Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Afghanistan 2

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've read the previous thread and thought I'd start another to enlighten others to the myths of that place.

The Americans are idiots FULL STOP. I've had many years working with the soldiers/marines and pretty much most of the time, they're good lads. It's, as ever, their officers and Government that cause the problems. Sure there's going to be rogue elements but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. What I will say is think very hard about rising your point of view, unless of course you've been there first hand.

What the US troop's done is in no way condoned. But it could've been prevented. Believe me, the Brits out there are reverred by the Afghan people, or the majority anyway. Emphasies on us was to win "hearts and minds". They do, however, hate the Americans, and let's be honest, they're doing a good job at being hated. The knock on effect now being that the Brits will get hit because of it.

Looking deeper into the reasons for us being there. It's all very well saying "what would you do if someone came over here and invaded us"? It's not that easy a question. We invaded to enhance our security in this country. To let the likes of you and me walk the streets without fear. Now, we're building schools. Giving infrastructure to outer villages, wells and supply lines for food. Subsidising farmers to grow crops and not poppies. The Taliban simply destroy this. They kill their own to achieve their objective. They use children, women, a lot of whom are kidnapped from neighbouring Pakistan. The sheer depravity these people will go to to get themselves back in power beggars belief. All the Afghan's want is a fair democracy, and a chance to be free and earn their keep. The Taliban does not allow this.

That is the simplest way of trying to convey a very detailed explanation as to what's really happening out there. But I implore you to remember, the Brits are genuinely the good guys. The training in laws of Armed conflict, the handling of detainees, the welfare of the Afghan people, it's all taken extrememly seriously.

I too will be deploying within the year but for me my job is to make sure I bring my lads back in one peice and that we ALL uphold our standards while we're out there.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Those who seek power in Afghanistan, seek to exploit their own people. We should not hate all Afghans because of this.

We should support positive action to support everyday people to live safe and healthy lives. Especially the children.

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

i walked to school every day in safety before we were there.

there was no bloke in pyjamas and a turban threatening to blow me up on the way to school.

our troops are there because g.w bush wanted to make a name for himself and blair didn't have the balls to tell him to fuck himself.

tell me how some uneducated hick from afghanistan is more of a threat to my safety and liberty then some tracksiut wearing chav with designs on my phone ??

who terrorises who ??

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

"Those who seek power in Afghanistan, seek to exploit their own people. We should not hate all Afghans because of this.

We should support positive action to support everyday people to live safe and healthy lives. Especially the children."

over a year ago

"i walked to school every day in safety before we were there.

there was no bloke in pyjamas and a turban threatening to blow me up on the way to school.

our troops are there because g.w bush wanted to make a name for himself and blair didn't have the balls to tell him to fuck himself.

tell me how some uneducated hick from afghanistan is more of a threat to my safety and liberty then some tracksiut wearing chav with designs on my phone ??

who terrorises who ??

"

Home grown criminals should not be confused with international terrorists who will kill you, given the chance, for nothing more than being British. He doesn't even want your phone.

over a year ago

Nelson Mandala was considered a terrorist, Yassa Arafat was considered a terrorist.

Feel free to add more......

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"i walked to school every day in safety before we were there.

who terrorises who ??

Home grown criminals should not be confused with international terrorists who will kill you, given the chance, for nothing more than being British. He doesn't even want your phone."

the french ressitance would be called insurgents and terrorist if germany had won the war

once again

are you that dim ???

obviously you are

i hope you enjoyed reading the sun on sunday

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Stop calling people dim

By all means debate and disagree but when you need to start saying that people are dim it will piss people off and then they get defensive and then I have to start banning and closing threads

Thanks X

over a year ago

I have to say I wasn't meaning to go down the whole terrorist route but more towards letting you know that as British soldiers and servicemen and women, compared to the Americans and the rest of the coalition forces there our professionalism is second to none.

