Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is this a scam? Your thoughts pls...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A woman friend of mine met someone on a dating site. He is a Caucasian french man but lives in Ivory Coast. He works there.

He is 44, wife died 5 years ago and not been with anyone since. He would like to settle down with my friend.

He was recently mugged by 4 men

And they took his passport and money from him. Not sure why he said that.

I told my friend this guy sounds like a scammer. What do you all think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

"A woman friend of mine met someone on a dating site. He is a Caucasian french man but lives in Ivory Coast. He works there.

He is 44, wife died 5 years ago and not been with anyone since. He would like to settle down with my friend.

I told my friend this guy sounds like a scammer. What do you all think?"

Just tell her not to send him money, easy peasy.

over a year ago

"

Just tell her not to send him money, easy peasy."

She told him she has no money but he says he is lucky to have her. Why would he do that if he’s a scammer?

By *asha xTV/TS
over a year ago

west london

I would not send any money at all

By *aven RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

She told him she has no money but he says he is lucky to have her. Why would he do that if he’s a scammer?"

To gain her trust and let her guard down x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"

She told him she has no money but he says he is lucky to have her. Why would he do that if he’s a scammer?"

To gain her trust etc then wham....

It’s not rocket science

By *ubsteffTV/TS
over a year ago

Portsmouth

He’s going to ask for money. Guaranteed!

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

Wtf really you have to ask this question

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Scam.

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

crewe

My long lost uncle in Zambia sent me an email today saying I inherited £10million, so I don’t mind helping out

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

"

If she's stupid enough to believe that then it's kind of get own fault.

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

"

She told him she has no money but he says he is lucky to have her. Why would he do that if he’s a scammer?

If she's stupid enough to believe that then it's kind of get own fault. "

Her, not get.

over a year ago

I don’t have any doubts guys. But this lady is saying he could be genuine.

What’s the best way to convince her?

over a year ago

"My long lost uncle in Zambia sent me an email today saying I inherited £10million, so I don’t mind helping out "

LOL.

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

"My long lost uncle in Zambia sent me an email today saying I inherited £10million, so I don’t mind helping out "
all you have to do is get 1

£10k to my bank account

over a year ago

"I don’t have any doubts guys. But this lady is saying he could be genuine.

What’s the best way to convince her?"

Is she that dumb?

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

"

To gain her trust and let her guard down x"

By *uzukiNo1Woman
over a year ago

Rhyl

"

Don't think he,s finished yet......... scamming women for money doesn't happen in a couple of days, you watch she,ll either get a loan out or ask family to lend her the money.....

over a year ago

I've had loads if these emails over the last 6weeks. My email got hacked. I am almost a trillionaire... so trump you, sorry

over a year ago

Tell her go to any police station and tell them. Women are been fleeced by this guys everyday. It's complete bullshit. He is probably sitting in a room with 20 other guys who are chatting to women telling them the same.

Where's his family and friends to help him out. Tell her to cop the hell on. Enough tv programs and reports online telling stories of women who were caught out.

By *ecky400TV/TS
over a year ago

/highlands

This same thing was in last weekends paper. Same thing asking for money wife and family killed. Needed money to get away. The woman has lost over 20 grand. Her life is ruined. She cant even fsce family or tell them. Scam xx

over a year ago

"Tell her go to any police station and tell them. Women are been fleeced by this guys everyday. It's complete bullshit. He is probably sitting in a room with 20 other guys who are chatting to women telling them the same.

Where's his family and friends to help him out. Tell her to cop the hell on. Enough tv programs and reports online telling stories of women who were caught out."

This is what I don’t get. Do women (mostly) not watch the programmes on telly about this stuff?

over a year ago

"Tell her go to any police station and tell them. Women are been fleeced by this guys everyday. It's complete bullshit. He is probably sitting in a room with 20 other guys who are chatting to women telling them the same.

Where's his family and friends to help him out. Tell her to cop the hell on. Enough tv programs and reports online telling stories of women who were caught out."

Stacey Dooley did one didn't she? She met a guy, in basically a mud hut on his laptop scamming 100s of women.

