Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What is your Diet like?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What percentage of your diet consists of processed food and/or takeaways?

How often do you cook a meal from scratch?

Due to my job i see people who have an extremely poor diet, i know that money can be a factor to poor diet but most have a simply cannot be bothered attitude and take what they perceive to be the easy option.

Diseases like Diabetes and Cancer seem to be the increase, do you think there is a link between this and poor diet?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mines great at the min, we eat very little processed food, ive the time so would much rather cook from fresh

We have a takeaway once a week as a treat

Ive dropped a dress size since new year and intend to carry on with it

over a year ago

"Mines great at the min, we eat very little processed food, ive the time so would much rather cook from fresh

We have a takeaway once a week as a treat

Ive dropped a dress size since new year and intend to carry on with it"

Well done with the weight loss! I think we also view a takeaway as a little treat, we usually indulge about once every fortnight.

over a year ago

I eat alot of red meat and pasta dishes

I try to make things fresh where i can but sometimes the effort is too much

I love cooking a traditional curry from scratch though, simple but so so nice

over a year ago

"I eat alot of red meat and pasta dishes

"

On radio this morning said eating lots of red meat can kill you, mind eating anything and everything will so we are lead to believe.

My diet is crap chocolate peanuts for breakfast

over a year ago

"

I know what you mean about the effort can be too much, but if you cook in advance it can be easier.

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Well all food is home cooked and cant remember the last time i ate any sort of processed food.

Guess i am lucky as time is not an issue to cooking and baking.

For a lot of people its the coming home from work and having to get a meal on the table for a family that can be a driving factor i think these days.

over a year ago

On radio this morning said eating lots of red meat can kill you, mind eating anything and everything will so we are lead to believe.

My diet is crap chocolate peanuts for breakfast "

Thing that makes me laugh is undercooked meat can make you seriously ill, and overcooked meat apparently can cause cancer

is nothing safe anymore

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

It's doesn't take that much time or effort to prepare and eat something healthy even with a busy work life etc etc... Eating rubbish is just an excuse people use..

The one thing that does piss me off though is the government want people to eat healthy yet you goto the supermarket and all the real food is made expensive whilst all the crap is cheap or 2 for 1 and so on...

over a year ago

I know what you mean about the effort can be too much, but if you cook in advance it can be easier. "

Thats why i like curry and bolagnaise

I can make enough for a few meals if i havnt got the energy to cook again

I also like making pork and apple burgers

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

My diet is crap chocolate peanuts for breakfast

Thing that makes me laugh is undercooked meat can make you seriously ill, and overcooked meat apparently can cause cancer

is nothing safe anymore"

To much red meat is bad for you because of the saturated fat same as to much dairy..best protein sources are fish chicken and turkey.

over a year ago

"It's doesn't take that much time or effort to prepare and eat something healthy even with a busy work life etc etc... Eating rubbish is just an excuse people use..

The one thing that does piss me off though is the government want people to eat healthy yet you goto the supermarket and all the real food is made expensive whilst all the crap is cheap or 2 for 1 and so on..."

Yes, we have noticed that as well, not really a great incentive for people to eat a healthier diet is it?

over a year ago

mostly cooked from scratch with the odd ready meal thrown in when seriously pushed for time, but i do think they are much better these days not any where near as much saturated fat or salt as they were a few years back and a rare take away but i'd rather go to a restaurant than have a take away

over a year ago

Considering my considerable waistline girth, mine is surprisingly good.

I don't drink (well very rarely) and eat very little processed food.

I do cook but I prefer quite simple food like chicken and rice, gammon and roast potatoes, salmon fillets with rice or salad, tuna and wholemeal pasta.

I tend to use herbs and spices to give them that little kick.

I don't buy ready sauces - a tin of chopped tomatoes, with onions, mushrooms and garlic generally does the trick if making something 'saucy'

Sometimes I will pick a ready meal, but never more than 1 meal a week.

I always have fruit in and yoghurts and dark choccy for the sweet fix.

If I have people round for a brew / chat, I will buy a pack of biccies for that night and get them to take what's left of the packet(if anything) when they leave.

