Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

KONY

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is this more propaganda to invade a country that has minerals?

Is this guy the worst terrorist on the planet?

Is it right? is it wrong?

Are we gullible to jump onto something that is spoon fed to us?

Whats your thoughts...?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think people are easily manipulated and people get ahead of themselves before knowing all the facts. Unless you are directly involved you will never know the true facts as your source of information will be from the media or other people who may not have all the facts themselves or trying to only let you see one side to the story and thus manipulate your thoughts on the matter. Sarah xx

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"I think people are easily manipulated and people get ahead of themselves before knowing all the facts. Unless you are directly involved you will never know the true facts as your source of information will be from the media or other people who may not have all the facts themselves or trying to only let you see one side to the story and thus manipulate your thoughts on the matter. Sarah xx"

facts or not

if your involvement save 1 single life does it matter ???

over a year ago

I am sceptical of most things - this was not exception

Good cause ? : Maybe

Personal 'crusade' ? : Maybe

The video was very well thought out and cleverly edited.

My lasting thought tho was if I had a son, I would love him to be that cute !

over a year ago

"I think people are easily manipulated and people get ahead of themselves before knowing all the facts. Unless you are directly involved you will never know the true facts as your source of information will be from the media or other people who may not have all the facts themselves or trying to only let you see one side to the story and thus manipulate your thoughts on the matter. Sarah xx

facts or not

if your involvement save 1 single life does it matter ???"

Yes that very true... another way of looking at it is...

If we have an emotional attachment to it, its easier t say yes lets kill them all.

What is going on in Africa is disgusting, men rule for power and grown armys and force children to fight and kill parents to live. Thats vile...

It gets shady after that... as the same arms they fight with were sold by the US & UK companies...

"We must liberate the people"

I can remember EVER a successful liberation of any human done by another country. The same tyrants we killed off, Sadam, Gadaffi, were friends of the US & UK at one point.

Sometimes i feel our governments are the biggest tyrants of them all, and they have an army of people justifying their BS.

The system is f**ked!

over a year ago

"I am sceptical of most things - this was not exception

Good cause ? : Maybe

Personal 'crusade' ? : Maybe

The video was very well thought out and cleverly edited.

My lasting thought tho was if I had a son, I would love him to be that cute !"

awww

over a year ago

"I can remember EVER a successful liberation of any human done by another country. The same tyrants we killed off, Sadam, Gadaffi, were friends of the US & UK at one point."

It may well transpire that the UK supplied arms to the Mujahadeen to combat the Russians when they entered Afghanistan in the 80s, and it may also be a case that the UK supplied arms to other Middle Eastern or African countries in the past, but it must be remembered that the UK govt make treaties and deals with people it considers it friends, or at the very least people we would prefer to be in power because it's in our interests, but the govt cannot know who will be running those countreis at a later date or whether the new rulers will be as friendly to the UK as the old ones.

Ford don't make and sell cars on the condition that they have the final say as to who the car gets sold to 15 years down the line. It's an unknown variable in international politics and the UK govt - whoever is power at the time - have to make deals that are in the British interest at that time.

over a year ago

"I think people are easily manipulated and people get ahead of themselves before knowing all the facts. Unless you are directly involved you will never know the true facts as your source of information will be from the media or other people who may not have all the facts themselves or trying to only let you see one side to the story and thus manipulate your thoughts on the matter. Sarah xx

facts or not

what about if other lives have to be lost to save that life?

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"Is this more propaganda to invade a country that has minerals?

Is this guy the worst terrorist on the planet?

Is it right? is it wrong?

Are we gullible to jump onto something that is spoon fed to us?

Whats your thoughts...? "

as i dont believe # or a facebook statuses have ever changed anything i havnt jumped in...

The lRA have been cunts for 30 years...and i do not apologize for the word,nothing else describes them

Invisible Children are a very slick organisation,who make a fortune for themselves.This has nothing to do with resources but getting more donations for a "charity" that pays its executives more than it spend on the ground.

over a year ago

hexham

thats lords revolutionary army,my key l fecked

over a year ago

Thats not really the case though is it... sounds good in the ideal world to say these are old arms and we aren't at fault for arming then, making then who they are, the going in talking about liberation. If you give un educated, power hungry people arms

only one thing is going to happen.