OP get your friend to go on iplayer & look the episode up. It was on telly not that long ago.

over a year ago

"This same thing was in last weekends paper. Same thing asking for money wife and family killed. Needed money to get away. The woman has lost over 20 grand. Her life is ruined. She cant even fsce family or tell them. Scam xx"

Oh yeah forgot to add, his kids both died in a car crash. He is now counting his blessings at finding this lady.

over a year ago

Where's his family and friends to help him out. Tell her to cop the hell on. Enough tv programs and reports online telling stories of women who were caught out.

Stacey Dooley did one didn't she? She met a guy, in basically a mud hut on his laptop scamming 100s of women.

OP get your friend to go on iplayer & look the episode up. It was on telly not that long ago."

Ok thanks. I’ll do that tonight. She needs to wake up and I honestly think the government need to do a big awareness campaign. It’s happening too much to older women.

over a year ago

How old is this woman? Does she not watch the news, read papers or mags? If you can't convince her then all you can do is sit back and watch her lose every penny she has. Most days I have a computer virus, am being sued by HRMC, or am being told I have won a large amount of money in a competition I never entered. Bastards, the lot of them!

over a year ago

"How old is this woman? Does she not watch the news, read papers or mags? If you can't convince her then all you can do is sit back and watch her lose every penny she has. Most days I have a computer virus, am being sued by HRMC, or am being told I have won a large amount of money in a competition I never entered. Bastards, the lot of them! "

Thanks. Everyone should talk about this because a lot of women are getting into trouble by sending money over. It’s not small amounts either. Usually life savings etc.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I know a woman who has been sending money to a man 20 years her junior for the last 20 years. She sold her house and car and moved to a tiny holiday chalet. He still lives in his home country with his wife and the new tractor this woman bought him. He has had several "operations" and medical problems that this woman has paid for. He has visited her twice in this time.

She STILL won't believe that he's scamming her. Your friend won't believe you either op, she thinks she's the exception and this is real. She's vulnerable and whatever is missing from her life this guy appears to be offering it. He doesn't care that she has no money, he'll persuade her to borrow it.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/08/19 22:31:34]

over a year ago

Some people are best left to get on with it. If she doesn't listen to your warning and hasn't the sense to see it's a scam you can't do anything else. Some people are just dumb or vulnerable or both. Sad but true.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"I know a woman who has been sending money to a man 20 years her junior for the last 20 years. She sold her house and car and moved to a tiny holiday chalet. He still lives in his home country with his wife and the new tractor this woman bought him. He has had several "operations" and medical problems that this woman has paid for. He has visited her twice in this time.

She STILL won't believe that he's scamming her. Your friend won't believe you either op, she thinks she's the exception and this is real. She's vulnerable and whatever is missing from her life this guy appears to be offering it. He doesn't care that she has no money, he'll persuade her to borrow it."

jeez...20 yrs that's along time not to wise up in

over a year ago

"A woman friend of mine met someone on a dating site. He is a Caucasian french man but lives in Ivory Coast. He works there.

Unfortunately its screams Scam. The request for money will come soon .

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"How old is this woman? Does she not watch the news, read papers or mags? If you can't convince her then all you can do is sit back and watch her lose every penny she has. Most days I have a computer virus, am being sued by HRMC, or am being told I have won a large amount of money in a competition I never entered. Bastards, the lot of them!

Thanks. Everyone should talk about this because a lot of women are getting into trouble by sending money over. It’s not small amounts either. Usually life savings etc.

"

People do talk about it. One of the main problems as I see it is that people just don't believe they could be scammed. They warn others about the internet, tell their kids to be wary of strangers on line then walk into it with their eyes shut themselves. There have always been scammers like this,the net just makes it easier and more wide spread

over a year ago

"

Just got a slightly more sophisticated patter is all. The whole scenario stinks.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I know a woman who has been sending money to a man 20 years her junior for the last 20 years. She sold her house and car and moved to a tiny holiday chalet. He still lives in his home country with his wife and the new tractor this woman bought him. He has had several "operations" and medical problems that this woman has paid for. He has visited her twice in this time.

