Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Degenerative myelopathy

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've noticed the woof stumbling lots recently, there I was thinking nothing much of it. Old age innit.

Other stuff has really gotten my attention to, her not seeming to realise she is standing on her tail, or her own feet. She's walking and her back legs are crossing and sometimes standing on her knuckles instead of the bottom of her foot. I thought "how can you not feel that ya wally!" Truth is, she can't.

She's struggling to get on the chair and I said to B a few days ago I'm worried about her having an accident whilst I'm out at work.

So I looked up the symptoms and there they were clear as day. That's my girl.

Degenerative myelopathy.

Mid stage. All but the incotincence (well, I was left a small nugget last week but I ain't counting it. It was a gift I tell thee)

I'm not wanting her in pain, and luckily this is a painless illness, however I don't want her injuring herself because of it. I don't want her sad, and she IS getting sad when she's trying to jump on the chair and failing. She'll look at it and w_ine.

I fear the time is getting close.

I'm gonna try to book a few days holiday next week and spoil her rotten beforehand.

P

P

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Gutted I have one at a similar stage and it terrifies me. I love my pooches more than most humans. Sending love

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Big hugs to you.xxxxxx

over a year ago

"Gutted I have one at a similar stage and it terrifies me. I love my pooches more than most humans. Sending love "

How do you even know what to do for th best? If she was to fall down the stairs and get hurt I'd never forgive myself, but at the same time if I don't let her upstairs she will bark and howl. Since she's gone deaf she doesn't get reassured by voice coz she can't bloody hear.

It's proper hard ain't it.

I don't want her frustrated or upset with herself either, and if she toilets in the house she gets on a right downer.

P

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Big hugs

over a year ago

I have a 15yr old Yorkie who's left hind leg is swollen dramatically. Vets have taken samples and I'm waiting for results. She's a brave soul and the heart of a lion as I took her to Australia for 10yrs and flew her back along with a Siberian Husky I picked up along the way. She can hardly see or hear and I'm fearing the worst is coming soon. I feel your pain and wish you both the best.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"Gutted I have one at a similar stage and it terrifies me. I love my pooches more than most humans. Sending love

How do you even know what to do for th best? If she was to fall down the stairs and get hurt I'd never forgive myself, but at the same time if I don't let her upstairs she will bark and howl. Since she's gone deaf she doesn't get reassured by voice coz she can't bloody hear.

I don't want her frustrated or upset with herself either, and if she toilets in the house she gets on a right downer.

P"

I keep all mine downstairs only when I’m not there now just in case and have puppy pads in the kitchen.. mine hits the sofa more than he gets up but he’s ok in himself. The day that changes I’ll have to make a tough decision.. but until then he just gets lots of love x

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Hugs

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

we had a cat who had kidney disease which slowly got worse. We just knew when it was the right time to take him to the vet.

It was hard, very hard but he'd been a good friend and we owed him that much.

You'll know when its the right time for your companion.

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Awww I dread this, ours not 3 yet.

What about a ramp or step to help her get where she wants to go?

May help.

Big hugs

How can you not be attached to them, its impossible.

Theres a brilliant FB page for doggie holidays, let me know if you want details

Jo xx

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I feel your pain. I look at my bulldog struggling to walk and sometimes collapsing on his back end. It breaks my heart he has given me so much joy.

I sit with him all the time and just stroke him telling him how important he is. Today he was having a dream and twitching away trying his best to chase a dream rabbit.

I hope one day he has drifted away peacefully in his sleep.

over a year ago

"Gutted I have one at a similar stage and it terrifies me. I love my pooches more than most humans. Sending love

P

I keep all mine downstairs only when I’m not there now just in case and have puppy pads in the kitchen.. mine hits the sofa more than he gets up but he’s ok in himself. The day that changes I’ll have to make a tough decision.. but until then he just gets lots of love x "

I never noticed til tonight that she wasn't getting her back legs up when she was eventually making it onto the chair, it's her front legs scrabbling her up. I'd been picking her up and putting her on at other times if she couldn't get up.

P

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Bloody hell, reading these with a lump in my throat.

It’s difficult and i’d be lost without my pooch, but gah, having to make the important decisions can be so tough.

Sending love x

over a year ago

"I feel your pain. I look at my bulldog struggling to walk and sometimes collapsing on his back end. It breaks my heart he has given me so much joy.

I sit with him all the time and just stroke him telling him how important he is. Today he was having a dream and twitching away trying his best to chase a dream rabbit.

"

She's become quite detached, takes herself off to bed loads. She would always be in the same room as me whereas now she only really gives a shit if there's human food. She has times you can see she's genuinely happy but that's not as often as I'd like, she's not like a grumpy old bag, but she's defo lost her spark 90% of the time.

I think we all hope they leave us whilst in dreamland, the easiest (though not at all easy) option

P

over a year ago

"we had a cat who had kidney disease which slowly got worse. We just knew when it was the right time to take him to the vet.

It was hard, very hard but he'd been a good friend and we owed him that much.

You'll know when its the right time for your companion. "

Yeah, they give us so much. I want so so badly to do the right thing by her. I fucking wish she could talk.

P

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

P

I keep all mine downstairs only when I’m not there now just in case and have puppy pads in the kitchen.. mine hits the sofa more than he gets up but he’s ok in himself. The day that changes I’ll have to make a tough decision.. but until then he just gets lots of love x

I never noticed til tonight that she wasn't getting her back legs up when she was eventually making it onto the chair, it's her front legs scrabbling her up. I'd been picking her up and putting her on at other times if she couldn't get up.