Our governments know what they are doing. They don't want anyone else with power or might, so they eliminate them.

Same with countries having nuclear capabilities... how comes we can have it, what makes us so responsible of the world. But they can stop Iran getting armed, but can't stop arming countries of lesser threat.

Its just business, its money, more hands in pies more equals control.

I feel sorry for our troops getting killed for BS, so sad. Creating even more hate on both sides of warn.

Gov wins either way. Everlasting War = Money, Investment, Rebuilding, Bands.

But its not us is them... hmmm is it...

In africa street names have Coca-Cola on them, the Gov gives war lords franchises to keep them happy, so called treaties... just for land, and control.

what goes around comes around... hopefully not on my watch or my kids

*cries*

over a year ago

Loves all your comments.. love the fact there are socially aware people that know what they are talking about having a nice healthy debate about a real issue...

well done u guys

over a year ago

i'[ve no idea if i'm right or wrong

i have no idea if i'm being duped by a well made film with a cute kid

but i do know it has managed to make me aware of a situation i knew nothing about proir to the link that was put up on this site

i do know that it is not something that blind eyes should be turned away from

i do know that it is right that this monster should be famous or is it infamous, sorry my education is lacking

i do know something should be done and if that takes me joining in with the night time poster thing to play my very small part then i'm going to do it

is that a selfish act rather than a selfless one as its to appease my feeling of helplessness? maybe

i care not if it is propoganda all i care about is that i have percieved it as something that offends my moralistic stance in life and i have been given an opportunity to stand up and say something about it rather than sitting on my cosy sofa and just shaking my head and saying something should be done about this

over a year ago

So we all agree that its a "Save The Kids" and get rid of "Kony" and clear out...

Will that change the mind set of 100s of years or war/power hungry war lords... nah lets leave that alone...

You guys should watc "Machine Gun Preacher" staring Gerald Butler, watched that a few weeks back. Good film, kind of hollywood-ised it but shows u how we feel, and he does what we probably would do. Its based of a true start and the fight against the LRA, which is Kony's guys. Great timing really but watched it two weeks before this blew up x

over a year ago

"So we all agree that its a "Save The Kids" and get rid of "Kony" and clear out...

Will that change the mind set of 100s of years or war/power hungry war lords... nah lets leave that alone...

You guys should watc "Machine Gun Preacher" staring Gerald Butler, watched that a few weeks back. Good film, kind of hollywood-ised it but shows u how we feel, and he does what we probably would do. Its based of a true start and the fight against the LRA, which is Kony's guys. Great timing really but watched it two weeks before this blew up x"

get rid of kony and his cronies as if you leave anyone behind they may decide to step up to the plate and carry on where he left off but yes other than that get out i think i don't know enough about it all though to be able to fully comment

will look out for the film

over a year ago

"get rid of kony and his cronies as if you leave anyone behind they may decide to step up to the plate and carry on where he left off but yes other than that get out i think i don't know enough about it all though to be able to fully comment"

That's the real paradox about going into countries and removing the ruling party/junta etc. If you don't put in a credible alternative, one you can deal with, you create a power vacuum that simply allows the next asshole with a power thirst to step in and take control. History is peppered with lands conquered and then vacated and the ensuing years of warring factions wrestling for control. In the UK we call it The Dark Ages after the Romans left Britain without a central form of government.

over a year ago

hexham

"So we all agree that its a "Save The Kids" and get rid of "Kony" and clear out...