She STILL won't believe that he's scamming her. Your friend won't believe you either op, she thinks she's the exception and this is real. She's vulnerable and whatever is missing from her life this guy appears to be offering it. He doesn't care that she has no money, he'll persuade her to borrow it.

jeez...20 yrs that's along time not to wise up in"

I think it's probably got to the point that if she admitted it was a sham her world would crumble. She's in her late 70s

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I think it's probably got to the point that if she admitted it was a sham her world would crumble. She's in her late 70s"

Oh bless her...silly woman

By *ack Flash400Man
over a year ago

The Bat Cave

Well, if you fancy getting into the property market, I can sell you The Eiffel Tower for a reasonable sum!

over a year ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. She’s now realised he’s a scammer. Hopefully she’ll block him and move on.

over a year ago

"Thanks everyone for the advice. She’s now realised he’s a scammer. Hopefully she’ll block him and move on. "

Phew that was easy

By *ave-and-LouiseCouple
over a year ago

Torquay

Come on... This has scammer written all over it?

over a year ago

Ok I have found this article. Very similar story. A Frenchman called Jean who got mugged in Ivory Coast during a business trip.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-48639372

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

Fuk sake man waken up. There is an excuse for her. Loves blind!!

By the way i was robbed last week and i now need a life saving operation. Could you please give me your friends number? She sounds a lovely lady and it would be great if she could help me out. This isnt a scam either. Honest!!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Ok I have found this article. Very similar story. A Frenchman called Jean who got mugged in Ivory Coast during a business trip.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-48639372"

Have you showed your friend the article? Bearing in mind that the woman who sent the money actually warned her mother then sent money herself without telling anyone are you sure your friend hasn't just told you she knows it's a scam? After all you didn't wholly believe it was yourself initially

By *inn_the_humanMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

There's an organisation called "friends against scams" - you or your friend could go there to get more information.

The Equifax website has an excellent section on romance scams (Google "equifax how to spot and avoid romance scams"). Ask her to read this and see if it rings any bells.

Its a really hard situation. The scammer builds confidence over time and after a certain point it's really hard for the victim to admit anything is suspicious as there's an element of embarrassment at thinking they've been taken in.

I hope she gets her head cleared and avoids losing money here - it's a really horrible thing to have happen.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

"There's an organisation called "friends against scams" - you or your friend could go there to get more information.

The Equifax website has an excellent section on romance scams (Google "equifax how to spot and avoid romance scams"). Ask her to read this and see if it rings any bells.

Its a really hard situation. The scammer builds confidence over time and after a certain point it's really hard for the victim to admit anything is suspicious as there's an element of embarrassment at thinking they've been taken in.

I hope she gets her head cleared and avoids losing money here - it's a really horrible thing to have happen. "

It sounds like a scam OP.

They always target the vulnerable and gullible.

Please advice her to be careful.

over a year ago

"Ok I have found this article. Very similar story. A Frenchman called Jean who got mugged in Ivory Coast during a business trip.

Have you showed your friend the article? Bearing in mind that the woman who sent the money actually warned her mother then sent money herself without telling anyone are you sure your friend hasn't just told you she knows it's a scam? After all you didn't wholly believe it was yourself initially"

I always knew it was a scam. The reason for the questions here is to get ideas how to convince her that it’s a scam so she wakes up.

Yes I’ve sent her this article. She is reading it. I’ll keep sending her more so she becomes widened up.

I was friends with another woman few years ago and she was also played on by a guy from Ivory Coast claiming to be french but in Italy. I honestly have nothing against Ivory Coast but that time I saved the other woman as well by doing a trace on his Skype location whilst he was live chatting to her. She then blocked him.

It enrages me that these guys are scamming women who can afford to lose money the least.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

"

It enrages me that these guys are scamming women who can afford to lose money the least. "

Men too.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Have you showed your friend the article? Bearing in mind that the woman who sent the money actually warned her mother then sent money herself without telling anyone are you sure your friend hasn't just told you she knows it's a scam? After all you didn't wholly believe it was yourself initially

I always knew it was a scam. The reason for the questions here is to get ideas how to convince her that it’s a scam so she wakes up.

