Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Make it last...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Calimero's post about the cost of shopping got me thinking (I know I should be careful! lol)

Do you prepare and make your own dishes from fresh produce etc or go the convenience route? Which do you think is the most cost effective?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think once you have got the basics, it is more cost effective to cook from scratch.

But that first week when you need to buy herbs, spices, oils etc can be an expensive one.

Getting away from cooking though, why is it that all household cleaning stuff & washing machine tabs etc run out at the same time ?

I hate them weeks - not only does it mean less to spend on goodies, but also I have to go to Home Bargains for the cleaning stuff if not on offer in supermarket.

And a trip to Home Bargains is never complete without a trip to the crisps and sweetie aisle !

And the one near me is next door to a Greggs - making matters even worse !

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Always make my own. I just assume it is cheaper, but even if it isnt I prefer the taste and I also like to know what is going in it

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

by and large make my own. more healthy and no crap therein.

over a year ago

home made is cheaper and better all round ,, but cooking for one has its drawbacks ,, freezer not big enough to freeze 4 spare portions a day ( the spare stuff i eat in work as i dont have a microwave ) plus it can get a bit sameish,, but thats my limited skills lol

over a year ago

prefer homemade and mostly do that apart from chicken kievs, orange juice with bits and bread. I do like to bake my own when I have time.

Don't eat cakes n bics as a rule, opt for yoghurt with honey, or mullers.

Growing your own is good too. If I have time I will plant out spinach, peas, toms and lettuce. Lovely.

over a year ago

As I live alone and get a bit fed up with cooking from scratch every night, I tend to batch cook at least once a week and freeze a couple of portions. That way there is always something healthy readily available, for the days when frankly, I just cannot be arsed

Which isn't to say I never eat convenience foods, just that I am aware of their true cost, health wise and finance wise.

over a year ago

It's all too expensive. Fresh fruit and veg you'll still be paying a premium for quality produce. Meat!? That's a joke too. Why can't we live of air alone??? Poxy evolution!!

over a year ago

It's all too expensive. Fresh fruit and veg you'll still be paying a premium for quality produce. Meat!? That's a joke too. Why can't we live of air alone??? Poxy evolution!!

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

I have never seen the point in doing all that hard work to make, say a white sauce or bread sauce when a 40p packet mix does the job! Never seen the point in making our own bread as by the time it is cooked, it is dearer than Waitrose! And that is something people forget, the actual cost of cooking and cleaning up!

All this “I make my own because I like to know what goes in it”?? You still have to buy ready made ingredients that also have all sorts of “other” stuff in them.. Flour with anti-caking agents E554 and the same with icing sugar. Take a look at Oxo’s and Bisto.. in fact anything you buy!

Yes, foods have “E-Numbers” in them, but they were never a problem to the great British public while they were names on a packet. As soon as they became e-numbers, everyone was up in arms.. Nothing had changed but the way they were named..

We use convenience foods during the week, last thing we want to do is spend hours in the kitchen after work. At weekends we may do the whole cooking thing, but much easier to go out and eat. Full Sunday roast for £5? Give me that every time and someone else loads the dishwasher! lol

If you like to cook and like being in the kitchen, that is a different matter... Can't understand it, but each to their own!

Post new Message to Thread