Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Has Tesco lost it's Mojo?

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

After over 20 years of growth, and one of the darlings of the stock market, have customers finally had enough of their cost cutting of staff/ crap customer service?.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think there's definitely some of that, plus people are horrified too in some of their tactics. They've bullied local communities, such as when planning applications have been turned down, and they'll keep disputing/submitting, forcing enormous legal costs etc for locals to foot; they also have bought tons of land, often with no immediate intention of building, likely to prevent competitors getting it, and gaining market share etc.

There's also the growing disquiet about the enormous wealth that a select are amassing, at the expanse of the many.

Overall, their products/services are mediocre at best, generally: whether that's intended, as a mass market supplier, it probably is.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I live next door to tesco so dont have an option, the only other supermarket is right the other end of town. I dont drive.

If i go to a retail park with my mum and we go into asda we can spend a whole morning in there.

Have coffee

Look at all the clothes

Have lunch

Do the food

Obviously you probely wouldnt do all this if you went to asda every week but everything is under one roof and some of the products are so cheap, well compared to tesco

By *ath-N-DelCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow area

Don't have one..

Don't want one..

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

For clothes we just hit TK Maxx

All of the cloth manufacturers we like tend. It to devalue the brand by discounting in store or they are having problems with capital..

We buy superdry, all saints, firetrap at stupid prices

Even bought some La Perla underwear today for £6.. Normally costs me, mr new, over £200 for a nice set for mrs new

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I like Tesco.

It's a shop not a church. I've never been treated badly in one.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

when I'm inside a supermarket, any one of them, I can't distinguish one from the other. If I didn't look at the sign above the door I wouldn't know which one I was in. They are all much of a muchness, they are all similar costs, they all sell the same products, and I wouldn't mind betting that their own brands are made by the same company.

I've never been treated badly in any of them, so I don't really favour any of them either.

My locals are Tesco and Asda, and we have a Morrison's and Sainsbury's quite near too

over a year ago

"when I'm inside a supermarket, any one of them, I can't distinguish one from the other. If I didn't look at the sign above the door I wouldn't know which one I was in. They are all much of a muchness, they are all similar costs, they all sell the same products

I've never been treated badly in any of them, so I don't really favour any of them either.

"

..they're simply one time small businesses that grew..nothing inherently bad about them.

By *oole2010Couple
over a year ago

southampton

tesco has had quite a bad press lately, especially with their big cut price campaign, it might be that people have realised tesco aint that cheap, as they dont make 3 billion pound a year from giving to many price cuts.

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

The price drop is a crock of shit. But then people who can't (be bothered to) work out that they're being ripped off will continue to shop there.

Tesco lost my custom when the price of staple items went up, some by as much as 40% in a couple of months.

ASDA all the way now and even get 10% more if it's bot cheaper (although you have to keep an eyeon that too as it's not always correct)

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

My girlfriend compared me to a supermarket, I said " is that because I give you everything you need, !!"

She said "no...its because you're lidl....!!!"

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

My local tesco is less than 5 minutes away, so i tend to use it more. But ive noticed that they are very clever the way prices are hiked up for a cpl of weeks, so they can then claim a big cut in the price. Some of their prices are up and down like a yoyo even when they are not on any sort of offer.

My biggest complaint of tesco is the way they have cut the number of staff on the shopfloor to the absolute mimimum. They dont employ enough staff to make sure the shelfs arent empty, but management seem to find time to do that pointless exercise each day of pushing all the stock forward so it all looks nice and tidy.

over a year ago

"My local tesco is less than 5 minutes away, so i tend to use it more. But ive noticed that they are very clever the way prices are hiked up for a cpl of weeks, so they can then claim a big cut in the price. Some of their prices are up and down like a yoyo even when they are not on any sort of offer.

