Cold callers

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How do you deal with cold callers?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Point o the sign on the door that says NO COLD CALLERS, then shut the door.

over a year ago

Phone or at the door?

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

"How do you deal with cold callers? "

Calls to the landline get completely ignored, friends and family never use it and we only have it because it comes with our virgin media package.

Calls to the mobile get screened. If I don’t know the number and I’m not waiting for a call I let it go to voicemail. Withheld numbers get rejected.

Cold callers to the house I simply say thank you for knocking but I’m not interested and then I close the door

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

depends on my mood but I try to be civil..we all need to make a living

over a year ago

"Phone or at the door?"

Both

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I had one of those "our records show you have been in a car accident" calls last week. I replied "yes, I have". They asked me what the outcome was. I replied that I was killed instantly, then hung up lol

over a year ago

"Phone or at the door?

Both "

Oh, if it’s by phone I still point to the sign on the door.

over a year ago

"depends on my mood but I try to be civil..we all need to make a living"

It's a hard way to make a living

over a year ago

Ignore any numbers I don't know on my mobile.

At the door, I look out the window, if I don't know them 9/10 I'll park my arse back on the couch and leave them in the pissing rain.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I don't get them.

over a year ago

"Phone or at the door?

Both

Oh, if it’s by phone I still point to the sign on the door."

Lol

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

Door to door not allowed anymore as for the phone I wind them up rotten and see how long I can keep them on the phone.

By *rofessor_MarcusMan
over a year ago

Chorley

[Removed by poster at 31/08/19 20:40:45]

By *rofessor_MarcusMan
over a year ago

Chorley

I've done it, I've knocked on peoples' doors selling local history books, you meet all sorts....

over a year ago

It depends if it's Jehovahs witnesses or Morman's. I welcome them in with open arms and a massive grin, that really confuses them and they usually politely decline the invite.

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I rarely get them but I try to let my other half deal with them, as I tend to lose my temper a bit if they get pushy.

over a year ago

"I had one of those "our records show you have been in a car accident" calls last week. I replied "yes, I have". They asked me what the outcome was. I replied that I was killed instantly, then hung up lol"

I had one of those calls recently asking me if I had any accidents. I said yes and I was transfered to someone else. I told him I fell off the bed trying to answer the phone.

He immediately hanged up.

over a year ago

"I've done it, I've knocked on peoples' doors selling local history books, you meet all sorts...."

I've done it too. I know how hard it is. You need balls to keep doing it.

I wouldnt be rude to anyone who turned up at my door, because I know how hard it is.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Be wary of the pushy ones. I had a couple of jokers who seemed insistant on coming inside for a chat about home security. Like all cold callers, I said no and goodbye.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

If I think they're genuine/ legitimate, I politely say I'm not interested and close the door/ hang up. If I think they're a scammer, I keep them on the line and talk to them for awhile to keep them away from a gullible person.

over a year ago

I answer and don't say anything... if it's a cold call machine it will hang up rather than connect to a operator. I then block the number. If they say hello, I'll ask who it is then say... "sorry it's not my phone, wait there and I'll get the owner"... then I just leave it until they realise no one is coming to speak to them and they hang up.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I ask phone callers to hold and play the radio for as long as it takes..

By *wingamajigsCouple
over a year ago

Folkestone

If its an insurance one i.e. I hear you have been in an accident I play along. When I reveal the accident I say something along the lines of a broken mug. The dissapointment can be heard down the line as the call is ended.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"How do you deal with cold callers?

Door to door not allowed anymore as for the phone I wind them up rotten and see how long I can keep them on the phone."

I chatted a Jawdee lass up for over an hour a few years back. Not sure that the phone call was recorded for training purposes though

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

Another thing I've done is when someone phones and asks for me by name. I ask "which one, me or my dad?" (We have the same name). They reply, "oh, your dad", to which they get "sorry, he's not here". I neglect to tell them I live 15 miles away from my parents lol

over a year ago

I recieved a text message from who I thought was the DVLA informing me that I was owed money for car tax.

It looked very legit and there was a site to reply back to. But when I went to the DVLA they said it was a con.

Beware people.

By *rAngleseyMan
over a year ago

Anglesey

Unplug the house phone.

Don`t answer unknown numbers on your mobile.

Answer the door naked to anyone you don`t know (I did this with jw`s & they haven`t been back since)

over a year ago

Mobile .. calls are screened and ignored if not someone i know. Landlines unplugged.

I never answer a knock at the door unless im expecting someone.

over a year ago

bring them in warm them up

over a year ago

I get a few calls a week at my office, I like to to tell them I’d like to sell them something. And when they decline I don’t take no for an answer and ramble on about the merits of some made up product. The more ludicrous the better. And I bang on long enough that they hang up on me not other way round.

I actually find it quite an amusing part of my day now where as I used to get annoyed by them calling me.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I get a few calls a week at my office, I like to to tell them I’d like to sell them something. And when they decline I don’t take no for an answer and ramble on about the merits of some made up product. The more ludicrous the better. And I bang on long enough that they hang up on me not other way round.

