Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The After Life

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I recently attended a funeral at which the cleric said the soul was immortal and that the deceased would live forever as the soul had no begining and no end. So if thats the case if you subscribe to this notion that there is an afyer life (that is life after death)dr facto there must be life before birth; or am I thinking too much?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hence the concept of previous lives and regression.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Not at all, i was a giraffe in a former life.

Ergo there must be life after death.

over a year ago

"

Ergo there must be life after death. "

A giraffe to a mushroom, you're really tying out the extremes in terms of sizes aren't ya. It'll be elephant next, then stick insect after that lol x

over a year ago

"

Yes I was a pubic louse in the last life until FAB pictures put an end to my habitat!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

A giraffe to a mushroom, you're really tying out the extremes in terms of sizes aren't ya. It'll be elephant next, then stick insect after that lol x"

Lol, I'll never be a stick insect, i likes homecooked food too much.

over a year ago

i suppose u could think of it in terms of the big-bang(nothing sexual), and the possibility it will just restart over n over n over and...u get he drift

over a year ago

yep the body is a universal container for the soul....

don't know quite how well the soul being intact is for alzheimers patients and stroke victims though - they'd probably have you believe the soul was partway out the body hanging by a thread or something to cover that one... :L

Every question brings forward two more questions in the faith game.

Wolf

over a year ago

"

Yes I was a pubic louse in the last life until FAB pictures put an end to my habitat!"

Haha, I think the death of pubic hair has made pretty much all crabs extinct nowadays. So some good has come out of the shaven haven x

over a year ago

"

A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!

and u gave that up?..ya pillock!

over a year ago

"yep the body is a universal container for the soul....

don't know quite how well the soul being intact is for alzheimers patients and stroke victims though - they'd probably have you believe the soul was partway out the body hanging by a thread or something to cover that one... :L

Wolf

"

the mind(or soul) like the universe, has synapses(like stars),perhaps when someone gets alzheimers its like black holes

there is faith and a scientific mix, but most will doubt it has much less to do with religious doctrine

over a year ago

Wolf

"

Good point but religon and the obsession with god and an afterlife will give rise to such debates. My view? we have a limited time for the carbon we are made of to become the soil that produces the plants to give the rest the air to breathe.......so we are kind of immortal!

Should I take up song writing?

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

and u gave that up?..ya pillock!"

Who said i gave it up, i died of exhaustion.

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Having jujectst got back from my mothers funeral the debates on this subject have been many over the last 10 days but I am still not sure what the answer is all I know is there is only one mortal life we are born in to and there is no exception to departing from it either.

over a year ago

Wolf

"

Hmmm.. I think the soul is still there in alzheimers patients, but the soul can't communicate with the brain properly... I believe... or hope... that when they die the soul no longer has to communicate with the brain and therefore can be free again and when they get a fresh, fully functioning, brain the soul will be able to communicate with it fully.

I do hope I'm right x

over a year ago

Wolf

Good point but religon and the obsession with god and an afterlife will give rise to such debates. My view? we have a limited time for the carbon we are made of to become the soil that produces the plants to give the rest the air to breathe.......so we are kind of immortal!

Should I take up song writing? "

I try and keep clear of religion normally... I try and approach it in the most non-religious way possible when I do... sometimes better than others I suppose...

Songwriting - Why not?... John Lennon did

Wolf

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"

Who said i gave it up, i died of exhaustion. "

you got exhausted licking your ears ??

over a year ago

"

Hmmm.. I think the soul is still there in alzheimers patients, but the soul can't communicate with the brain properly... I believe... or hope... that when they die the soul no longer has to communicate with the brain and therefore can be free again and when they get a fresh, fully functioning, brain the soul will be able to communicate with it fully.

I do hope I'm right x"

so do I... so do I xx

over a year ago

Wolf

Should I take up song writing?

I try and keep clear of religion normally... I try and approach it in the most non-religious way possible when I do... sometimes better than others I suppose...