You guys should watc "Machine Gun Preacher" staring Gerald Butler, watched that a few weeks back. Good film, kind of hollywood-ised it but shows u how we feel, and he does what we probably would do. Its based of a true start and the fight against the LRA, which is Kony's guys. Great timing really but watched it two weeks before this blew up x"

saw a review of that,hope it comes out on lovefilm as i really want to see it.

over a year ago

"get rid of kony and his cronies as if you leave anyone behind they may decide to step up to the plate and carry on where he left off but yes other than that get out i think i don't know enough about it all though to be able to fully comment

That's the real paradox about going into countries and removing the ruling party/junta etc. If you don't put in a credible alternative, one you can deal with, you create a power vacuum that simply allows the next asshole with a power thirst to step in and take control. History is peppered with lands conquered and then vacated and the ensuing years of warring factions wrestling for control. In the UK we call it The Dark Ages after the Romans left Britain without a central form of government."

so what you are saying is that we couldn't just go in pow pow bullets in heads and get outta there quick smart it would require much more work making sure things were stable before we jumped back on a plane?

over a year ago

"

so what you are saying is that we couldn't just go in pow pow bullets in heads and get outta there quick smart it would require much more work making sure things were stable before we jumped back on a plane?"

Chuck Norris or Macgyver or even Rambo could do it

over a year ago

hexham

"get rid of kony and his cronies as if you leave anyone behind they may decide to step up to the plate and carry on where he left off but yes other than that get out i think i don't know enough about it all though to be able to fully comment

That's the real paradox about going into countries and removing the ruling party/junta etc. If you don't put in a credible alternative, one you can deal with, you create a power vacuum that simply allows the next asshole with a power thirst to step in and take control. History is peppered with lands conquered and then vacated and the ensuing years of warring factions wrestling for control. In the UK we call it The Dark Ages after the Romans left Britain without a central form of government."

the lra are not in power, they are not even in Uganda,which is one of my objections to the film. It distorts the reality on the ground and ignores international law(If kony were arrested he should be tried by the Ugandan court,not the hague)

The imperialistic overtones of the white celebrities telling ppl about this bad african worry me.The pplof Northern Uganda and Siera leone know he is bad.

i wish more attention wa given to the plight of the night commuters,children who travel every night to sslleep in safe places rather than run the risk of being captured at home.

Currently the biggest thing stopping his arrest is probably Sudan...i dont think they pay much attention to what is trending on twitter.

Some good news

http://ipsnews.net/africa/nota.asp?idnews=51428

more on night commuters

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/africa_night_commuters/html/1.stm

Wanting to do something is of course natural, might i suggest ppl look for charities that work with thee children.

over a year ago

That's the real paradox about going into countries and removing the ruling party/junta etc. If you don't put in a credible alternative, one you can deal with, you create a power vacuum that simply allows the next asshole with a power thirst to step in and take control. History is peppered with lands conquered and then vacated and the ensuing years of warring factions wrestling for control. In the UK we call it The Dark Ages after the Romans left Britain without a central form of government.

so what you are saying is that we couldn't just go in pow pow bullets in heads and get outta there quick smart it would require much more work making sure things were stable before we jumped back on a plane?"

I believe that if any country sends troops into another country with the intention of liberating it's people from an oppressive regime then it has a moral obligation to assist in the transition of power.

over a year ago

"

so what you are saying is that we couldn't just go in pow pow bullets in heads and get outta there quick smart it would require much more work making sure things were stable before we jumped back on a plane?

Chuck Norris or Macgyver or even Rambo could do it "

but could they though? you do realise that one is an actor and the other 2 are just characters now don't you

what i said didn't deserve patronising it was a valid question, i was just making sure i understood what wishy was saying as i am but a simple gal that like to clarify when something isn't fully clear to me and the way i put things is in much more simple terms than those that are obviously better educated than i am

patronisation doesn't help anyone really now does it

over a year ago

hexham

Previous attempts by the Ugandan army to capture him have failed and led to horrific reprisals...the US bill which is supported by Human right watch,which i linked too offers training and support

over a year ago

"

