Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Girlie Girls and Laddish Lads

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Were you as a child a typical young girl or boy in the sense of always wearing pink or blue? Did you play with sex (boy/girl) related toys?

eg, girls did you play with dolls & fairies. boys did you play with action men and diggers?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r funtimesMan
over a year ago

rochdale

lol had 3 action men and spent most of my days playing with them!!!!!! grew up and joined the army!!!!!!

By *ub bbwWoman
over a year ago

oldbury

i guess i was more of a boys girl if thats the right way to put it my older brother always had cooler toys than me his action man base and hovercraft was so much better than my sindy and barbies they were girlie and didnt do anything his toys were much more exciting

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

as a child, i did play with diggers etc

i was 40 before i bought my first 'girls world'

By *ath-N-DelCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow area

Never been a "girlie" girl...

Wasn't a tom boy...

When we were younger we were always outside playing....

over a year ago

I was born in the late 50's when toys were very gender specific so it was all boys toys that I got. I had an action man when they came out but aren't they just dollies for boys?? The toys I like now are usually made of latex, have batteries or are strapped to a buxom lady!!!

over a year ago

I should add that i was super girlie as a child, polly pockets, my little pony, dolls and prams, play kitchen, care bears, and pretty much all my clothes were pink dresses or skirts, tights or ankle socks with bows. very femanine

I've just been into the shop with my little one and she picked up a Thomas the Tank engine magazine and i'm noticing how she is into pirates, cars & her garage. Im all for the mix of 'boys' toys and 'girls' toys, its only encouraging her imagination

over a year ago

"I was born in the late 50's when toys were very gender specific "

Thats was the phrase i was after 'gender specific' sadly i can't re write my opening post..

over a year ago

I was a real tom boy hated being dressed up and loved playing football and playing with my brothers lego did have a few barbies but i tended to chop their hair off lol. Still a tomboy at heart and most of my friends are guys.

over a year ago

"Were you as a child a typical young girl or boy in the sense of always wearing pink or blue? Did you play with sex (boy/girl) related toys?

eg, girls did you play with dolls & fairies. boys did you play with action men and diggers?"

I had model cars, a train set... loved my cars.. I did also have my little ponies and flower faries. Didnt have dolls as I didnt want kids( hahaha seeing as I have 6)

I never ever wore dresses.. or pink.. yet now I am often found in pink and skirts etc.. but then Master loves me being dressed in a certain way.

I dont think it makes much difference.. when I worked in a nursery the boys would often play with the dolls stuff and the girls the construction stuff.. but they would all play with different things at some point.

cali

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My sister was the worst tom boy ever, infact today she would probley be classed as being born in the wrong body.

I was more of a girl but not a girly girl.

Callums toys where mainly none gender specific, i purposely didnt buy him sterotype toys. He had a kitchen and a doll at one point. I wouldnt let him have guns or swords and such like yet first day at nursery he made a gun out of wood and went round shooting everyone. He turned into a typical boy but is definetly in touch with his feminine side

over a year ago

i was always bought quite gender specific toys as it was the 70s and i guess that was just how it was but i was definately much more of a tom boy i just loved being outdoors climbing trees and riding bikes, i grew up in a small village where there was more boys than girls my age so i think all the girls ended up being more tom boyish as we all played together

over a year ago

Always was, and still am in some respects, a bit of a tom boy. Think it's stood me in good stead for some of the questions that are coming out of my 12yr old sons mouth at the moment

Used to love climbing trees or playing the boys games British Bull Dog etc (could've been the wrestling with the boys that I enjoyed though)

By *ath-N-DelCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow area

When we were kids we only asked for toys from Santa ...IF I asked for a "boys" toy I never got it...

Kids now ask all the time...So they play with a variety of things....

If kids have brothers and sisters they get to play with other toys, but if an only child, they will only get what is considered suitable for them, and if the parents think cars are not a suitable toy for their little princess, she won't get one and vice versa for the boys...

over a year ago

"I was born in the late 50's when toys were very gender specific

Thats was the phrase i was after 'gender specific' sadly i can't re write my opening post.. "

yes "gender specific", sickeningly PC wasn't I?, I must go and lie down for a while

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Apparently at age 3 i rammed my dolls pram into a wall causing my dolly to fly from pram into road where it was run over by passing car.....my fave toy when older was my raleigh chopper (n still love a good chopper to this day) Incidentally, never had kids - likely for the best pmsl. Def bit of a tomboy

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

As a kid I always wanted a Scalextric and was never given one.

When I started work, what was the furst thing I saved for and bought.............. yep a Scarlextric

over a year ago

I was both, had dolls, teddies and tea-sets for dolly picnics. But also had my Action man with tanks and helicopter.

Loved climbing trees as much as pushing me pram with the family cat stuffed in it wearing a frilly bonnet (the cat, not me)

over a year ago

"As a kid I always wanted a Scalextric and was never given one.

When I started work, what was the furst thing I saved for and bought.............. yep a Scarlextric"

and you've been going round in circles ever since !

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

"Were you as a child a typical young girl or boy in the sense of always wearing pink or blue? Did you play with sex (boy/girl) related toys?

eg, girls did you play with dolls & fairies. boys did you play with action men and diggers?"

Suppose I was a typical girl.

Didn't really have lots of toys as my parents couldn't afford them when we were younger. Certainly didn't do us any harm.

In the summer spent most of my time playing in the garden making magic potions or role playing (by myself) Loved the film Calamity Jane so was often based around that.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I didnt even think about my femininity until i was about 13 or 14, up until then i was very much a tom boy..then i discovered high heeled shoes and the rest is history

over a year ago

I was always a girly girl, I had no option really because my mum had waited for a girl for many years and I finally came along when she was 40.

I didn't own any trousers and was dressed in pink with big bows of ribbon in my hair and at the back of my dresses with lace petticoats. My hair was long and curly and my mum teased my curls into long ringlets. I looked like Bonnie Langford. I have two older brothers, I was not allowed to go in mud or go anywhere near trees, which we had in our garden or play football. Never felt hard done to as I just accepted it. Never wanted to do those things.

I only had girls toys and loved prams and dolls. My biggest love was dressing up and I would regularly have my mums shoes on, her blouses worn as dresses or old net curtains wrapped around me like a long gown and her jewellery and carry her handbags around. I'd have loved to have the dressing up princess outfits that they have today.

I did prefer fashion dolls to baby dolls. My mum had a collection of Henry VIIIs wives and they wore beautiful gowns. I was very good with toys, never damaged them or ever cut my dolls hair.

So to all intents and purposes I have not changed one bit as an adult

over a year ago

Was qyite unaware and unconcerned about what I was wearing. Except on Sundays when it was best dress for church n all that and you had to be careful.

Toys? Hmmmm one of 8 so we had access all areas. Didn't play that much with toys, more up the park, across the meadows, cycling in the woods type kids.

Had an elephant for bed though and a nice long trunk too.

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

i was a tomboy,i had three bros and four male cousins

i was ace at football,and if we have a family gathering i still play a game of footie with the lads

then at 14 got my first pair of heels and never looked back

will never forget the look on my oldest bros face when i came down stairs in a mini skirt and heels for the school disco

Post new Message to Thread