Wolf

"

Look what happend to him!

over a year ago

The depths of mankind's conceit never ceases to amaze me. Not content with roaming around on this little ball for an average of 70 years, some purport the notion that if we're not currently inhabiting a corporeal lifeform we float around in the ether waiting for a new body to be conceived before entering it and continuing on whatever knows journey through time.

over a year ago

seems more people believe in a form of reincarnation, than heaven and hell... and its possibly more scientifically apt to believe in reincarnation, as it is pretty fundamentally what happens in our notion of life, the ingredients are te the soup already,but they just get mixed every once in a while..but maybe there is an extra ingredient that comes in from somewhere else,just to add a new flavour

over a year ago

"

Wolf

Look what happend to him!"

Stick with your own material and don't do LSD or Guru's... you'll be fine!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"seems more people believe in a form of reincarnation, than heaven and hell... and its possibly more scientifically apt to believe in reincarnation, as it is pretty fundamentally what happens in our notion of life, the ingredients are te the soup already,but they just get mixed every once in a while..but maybe there is an extra ingredient that comes in from somewhere else,just to add a new flavour"

Trust me, when you're divorced you believe in hell and heaven.

over a year ago

If the soul is immortal and I've been here countless number of times - why don't I remember them?

over a year ago

"The depths of mankind's conceit never ceases to amaze me. Not content with roaming around on this little ball for an average of 70 years, some purport the notion that if we're not currently inhabiting a corporeal lifeform we float around in the ether waiting for a new body to be conceived before entering it and continuing on whatever knows journey through time.

"

I know it not the most intellegent view to have, but for some, including myself, it's how it helps us heal after a loved one dies. So no matter how much my brain tells me it's not possible I'll continue to believe till I take my last breath, just on the off chance lol.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

Who said i gave it up, i died of exhaustion.

you got exhausted licking your ears ??

"

It's bloody hard work licking yer own ears when they're tight against women's thighs.

over a year ago

"If the soul is immortal and I've been here countless number of times - why don't I remember them?"

there's something about the reason why I remember in the Hindu re-incarnation stories, but I can't remember the exacts straight off...

Wolf

over a year ago

"If the soul is immortal and I've been here countless number of times - why don't I remember them?"

You have alziemhers?

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

cos google (or wiki) are only recent inventions

over a year ago

"If the soul is immortal and I've been here countless number of times - why don't I remember them?

there's something about the reason why I remember in the Hindu re-incarnation stories, but I can't remember the exacts straight off...

Wolf

"

Doesn't Hinduism teach that we reincarnate as a better animal than before if we've lived a bountiful life?

If that's true I must have been a rat last time round.

over a year ago

Don't you ever get the feeling that you really know a place, when you've never been there before?

over a year ago

"So no matter how much my brain tells me it's not possible I'll continue to believe till I take my last breath, just on the off chance lol."

That's the truly beautiful thing about faith though, if you're right you spend eternity in a wonderful place, and if you're wrong you won't know anything about it. That to me is nirvana.

over a year ago

"

Doesn't Hinduism teach that we reincarnate as a better animal than before if we've lived a bountiful life?

If that's true I must have been a rat last time round. "

Think I'm still being punished for a former life some days...

over a year ago

"If the soul is immortal and I've been here countless number of times - why don't I remember them?

Don't you ever get the feeling that you really know a place, when you've never been there before?

"

Yes! Its Manchester Airport departures lounge!

over a year ago

"

That's deja vue... and I fookin knew you was gonna say that!

over a year ago

All that we are is a result of what we have thought, it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts

The Dhammapada

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

You lot should worry, i'm still looking for my 72 virgins.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

All that we are is a result of what we have thought, it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts

The Dhammapada "

What is Life - George Harrison

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/03/12 21:59:53]

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

You lot should worry, i'm still looking for my 72 virgins. "

And i'm not shuffling off this mortal coil until i've at least had a down payment.

over a year ago

That's deja vue... and I fookin knew you was gonna say that! "

[quote/]

Lol, but you can't explain deja vu tho can ya? huh? can ya? Who's to say it isn't caused by past lifes?

over a year ago

The Dhammapada "

well thats an anthropic principle(we each make our own universe and share it), but that must mean as humans we arent the only 'sentient' lifeforms in the universe

over a year ago

Well when you consider this little (irritating) planet on which we reside is so small we are less than insignificant but we have a wide ranging voice on the subject. We cause havoc and destruction in the names of our gods and we seek refuge in the comfort that is faith when we need to.

