Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

"Lost child"

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was reading in the news about another one of those ridiculously stupid "social experiments" where they left a child "looking lost" in front of a busy shopping mall. In 45 minutes only 7 people stopped. The comments section revealed that most people, especially men, said that they would be concerned of being accused of something if they stopped and talked to a child on it's own. Personally, I wouldn't have approached the child, but would have called the police and observed from a distance. What would you have done?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

Slightly different...

But back in the 60s my dad and his mate “found” a young lady (late teen) in a distressed state after being r***d, Dad and his friend helped her called police etc..

The police tried to accuse my Dad and his mate for r**e!

My father always said if he was in that situation again he would walk away and not assist. I do not know the full ins and outs, but makes you wonder what happened for him to have that outlook if he was ever in that situation again.

It’s not always about human kindness, it’s about the consequences and aftermath, and how the “system” and authorities treat the savour

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I was reading in the news about another one of those ridiculously stupid "social experiments" where they left a child "looking lost" in front of a busy shopping mall. In 45 minutes only 7 people stopped. The comments section revealed that most people, especially men, said that they would be concerned of being accused of something if they stopped and talked to a child on it's own. Personally, I wouldn't have approached the child, but would have called the police and observed from a distance. What would you have done?"

Well as there's probably CCTV everywhere I would probably walk up and talk to the child from a few feet away whilst getting the attention of passers by female if possible.

Go into a shop or try to get security to deal with it.

If there was nobody around and the child was alone I would call 999 instantly and reassure the child from a safe distance.

If the child was in no danger then I would wait until authorities arrived.

However if it looked like the child might head into a road or something I couldn't just walk away regardless of the outcome.

I have nothing to hide and a clear conscience so why should I be concerned.

No sinister motive other than to help a lost child.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There's was a man hunt in our village a few years ago when some kids stated a van had pulled over and tried to k.nap them.

It turned out the driver was lost and had asked for directions.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My youngest sister has 3 kids and lives in Tokyo. If she takes them to the city she makes sure they're wearing their trackers - one has a watch and the other two have pendants and she can track them on her phone. I think these are a must for any child in a city these days.

over a year ago

The question you should ask is if you abandon that child to their own devices and something horrid does to them. Could you look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of your actions or inactions. Be sensible, always stay public and ask others (preferably shop security staff, police, female) to assist so you are protecting yourself but never let a child walk into more potential harm!

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

I think whatever my own concerns were about the possible consequences, they would be overridden by my basic humanity. I couldn't see a child alone and in distress and not do something.

over a year ago

"The question you should ask is if you abandon that child to their own devices and something horrid does to them. Could you look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of your actions or inactions. Be sensible, always stay public and ask others (preferably shop security staff, police, female) to assist so you are protecting yourself but never let a child walk into more potential harm!"

Not sure the assumption that all women are ok is particularly safe.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

Years ago I would have chatted to the child and tried to find the parent or take their hand and report them as a lost child to the store security. These days I would probably just report a lost child and point them out rather than trying to handle the situation myself. People are so suspicious nowadays of anyone having ulterior motives where children are concerned.

over a year ago

"The question you should ask is if you abandon that child to their own devices and something horrid does to them. Could you look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of your actions or inactions. Be sensible, always stay public and ask others (preferably shop security staff, police, female) to assist so you are protecting yourself but never let a child walk into more potential harm!

Not sure the assumption that all women are ok is particularly safe."

No, but so long as you know you are safe to be around children society wrongly or rightly looks at women as being safer and I suspect they statistically are. I didn't say leave the child with the other person and finding a female as a man is more about safeguarding yourself and public perception.

over a year ago

I would talk to the child, and if no parent was around hold their hand and walk to somewhere where a call could be put out.

I know I would do no harm, but if I walk away someone else may have different intentions, and by ignoring the situation I would be guilty of neglect.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

A few years ago, I spotted a young child on the beach, walking along obviously very distressed.

He had been paddling, lost his bearings, couldn't find his mum.