I do have the occasional pizza, burger and cake but they are exceptions.

I think diet wise what lets me down is the fact I am not a big fan of veg unless it is covered in cheese or butter which somewhat defeats the object.

I need to exercise more too.

By *r-MissCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Our diet is fairly good, we have a meal cooked from scratch every night. We only have a takeaway once every 2 weeks.

Enjoy making homemade curries and stews, the only downside is perhaps the fact that neither of us eat much fruit. Never ever have fizzy drinks in the house as we can't stand them.

over a year ago

My diet is basically high protein and low carbs every 3 hours.... initially was a pain to start but now I enjoy it.

over a year ago

I make home made food .. and takeaway onces a week and eat out ones a week for a rest . x Its a real mix for us with lots of veg and frying very very little. And sweet we just have 2 or 3 times for a treat or its just fruits most nights x

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

"My diet is basically high protein and low carbs every 3 hours.... initially was a pain to start but now I enjoy it. "

You obviously train at the gym same as me

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I eat a mixed diet. Some days it's really bad, some days really good.

I refuse to listen to government bodies about what I should be eating. I'm rarely ill, never get colds, and haven't had time off work sick in 8 years. Yet according to government groups my diet means I should have cancer of various forms, allergies, and be very unfit generally. I cycle daily, and visit the gym 3 times a week, and whilst I am overweight, I am physically fit.

over a year ago

"

You obviously train at the gym same as me "

over a year ago

I get given my food by Army chefs. Selection of meats, pasta, whatever they put in. So long as your diets mixed shouldn't matter what you eat. Keep the fruit and veg going in.

Diets all very well but what a lot of people don't do is exercise!!

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

"I eat a mixed diet. Some days it's really bad, some days really good.

I refuse to listen to government bodies about what I should be eating. I'm rarely ill, never get colds, and haven't had time off work sick in 8 years. Yet according to government groups my diet means I should have cancer of various forms, allergies, and be very unfit generally. I cycle daily, and visit the gym 3 times a week, and whilst I am overweight, I am physically fit.

"

They obviously don't say these things for the fun of it,it's fact that a bad diet can cause these things.Your obviously lucky because you excercise but don't tempt fate .

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Some days our diet is healthy and meals are cooked from scratch. I'm lucky that Mr B is a great cook and it's something that he enjoys.

Some days our diet consists of mainly processed and fatty foods.

Yes we prefer fresh home cooked meals but to be honest, we can't always be bothered.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

What's that saying?

Eat healthy, exercise regularly, die anyway.

Just my opinion, just as regular gym visits is yours.

Opinions about what causes various diseases change daily. 30 years ago, I'd have been locked away in an asylum because I have epilepsy. 30 years from now tomatoes might cause cancer.

over a year ago

I'm a thin type, always seemed natural to me, I eat most of the time, one meal a day...I dont feel i have any fatigue issues.

As for the 'rise' in cancers etc...I do wish there would be more of an wider outlook on the facts that we live in amongst pollutants,electricty,radiowaves...

we've had a relatively short time period on this earth as a species and nobody really knows the causes of 'illnesses'-after all some may be simply natural selection at the biology level.

now back to my chocphiledelphia and celery

over a year ago

Diet is a lot better since joining Slimming World.. its all home cooked now with loads of lean meats and fruit and veg , Can taste things better :D

over a year ago

"Diet is a lot better since joining Slimming World.. its all home cooked now with loads of lean meats and fruit and veg , Can taste things better :D "

whaps out cock!...taste it!

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

"What's that saying?

Eat healthy, exercise regularly, die anyway.

Just my opinion, just as regular gym visits is yours.

Opinions about what causes various diseases change daily. 30 years ago, I'd have been locked away in an asylum because I have epilepsy. 30 years from now tomatoes might cause cancer.

"

Yep totally agree the man that smokes 20 fags Adam drinks every night eats shit dies age 90.

The man doesn't smoke neve drinks eats healthy dies of a heart attack while out running age 25.

Everything in moderation i believe but at the same time doesn't hurt to try to give things a hand with a healthy lifestyle ..

over a year ago

My diet is WheatFree..Gluten Free..Lactose Free(limited. Which excludes 50% of processed foods/ nearly all alcoholic beverages and keep away from aspartame.

