Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Depression

Jump to newest

By *ctually_normal OP   Man
over a year ago

Around and about

Let's beat the stigmatism. I suffer. Who's strong enough to say they do too?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Let's beat the stigmatism. I suffer. Who's strong enough to say they do too?"

Me too

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm approaching recovery.

over a year ago

"I'm approaching recovery. "

Well done bet it wasn’t easy x

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I do too. It's been a part of my life for nearly 45 years.

Look after yourself.

over a year ago

"I do too. It's been a part of my life for nearly 45 years.

Look after yourself.

"

You just grow a custom to it I guess x

over a year ago

Chronic ptsd..

Depression anxiety hypervigilant memory loss insomnia.. add lots more in the mix too

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm approaching recovery.

Well done bet it wasn’t easy x"

God no. Blood, sweat and tears.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Yes I have done for many years.

Made huge progress over the last year and grateful for every day

over a year ago

"I'm approaching recovery.

Well done bet it wasn’t easy x

God no. Blood, sweat and tears. "

As long as your happy x

over a year ago

I have huge downs in my life and would I consider myself depressed at them times. Yes, even to the point where suicide was roaming around in my thoughts... I never went to the doctors or seeked professional help although I probably should have done, but I dug deep and battled on to what is now the point of being the happiest in my life I've ever been.

Depression is a cruel illness and my heart and thoughts are with those that do genuinely suffer from it

over a year ago

I’ve suffered since my late teens

Coping mechanisms are much better now that I’m older.

The stigmatism of the condition is still there in wider society but it’s getting much better as those who suffer will do

Massive hugs to all xxxx

By *ctually_normal OP   Man
over a year ago

Around and about

Well done to all those that have responded.

I know Fab is essentially a site for people wanting sex but sex and depression are closely linked.

I have an issue with sex addiction that has lasted for years and run along side my depression. I think sometimes we need to acknowledge that we are here for a reason.

over a year ago

Not necessarily depression but plenty of simikar links. Anziety and paranoia bad enough to provoke suicidal ideation on a fairly regular basis. Tried to kill myself just over a year ago and having hit rock bottom I've improved steadily. But looking for positivea I'm rarely depressed as such!

over a year ago

On rare occasions i have dark days but then i smash and all is well again

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I’ve been struggling a fair bit today. Sighs.

over a year ago

I suffer from Generalised Depression and Anxiety Disorder. Been on Sertraline 150mg once a day for a very long time, but it has kept me on the planet. People who `won't take antidepressants' either haven't found the right one, or do not have depression - it is a debilitating, painful (my whole body hurt) and terrifying.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

On occasions.

By *he RingmasterMan
over a year ago

Canford Cliffs

No problem

Alumni of the Priory and popping Ecitalopram on and off since 2010.

Living with it every day - some days good, some days bad. Recognise it, admit it, its part of me.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I suffered quite severely between 16 and 20 and had an awful time on antidepressants in the latter years. I don't really know if my brain chemistry just righted itself as I grew up or whether it was having to retake a year of university forcing me to stop aiming for perfection all the time but I've been mostly okay for the past 6 years.

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

I did suffer from severe depression. Fortunately I was lucky enough to find a great counsellor and she really helped me to understand that I was internalising my anger.

I still have down days but I thankfully haven’t been anywhere near the seemingly endless pit of despair in over 10 years. It was a long and hard struggle and felt like I was taking one step forward and two steps back a lot of times..... but I got through it

I hope those of you still suffering manage to find whatever or whoever helps you!

By *ockdownnofunCouple
over a year ago

Hiding all away

I do. Feel like I’m winning at the moment, but aware that it is a battle that lasts a lifetime. Stay strong OP

over a year ago

On and off all my adult life!

By *uryWhipMan
over a year ago

Harringay

I have since I was a child and gone untreated. Tried to get help through NHS who referred me to CBT and all that guy said was 'you're not depressed, you're just a bit upset.' Are you fucking kidding?!