Yes I’ve sent her this article. She is reading it. I’ll keep sending her more so she becomes widened up.

I was friends with another woman few years ago and she was also played on by a guy from Ivory Coast claiming to be french but in Italy. I honestly have nothing against Ivory Coast but that time I saved the other woman as well by doing a trace on his Skype location whilst he was live chatting to her. She then blocked him.

It enrages me that these guys are scamming women who can afford to lose money the least. "

I see.

Your women friends are very unlucky with scammers

over a year ago

Turn the tables... get her to ask him to pay for her site supporter pass and forward him her Amazon wish list! Get her to promise him a pair of dirty knickers and a snapchat in return. We will soon see how committed he is!

Out of interest, does he have a dick pic on his dating site profile? Asking for a friend.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

lol gosh yes, scammer all over it!

over a year ago

This is what I don’t get. Do women (mostly) not watch the programmes on telly about this stuff?

"

Or have a brain

over a year ago

"Turn the tables... get her to ask him to pay for her site supporter pass and forward him her Amazon wish list! Get her to promise him a pair of dirty knickers and a snapchat in return. We will soon see how committed he is!

Out of interest, does he have a dick pic on his dating site profile? Asking for a friend. "

No dirty pics. Very decent profile. He simply said his wife died 5 years ago and kids died in a car crash soon after. Said he needs a woman to love and look after him. Then 3 days later said he got mugged by four guys who took his passport and cash. Then he said he couldn’t go to the french embassy or police because of torrential rain.

over a year ago

After reading the BBC News article my friend has agreed he has tried the exact same scam on her.

I wanted this thread to highlight these scams so others can help their friends avoid being scammed. Thanks for your responses guys.

over a year ago

He sounds nice.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

She should keep all copies of communication and report him to the dating website too, if not already done so.

over a year ago

I think you should grab your friend slap her round the face a few times shake her like a rag doll and tell her to wake the fuck up

over a year ago

sacre bleu sava bien mademoiselle, ferme la bushe

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

This is a case for Joe Lycett

over a year ago

"This is a case for Joe Lycett"

over a year ago

can I ask do you love this woman and want her for yourself as a girlfriend?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The sad thing is that its often decent, honourable people who are taken in by these scams. They believe them because it would never occur to them that anyone would lie like that

By *apiomanMan
over a year ago

Shipley

God yes.

over a year ago

"The sad thing is that its often decent, honourable people who are taken in by these scams. They believe them because it would never occur to them that anyone would lie like that"
look at this way when you go down to the woods today do the 3 bears ever get surprised to see you tied up

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The sad thing is that its often decent, honourable people who are taken in by these scams. They believe them because it would never occur to them that anyone would lie like thatlook at this way when you go down to the woods today do the 3 bears ever get surprised to see you tied up "

Who's the scammer in your scenario, me or the bears?

By *ucky24Man
over a year ago

Lowestoft

First thought - Scammer

Second thought - Scammer

All you can do is be a good friend and point this out.

A good friend tells you the things you need to hear not the things you want to hear.

Just hope she listens and wisens up.

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

Sounds has though this poor cunt as no luck at all .. I send him all my money, that I spent last night and the deeds to my garden shed, I live in a 3rd floor flat, and, oh and just incase he decides to travel, I’d also send him a dingy with an ole in it

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

She STILL won't believe that he's scamming her. Your friend won't believe you either op, she thinks she's the exception and this is real. She's vulnerable and whatever is missing from her life this guy appears to be offering it. He doesn't care that she has no money, he'll persuade her to borrow it."

sad but true

over a year ago

It’s a scam. All day long, no two ways about it. He’s not white, he’s using fake photos, guaranteed. Tell your friend to go along with it but not to get drawn in, she’ll get the request for money sooner or later. Tell her drop into conversation that her granny has died and left the family jewels. You could have a lot of fun with these fuckers but tell her under no circumstances to fall for it, they’re very good confidence tricksters these people.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/09/19 11:12:14]

over a year ago

"The sad thing is that its often decent, honourable people who are taken in by these scams. They believe them because it would never occur to them that anyone would lie like thatlook at this way when you go down to the woods today do the 3 bears ever get surprised to see you tied up

Who's the scammer in your scenario, me or the bears?"