Not through choice and cook mostly from scratch

Him...she eats what she wants as can be seen in the pics

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

Good Topic !

Generally we eat well and try and avoid too much processed foods. Yes we firmly believe the link between poor choices diet and lack of exercise are very likely to cause cancers and many other diseases, many neurological. Aspartame has been mentioned on here before and although there are doubters of it's dangers we avoid it. We've cut out chewing gum and all sugar free drinks, even the caramalisation of Pepsi/Coke is thought of away from mainstream information of being carciogenic. Ribena seems to be a better option, fruit juice and smoothies being incredibly high in sugars.

For anyone remotely interested we'd recommend checking out the legislation of Codex Alimantarius, the issues of GM foods and also the horror behind Monsanto.

The concern of diabetes, parkinsons, depression, ms, cf has risen vastly in recent years and it could well be linked.

Big pharma make a lot of money from this.

Conspiracy theory or analysis of agenda.

One things certain our immune systems weaken without fuelling the body correctly.

over a year ago

"Diet is a lot better since joining Slimming World.. its all home cooked now with loads of lean meats and fruit and veg , Can taste things better :D

whaps out cock!...taste it!"

Padster!! lol

over a year ago

As much as possible I cook from scratch and rarely have processed food or takeaways. However I don't do low fat or diet anything. I'm a full fat double cream real butter kind of woman. I dread to think what my cholesterol level is like.

I eat meat, but venison and rabbit are better for you than beef and chicken, I get fish so fresh it's still wriggling, and always have a full fruit bowl and loads of fresh veg.

Frozen or tinned veg and fruit is just as good as fresh if you can't get it or afford it.

I've always found when trying to get kids to eat veg, chop it up small or mash it, put it in soups and sauces, disguise it and they will eat it.

over a year ago

I found out i had diabetes about a month ago and now i only eat low fat food and no sugar. I eat quorn instead of red meat. My brother has got diabetes as well and he has lost 3 stone and is much healthier. My hubby used to buy me lots of chocolates, i never ate takeaways or meat much though, only fish and chips once a week.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My diet is perfect, its a mixture of fresh vetables, fruit and salad, a fes carbs in potatots or some pasta. I eat fish and chicken most of the time but do still have red meat.

All evening meals are cooked from scratch. No processed foor, low fat yogurt and the only thing that really comes out of a tin is beans, tomatoa and kidney beans

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

v healthy i would say; plenty of water too. i do eat junk like crisps etc but easily outweighed by the good stuff .

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

..he says whilst eating cheese n onion walkers lol. :o

over a year ago

Most of my food is from scratch as its easier for me to keep the calories low that way.

Tonight for instance its spag bol.. but I am using a home made sauce. I just defrost some that I made before.. My daughter helps me make it as she loves it

I would say very little of my diet is processed food..

Takeaway is for me about every 2-3 weeks depending.. and kids go once a week with their dad.

Cali

over a year ago

Mine has been rubbish since I became single 5 years ago.. it's so expensive to buy the stuff I used to buy, just can't do it for one

I can afford to spend sort of £80-£100 per month and have found it's easier and cheaper to buy ready meals that are on offer and freeze them, I have cereal for brekky and a microwaved lunch and try not to eat in the evening am hoping to improve things when I move some place cheaper

I sometimes treat myself to a roasting chicken or pork

over a year ago

Well, I don't eat any red meat (or pork - the other white meat), wheat or dairy (cows milk/cheese). This severely limits access to processed foods!!

Add to that I'm allergic to MSG and anything with Aspartame (and that family of sweeteners)

So, from the point of view of processed foods etc., I just don't. Eating out is a pain in the ass and takeaways get dull as there is a really limited choice!

On the plus side, it means I do stick to quite a healthy diet though!

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I think my diets pretty good, meat, (chicken mainly ( sometimes fish , beef so expensive ) veg, fruit for dessert, can't remember when I had my last take out,

my meal is cooked whilst I'm at work, she let's me watch the tv in peace when I return home, if only she could master the salad, love you to bits ( mwaah ) my slow cooker, best singles present ever...

