatically mean that the product is better.

I like the convenience of a home delivery so I don’t buy all of my groceries from Aldi. I save money on the products that I buy from Aldi so I’m happy with that.

I have brought some kitchen gadgets from Aldi, their Ambiano range is extremely good value and reliable.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

yep..conver here

over a year ago

"yep..conver here "

you might be going on holiday !!!search Thomas Cook thread

over a year ago

Living the dream here

By *2and3quartersWoman
over a year ago

Bumbletown

Yep, I'm convert to Aldi now there's one just up the road.

over a year ago

" Lidl is great! Fresh flowers, fruit & veg, bread.... and small baskets, OP. "

its not fair

over a year ago

"I use Lidls, love it.

I don't buy my meat from there though, alwaysa butcher for meat. But that is not because of Lidls, I wouldn't buy meat from any supermarket.

And despite the bakery section looking fantastic, the produce isn't covered by sneeze guards etc it is all open so I never buy there."

The bakery in my one is covered.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I've tried a few times, but they don't stock the things I want and much of their "cheap" stuff is poor quality. Although there are some great value products, the savings made are lost by needing to go to a propper supermarket for the rest of my shopping.

Cal

over a year ago

No. Tescos for me

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Lidl, mainly, over Aldi.

Stores vary greatly in what they offer. In some I go to their bakery section settings about four times as big as anywhere else

But bargains are the too be had, and I love the variety of continental food products.

The beer is very good and choice of wine is much better than the big 4

And Aldi gin is champion

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"No. Tescos for me "

Same. Got to try and keep the share price up.

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

If the Lidl fruit isnt rotten on the shelf it will be within 2 days of buying it. The same with their withered veg.

By *manaWoman
over a year ago

Basingstoke

"If the Lidl fruit isnt rotten on the shelf it will be within 2 days of buying it. The same with their withered veg."

Tesco is guilty of that. I've never had an issue with fruit and veg from lidl myself.

over a year ago

The bakery in Lidl is amazing! There is a big battle brewing in Colchester - Lidl are opening a store OPPOSITE WAITROSE!!! I'm looking forward to people shuffling out of Lidl with shopping in Waitrose bags lol

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We've been using Aldi since before it was fashionable. I had a friend who refused to eat some cake offered to her because it was from Aldi

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

We used them over 30 years ago when in Germany and missed them when we came back..

over a year ago

"If the Lidl fruit isnt rotten on the shelf it will be within 2 days of buying it. The same with their withered veg."

I've never had that experience with Lidl.

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

I use both, depending on what way I turn out of my road. Right for Lidl left for Aldi!

Love Lidis doughnuts and there tomatoes...

Aldi washing up liquid is amazing magnum think it is called, and I’m not allergic to it unlike top brand fairy!

Both are fantastic value, ok sometimes they don’t have everything so I have to pop to Sainsbury’s or Tesco’s and fall over at the till!!

over a year ago

I don't find them much cheaper so not really worth me going out my way

over a year ago

"I use both, depending on what way I turn out of my road. Right for Lidl left for Aldi!

Love Lidis doughnuts and there tomatoes...

Aldi washing up liquid is amazing magnum think it is called, and I’m not allergic to it unlike top brand fairy!

Both are fantastic value, ok sometimes they don’t have everything so I have to pop to Sainsbury’s or Tesco’s and fall over at the till!!

"

I want to fall over at the tills now too

over a year ago

No definitely not.

Cheap rubbish

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

I haven’t used either for years, I shop at M&S, if you go for the deals I can buy everything I need for £60 a week which suits me fine

over a year ago

"No definitely not.

Cheap rubbish "

Blackcurrant juice 50% pure blackcurrant 89p at Aldi's .

Ribena..same size , over £2 a bottle,with only 9% pure blackcurrant at big supermarkets..

over a year ago

"No definitely not.

Cheap rubbish

Blackcurrant juice 50% pure blackcurrant 89p at Aldi's .

Ribena..same size , over £2 a bottle,with only 9% pure blackcurrant at big supermarkets.."

Things like cordial aren't on my shopping list.

I get it if you have a family - I'm sure it makes sense.

over a year ago

Used Aldi for yrs used to use netto now home bargains Aldi heron not been to a proper supermarket in at least 5 yrs

By *esireXposedMan
over a year ago

East sussex

I'm a Lidl boy.