I'd say the bears you only see fugly bears in my neck of woods

over a year ago

Guys,

1 - my friend has blocked him and reported him to the dating site.

2 - I then messaged him onnwhysapp and told him to stop scamming women. This is what he wrote to me word for word;

‘’Hello I do not know who you are, and I do not know what your friend told you but let me tell you that in no way I tried to take money from him all she told you about me are lies and nothing but lies, ask him if I asked him for help or asked him for money.

So stop telling me about anything. Okay ‘’

over a year ago

I then gave him an earful and asked him why he told her he loves her before even meeting her in person and that scammers are giving the Ivory Coast a very bad name. He then argued with me and later blocked me.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

that's the end of that then

over a year ago

Phew!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I then gave him an earful and asked him why he told her he loves her before even meeting her in person and that scammers are giving the Ivory Coast a very bad name. He then argued with me and later blocked me. "

yeah the guy who claimed to be from Microsoft and scammed my mum out of £200 argued with me and told me I had no manners when I spoke to him on the phone .

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Guys,

2 - I then messaged him onnwhysapp and told him to stop scamming women. This is what he wrote to me word for word;

‘’Hello I do not know who you are, and I do not know what your friend told you but let me tell you that in no way I tried to take money from him all she told you about me are lies and nothing but lies, ask him if I asked him for help or asked him for money.

So stop telling me about anything. Okay ‘’"

I thought your friend was a woman ?

over a year ago

"Guys,

So stop telling me about anything. Okay ‘’

I thought your friend was a woman ? "

That’s why I said word for word. He definitely has bad English. I think they speak french in Ivory Coast? It used to be a french colony. That’s why they pretend to be white handsome french men all the time because they think English women want that type of bloke.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

He should be in contact with the French embassy, to manage his passport situation etc. If you have never met someone, it is absolutely not your responsibility to help people out of their troubles etc.

From a dating perspective, she would be better to suggest that he sorts out his position and he may wish to contact her when he's done so and will be travelling to and staying in a high grade of accommodation in the UK that he is paying for.

She must withdraw contact to ensure she does not get sucked in any further. It sounds like a scam that is run very frequently. I'd probably change my email address and block him on the dating site. Increasing amounts of money will be requested. She must not even send 1p.

By *arren the doggerMan
over a year ago

willenhall

If your friend is that desperate for a shag pass on my details !!

By *es-sMan
over a year ago

Rugby

Bloody hell we both have uncle's in Zambia what a coincidence.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The UK has a service called Action Fraud. Their website has contact and help information. It's a national service run by the police that has lots of expertise in how these frauds operate.. She should make contact with them and get support.

She ought to just be using dating sites locally and only engaging with local men, however lonely or in need of male company or contact. She sounds potentially too vulnerable to be using a very long distance match making service.

By *abydollxxWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham - Selly oak

Sounds like a scam.

Reverse image search his picture. Chances are it won't match who he's saying he is.

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Surprised no one else picked this up....

44 year old French Caucasian male going without for 5 years......

That 1 statement should have sent warning signals...

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

That sounds alll so plausible not!!!

over a year ago

Sounds dodgy as fook tbh

over a year ago

I got chatting to a guy on another site, chatted for 6months on whatsapp, all of a sudden he asked me for €200 with a BS story that his son was sick and needed medical attention. This guy was apparently a Doctor lol so was obviously on a good salary, he pleaded and pleaded with me to send him the cask wtf... hence he was blocked !!!

over a year ago

OP get your friend to go on iplayer & look the episode up. It was on telly not that long ago.

