Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Charity Buckets...

Jump to newest

By *emmefatale OP   Woman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

When someone is collecting for a charity, door to door and in a shopping centre etc...do they have to have a sealed container with which to collect the money?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes, im sure you do

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

i'd hope so; u never really know who is genuine nowadays sadly

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Yes, im sure you do"
thats what i thought although i wasnt sure, they were wearing high vis waistcoats and there was about 15 of em knocking doors, but none of them had a sealed bucket, they were just like normal buckets you would get at a supermarket with a taped piece of paper with the name of the charity on

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Charity begins at home, less chance of getting ripped off then.

Did they have ID?

I would have taken a pic and told them it was for uploading to facebook to help their cause.

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Charity begins at home, less chance of getting ripped off then.

Did they have ID?

I would have taken a pic and told them it was for uploading to facebook to help their cause.

"

I rang the police, they said they may be licensed by the council, and they would check, and no i wouldnt be stupid enough, anyway its not a charity i would support

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Unless they are badged up then treat with caution, there is no rule about sealed containers as all can be opened. If in doubt ask the name of the charity and say you would rather donate on line or by phone. Anyone associated with a real charity should accept this. Knocking on doors and asking for money though I think may not be legal though but not 100% sure on that.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I don't think knocking on doors asking for money is illegal. The local Lions club do it here every year for children's charities and what about all those lembelopes that come through the door for Oxfam , etc etc

I think I'll start my own charity. The open bucket type.... Hols coming up soon.

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Unless they are badged up then treat with caution, there is no rule about sealed containers as all can be opened. If in doubt ask the name of the charity and say you would rather donate on line or by phone. Anyone associated with a real charity should accept this. Knocking on doors and asking for money though I think may not be legal though but not 100% sure on that. "
Thanks, i have reported so im sure someone will contact me later xx

By *ub bbwWoman
over a year ago

oldbury

ask for the charity number it should be displayed for all to see when collecting money if that wasnt on display then they arent genuine

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"ask for the charity number it should be displayed for all to see when collecting money if that wasnt on display then they arent genuine"
whether they are Kosher or not i was never gonna give to them but the open containers i found a bit disconcerting

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

In past years, I've done some Charity Collection work, in town centres and close to shopping centres.

In my case, the charity was for a local well known hospice, but they still did things by the book by fulfilling the legal requirements.

Most councils these days issue a licence, for Charity Collectors. There are usually some Terms and Conditions involved, but this is to safeguard everyone.

Whether collection buckets, tins or conatainers are open, or sealed isn't a stipulation.

The final result is it is down to the public and whether they choose to give or not!

Post new Message to Thread