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

My diet is all over the place because I have two jobs and find the timing more difficult than the content. I start at 8am - usually have porridge for breakfast (made with water).

I have a gap between job from 1pm - 4pm. Lunch is usually some steamed veg and tuna or chicken ... but if I'm out shopping that isn't possible so I end up with a cereal bar and decaf coffee.

Don't get any breaks in my second job (which finishes at 9pm) so we're only allowed food we can eat at our desks whilst we work. So I usually have some carrot batons, fruit and rice cakes - maybe a cup-a-soup. Unfortunately, boredom and fatigue sometimes kick in and I succumb to a twix or kit-kat from the machine in the (closed) canteen.

By the time I get home (10pm) it's pretty much too late to eat.

Take-aways are a treat I indulge in maybe once a month. I don't drink alcohol through the week but do enjoy a few glasses of white wine at the weekends.

By rights I should be built like a stick insect ... but I know I don't exercise enough (if I could just be allocated 28 hours per day instead of 24 I might be able to manage it)and probably don't eat enough of the right stuff at the right time. That probably has a negative effect.

My routine's not ideal but it's just the way it has to be for now.

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

yep, porridge for me too in the mornings during winter/the fall ; in summer i prob switch to muesli with cold milk.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I cook mostly from scratch, but not everyday and i hate wasting food

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

"v healthy i would say; plenty of water too. i do eat junk like crisps etc but easily outweighed by the good stuff ."

Yep you should drink 3 litres of water a day and drinking it in tea coffee or juices doesn't count..

I'd say prob half the population of the uk never drink enough water.

over a year ago

"I'd say prob half the population of the uk never drink enough water."

well if the bbc news this morning is to be believed, people in the south might not have the option to this summer

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I would say I cook 95% of meals from scratch. Takeaways are maybe once every two to three weeks. The rest of time I will use a cook in sauce but always add my own twist to it. I make a mean hot and sour chinese style soup with a jar of Sharwwods Chilli Sauce

over a year ago

my diets pretty good at the moment, i joined slimming world (again lol) a few weeks ago so been eating pretty well of late

Its usually rubbish, i wouldnt need slimming world if it wasnt lol

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

Pretty good. Cook from scratch, varied diet. Haven't eaten red meat for about 20 years. Enjoy eating out with friends often but don't eat large portions anyway. Don't believe diets work and encourage my kids to eat well. Not too bothered about takeaways so rarely have them. I think if you eat good food when you are hungry and stop when you are no longer hungry but not full you won't go far wrong. Sweet treats are always the weak point in our family but I rarely keep them in the house.

over a year ago

So many eating the healthy option or maybe not! Takeaways are not always unhealthy and home cooked isn’t always that good. Home made pie and chips followed by steamed pudding isn’t a healthy option.

Well I cook at times, others takeaways but keep the fat low and the protein high. A healthy diet doesn’t have to be expensive. The key to it all is balance and exercise which so few seem to do anymore.

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

"I'd say prob half the population of the uk never drink enough water.

well if the bbc news this morning is to be believed, people in the south might not have the option to this summer "

There'll be plenty of bottled in tescos just means nobody will be able to have a shower.

over a year ago

" A healthy diet doesn’t have to be expensive. The key to it all is balance and exercise which so few seem to do anymore.

"

i actually think eating properly can work out cheaper, since i went back to fat camp i stopped buying ready meals etc and just cooked everything from scratch and did the same for everyone, now before i joined everyone used to eat different meals, all individually bought and packaged, buying fresh and cooking one big meal for everyone does work out better value then 4 people all cooking different meals

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

"So many eating the healthy option or maybe not! Takeaways are not always unhealthy and home cooked isn’t always that good. Home made pie and chips followed by steamed pudding isn’t a healthy option.

Well I cook at times, others takeaways but keep the fat low and the protein high. A healthy diet doesn’t have to be expensive. The key to it all is balance and exercise which so few seem to do anymore.

"

Agree same as all these fancy diets you see everywhere... Losing weight isn't rocket science just eat a calorie deficit and do some exercise..