I believe that if any country sends troops into another country with the intention of liberating it's people from an oppressive regime then it has a moral obligation to assist in the transition of power. "

couldn't agree more actually but it makes it difficult i guess to decide what countries you will help and which you won't

although if i watched the film correctly the guy is on the move not in a particular country so how does that work because if we went into the one he is currently in would he not just more on to one of its neighbours, so the issue isn't anything to do with any particular country if i understand it right it is just a groupd of evil people moving around so how would we sort that out

hmmm tis a conundrum

over a year ago

Uganda is landlocked by Kenya to the east, South Sudan to the north, Tanzania to the south and the Congo to the west. To capture Kony it would need a concerted effort from all five countries to permit troops to cross their borders in pursuit of Kony if they feel it stands a good chance of getting him. Obviously these countries would need to be told that troops were going to cross over but how far in advance they need to be told is a question for debate as there can be little doubt that Kony has evaded capture for so long because he has an intelligence network informing him of movements against his position - and any force tasked with capturing him won't know if his network reaches as high as government level and in which countries his tentacles has spread.

over a year ago

Hmmm so its going to take an awful lot of persuasion to get any government on side to actually do something about him then isn't it surely

Is it something you think will ever happen or do you think blind eyes will continue to be turned?

over a year ago

"Hmmm so its going to take an awful lot of persuasion to get any government on side to actually do something about him then isn't it surely

Is it something you think will ever happen or do you think blind eyes will continue to be turned? "

I think Central African countries have come a long way from the bad old days of Idi Amin but there is still a lot of corruption/bribery going on there and a few of the central republics are still run by despots. Our diplomats on the ground out there know who can be trusted and who will need 'paying off' to get things done, but on the whole Africa is making huge leaps in presenting itself as a continent that is learning how to take it's place on the world stage via the African Union.

over a year ago

facts or not

My response was with regards to the OP's question
" Are we gullible to jump onto something that is spoon fed to us? "

Therefore, whether it saves or kills has nothing to do with the question and response.

Sarah xx

over a year ago

I too watched machine Gun Preacher, and Sam Childers who the film is based on is still raising money for the orphanage, is still rescuing kids, is still feeding hundreds of kids each day and still reuniting them with families wherever possible.

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

at least these kids are working;

could do with him in london

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"at least these kids are working;

could do with him in london"

Could do with who in London?

over a year ago

There's a of a lot of Anti Kony groups on Facebook..He must be shitting himself

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"There's a of a lot of Anti Kony groups on Facebook..He must be shitting himself "

They will move onto something else in a few weeks....whatever the 'Cause of the month' is it will always attract Facebook pressure groups....

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

LRA have been about for many years and seem to float across many countries as an organisation. When I was last in Africa, I queried why so many did not clean their guns. The reply was is was cheaper to buy a clean AK for about $1.50 than clean it, the continent is flooded with them.

If Kony was to go, I bet another organisation just as bad will fill the vacuum within seconds as the're so many militias all trying to get a piece of the wealth. The militias are not the only bad guys, if you can try and watch Cry Freetown the un-editied version, the atrocities were committed by a neighbouring peace keeping force that was deployed to Freetown.

over a year ago

"There's a of a lot of Anti Kony groups on Facebook..He must be shitting himself

They will move onto something else in a few weeks....whatever the 'Cause of the month' is it will always attract Facebook pressure groups...."

FB & Twitter are the new way of disseminating information quickly and to a mass audience. My feelings about both 'social' networks is that they can very rapidly be anti-social to a given individual, regime, corporation or country if the 'trend' takes it that way. All based on mass hysteria and devoid of fact. Highly volatile and very dangerous.

over a year ago

"i'[ve no idea if i'm right or wrong

but i do know it has managed to make me aware of a situation i knew nothing about proir to the link that was put up on this site

i do know that it is right that this monster should be famous or is it infamous, sorry my education is lacking

i do know something should be done and if that takes me joining in with the night time poster thing to play my very small part then i'm going to do it

is that a selfish act rather than a selfless one as its to appease my feeling of helplessness? maybe

i care not if it is propoganda all i care about is that i have percieved it as something that offends my moralistic stance in life and i have been given an opportunity to stand up and say something about it rather than sitting on my cosy sofa and just shaking my head and saying something should be done about this

"

put t't kettle on then will ya?

over a year ago

"i'[ve no idea if i'm right or wrong

put t't kettle on then will ya?"

and that is meant to mean what exactly?

Post new Message to Thread