P"

can you make her a little ramp? I’d do anything to make my lot happy. Bloody heartbreaking x

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Awwwwwwwww. I used to have pets but I don't anymore or atm should I say, I just can't bare it when it's time for them to go. Hugs to you x

By *ustme34Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"I've noticed the woof stumbling lots recently, there I was thinking nothing much of it. Old age innit.

Other stuff has really gotten my attention to, her not seeming to realise she is standing on her tail, or her own feet. She's walking and her back legs are crossing and sometimes standing on her knuckles instead of the bottom of her foot. I thought "how can you not feel that ya wally!" Truth is, she can't.

She's struggling to get on the chair and I said to B a few days ago I'm worried about her having an accident whilst I'm out at work.

So I looked up the symptoms and there they were clear as day. That's my girl.

Degenerative myelopathy.

Mid stage. All but the incotincence (well, I was left a small nugget last week but I ain't counting it. It was a gift I tell thee)

I'm not wanting her in pain, and luckily this is a painless illness, however I don't want her injuring herself because of it. I don't want her sad, and she IS getting sad when she's trying to jump on the chair and failing. She'll look at it and w_ine.

I'm gonna try to book a few days holiday next week and spoil her rotten beforehand.

P

P"

I feel for you and for her .. one of the hardest things to do i tell ya ... my last dog was slowly getting worse and as on medication.. I didnt want to admit it as he stil seemed so happy with himself. And then in the space of a week everything changed and one day was in the garden and he barely moved and he had that look in his eyes that it was time so I booked him in ... hard to do ..k always wonder if I did right thing ..was it too soon .. should I of tried medication more .. should I of decided sooner .. so I feel for you

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Lost for words - my heart goes out to you

By *aughtyNipplesWoman
over a year ago

newport, shrops

Oh so sorry P

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

My old man was 19! Lost him last November. I was lucky, started on the Thursday, was straight in on a drip, to vets. Was kepted in, then had the one way decission to make on the Sat. 2 days, thankfully, and only one outcome. I did't have the, " well maybe, could do this or that". His face on the Thursday , I already knew.

I was away on the Friday, for a long planned, girlie weekend. Out of signal on my phone. I left my fella to make any decissions. As I knew he'd make the right one for my old man.

I publically thank my fella, for helping me with my old man. He even drove the 45 mins to sit with him at the end.

over a year ago

P

P

can you make her a little ramp? I’d do anything to make my lot happy. Bloody heartbreaking x "

I'm gonna use the cushions off the sofa in the spare room and see if that helps.

P

over a year ago

OP- degenerative myelopathy IS a very painful disease. It might not be that- self diagnosis is not at all wise. Get her examined by a vet

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I feel your pain P

My boy is 17 going on 18.... he’s blind, deaf and wobbly on his legs but.... everything is functioning otherwise so everyday is a bonus I’m grateful for... it’s a difficult call but you will know when ..

Hugs

over a year ago

"I feel your pain. I look at my bulldog struggling to walk and sometimes collapsing on his back end. It breaks my heart he has given me so much joy.

"

I'm in the same situation. Since I rescued my beautiful girl, she's always slept upstairs but she has to be carried now. On walks her legs give way and she's started wandering around at night, scratching walls, really odd behaviour. She's 13 next month. I hope she makes it but I'll never let her suffer. I don't have kids, so she's my baby, my world. I love her so much, it's absolutely killing me to see her decline.

to all with poorly fur babies

over a year ago

"OP- degenerative myelopathy IS a very painful disease. It might not be that- self diagnosis is not at all wise. Get her examined by a vet"

I'm gonna get her looked at of course, unfortunately I can't afford to go through all kinds of tests etc.

If it is that, which I'd be surprised if it wasn't looking at all of the symptoms and how much they match it's good to hear what other peoples experiences, hints and tips are.

P

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Love is doing what hurts sometimes. My wee boy age 9 best collie in the world had lymphoma.

He went from happy bouncy fun filled collie to a shadow of himself in just a few weeks. There was no choice really, either let him hurt and watch the light go out in his life, or set him free from his pain.

I sat on the floor in the vets his head on my lap, knowing I was doing the right thing, and held him as he went on that final walk....

He was always at my side, now he isnt, yet he's no longer in pain either.

There comes a time P where no matter how much it hurts us to allow them to suffer hurts them more....

I wish you peace and hope your wrong about your dog,....

over a year ago

So sorry xx It’s so hard watching them get older, all mine are oldies now, lost a couple in the past few years too x

over a year ago

A few people have pm'd me about how my Poppy's getting on.

Today her X-rays have shown she has bone cancer. I've bought her home for one last night and she's on the sofa as I type watching films and receiving lots of love.

I wish you well OP as well as all others that's posted in this heartbreaking position.

By *izzymonkeyMan
over a year ago

Hiding In A Bush

"

P

P"

sending you BIG HUGS Aunty P!!!

Just remember, as hard as a decision this is, only ever remember the good times, I'm a Massive animal lover, and have always owned pets, I know and believe we have faaaaaarrrr more happy times and joyous pleasures with them than we do the short bad/sad time when the end is nigh, not that it will ever make the end any easier, but always remember the years and years of good times we have with them....

Spoil that silly pooch rotten, she deserves it!!!!

Post new Message to Thread