Though will shop elsewhere, except tesco!

over a year ago

Nope and I've tried both. Unable to get all the things I want so end up having to go to one of the major supermarkets in the end anyway which kinda defeats the object - and costs me more time. I hate shopping as it is and therefore want to spend as little time as possible doing it

over a year ago

Shopping at Lidl you can eat rib eye steak for the price of minced beef from Tesco. There are a lot of really great products you just can't get elsewhere like reindeer steak and frikadellan meatballs. The icing on the cake is the car boot sale in the middle. Where else can you pop in for a 4 pinter and come out with an inflatable kayak for fourty quid! No, the o/h was not as impressed as I had hoped lmao

over a year ago

"Nope and I've tried both. Unable to get all the things I want so end up having to go to one of the major supermarkets in the end anyway which kinda defeats the object - and costs me more time. I hate shopping as it is and therefore want to spend as little time as possible doing it"

how long before Aldi's or Lidl's IS a major supermarket! Aldis opening lots more in the next year !

over a year ago

"If the Lidl fruit isnt rotten on the shelf it will be within 2 days of buying it. The same with their withered veg.

I've never had that experience with Lidl."

Me neither.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

You've got to love the aisle that sells the crazy sh.t

Chainsaw (tick)

Lycra cycling onesie(tick)

Trumpet(tick)

Tent(tick)

Inflatable kayak (Tick)

Paddling pool (tick)

Duck tape(tick)

Gloves (tick)

Balaclava (tick)

Just need to visit the baby oil, jelly and own brand alcohol aisle and it sounds perfect for a wild weekend

By *esireXposedMan
over a year ago

East sussex

"You've got to love the aisle that sells the crazy sh.t

Chainsaw (tick)

Trumpet(tick)

Tent(tick)

Inflatable kayak (Tick)

Paddling pool (tick)

Duck tape(tick)

Gloves (tick)

Balaclava (tick)

Just need to visit the baby oil, jelly and own brand alcohol aisle and it sounds perfect for a wild weekend "

the psychopath's go to store

By *oney to the beeWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

Not a convert but in reality the Aldi /lidl brands are only the same price as Morrisons/Tesco/Asda home brands. Some things are but others not I save more in fuel in calling when passing than I would going out of the way to specific stores.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Oh yes!

I used to go to the one in the next town, but it had a teeny car park, could rarely get a space.

So I would end up going to Sainsburys & spending a fortune

Then a much bigger one opened, bit further away but easy to get too & plenty of parking.

My food bill almost halved

They also do bloody good gin, which the extra £ savings went on

By *entileschiWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

"Aldis for me.They may not have a million types of jam..who cares ..they sell jam ..The big supermarkets(and the banks incidentally) still dont get that customers are no longer loyal...when a weeks savings can pay the utility bill or petrol bill.I prefer Aldis to Lidl incidentally as Lidls dont provide small baskets..just big plastic wheelie things !"

I hate those massive plastic wheelie things.

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

"I haven’t used either for years, I shop at M&S, if you go for the deals I can buy everything I need for £60 a week which suits me fine "

M & S £60 per week???

It would be easy carried home and a small cupboard would hold it.

over a year ago

not true where I live

over a year ago

I like the lack of choice

I spend too long deciding what make of beans to buy if shopping in a big supermarket

over a year ago

Nope shop and work for Sainsburys, there basic brand is cheap but still tasty and good offers every week to keep up with the competition

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

"I haven’t used either for years, I shop at M&S, if you go for the deals I can buy everything I need for £60 a week which suits me fine "

£60 a week! I spend £20-£30 a week

Ok I’m feeding one and I batch cook so some weeks it’s even less

over a year ago

"Nope shop and work for Sainsburys, there basic brand is cheap but still tasty and good offers every week to keep up with the competition "

if they reduced prices they wouldn't need 'offers'.

Iceland also make that mistake..trying to tell you points make prizes instead of just lowering prices to beginn with..And before its mentioned.. although Aldi's and Lidl are German companies..a high percentage of their products are British sourced..so brexit not a major problem.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Yeah. I love both but if pushed my favourite is Lidl. They do some branded goods (I can't do cheap pepsi max) but a lot of the non recognisable brands are actually better tasting or performing.

It does make me laugh when people complain about the 'foreign' food....a lot of it is made in England at the same factory Tesco's and Morrisons use

over a year ago

evesham

"If the Lidl fruit isnt rotten on the shelf it will be within 2 days of buying it. The same with their withered veg.

Me neither. "

Nor me

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Great big sign outside our Lidl saying how they are no longer providing plastic shopping bags; go inside the store and about 75% of goods are pre-packed in plastic - it's put me right off them. I do love their centre isles and Portugese custard tarts for 49p!

over a year ago

Me neither.