My biggest complaint of tesco is the way they have cut the number of staff on the shopfloor to the absolute mimimum. They dont employ enough staff to make sure the shelfs arent empty, but management seem to find time to do that pointless exercise each day of pushing all the stock forward so it all looks nice and tidy. "

I think a lot of the supermarkets adopt the same policy of as few staff as possible. Tescos have been the biggest for a while and have made good profits. Are they wrong to do so? Well no but if they don't treat the customer right people go elsewhere.

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

SW Scotland

Never knew they still sold mojo's

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"After over 20 years of growth, and one of the darlings of the stock market, have customers finally had enough of their cost cutting of staff/ crap customer service?.

"

I dont its that..more the fact that they have been sussed as not being 'that' cheap after all..and the quality of some of their food is rubbish compared to shops like Lidl etc..

I know loads of people who say Tescos fruit and veg is really poor quality and shop elsewhere for theirs separately

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"My local tesco is less than 5 minutes away, so i tend to use it more. But ive noticed that they are very clever the way prices are hiked up for a cpl of weeks, so they can then claim a big cut in the price. Some of their prices are up and down like a yoyo even when they are not on any sort of offer.

My biggest complaint of tesco is the way they have cut the number of staff on the shopfloor to the absolute mimimum. They dont employ enough staff to make sure the shelfs arent empty, but management seem to find time to do that pointless exercise each day of pushing all the stock forward so it all looks nice and tidy. "

Dressing the shelves (as you describe) is probably evidence that their supply chain isn't working.

I get some nice shirts from Tesco - however, I've stopped doing my weekly shop there, purely because I changed workplace.

Tesco Direct is evidence that they haven't got a clue - it looks like Argos lite and is stuck in the corner of my local store like an afterthought. Tesco Metro is a good concept, but my local mini Asda is just as good.

Tesco is no worse, as a corporate entity than Asda or Waitrose or the truly fucking awful horror that is Sainsburys - like other posters I love the deals and the quality I get in Lidl and Aldi, and the fact that when I go in those stores (or the Co-op) I have to buy what's on offer and make something of it...

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

Read the labels carefully in tescos..

Look out for the '3 for £3.00 or 75p each' offers....they are notorious for it..

By *ricky_DickyMan
over a year ago

Mirfield

We recently gained a Tesco Express in my little town. Most people where against it, protests, objections and meeting where to no avail. Tesco's steam rollered it through doing a lot of the work before planning permission was granted.

It didn't bring anything to the town, the Co Op is cheaper and if thats not cheap enough there is a Lidl next door to the Co Op, The supporters said it would offer late night shopping, erm well it only opens till 11pm, the Co Op shuts at 10pm and there is a 24hr Asda a couple of miles away in the next town so no real benefit there. They also said it would be better than having an empty building. If Tesco's hadn't have bought it then it wouldn't have stood empty for over a year but would have re-opened as a pub. As a result the News agent less than a hundred yards from the new store is closing and we will have another empty shop and a Tescos most people didn't want.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

if it is convenient to you,then you will use tesco!,but you will obviously have sussed out what are the better buys where you can saver money won't you?,i have a morrisons and a sainsbury within walking distance so can have a good mosey round them all.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"We recently gained a Tesco Express in my little town. Most people where against it, protests, objections and meeting where to no avail. Tesco's steam rollered it through doing a lot of the work before planning permission was granted.

It didn't bring anything to the town, the Co Op is cheaper and if thats not cheap enough there is a Lidl next door to the Co Op, The supporters said it would offer late night shopping, erm well it only opens till 11pm, the Co Op shuts at 10pm and there is a 24hr Asda a couple of miles away in the next town so no real benefit there. They also said it would be better than having an empty building. If Tesco's hadn't have bought it then it wouldn't have stood empty for over a year but would have re-opened as a pub. As a result the News agent less than a hundred yards from the new store is closing and we will have another empty shop and a Tescos most people didn't want."

