Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cycle lanes

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

When are cyclists going to use them?

Millions spent on cycle lanes and eveymorning I'm stuck behind cyclists on the main road looking at the empty cycle lane beside them

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Could be worse. They could all be in a car, clogging up the roads even more.

over a year ago

The problem with cycle lanes is the amount of debris they collect that results in punctures

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"When are cyclists going to use them?

Millions spent on cycle lanes and eveymorning I'm stuck behind cyclists on the main road looking at the empty cycle lane beside them "

toot your horn and shake your fist at them it works for me

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

A lot of cycle lanes have broken lines painted, meaning other vehicles use them too. Whilst money has been invested, their implementation and maintenance has frequently been very poor, so it discourages use as a total cycling route solution.

Near to me, many have cars parked in them, which is legal but dangerous

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

They dont have to use the lanes. I feel safer on the roads most times; easier contending with cars and trucks as opposed to pedestrians and other cyclists that are all over the place on what is essentially a pavement divided in two.

over a year ago

Grrrrr cyclists grrrrr

over a year ago

The cycle lanes here are a whole car lane they've closed off for cyclists.... Lots more traffic at a standstill and one completely empty lane

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I used to have a hatred for cyclists until I talked to a few. The cycle paths

are not fit for purpose, that is why you see cyclists on the roads

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

"Could be worse. They could all be in a car, clogging up the roads even more. "

They all want being under cars

over a year ago

Dont get me started, they are a menace on the road lol, there is no need to block the road.

over a year ago

The cycle paths here are in a poor state , people walk in them , park cars in them .

The surfaces on the main routes are potted and poorly maintained . On a racing bike they are lethal .

I ride on the road , I pay my road tax , so I can use them .

Most drivers are very curtious some are not .

Let's face it traffic goes so slow through towns any way . Town planners have shoe horned cycle lanes in on roads . They should have been planned for in the first place

By *iss behaving2019Woman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Footpaths, busy "A" roads, pedestrian precincts are the domain of cyclists so get out of their way! Cycle paths created for cyclist they ignore! Very annoying!

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"The problem with cycle lanes is the amount of debris they collect that results in punctures"

Correct. Broke glass, Thorns from the overgrown bushes, dog poo, vomit. Also pedestrians wandering around in another world, and other fucking cyclists of course.

By *oney to the beeWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

Millions spent on cycle lanes and eveymorning I'm stuck behind cyclists on the main road looking at the empty cycle lane beside them "

To be fair if they used them then they couldn't play the narcissistic cunt and irritate the people paying for the roads via road tax if they did use them.

over a year ago

Millions spent on cycle lanes and eveymorning I'm stuck behind cyclists on the main road looking at the empty cycle lane beside them

To be fair if they used them then they couldn't play the narcissistic cunt and irritate the people paying for the roads via road tax if they did use them. "

i pay road tax, so I can cycle on the road

over a year ago

If the cycle lanes are empty why dont you get yourself a bike!

over a year ago

Imagine if all the cyclists in the country, suddenly stopped using them and used cars instead. Your journey would probably take longer than the perceived delays cyclists cause you now.

Chill out and just get on with your journey. Hold ups of all kinds are inevitable.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Because I can't do 30 to 40 mph on them, without hitting pedestrians. They do offer a soft landing though, so I think I might start using them a bit more.

By *addogsmithMan
over a year ago

kettering

Nobody pays road tax and paying vehicle excise duty doesn’t give you a right to use the roads anyway as the tax collected just goes into the government pot!

Road fund license or VED is based on emissions and as non polluters cyclists wouldn’t pay anything anyway.

Most cycle lanes are very badly designed, squeezed in because they have to be, some are more dangerous than being on the road. Also as people have already mentioned they’re badly maintained, covered in gravel and broken glass and quite often shared with pedestrians etc.

Also, it is recommended, that if a cyclist is travelling at a greater speed than 18 mph to use the road. I average about that so am quite often over 20 mph and up to 45 mph. I’m not sure who recommends it, I guess the Highway Code. Give us useable cycle lanes and we will use them as we would much prefer to be away from the traffic!

over a year ago

Correct... Nobody has paid road tax since 1937 and your vehicle tax does not pay for the roads...

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Cycle paths in Birmingham are an utter joke.

More often than not they're just footpaths halved in two and painted

Dropped kerbs; street furniture in the middle of the path; terrible surfaces; no rights of way or priority..... I could go on ....

Many cycle lanes on roads are potholed, broken personhole covers and drains, vehicles encroaching.

They're bloody dangerous

over a year ago

"Nobody pays road tax and paying vehicle excise duty doesn’t give you a right to use the roads anyway as the tax collected just goes into the government pot!

Road fund license or VED is based on emissions and as non polluters cyclists wouldn’t pay anything anyway.

Most cycle lanes are very badly designed, squeezed in because they have to be, some are more dangerous than being on the road. Also as people have already mentioned they’re badly maintained, covered in gravel and broken glass and quite often shared with pedestrians etc.

Also, it is recommended, that if a cyclist is travelling at a greater speed than 18 mph to use the road. I average about that so am quite often over 20 mph and up to 45 mph. I’m not sure who recommends it, I guess the Highway Code. Give us useable cycle lanes and we will use them as we would much prefer to be away from the traffic!"

Post new Message to Thread