I told him we'd look.

He took my hand. We walked along, me calling out to people.

W

Next thing I was grabbed from behind, slammed to the floor!

Only the actions of a group of people I'd just spoke to prevented the mum from laying into me thinking I was taking her child

Would I do the same again?

Yes

I'd rather take a slap than leave a child in distress

over a year ago

I'd directly ask the child if he lost his parents, then I'd go with him to the mall security office to report it

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Yes, I would help the child, and I have done so before too. A child was sat on the floor in Asda crying mum, I went and spoke him. Mum came running over and told me he was having a tantrum so she walked off. Poor little boy thought his mum had left him, my heart broke.

By *teveNW81Man
over a year ago

wigan

"I was reading in the news about another one of those ridiculously stupid "social experiments" where they left a child "looking lost" in front of a busy shopping mall. In 45 minutes only 7 people stopped. The comments section revealed that most people, especially men, said that they would be concerned of being accused of something if they stopped and talked to a child on it's own. Personally, I wouldn't have approached the child, but would have called the police and observed from a distance. What would you have done?"

This has happened to me with an actual lost child. I stopped the first woman i saw and told her the situation and she appoached the child whilst i watched from afar before leaving when everything seemed under control.

over a year ago

I'd have approached the child but stayed a few feet back so as not to frighten him/her. I understand you have to be careful nowadays incase people get the wrong idea, but if I genuinely thought a child was lost and in trouble I would throw caution to the wind and help the little munchkin find their parents

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

How can anyone walk away from a lost or hurt child. Where is the humanity in that....

What others may say or think of me matters naught to protecting another, especially a child in distress.

Those who think such things are the ones with the problem, not those who would protect a child, irrespective of how certain others may interpret such actions.

If I walk by and do nothing just what sort of human am I?....

over a year ago

"Slightly different...

But back in the 60s my dad and his mate “found” a young lady (late teen) in a distressed state after being r***d, Dad and his friend helped her called police etc..

My father always said if he was in that situation again he would walk away and not assist. I do not know the full ins and outs, but makes you wonder what happened for him to have that outlook if he was ever in that situation again.

It’s not always about human kindness, it’s about the consequences and aftermath, and how the “system” and authorities treat the savour

"

Wouldn't the young lady have been able to confirm they were helping her and not offenders?

As for lost kids, have always stopped and helped/ re-located parents, as overtly as possible..

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

Glad to see the majority here would get involved for the sake of the child.

I certainly would everytime. If I ever put myself above the safety of a child, then I have failed at being human.

over a year ago

Lots of children where I live look 'lost' but that is just because their mother is too busy staring at her phone and updating her Facebook.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"I think whatever my own concerns were about the possible consequences, they would be overridden by my basic humanity. I couldn't see a child alone and in distress and not do something. "

this for me too.. well said

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

"Lots of children where I live look 'lost' but that is just because their mother is too busy staring at her phone and updating her Facebook."
sad but very true

over a year ago

Wouldn't think twice about helping! I have done! Quite happily hold a distress child's hand without thinking ... happily pick up a little distressed child without thinking! What is wrong with people!

My daughter got lost when she was about 3 and I was so happy to find her being taken to lost property holding hands with a lady chatting way. Glad to say neither were in the slightest way distressed!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Observe to confirm my suspicion then speak. If it seemed a long time since guardian seen, I'd call the police and wait.

In 45 minutes a lot of people may have seen others assisting, so it may not indicate that people ignored the child

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Slightly different...

"

There was a radio programme on Radio 4 a few years back about a r**e and murder of a young woman in the late 50s. The murder was never solved but they talked to people from the area who were affected by it, including the son of a gentleman who had been arrested, accused and charged with the murder. Eventually the case was thrown out of court but the effect it had on him and his family was so traumatic it affected the guy for the rest of his life. It was so bad he kept a diary of his every waking hour, what his movements were, who he spoke to and who else was there.

Post new Message to Thread