I actually find it quite an amusing part of my day now where as I used to get annoyed by them calling me. "

Great line...love it

over a year ago

I was getting them non stop for a while there so I have one of those old lady 'no cold callers' signs now too

By *thena123Woman
over a year ago

Swansea

I give my phone to the kids they can talk a glass eye to sleep, and if they come to the door I shout down I have a stomach bug if i do t get there before the kids answer it, if i answer the door I say sorry not today I'm trying to pluck a chicken....workd a treat everytime

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Home phone, I have private numbers blocked, mobile, if I don't recognise the number it gets ignored, if no message left, it's blocked, simple!

By *osie xWoman
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Bottle of fake blood by the front door. Spray your hands and open the door panicking saying ‘omg he wouldn’t die, did Freddie send you for the clean up?’

Lol ok maybe not

over a year ago

"Bottle of fake blood by the front door. Spray your hands and open the door panicking saying ‘omg he wouldn’t die, did Freddie send you for the clean up?’

Lol ok maybe not "

Whatever works for you

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"depends on my mood but I try to be civil..we all need to make a living

It's a hard way to make a living "

isn't it just

By *xperimentalistMan
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"you've had an accident recently". Reply: yes, how did you know, it was only half an hour ago. I knocked a bloke off his bike. He's still lying there, I can see him, I don't know if he's alive or not. I can't ring the police and ambulance until the alcohol in my blood has gone down.

Complete silence followed by the phone being hung up at the other end and never contacted again.

You have to get a level of panic into your voice.

over a year ago

I don't answer numbers I don't know so never have to deal with them. Much like my fab messages

over a year ago

"I don't answer numbers I don't know so never have to deal with them. Much like my fab messages"

And I don't answer the door to cold callers either. You cab spot them a mile off!

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

I have a sign on the door --

Retired person lives here.

Done everything

Seen everything

Can talk for hours about it

only knock if you have 3hrs spare

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

I usually play the 'yes/no/hello' game. just answer everything they say with one of the above and with their script they read from you can usually waste a good couple of minutes of their time.

I also like to confuse them by trying to ask them questions about their recent accident.

Sometimes i talk to them in a dodgy foreign accent- claiming i don't speak much English, only Francais/German/Klingon.

occasionally i pretend i've been locked in a room, whispering to them to help me and call the police, but quickly as they're coming back to beat me again.

I'm still waiting for the perfect opportunity to just fart down the phone....never have one ready when i bloody need it though!

Once i've broken them, i just block their number

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

"Unplug the house phone.

Answer the door naked to anyone you don`t know (I did this with jw`s & they haven`t been back since)"

No 1 : tick

No 2 : tick

No 3 :

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

I had a guy saying he was from that government pension advice line, to go through my pension.

I said I'd make an appointment with him as long as it was at the CAB offices or Barclays bank.

He shut up

over a year ago

I have answered a few phone cold callers with "Good morning/afternoon/evening Battersea Dogs Home, how may I help you?" Would love to say something on the lines of " Prunella's Den Of Sin, how can I help?" But the words don't come out

over a year ago

"Unplug the house phone.

Answer the door naked to anyone you don`t know (I did this with jw`s & they haven`t been back since)"

I had jw call on me, around midday on a Christmas Eve, when my 3 kids were younger. I had just stripped their beds & mine. I was hot & sweaty, hair scraped off my face & still in my nightshirt. Being flustered, I just opened the door, to see 2 ladies. One eyed me up & down in disgust. I politely declined them, but got another disgusted look. So shouted out as they walked away "Have a wonderful blessed Christmas" Not seen any again since then

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Ill keep them on the phone as long as possible. Whilst they sre talking to me, they cant be bothering anyone else.

I got one guy with an indian accent telling me i had a problem with my laptop. I told him i didnt have one. He said it was my pc then. Ok i said, whats the problem? Its a virus on your windows he said. I dont have windows i replied. Oh, i see, its a mac then? No, i told him. Its a commodore 64. He went very quiet.

My mum got one last week, again with an indian accent. We are from BT and you havent paid your bill. Unless you make a payment, you will be cut off within the next few hours. She hung up and rang me to tell me, sounding worried. I told her, if anyone rings requesting anything to do with money, tell them to naff off. But if "BT" ring again asking for payments, tell them you dont have a phone.

over a year ago

"I recieved a text message from who I thought was the DVLA informing me that I was owed money for car tax.

It looked very legit and there was a site to reply back to. But when I went to the DVLA they said it was a con.

Beware people. "

There's a lot of scams like that. Don't click on links.

The pension scam warning advert on the telly makes me sad.

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

"I recieved a text message from who I thought was the DVLA informing me that I was owed money for car tax.

Beware people.

The pension scam warning advert on the telly makes me sad. "

My advice if you get something like that, or a phone call for that matter, is to go to the official website or tell the caller you'll call back on their website's listed number.

over a year ago

Beware people.

The pension scam warning advert on the telly makes me sad.

My advice if you get something like that, or a phone call for that matter, is to go to the official website or tell the caller you'll call back on their website's listed number."

Also call the listed number on a different phone. Sometimes they can hold the line open. You think you're calling a new number but you're still connected to the scammer.

Post new Message to Thread