Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Compressed working hours

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone every requested compressed working hours in work? I.e making 5 days work.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Aren't most people's work five days!

over a year ago

"Aren't most people's work five days!"
my error. I meant compress 5 days into 4.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"Has anyone every requested compressed working hours in work? I.e making 5 days work. "

5 days is about the average.

8hrs X 5days = 40hrs a week if you are working more hours then that it either down to the job you do or by choosing.

I'm only doing 37hrs a week and fine with that.

By *hebritukCouple
over a year ago

London

There are pros and cons to it, either l as pay or longer working hour within your 4 day.

By *udistnorthantsMan
over a year ago

Desborough

I already do 4 Days 4 off 4 Nights 4 Off

By *hebritukCouple
over a year ago

London

"There are pros and cons to it, either l as pay or longer working hour within your 4 day. "

Sorry less pay

over a year ago

"Aren't most people's work five days! my error. I meant compress 5 days into 4. "

Ah, see what you mean, sorry!

Would love to as I've got the opposite problem, my working day keeps expanding!

over a year ago

I know a few people who do it and it really works for them . They do it by starting am hour earlier and finishing an hour later each day .

Worth it for the extra day off and definitely something I'd consider doing at some point

over a year ago

I work 55 hours a week, but then my wage is nicely reflected...so I'm happy the way things are

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Leeds

My hours have been compressed to 4 days a week but not by choice. Not enough workload (apparently) and my salary has been reduced pro rata

This is my first week on short time working so early days. Enjoying the extended weekend but need to see how long it is before I get thoroughly bored

By *onbons_xxMan
over a year ago

Bolton

I’ve granted it at our place and it works if the workplace is flexible enough and it works for all parties. Could do that or a 9 day fortnight as an alternative maybe if they don’t agree to the 4 day week.

By *upidscoupleCouple
over a year ago

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 07/09/19 18:33:55]

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I've not done compressed hours, but I did reduce my hours down from full time to 24, due to family commitments.

The problem I found was my employers initially expected me to do a full time job on part time hours.

It took a lot of negotiation before the workload reduced to (more or less) reflect my hours but it took a lot of effort to get a realistic workload.

Good luck.

over a year ago

Thanks folks! I want to reduce hours for family reasons. I’ll do the 40 hours over the 4 days!

By *intalentCouple
over a year ago

My work place is looking at the possibility of a 4 day working week for those that want it.

over a year ago

"My work place is looking at the possibility of a 4 day working week for those that want it."
I need it for personal reasons. But I am not sure i will get it granted. I’ll speak to HR Monday

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

I used to work 8.30 - 5.30 Monday to Thursday then Friday was 8.30 - 1.15 It was great and I still miss my Friday early finishes.

over a year ago

"I've not done compressed hours, but I did reduce my hours down from full time to 24, due to family commitments.

The problem I found was my employers initially expected me to do a full time job on part time hours.

It took a lot of negotiation before the workload reduced to (more or less) reflect my hours but it took a lot of effort to get a realistic workload.

Good luck.

"

I think that's the biggest issue sometimes.i reduced my hours in a previous job but really all that happened was a pay cut . I still worked just as much to keep on top of my workload.

over a year ago

I only work 3 days, slowly going towards retirement.

People on new contracts at my workplace work 4 days of 10 hours, awful, most look very tired and ill, they have had more time off sick too. They are less effective during the last 2 hours.

By *edonist 2Couple
over a year ago

Fylde Coast.

I do compressed hours, work 8am-6pm mon-wed and 8am-5.30pm thurs with a Friday off.