Ok thanks. I’ll do that tonight. She needs to wake up and I honestly think the government need to do a big awareness campaign. It’s happening too much to older women. "

It's not happening only to older women. My girlfriend was unlucky to meet a guy like that a few months ago too and she's 25. She's Slovakian and he's Italian, they both worked at the same place in Slovakia, started dating for about 2 months before he said that his mom is sick and he needs to go to England where his mom lives to be with her. Allegedly his mom died and he needed money to get her to the cemetery in Italy. My friend lost almost 4k, she didn't leave it that way and went to police...guy is now in prison for at least 2 years and she also found out he scammed 4 more people and all together got around 8k from them.

I hope your friend will open your eyes and see the real face of the guy who's trying to hurt her both financially and emotionally.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"I got chatting to a guy on another site, chatted for 6months on whatsapp, all of a sudden he asked me for €200 with a BS story that his son was sick and needed medical attention. This guy was apparently a Doctor lol so was obviously on a good salary, he pleaded and pleaded with me to send him the cask wtf... hence he was blocked !!! "

Surely the answer to that was

Physician heal thy son

over a year ago

You said he works on Ivory Coast... so he won't need to ask for money will he, he will be able to get a new passport and his money will be replaced by his wages...

If he asks for money or something else, he is using her end of.

By *eKoopleCouple
over a year ago

Germany / Manchester

A woman “friend” of yours OP? Admit it, you are the one who’s been duped.

over a year ago

If that it is not a scammer, Clem is right about Turkish barber shop.

If your friend believe that he is genuine, she is vulnerable and need your help

over a year ago

"

To gain her trust and let her guard down x"

over a year ago

Guys, as I gave an update above, the lady I know has blocked him and reported him to the dating site. But he will likely open a new profile.

One reason for this post on Fab was to raise awareness because in the last few years I have helped three different women avoid scammers. They were older women who fell for younger guys on dating sites.

Since this post a two women have messaged me telling their experience with scammers.

over a year ago

A classic scam introduction the request for financial help will follow.

over a year ago

I told my friend this guy sounds like a scammer. What do you all think?

A classic scam introduction the request for financial help will follow."

SCAMMER ALERT !!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"The UK has a service called Action Fraud. Their website has contact and help information. It's a national service run by the police that has lots of expertise in how these frauds operate.. She should make contact with them and get support.

She ought to just be using dating sites locally and only engaging with local men, however lonely or in need of male company or contact. She sounds potentially too vulnerable to be using a very long distance match making service. "

Action Fraud, that I mentioned, are online via actionfraud.police if you search for them. They offer online chat, there's a phone no listed to talk through concerns and get advice as well as an online advice/reporting tool, for various fraud types, including romance fraud (via dating sites, to obtain money). I suggest that she speaks with officers from that police department who are specialists in fraud, who will give her direct clear advice.

By *iddlesticksMan
over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

Scammer all the way.

over a year ago

"The UK has a service called Action Fraud. Their website has contact and help information. It's a national service run by the police that has lots of expertise in how these frauds operate.. She should make contact with them and get support.

Thanks for this information, there's so many out there preying on vulnerable women, I'm shocked at how many actually fall for it

She ought to just be using dating sites locally and only engaging with local men, however lonely or in need of male company or contact. She sounds potentially too vulnerable to be using a very long distance match making service.

Action Fraud, that I mentioned, are online via actionfraud.police if you search for them. They offer online chat, there's a phone no listed to talk through concerns and get advice as well as an online advice/reporting tool, for various fraud types, including romance fraud (via dating sites, to obtain money). I suggest that she speaks with officers from that police department who are specialists in fraud, who will give her direct clear advice. "

By *xtractsMan
over a year ago

Mids

Tell them that they’ve Million on the Ivory Coast State Lottery.

Say if you send $500 dollars to account 012345 & 87654321 by bank transfer & email imasucker@totrue.com then the funds will be released.

If your fortunate enough to get the 500 then say sorry but the 500 did not include the local tax (50%) for overseas transfers.

If he’s a complete and utter dildo & sends then say, ‘your payment is subject to import tax in the uk’ currently that’s 100% from any funds transferred from the African nation.