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

I’ve had a few episodes some which I got treatment for and others which I tried to deal with myself. The black dog occasionally comes and sits in my peripheral vision but I can usually manage to keep it at bay. I’m ‘lucky’ that I live on my own and don’t have many family responsibilities so as long as I can get through my work day, once I get home I can just focus on myself and doing what feels best for me. Which takes the pressure off a bit

over a year ago

Yes I do, I have good and bad days. I’m on citalopram and it’s keeping me level. Just keep getting through the days x

over a year ago

Yes on and off since I was about 23 , had a terrible breakdown in January this year after coming off meds, a very dark scary time ! Now meds are sorted and I’m in a very good place x

over a year ago

"Yes on and off since I was about 23 , had a terrible breakdown in January this year after coming off meds, a very dark scary time ! Now meds are sorted and I’m in a very good place x"

I’m in a good place at the moment it can be very emotional and draining but just soldier through it x

over a year ago

For many years

By *az211Man
over a year ago

Bse

Feel like I've come out the end of it, I know it never truly leaves. The pills I was given originally were the worst thing that ever happened felt like emotions were cleared out of my system felt nothing for anything.

over a year ago

This year I am anti depressant free for the first time in 25 years.

By *ettyboop61Woman
over a year ago

St Neots

I used to suffer in my 30's it gets better .... vitamin D and lots of sun that's what will help and make you better.....

By *ettyboop61Woman
over a year ago

St Neots

Being overweight don't help either....just lost 3 stone and it does help take from somebody who knows

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Ive borderline personality disorder and depression and anxiety had it for years ,ive hit rock bottom and had to fight my way back to the top ,..

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I used to suffer in my 30's it gets better .... vitamin D and lots of sun that's what will help and make you better....."

Everyone has a different path. Medication is life saving.

over a year ago

Me and extreme anxiety,i started going grey at 18 with stress.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Being overweight don't help either....just lost 3 stone and it does help take from somebody who knows"

Medication and/or weightloss will work for some and not for others.

I take the antidepressants when I know everything else isn't working. Neutralising the feelings allows me to heal.

Losing weight made me more anxious about my body and triggered a deep depressive period that led, along with other things, to me being suicidal. Out of that period Lickety was born and she (and I) are more comfortable with our fat and the reasons for it.

Don't rule out anything until you know it doesn't work. Even then, something that didn't work that time might this time.

Enjoy your recovery and long may it continue.

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Depression is a chemical unbalance of the brain.,antidepressant help put the balance back ,some therapys help as well ,mine is caused through childhood and adolescence trauma...

By *nestWoman
over a year ago

Okehampton

hell yeah

over a year ago

"Depression is a chemical unbalance of the brain.,antidepressant help put the balance back ,some therapys help as well ,mine is caused through childhood and adolescence trauma..."

over a year ago

I’ve never spoken to anyone about this (fella). I had been through some dark days and couldn’t see joy ever returning. Then I nearly died, I laid in the hospital bed. Waiting to go at any point. A calm descended over me and I felt peace for the first time ever. From then on I felt amazing. Life’s struggles didn’t seem anything like real trouble after. People can be cut out of your life. Money can be earned again. I’m not being held back for anything anymore. Life’s great again

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I do on and off. Last medicated in 2015, I currently manage it with lots of swearing, walks in the lovely outdoors and spending time with my family and pooch.

Still get the odd wobbly day but nothing too overbearing.

By *ockdownnofunCouple
over a year ago

Hiding all away

"Yes on and off since I was about 23 , had a terrible breakdown in January this year after coming off meds, a very dark scary time ! Now meds are sorted and I’m in a very good place x"

Really glad to hear you’re ok now. I’ve been there and it’s not pleasant. I wish you the best x

over a year ago

What is depression how do you suffer from it

over a year ago

"Yes on and off since I was about 23 , had a terrible breakdown in January this year after coming off meds, a very dark scary time ! Now meds are sorted and I’m in a very good place x

Really glad to hear you’re ok now. I’ve been there and it’s not pleasant. I wish you the best x"

Thank you so much x

over a year ago

Any tips on clearing ptsd side effects would be appreciated.

Tried counselling.. emdr.. lost 4.5 stone.. tried meditation... not into exercise as exhaustion is overwhelming

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Any tips on clearing ptsd side effects would be appreciated.