Long days and I’m generally shattered by Thurs eve but nice three day weekend makes up for it

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"My hours have been compressed to 4 days a week but not by choice. Not enough workload (apparently) and my salary has been reduced pro rata

This is my first week on short time working so early days. Enjoying the extended weekend but need to see how long it is before I get thoroughly bored "

That's not compressed hours, it's reduced hours. Were you consulted?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I’ve granted it at our place and it works if the workplace is flexible enough and it works for all parties. Could do that or a 9 day fortnight as an alternative maybe if they don’t agree to the 4 day week. "

Ditto. I have granted both compressed hours to 4 days and 9 day fortnight as part of a flexible working policy agreement. It's been fine but the work isn't front-facing customer service critical or emergency services.

over a year ago

"I do compressed hours, work 8am-6pm mon-wed and 8am-5.30pm thurs with a Friday off.

Long days and I’m generally shattered by Thurs eve but nice three day weekend makes up for it "

those hours are my plans! Say a prayer for me

over a year ago

I have asked but have not been replied too.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I have asked but have not been replied too. "

When did you ask? What's the policy say on response times? Employers have to respond within 3 months, unless the policy sets out an earlier response time.

over a year ago

However many hours I work.. it does little to dent the difference.

over a year ago

"I have asked but have not been replied too.

When did you ask? What's the policy say on response times? Employers have to respond within 3 months, unless the policy sets out an earlier response time.

"

I would need to look into it, I only asked last week I think, but I am fairly new staff so worry about appearing a bit forward

over a year ago

My employer others it either a 4 1/2 day week or 9 day fortnight. Unfortunately they are so inflexible with the hours they expect to be worked to compress the hours it makes it a non-starter for me

over a year ago

I think too many hours in a day is a killer and would rather have shorter spread out days so I can have me time every day rather than only on days off.

I do 34hrs spread over 6 days.

3 of those days I only do 3hrs.

Works for me

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I would need to look into it, I only asked last week I think, but I am fairly new staff so worry about appearing a bit forward "

I prefer when people ask at interview or on appointment but I understand why people don't ask then.

They may make you pass your probation before allowing you to ask for a change. Read the policy. It may depend how much they need you.

over a year ago

I would need to look into it, I only asked last week I think, but I am fairly new staff so worry about appearing a bit forward

I prefer when people ask at interview or on appointment but I understand why people don't ask then.

They may make you pass your probation before allowing you to ask for a change. Read the policy. It may depend how much they need you.

"

Its something fairly new that has popped up to ask to allow for the change and the whole section does seem massively flexible in its working, I doubt they would even notice, we arent overly important But I can see it would be better to have been here longer

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Be clear what you want and be careful what you ask for.

I've done 10 and 12 hour days in the past and just felt totally drained on my days off.

For me that length of day isn't sustainable over a long perf time.

When I've dropped hours, yes you do feel the financial pain for a month or two, but then you adjust.

There's no point working 5 over 4 if you're then totally knackered on your off days and lose a day napping.

over a year ago

"Be clear what you want and be careful what you ask for.

I've done 10 and 12 hour days in the past and just felt totally drained on my days off.

For me that length of day isn't sustainable over a long perf time.

When I've dropped hours, yes you do feel the financial pain for a month or two, but then you adjust.

There's no point working 5 over 4 if you're then totally knackered on your off days and lose a day napping.

"

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

Guessing this is for employed people, not self employed, cause you never switch of when its your own business

By *uckerfuckerMan
over a year ago

Bexley

I now work 4 days instead of 5 based on a 35 hour week. I do an extra hour Tuesday to Friday and 3 hours from home on a Monday. Works great for me

By *imited 3EditionCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

Are you contracted for 40 hours per week? Mine is for 35 hours so if i ever wanted to work compressed hours, I'd just be looking to spread the 7 hours across the 4 other days.

I used to work through my lunch hour all the time before I realised I should only be doing 7 and therefore clock off at 4pm if i haven't stopped for lunch. Im a bit of a workaholic so stopping work is a bit of a challenge for me and years of overdoing things is starting to take its toll. Think I actually now have burnout. So be careful with going for 5days work in 4days. Id say you're better taking the pay cut for reducing your hours but at same time be sure you won't end up working the full hours inadvertently without pay!

Post new Message to Thread