Back to The Lounge

Art!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Afternoon fabbers!

A question my eldest child asked when we were at the Tate Modern

What’s the point of art?

I’m quite frankly I’m stumped, there’s messages a reflection on modern life but anyone have a definitive answer? Or even an idea?

Ta muchly

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Dec

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'm not sure that there is a "Point" to art, it's just an outlet for some people's imagination. If others find it interesting in any way, then that is a bonus.

I know from personal experience, as a musician I play for my own individual enjoyment and don't really care whether the audience is enjoying it or not. They generally will enjoy it, but I'm doing it for me and not them.

Cal

over a year ago

It's a medium through which people people express themselves is what I would say.

over a year ago

"Afternoon fabbers!

What’s the point of art?

I’m quite frankly I’m stumped, there’s messages a reflection on modern life but anyone have a definitive answer? Or even an idea?

Ta muchly"

Oh my god! Why can't you answer this?

To me, art defines culture. What else tells you about a place? The songs, dances, clothing, drawings, tattoos etc are all forms of artistic self expression. Every time you switch on the tv if it is something that is scripted or expressive you are watching art. Every song you have ever listened to is art. If there was no art we would live in a grey expressionless zombieland… Can you tell I'm an artist?

over a year ago

"I'm not sure that there is a "Point" to art, it's just an outlet for some people's imagination. If others find it interesting in any way, then that is a bonus.

I know from personal experience, as a musician I play for my own individual enjoyment and don't really care whether the audience is enjoying it or not. They generally will enjoy it, but I'm doing it for me and not them.

Cal"

That’s a good one to go with

over a year ago

"It's a medium through which people people express themselves is what I would say. "

Ah thank you I like that one

over a year ago

The Freedom to express yourself.

over a year ago

"Afternoon fabbers!

What’s the point of art?

Ta muchly"

creativity, a different viewpoint of visualising everyday things, aesthetics, a vista

over a year ago

What’s the point of anything??

over a year ago

"Afternoon fabbers!

What’s the point of art?

Ta muchly

To me, art defines culture. What else tells you about a place? The songs, dances, clothing, drawings, tattoos etc are all forms of artistic self expression. Every time you switch on the tv if it is something that is scripted or expressive you are watching art. Every song you have ever listened to is art. If there was no art we would live in a grey expressionless zombieland… Can you tell I'm an artist?"

Yes you can tell your an artist

But to explain to and 11 year old that in fact most media output is art would blow her mind as she doesn’t see that as art more entertainment which adds a larger question of when is art entertainment or visa versa

By *an_LexaCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

It’s subjective, so the point is also subjective

over a year ago

"Afternoon fabbers!

What’s the point of art?

Ta muchly

To me, art defines culture. What else tells you about a place? The songs, dances, clothing, drawings, tattoos etc are all forms of artistic self expression. Every time you switch on the tv if it is something that is scripted or expressive you are watching art. Every song you have ever listened to is art. If there was no art we would live in a grey expressionless zombieland… Can you tell I'm an artist?

But to explain to and 11 year old that in fact most media output is art would blow her mind as she doesn’t see that as art more entertainment which adds a larger question of when is art entertainment or visa versa "

Show him Tracey Emins bed. That’ll explain it all

over a year ago

"Afternoon fabbers!

What’s the point of art?

Ta muchly

But to explain to and 11 year old that in fact most media output is art would blow her mind as she doesn’t see that as art more entertainment which adds a larger question of when is art entertainment or visa versa "

It is very easy to explain to an 11 year old what art is because that is when they start secondary school and study art as a subject. Make her understand that art is all around her at all times. Ask questions like: Why are musicians called music artists? Make up artists called artist? Why do you think your phone looks cool? Why do you think this movie looks cool? You have the opportunity to educate a child at every turn. My 4 year old niece is fully aware of what art is and will ask me "what type of art are we doing today?" because she knows it could be one of many when with me.

You have a blank canvas there mate so embrace it. Show her all the beautiful art that we have created as a species and hopefully she will pursue a career that she enjoys and gets to regularly express herself honestly with. Also the creative industry is one of the biggest. Feel free to google that one

By *ooliganMan
over a year ago

Preston

What "isn't" the point of art?

over a year ago

"What "isn't" the point of art?"

Are what a great response that would have been! Chew on that one for a bit

over a year ago

"Afternoon fabbers!

What’s the point of art?

Ta muchly

But to explain to and 11 year old that in fact most media output is art would blow her mind as she doesn’t see that as art more entertainment which adds a larger question of when is art entertainment or visa versa

It is very easy to explain to an 11 year old what art is because that is when they start secondary school and study art as a subject. Make her understand that art is all around her at all times. Ask questions like: Why are musicians called music artists? Make up artists called artist? Why do you think your phone looks cool? Why do you think this movie looks cool? You have the opportunity to educate a child at every turn. My 4 year old niece is fully aware of what art is and will ask me "what type of art are we doing today?" because she knows it could be one of many when with me.

You have a blank canvas there mate so embrace it. Show her all the beautiful art that we have created as a species and hopefully she will pursue a career that she enjoys and gets to regularly express herself honestly with. Also the creative industry is one of the biggest. Feel free to google that one"

I’ll give it a go never really thought of her as a blank canvas, I suspect most of that has been taken up by geeky stuff from me which is art so we’ll see what happens

Post new Message to Thread