Tried counselling.. emdr.. lost 4.5 stone.. tried meditation... not into exercise as exhaustion is overwhelming"

A good therapist, who you have a strong relationship with, with a technique that works for you. That's vague, unfortunately.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"What is depression how do you suffer from it "

For me it is an overwhelmingly persistent sadness that I cannot shake off. I might start eating crap more often, craving it even. I might start isolating myself from social situations as I can't think why anyone would want to be with me, but also because it feels draining and even painful to be around people. I might spend too much time on here and might have a less even response to some of the troll type posts.

My sleep is disturbed as my mind is too busy to cope with all the thoughts. That feeds the tiredness, which can become exhaustion. I can get to the point where the weeping can't be controlled or I shut down and become quite cold in order to try and control the emotions.

When it gets too bad I reach a point where suicide seems like the best option for everyone around me. It's hard watching your loved ones trying to cope with your depression and knowing you are the cause of their worry.

I have coping mechanisms and I know how to spot the signs. I go and get help when I can't break out of the grip of depression.

It is more than feeling sad/blue for a while. We all have periods of sadness. If you can't break through it, if nothing lifts that pressure of darkness then it's depression. As someone above stated, it's a chemical imbalance but our responses and how it affects us will come from the trauma and life experiences we have had.

It's Suicide Prevention Day on Tuesday (10th September).

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Any tips on clearing ptsd side effects would be appreciated.

Tried counselling.. emdr.. lost 4.5 stone.. tried meditation... not into exercise as exhaustion is overwhelming

A good therapist, who you have a strong relationship with, with a technique that works for you. That's vague, unfortunately. "

I'd add that you should try different therapies, if you can afford it, if one doesn't work for you.

CBT works for some and there are online CBT courses you can try.

over a year ago

Yes anxiety and depression have done for years

over a year ago

I’m mentally unwell, have been since childhood.

I don’t see an end to it, and I’m so in awe of those who have come out the other side.

over a year ago

Last few years have been really tough but I'm anti depressant free for the first time in over 25 years.

over a year ago

"I’m mentally unwell, have been since childhood.

I don’t see an end to it, and I’m so in awe of those who have come out the other side."

I'm sure many of us would be happy to have a chat with you should you ever feel the need. It's ok to talk

over a year ago

I have since I was a teenager. I’m pleased to say that currently my mental health is the best it’s ever been and I’ve not had a severe episode for several years.

It’s always there though lurking in the background. Waiting for the slightest trigger which will allow it to creep back in.

over a year ago

" People who `won't take antidepressants' either haven't found the right one, or do not have depression "

What a load of shit.

There are lots of reasons for people not taking them. The known side effects include mood swings, suicudal thoughts and depression. Many people have ended their own life due to these medicines.

If you are already on the edge then these side effects can finish you off or result in you being sectioned or arrested for your own safety. Non of which are particularly good for someone at rock bottom and all can cause a person to sink even lower. Of course the opposite can also be true and they may save your life bit it is a gamble and the choice is the individuals. Well it should be however once you have entered the system they have the ability to treat you like a lab rat foisting drugs upon you that they don't know if they will work or not and take away your rights and freedom (for your own benefit of course ) when those drugs make you worse (or they don't like you objecting to their "treatment")

Having witnessed this and the incompetence and inadequacy of our "mental health care" I can fully understand why people choose not to involve them in any way and avoid potentially lethal tablets being forced upon them.

If it works for you great but do not belittle other people's situations because of your lack of understanding.

over a year ago

I do suffer I'm currently back on my meds but they making me feel sick x

By *anda and CatCouple
over a year ago

I have for years, don't medicate anymore, I've learnt to deal with it and know how to cope. Always know when the darkness is coming and it's descended today. Dread the day I have to resort back to meds.

over a year ago

"I’ve never spoken to anyone about this (fella). I had been through some dark days and couldn’t see joy ever returning. Then I nearly died, I laid in the hospital bed. Waiting to go at any point. A calm descended over me and I felt peace for the first time ever. From then on I felt amazing. Life’s struggles didn’t seem anything like real trouble after. People can be cut out of your life. Money can be earned again. I’m not being held back for anything anymore. Life’s great again "

Post new Message to Thread