Enjoy

over a year ago

My thoughts are yes it’s a scam

By *xtractsMan
over a year ago

Mids

No no no

Scam the scammer !!!

Few years ago an idiot saying be was from the bank of Nigeria rang saying I’d won 1 Million asked to transfer so I could collect, I gave him incorext card number about 20 time over a course of a month.

Declined, declined, declined etc etc.

Then he became abusive & said he’s got my address. I replied ‘is that really how an employee of the Nigerian lottery would speak’

Tell you what, you pay the money and you keep the million.

End of, no more calls, enjoyable tho

By *ambornemanMan
over a year ago

In your town now

Definitely a scam

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

A lady I work with took a loan of £20k out to pay off someone who started off wanting to spend his life with her but turned threatening. She was too scared to go to the police. We all told her that it was a scam but sadly she didn't listen.

Some people just don't want to hear the truth I'm afraid.

Is she single? Desperate to find someone? My colleague was.

over a year ago

No its not........ End of

over a year ago

There are plenty of clips online of scammers getting a taste of their own medicine..It's a joy to watch them lose their rag when outed and alot of them having their computer files destroyed.

over a year ago

"

Is she single? Desperate to find someone? My colleague was."

I think she got duped by the pictures and language he used. But another thing is she is new to the online dating scene and needed this experience in order to wake up. But she has certainly woken up now.

over a year ago

We're related

over a year ago

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for the advice and keeping this thread alive. Hopefully more women can become aware of this type of grooming scam.

It’s important that we look out for vulnerable people in everyday life who may live near us or work with us etc

over a year ago

I think it's probably got to the point that if she admitted it was a sham her world would crumble. She's in her late 70s

Oh bless her...silly woman"

Since she sold her house she has no money. If everyone sends me £1,000 I'll pass it on to help her survive. Hopefully it will be enough

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"

I think she got duped by the pictures and language he used. But another thing is she is new to the online dating scene and needed this experience in order to wake up. But she has certainly woken up now. "

Op - has she ended the contact with him now and won't continue with anything further, however lonely etc that she feels, or if he persists somehow?

over a year ago

"

I think she got duped by the pictures and language he used. But another thing is she is new to the online dating scene and needed this experience in order to wake up. But she has certainly woken up now.

Op - has she ended the contact with him now and won't continue with anything further, however lonely etc that she feels, or if he persists somehow? "

Thank you for asking. She first blocked him on the dating site and WhatsApp etc.

I then took his number and asked him why he scams women etc. He denied it but I told him I have read the messages etc from her phone... then he blocked me. So he poses no more danger to her now. I’ll ask her in a few days if he’s tried again.

By *eal_curves_is_backWoman
over a year ago

London

Why do they have to be so obvious?

over a year ago

"Why do they have to be so obvious? "

She said last week he suddenly messaged her from a new number and said his phone was stolen and he thought he had lost her forever.

Then apparently he went on the dating site messages and got her number just to contact her again.

That’s how he tried to win her trust by showing emotion in a subtle way.

These guys are very clever.

over a year ago

He is an 'MC Hammer' lol.

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for the advice and keeping this thread alive. Hopefully more women can become aware of this type of grooming scam.

It’s important that we look out for vulnerable people in everyday life who may live near us or work with us etc"

Indeed. My elderly mother in-law was nearly duped into allowing ‘tradesmen’ whom claimed to have done work for her before, into repairing ‘cracks’ in her ridge tiles. Luckily, she had the mind to contact us and we soon sent them on their way, when they came back to do the job!

J

By *ilkenWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

"Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for the advice and keeping this thread alive. Hopefully more women can become aware of this type of grooming scam.

It’s important that we look out for vulnerable people in everyday life who may live near us or work with us etc"

Thanks for putting this thread up far too many scams like this on lonely people.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

" I honestly think the government need to do a big awareness campaign. It’s happening too much to older women. "

If your friend hasn't heard about this scam by this point, what makes you think she'll notice a government awareness campaign?

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

I see.

Your women friends are very unlucky with scammers"

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

Instascam

Come on, he might as well be telling her she’s inherited millions from an unknown relative in Nigeria.