A wise man once said " a (wo)mans life is but a tear drop on the face of eternity"

Sort of says it all really

over a year ago

[quote/]

Lol, but you can't explain deja vu tho can ya? huh? can ya? Who's to say it isn't caused by past lifes?

"

well lets just go with a few formats,

a multitude of realities, forever branching into new ones

realities converging in on eachother in an undetectable manner (de'ja vu an ideal candidate)

an entire rebirth with another random set of qualities(at the end of 'time')(possible de'ja vu again)

a pointless existence that just happens,fades an dies..forever

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Well when you consider this little (irritating) planet on which we reside is so small we are less than insignificant but we have a wide ranging voice on the subject. We cause havoc and destruction in the names of our gods and we seek refuge in the comfort that is faith when we need to.

A wise man once said " a (wo)mans life is but a tear drop on the face of eternity"

Sort of says it all really"

Was that before or after Marvin Gaye said the world is just a great big onion?

over a year ago

"

Residue harmonics left behind by those who have been there just before you, but your brain has in fact been fooled into interpeting it as an experience you have felt before but your logic tells you that cannot be. Hence the paradoxical experience of feeling certain of having done a particular thing before and the knowledge of knowing it cannot possibly be.

over a year ago

The Dhammapada

well thats an anthropic principle(we each make our own universe and share it), but that must mean as humans we arent the only 'sentient' lifeforms in the universe"

That's why we have Dolphins

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

over a year ago

"Well when you consider this little (irritating) planet on which we reside is so small we are less than insignificant but we have a wide ranging voice on the subject. We cause havoc and destruction in the names of our gods and we seek refuge in the comfort that is faith when we need to.

Was that before or after Marvin Gaye said the world is just a great big onion?"

Before.

To explain the feeling of De Ja Vue, nuerologists have concluded that for some (unexplained) reason a thought is diverted to the upper vortex (long term memory) rather than being a short term storage issue. Ben Sammuels likens it to a computer shifting information to enable maximum efficiency.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Was that before or after Marvin Gaye said the world is just a great big onion?

Before.

To explain the feeling of De Ja Vue, nuerologists have concluded that for some (unexplained) reason a thought is diverted to the upper vortex (long term memory) rather than being a short term storage issue. Ben Sammuels likens it to a computer shifting information to enable maximum efficiency."

So should i think of my offspring as like being a spare hard drive(E)?

over a year ago

Deja Vu...You experience something (usually trival) and your brain files it away in your memory bank

This happens almost instantaneously and sometimes your brain files it away before you register you've experienced it. So it seems like a memory

Simple really

over a year ago

Residue harmonics left behind by those who have been there just before you, but your brain has in fact been fooled into interpeting it as an experience you have felt before but your logic tells you that cannot be. Hence the paradoxical experience of feeling certain of having done a particular thing before and the knowledge of knowing it cannot possibly be. "

I'd say de'ja vu, if it is real..

it'd be urself in a parallel dimension being there or having been there

unless u were just d*unk and forgot u were there last week

over a year ago

Residue harmonics left behind by those who have been there just before you, but your brain has in fact been fooled into interpeting it as an experience you have felt before but your logic tells you that cannot be. Hence the paradoxical experience of feeling certain of having done a particular thing before and the knowledge of knowing it cannot possibly be. "

That was Titchener's theory, but never scientifically proved. So I'm sticking with my past life explanation, cos it's nice here in my little bubble lol xx

over a year ago

I once sat in a chair by a roaring fire in a pub I'd never been in before yet to me it felt as familiar as the nose on my face. I knew I'd been there before but also I knew I hadn't.

over a year ago

Residue harmonics left behind by those who have been there just before you, but your brain has in fact been fooled into interpeting it as an experience you have felt before but your logic tells you that cannot be. Hence the paradoxical experience of feeling certain of having done a particular thing before and the knowledge of knowing it cannot possibly be.

unless u were just d*unk and forgot u were there last week"

Parallel Universes.Now there's a total mindfuck..If you were aware of it it would be like being on Special K forever

over a year ago

Parallel Universes.Now there's a total mindfuck..If you were aware of it it would be like being on Special K forever "

Like looking at your own reflection in a mirror with a mirror behind you and seeing the reflections reflected infinately.

over a year ago

Res Harmonics is to do with the placement of thoughts!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

The Dhammapada

well thats an anthropic principle(we each make our own universe and share it), but that must mean as humans we arent the only 'sentient' lifeforms in the universe

That's why we have Dolphins

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

And don't forget Plenty of Fish.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Parallel Universes.Now there's a total mindfuck..If you were aware of it it would be like being on Special K forever

Like looking at your own reflection in a mirror with a mirror behind you and seeing the reflections reflected infinately."