Nor me "

or me .they're very keen on stock rotation

over a year ago

"Great big sign outside our Lidl saying how they are no longer providing plastic shopping bags; go inside the store and about 75% of goods are pre-packed in plastic - it's put me right off them. I do love their centre isles and Portugese custard tarts for 49p!"

well observed..

over a year ago

Love Lidl fresh bread and cakes ,and Aldis meat and cheese section

over a year ago

"I haven’t used either for years, I shop at M&S, if you go for the deals I can buy everything I need for £60 a week which suits me fine

£60 a week! I spend £20-£30 a week

Ok I’m feeding one and I batch cook so some weeks it’s even less "

I spend about £50-£60 a week and I’m only home 2-3 days. I’ve just spent £60 on food for tonight and tomorrow. Argh. It’s only me usually but this shop is for me and my plus one.

over a year ago

Love them both. Just been in a Rowes in Germany. They could do with opening in the uk too. Great wee stores.

By *erriAnneTV/TS
over a year ago

The shire

I'm a convert. Went in yesterday for some meat and came out with an inflatable canoe and a drum kit.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Not yet. I expect to be, though.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Mainly Aldi as on the way home so convenient & cheap

over a year ago

"I'm a convert. Went in yesterday for some meat and came out with an inflatable canoe and a drum kit. "

Did they taste nice?

over a year ago

evesham

"I'm a convert. Went in yesterday for some meat and came out with an inflatable canoe and a drum kit. "

Odd....they're not on this week's special buys

over a year ago

That is the best description of them! Love that middle bit.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"I haven’t used either for years, I shop at M&S, if you go for the deals I can buy everything I need for £60 a week which suits me fine

M & S £60 per week???

"

Nope as I am one of those strange women who remembers how to cook and be economical at the same time, I used to feed a family of 4 for £30 a week at one time, believe me I know how to make food go a long way

over a year ago

M & S £60 per week???

Nope as I am one of those strange women who remembers how to cook and be economical at the same time, I used to feed a family of 4 for £30 a week at one time, believe me I know how to make food go a long way "

can you do me some steamed jam roly-poly!

haven't had any for over 30 years

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

We deffo are

Love Aldi and all the little suprise finds ,plus can get so much compared to the price in other supermarkets.

Miss

over a year ago

Just shopped at Aldi this morning. I only go to others for the odd branded item or a specific item Aldi didn't have at the time.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

M & S £60 per week???

Nope as I am one of those strange women who remembers how to cook and be economical at the same time, I used to feed a family of 4 for £30 a week at one time, believe me I know how to make food go a long way .

can you do me some steamed jam roly-poly!

haven't had any for over 30 years "

Of course my lovely, and I can make real custard to go with it

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

[Removed by poster at 22/09/19 13:00:08]

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Pointless fact of the week:

Aldi and Lidl are owned by the same family.

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

Shop in Aldi all the time. However, the Lidl in store bakery is fantastic.

over a year ago

INFO .

Channel 5 At 6pm:

A documentary on Aldis/Lidls ..

This message will

self destruct in 15 seconds-ish

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

"Pointless fact of the week:

Aldi and Lidl are owned by the same family."

Weren’t they started by brothers that hate each other or something?

over a year ago

Sainsbury’s

By *an_LexaCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

"Sainsbury’s "

My Sainsbury’s is looking like some kind of warehouse these days - it’s awful

over a year ago

"You've got to love the aisle that sells the crazy sh.t

Chainsaw (tick)

Trumpet(tick)

Tent(tick)

Inflatable kayak (Tick)

Paddling pool (tick)

Duck tape(tick)

Gloves (tick)

Balaclava (tick)

Just need to visit the baby oil, jelly and own brand alcohol aisle and it sounds perfect for a wild weekend "

Sounds like a great weekend.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

Yep

Most definitely

over a year ago

How many supermarkets do we need selling the same old shit? Tescos closing stores down so Aldi can build a new supermarket up the street, what a waste of energy and resources.....

Soon Aldi will fall out of favour again when they try to turn a decent profit, eat, sleep, repeat....

(and we're paying for all that as customers yet we think we're getting a bargain smh)

over a year ago

Like others have said , you cannot do a proper shop there plus there veg n fruit may be cheap but I throw more away than I eat , they go off very quick , I will stick to tescos

over a year ago

evesham

"Pointless fact of the week:

Aldi and Lidl are owned by the same family.

Weren’t they started by brothers that hate each other or something?"

That's the left twix and right twix brothers

over a year ago

I don't have a lidl close but do nip into Aldi for certain items but prefer Morrisons or Sainsburys for fruit etc

over a year ago

Aldi for the win

over a year ago

"How many supermarkets do we need selling the same old shit? Tescos closing stores down so Aldi can build a new supermarket up the street, what a waste of energy and resources.....

Soon Aldi will fall out of favour again when they try to turn a decent profit, eat, sleep, repeat....