Oh and she may have an internet virus that he can log in to and fix for her

over a year ago

"

If your friend hasn't heard about this scam by this point, what makes you think she'll notice a government awareness campaign?

"

For example the government can send a leaflet through every door in uk like they did before the Brexit referendum? With scam pictures next to blokes from Nigeria, Morocco and Ivory Coast?

I really think that could work.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

For example the government can send a leaflet through every door in uk like they did before the Brexit referendum? With scam pictures next to blokes from Nigeria, Morocco and Ivory Coast?

I really think that could work."

You read junk mail???? No, me neither. And I really don't think your friend is the type to read the Brexit propaganda pumped out by both sides, judging by her apparent lack of awareness.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

" I honestly think the government need to do a big awareness campaign. It’s happening too much to older women.

"

Scams work because people think they wouldn't be taken in by them. There have been awareness campaigns on t.v. with women who have been scammed telling their story, every single one of them say "he was so plausible".

over a year ago

"

You read junk mail???? No, me neither. And I really don't think your friend is the type to read the Brexit propaganda pumped out by both sides, judging by her apparent lack of awareness. "

You’re right, junk mail is not the way. But we need government level campaign to tackle this.

over a year ago

"

Scams work because people think they wouldn't be taken in by them. There have been awareness campaigns on t.v. with women who have been scammed telling their story, every single one of them say "he was so plausible"."

Big campaigns do work. A good slogan is needed. Something catchy that people will remember when browsing online for love and dates?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

You read junk mail???? No, me neither. And I really don't think your friend is the type to read the Brexit propaganda pumped out by both sides, judging by her apparent lack of awareness.

You’re right, junk mail is not the way. But we need government level campaign to tackle this.

"

The banks are advising people how to avoid scammers with posters in branches and information on their websites, there is an ad campaign to prevent people being scammed out of their pension pot but still it goes on. Scammers play into human vulnerabilities, greed, loneliness etc and twist it to their own end. Manipulation is a subtle and insidious thing that will never be eradicated

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Scams work because people think they wouldn't be taken in by them. There have been awareness campaigns on t.v. with women who have been scammed telling their story, every single one of them say "he was so plausible".

Big campaigns do work. A good slogan is needed. Something catchy that people will remember when browsing online for love and dates?"

Maybe the dating sites should have something in faqs

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

"

We already have something called "education" that the government provides.

over a year ago

"

We already have something called "education" that the government provides.

"

Lol. This is more targeted towards the vulnerable.

By *pagafocsMan
over a year ago

Madrid

Once I met on. Site a French girl who was also in Africa ( don't remember the country) and tried a kind of scam but I was very sure she was going to try so I kept talking to see how it was developed.

After a while she needed some money for the embassy so she could get some money from heritage of his recently dead dad... And so on...

So I told I can do a bank transfer to her french bank (of course she said no) and put some excuse and told give me your french bank account and sent you the money. She kept on silly excuses Nd asking for Western Union... After a long dealing I said her ok will end my Wester Union. So I told I already sent (which wasn't real) so she tried to pick it up and couldn't I make it long lasting telling bla bla... So pretended to send again (of course I didn't)... She was kind of suspicious and by that time I told I made a mistake I had no more money left and to collect my money from Wester Union I needed some so I collect and send her on the correct way... Of course never got an answer back...

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"

The banks are advising people how to avoid scammers with posters in branches and information on their websites, there is an ad campaign to prevent people being scammed out of their pension pot but still it goes on. Scammers play into human vulnerabilities, greed, loneliness etc and twist it to their own end. Manipulation is a subtle and insidious thing that will never be eradicated"

There's a bit of a problem with regards the banks in Wales... They're closing or have already closed many branches in smaller communities...

over a year ago

"Thanks everyone for the advice. She’s now realised he’s a scammer. Hopefully she’ll block him and move on. "

No no... string him along... but be aware she will get these scammers often as they now have her email address

over a year ago

It's not a scam I tell you confuse him speak Spanish

Post new Message to Thread