The hardest bit is discipline

over a year ago

" A healthy diet doesn’t have to be expensive. The key to it all is balance and exercise which so few seem to do anymore.

i actually think eating properly can work out cheaper, since i went back to fat camp i stopped buying ready meals etc and just cooked everything from scratch and did the same for everyone, now before i joined everyone used to eat different meals, all individually bought and packaged, buying fresh and cooking one big meal for everyone does work out better value then 4 people all cooking different meals"

True with ping ping microwave boxed meals but people dont get fat on them as they are small portions.

If you are cooking for a few its cheaper to do a job lot would agree with that.

over a year ago

"So many eating the healthy option or maybe not! Takeaways are not always unhealthy and home cooked isn’t always that good. Home made pie and chips followed by steamed pudding isn’t a healthy option.

Agree same as all these fancy diets you see everywhere... Losing weight isn't rocket science just eat a calorie deficit and do some exercise..

The hardest bit is discipline "

As long as you eat less in cals than you burn off you dont go a long way wrong.

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

Basically if it runs,flys,swims or grows eat it...

over a year ago

"my diets pretty good at the moment, i joined slimming world (again lol) a few weeks ago so been eating pretty well of late

Its usually rubbish, i wouldnt need slimming world if it wasnt lol"

mine was still good pre slimming world meals wise it was just the ammount of choccie n biscuits n crisps n cream cakes, well you get my drift lol, that did the dammage not my meals oh and sarnies for lunch its amazing how much difference it makes knocking them on the head

over a year ago

"

True with ping ping microwave boxed meals but people dont get fat on them as they are small portions.

"

small portions they may be but you can still gain weight eating them

Look at the nutritional information on the pack and that small tub is jam packed with fat, sugar etc, i bought a tesco healthy eating meal the other day to take to work and when i got home i read it and it had 580 cals in it and thats the healthy choice, it went in the freezer and i went without a meal at work lol

I can cook a curry from scratch and it wont have nowhere near as many cals, fat etc in it and you'd get 3 times the amount of food on your plate and thats including the rice

Small or not ready meals are one of the worse things you can eat, i used to eat them all the time and i cant say they didnt do my any harm

over a year ago

"

Look at the nutritional information on the pack and that small tub is jam packed with fat, sugar etc, i bought a tesco healthy eating meal the other day to take to work and when i got home i read it and it had 580 cals in it and thats the healthy choice, it went in the freezer and i went without a meal at work lol

I can cook a curry from scratch and it wont have nowhere near as many cals, fat etc in it and you'd get 3 times the amount of food on your plate and thats including the rice"

Curries are rarely low in cals and home cooked ones you don't have a clue what the calorific value are. Home cooked people eat more and usually more cals. I am all for home cooked but you need to do a shed load of exercise if you do.

over a year ago

"

I can cook a curry from scratch and it wont have nowhere near as many cals, fat etc in it and you'd get 3 times the amount of food on your plate and thats including the rice

Curries are rarely low in cals and home cooked ones you don't have a clue what the calorific value are. Home cooked people eat more and usually more cals. I am all for home cooked but you need to do a shed load of exercise if you do."

well ive lost 2st 3 pound in 5 weeks so my currys cant be that bad

over a year ago

"

Curries are rarely low in cals and home cooked ones you don't have a clue what the calorific value are. Home cooked people eat more and usually more cals. I am all for home cooked but you need to do a shed load of exercise if you do.

well ive lost 2st 3 pound in 5 weeks so my currys cant be that bad "

Pretty good but there is only one way you would loose all that on curry

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

Apart from spices my curries only contain skinless chicken breast, home made stock which has been skimmed for any fat, onions, garlic, tinned toms and if a little spicy maybe a dash of low fat creme fraught. I only cook brown rice and often add a veg on the side. Much healthier than a takeaway!

over a year ago

"