(and we're paying for all that as customers yet we think we're getting a bargain smh) "

you say Aldi will fall out of favour again when did they fall out of favour wthe first time please give your evidence?..Aldis had consistently low prices.. if not even lower than 15 years ago when I started shopping at one.. if they weren't turning a profit as you call it they wouldn't be opening new stores.. if Tesco's reduce their prices instead of trying to offer' points make prizes ' they wouldn't have had to close their store

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

Weren’t they started by brothers that hate each other or something?"

I think it was an argument about selling cigarettes at the checkout - one wanted to do it and he other didn't.

As neither now sell cigarettes, it was a rather pointless argument...

over a year ago

"Like others have said , you cannot do a proper shop there plus there veg n fruit may be cheap but I throw more away than I eat , they go off very quick , I will stick to tescos "
if you throw more away than you eat your buying too much in the first place.. perfectly good fruit and veg are thrown away at both Aldi's and Lidl's due to sell-by dates.. which is another issue.. it's called the stock rotation.

over a year ago

What are those?

over a year ago

"Been a LIDLS shopper for a long time. It's out of necessity, not choice, only.. it has everything you need (pretty much) at much cheaper prices, quality doesnt lack.

I'd still shop there if I wasnt skint. Don't really understand why more people don't. Really dont understand why someone would choose to throw money away at M&S or Waitrose, unless it's an image thing. Or you dont have a nearby Lidl, or Aldi."

over a year ago

"Been a LIDLS shopper for a long time. It's out of necessity, not choice, only.. it has everything you need (pretty much) at much cheaper prices, quality doesnt lack.

I'd still shop there if I wasnt skint. Don't really understand why more people don't. Really dont understand why someone would choose to throw money away at M&S or Waitrose, unless it's an image thing. Or you dont have a nearby Lidl, or Aldi.

"

It depends what you need to buy.

M+S and Waitrose sell some unique good quality things that you just cant find in the cheaper shops.

If things like condiments and cordial and crisps are on your shopping list then Aldi / Lidl is the way to go.

I shop at the nearest shop to me at the time to be honest.

over a year ago

Aldi midget gems are awesome!

over a year ago

"How many supermarkets do we need selling the same old shit? Tescos closing stores down so Aldi can build a new supermarket up the street, what a waste of energy and resources.....

(and we're paying for all that as customers yet we think we're getting a bargain smh) you say Aldi will fall out of favour again when did they fall out of favour wthe first time please give your evidence?..Aldis had consistently low prices.. if not even lower than 15 years ago when I started shopping at one.. if they weren't turning a profit as you call it they wouldn't be opening new stores.. if Tesco's reduce their prices instead of trying to offer' points make prizes ' they wouldn't have had to close their store"

I'm glad aldi have better marketing ppl than me.......

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Aldi midget gems are awesome!"

You think? That’s the one thing I dislike about Aldi - their sweets. I need my sweets

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Love lidl.. Great yogurts and lots of regular brands ankut.

Aldi next.

Top up from Morrisons for stuff thry dont have.

Have saved a lot by shopping in Lidl most of time.

By *tradesmanMan
over a year ago

colchester

just reas all the comments,

I am a convert, i am shocked mostly now if i stop in tesco! yes tesco do offer equal cheap brands but far less quality to match the price compaired to aldi standards.

As for Lidl they try to be a posh supermarket at cheap prices, an i find they fail, as overall they are more expensive plus as said, its half a carboot sale inside.

over a year ago

"Firstly you must be very careful if you startle f&b you could end up with ring sting

But anyway iceland i go"

I'll see you all there xx

over a year ago

"Firstly you must be very careful if you startle f&b you could end up with ring sting

But anyway iceland i go

I'll see you all there xx"

all flights to Iceland cancelled .A Mr Thomas Cook said.

By *andy_FraserTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I mix and match, so Lidl isn't off limits for me. I have no Aldi nearby (yet) so it's not an option for me.

The one thing with Aldi bakery, that puts me off them nowadays, is that the 3 I can visit easily always seem to have loads of flies around the area.

Mandy

By *andKBCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

Prefer Aldi. We occasionally choose Lidl because they give £5 off vouchers.

However, not happy Aldi no longer sell my vegan burgers and such like to make way from Xmas stock!! Meh. But they had candy floss grapes the other day so forgiven slightly haha

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I've been using Aldi since I was an impoverished student back in 1993. Must have been one of the first in the country.

Use Lidl as well quite happily, and there are subtle differences between the two.

My local Aldi is a pleasant enough environment, but the Lidl is pretty shabby. The new one 10 miles away is lovely, tho, and if I'm over that way anyway I'll use that in preference

Post new Message to Thread