That'd be like a BBW in one of them circus mirrors?

over a year ago

"I once sat in a chair by a roaring fire in a pub I'd never been in before yet to me it felt as familiar as the nose on my face. I knew I'd been there before but also I knew I hadn't."

And not even a wee bit of ya thought...ooo spooky, I wonder if I've lived before?

I used to dream I was in a burning house all the time when I was little. They stopped when I was about 8. But when i was in my twenties i visited this little village, as I past this house and when I looked at it I felt like I knew what the insides looked like exactly then I couldn't breath and felt like I was having a panic attack and all i had was that dream in my head. The feeling i had was one of pure terror. I certainly thought... ooo spooky. It freaked me right out. Never been back there again.

over a year ago

"

And not even a wee bit of ya thought...ooo spooky, I wonder if I've lived before?

"

If I have a small accident,trip or drop something for instance i instantly say "ee yer fooker" in a northern accent

I have no idea why

over a year ago

Many years ago my friends and I used to play 3 card brag in the pub and the table was limited to three players on each side. I didn't sit down quick enough one time so sat at the end waiting for a seat to vacate. The guy sitting to my immediate left was dealt his three cards face down and put my hand over them without seeing what they were and told him he had three Jacks, two black, one red. When he picked them up that's exactly what they were.

over a year ago

"I once sat in a chair by a roaring fire in a pub I'd never been in before yet to me it felt as familiar as the nose on my face. I knew I'd been there before but also I knew I hadn't.

I used to dream I was in a burning house all the time when I was little. They stopped when I was about 8. But when i was in my twenties i visited this little village, as I past this house and when I looked at it I felt like I knew what the insides looked like exactly then I couldn't breath and felt like I was having a panic attack and all i had was that dream in my head. The feeling i had was one of pure terror. I certainly thought... ooo spooky. It freaked me right out. Never been back there again. "

great excuse for chickening out of a swinging party

over a year ago

...and yesterday, we were in a McDonald's and my phone rang in my coat pocket, which was hanging on the back of the chair behind me. When I reached for it my son knocked it out of my hand and it fell on the floor and stopped ringing. Without checking the number I looked at Siren and said, "That was a job offer." She said, "ring it back."

I rang it this morning and have an interview tomorrow afternoon.

The wierd thing is that is was for a job I applied for three months ago.

over a year ago

"

.... and when they get a fresh, fully functioning, brain the soul will be able to communicate with it fully.

I do hope I'm right x

xx

"

OMG! I could have a fully functioning brain next time? yippeeeee

over a year ago

"...and yesterday, we were in a McDonald's and my phone rang in my coat pocket, which was hanging on the back of the chair behind me. When I reached for it my son knocked it out of my hand and it fell on the floor and stopped ringing. Without checking the number I looked at Siren and said, "That was a job offer." She said, "ring it back."

The wierd thing is that is was for a job I applied for three months ago."

Is that life after McDonalds! God is Ronald.............thats it! The meaning of life is a happy meal (with large fries of course) we are all saved!

over a year ago

I remember years ago talking to my incredibly pessimistic friend, and saying how I thought that thought if yer always negative, ya draw negativity blah blah blah... anyway by the time he left to walk home he was all chirpy with his new outlook on life, ready to turn over a new leaf and looking forward to inviting positive energy to him.

When he got home he'd been burgled lololol!!

over a year ago

"...and yesterday, we were in a McDonald's and my phone rang in my coat pocket, which was hanging on the back of the chair behind me. When I reached for it my son knocked it out of my hand and it fell on the floor and stopped ringing. Without checking the number I looked at Siren and said, "That was a job offer." She said, "ring it back."

The wierd thing is that is was for a job I applied for three months ago."

Do do do do.... said in an omen-esk way... see not everything can be explained, I think you're coming way to my way of thinking aren't ya? xx

Post new Message to Thread