Pretty good but there is only one way you would loose all that on curry "

i dont eat curry everyday lol it was just an example, i just personally think that meals cooked from fresh food is better for you than pre packed food, i dont really eat any less bulk wise than i did before i just eat better food with less cals, fat etc in it, you dont have to stave yourself to eat well sometimes its just a case of cooking your food different, thats what i did mainly, instead of cooking meat in the oven where its sat in its own fat i put it on the george, simple things like that does help

im boring myself now lol

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

"Apart from spices my curries only contain skinless chicken breast, home made stock which has been skimmed for any fat, onions, garlic, tinned toms and if a little spicy maybe a dash of low fat creme fraught. I only cook brown rice and often add a veg on the side. Much healthier than a takeaway! "

Creme fraiche damn know it all iPhones!

over a year ago

"

Pretty good but there is only one way you would loose all that on curry

i dont eat curry everyday lol it was just an example, i just personally think that meals cooked from fresh food is better for you than pre packed food, i dont really eat any less bulk wise than i did before i just eat better food with less cals, fat etc in it, you dont have to stave yourself to eat well sometimes its just a case of cooking your food different, thats what i did mainly, instead of cooking meat in the oven where its sat in its own fat i put it on the george, simple things like that does help

im boring myself now lol "

No your right but most dont weigh out what they cook and that little bit too much so eat more. Home cooked isn't bad its just most people eat more when home cooked.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

My lot eat what they are given and the rest goes in the freezer!

over a year ago

"My lot eat what they are given and the rest goes in the freezer! "

Best way to do it so many eat up what's left and just get bigger if they dont burn it off.

over a year ago

"Apart from spices my curries only contain skinless chicken breast, home made stock which has been skimmed for any fat, onions, garlic, tinned toms and if a little spicy maybe a dash of low fat creme fraught. I only cook brown rice and often add a veg on the side. Much healthier than a takeaway! "

can I shag u nigela?x

over a year ago

"What percentage of your diet consists of processed food and/or takeaways?

How often do you cook a meal from scratch?

Due to my job i see people who have an extremely poor diet, i know that money can be a factor to poor diet but most have a simply cannot be bothered attitude and take what they perceive to be the easy option.

Diseases like Diabetes and Cancer seem to be the increase, do you think there is a link between this and poor diet?"

I am diabetic and watch what I eat but have the odd take away at weekends sometimes.

I enjoy cooking from scratch and making good healthy food.

A persons diet can lead to any health problems but I would say that a link to cancer and food and drink is more to do with additives and how animals are pumped full of stuff, although it has been proven that people working nights and some shifts are prone to ill health due to no regular balance.

over a year ago

oh no i dont save left overs, im a bit of a snob when it comes to that, i dont feed my kids on last weeks left over dinner it goes in the bin

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

"v healthy i would say; plenty of water too. i do eat junk like crisps etc but easily outweighed by the good stuff .

Yep you should drink 3 litres of water a day and drinking it in tea coffee or juices doesn't count..

I'd say prob half the population of the uk never drink enough water."

i always thought it did count ...oops lol.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

"Apart from spices my curries only contain skinless chicken breast, home made stock which has been skimmed for any fat, onions, garlic, tinned toms and if a little spicy maybe a dash of low fat creme fraught. I only cook brown rice and often add a veg on the side. Much healthier than a takeaway!

can I shag u nigela?x"

over a year ago

I usually cook from scratch, in bulk, at weekends, so that I can freeze whatever I do not eat in portions, to take to work for lunch.

I like to use cheaper and tougher cuts of meat that can withstand long cooking process. I would typically simmer my spag bog sauce or chilli for at least 4 hours, and they are made with mince!

Just need to cook some starch like rice or pasta, add some vegetable, and reheat the lot in the microwave at work.

That's for the colder months.

For the warmer months, I like to have salads.

Usually a mixture of leaves such as spinach, watercress and rocket, plus a few cherry tomatoes, some peppers, radish, cucumber etc., then add some protein such as tuna/chicken/ham/eggs/etc., mixed with a bit of mayo on the side.

I like to make my own salad dressings using cider or raspberry vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, a bit of garlic paste, dried parsley, salt and pepper.

From time to time I may make a salad such as grated carrots with sultanas and orange and mango juice with a touch of ground cumin.

Or cous cous, or Tabbouleh, or potato and spring onions etc. etc...

Looking forward to some warmer days for salads.

Post new Message to Thread