Tescos are buying lots of old pubs because they don't require planning permission to convert to shops. Can't blame Tescos for that - blame the pubcos...

over a year ago

"We recently gained a Tesco Express in my little town. Most people where against it, protests, objections and meeting where to no avail. Tesco's steam rollered it through doing a lot of the work before planning permission was granted.

It didn't bring anything to the town, the Co Op is cheaper and if thats not cheap enough there is a Lidl next door to the Co Op, The supporters said it would offer late night shopping, erm well it only opens till 11pm, the Co Op shuts at 10pm and there is a 24hr Asda a couple of miles away in the next town so no real benefit there. They also said it would be better than having an empty building. If Tesco's hadn't have bought it then it wouldn't have stood empty for over a year but would have re-opened as a pub. As a result the News agent less than a hundred yards from the new store is closing and we will have another empty shop and a Tescos most people didn't want.

Tescos are buying lots of old pubs because they don't require planning permission to convert to shops. Can't blame Tescos for that - blame the pubcos..."

Tescos are one of the biggest buyers of land full stop. They have large profits so land bank and often sell on or swap for other land that is preferential to them.

over a year ago

Hate Tescos with a vengance. I'm sure they think that the customers are idiots:

BOGOF - they hike the prices up

PRICE DROP - they hike the prices up a couple of weeks before this promo starts

They block applications in order to prevent other supermarkets building new stores (afraid of the competition)

They totally rip off the consumer whilst making huge profits. Grrrrr

Rant over lol

By *ricky_DickyMan
over a year ago

Mirfield

Tescos are buying lots of old pubs because they don't require planning permission to convert to shops. Can't blame Tescos for that - blame the pubcos..."

Thats correct change of use doesn't require planning permission but erection of signage, external lighting and extending the building do.

As for pub companies it's not surprising the likes of Enterprise and Punch Taverns are having to sell off pubs to anyone who'll buy them, they screw that much money out of their tenants that their is often if your lucky very little to be made from running a pub and your fortunate if you break even and yet the pubcos still make losess

over a year ago

"Read the labels carefully in tescos..

Look out for the '3 for £3.00 or 75p each' offers....they are notorious for it.."

Have seen this too

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Tescos are buying lots of old pubs because they don't require planning permission to convert to shops. Can't blame Tescos for that - blame the pubcos...

Thats correct change of use doesn't require planning permission but erection of signage, external lighting and extending the building do.

As for pub companies it's not surprising the likes of Enterprise and Punch Taverns are having to sell off pubs to anyone who'll buy them, they screw that much money out of their tenants that their is often if your lucky very little to be made from running a pub and your fortunate if you break even and yet the pubcos still make losess"

Don't want to be a pedant but not all extensions require PP - some will be covered by permitted development rights unless there's a good reason for them to be withdrawn (Article 4 is it? I think I spend too much time with planners...),

over a year ago

"After over 20 years of growth, and one of the darlings of the stock market, have customers finally had enough of their cost cutting of staff/ crap customer service?.

"

Tescos have lost some of their shine but maybe its only because others have caught up.

over a year ago

Yes and the over priced items.

You have to pay for your points

over a year ago

Tesco is a private business, and i'm sure it follows the laws of the land.

I don't like Tesco or it's business model so avoid it mostly.

That is my suggestion to anyone for anything really, if you don't like something, avoid it, use another, change it, bit like why you do on here if you don't like them

Love to all

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

i do my shopping in morrisons...... quality is far better than tescos and prices is a little better......

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"Read the labels carefully in tescos..

Look out for the '3 for £3.00 or 75p each' offers....they are notorious for it..

Have seen this too "

The same goes for their 'price per kg'...read some labels and you will see its better value to by a smaller jar than a large one...

over a year ago

Tesco did not come out well over the battery chicken issue.

I hardly shop at Tesco nowadays after my relocation, and prefer to shop at Morrison's, Lidl's and Aldi's instead.

Post new Message to Thread