However, you'd be widely mistaken to think that the job that's happening out there isn't having a positive effect to this countries security and ultimately out safety. It's safe to say that terrorism in all its forms, and there's more to it than just blowing things up, is completely different to the "Chav" eyeing up someone's phone.

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"I have to say I wasn't meaning to go down the whole terrorist route but more towards letting you know that as British soldiers and servicemen and women, compared to the Americans and the rest of the coalition forces there our professionalism is second to none.

However, you'd be widely mistaken to think that the job that's happening out there isn't having a positive effect to this countries security and ultimately out safety. It's safe to say that terrorism in all its forms, and there's more to it than just blowing things up, is completely different to the "Chav" eyeing up someone's phone.

"

then why aren't we sending drones and bombs to northern ireland ?

as far as i remember they are a bigger threat to us than anyone else

over a year ago

No it wouldn't be ok as I take offence to it.

over a year ago

"I have to say I wasn't meaning to go down the whole terrorist route but more towards letting you know that as British soldiers and servicemen and women, compared to the Americans and the rest of the coalition forces there our professionalism is second to none.

"

My brother-i-l has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and what you say is quite true. I remember having a chat with him some time ago when the big news of the day was how ill-equipped our forces are and he chuckled at what was being printed in the popular press. He went on to say that the British Army doesn't need - or want - a mobile McDonalds and that our forces out there have every they need to get the job done. I tried to argue with him that armoured carriers were not offering enough protection and were being retrofitted etc and he said, "How much armour does a vehicle need to make it impregnable to any sort of roadside bomb yet still driveable in rough terrain?" He added that they didn't have much use for a lump of metal that nobody could damage with a bomb if they couldn't drive it anywhere.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

There really is no need for this bickering...if you can't debate like adults then don't post.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Right, a clean slate....either debate like adults or ignore each others posts please.

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"There really is no need for this bickering...if you can't debate like adults then don't post."

do i not have freedom of speach like the rest on here ???

over a year ago

"There really is no need for this bickering...if you can't debate like adults then don't post.

do i not have freedom of speach like the rest on here ???"

Yes you do, but the freedom to insult...no!

read the forum rules!

kat

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"There really is no need for this bickering...if you can't debate like adults then don't post.

do i not have freedom of speach like the rest on here ???

Yes you do, but the freedom to insult...no!

read the forum rules!

kat "

so it's fine to insult my intelligence ???

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

do i not have freedom of speach like the rest on here ???"

You just look like you are spoiling for a row.

Read the rules, stick to them and you can carry on posting.

over a year ago

Always believed we don't need to be there.

OUR Government and media scare mongers and makes you all FEAR there is a threat.

Its a waste of our money and the scare tactics are happening again with Iran. They are no threat, a report claimed they will be ready to attack in 90 days but won't have a nuclear weapon for 60months (5years) so how are they ready?

We go to war again, this country will suffer big time, you think this finical crisis is bad and petrol is expensive now.

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

when we leave -- will anything be resolved ? nope.

over a year ago

Hopefully when we leave we'd have done enough to help the Aghan Army, and Police to secure there own fate. The transition's happening now and it's looking promising. There's nothing between Afghanistan and the Arab spring. People just want the chance to live their lives as proud citizens of their country. Free to make their own choices. Seriously, it's not all doom and gloom out there. Good is being done.

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

we got sucked in through tony bliar sucking up to george bush,he just wanted to suck up to bush to try to look good in the world and to be emperor of europe,cost a lot british lives of men & women in services and tony is now middle east envoy & earning millions a year giving talks to the yanks!,and the families of those who lost their lives?,still struggling emotionally and finacially!.

but hey!,we helped the yanks preserve the gas for the big gas guzzlers didn't we?.

over a year ago

What if we'd told the yanks to bugger off and then, once we've successfully isolated ourselves, we needed their assistance, say, in the south atlantic, what do you think their response would be? (bear in mind we don't have any aircraft carriers anymore, nor aircraft to fly from them.) We couldn't afford to stay out of the Iraq/Kuwait/Afghanistan conflict as it wasn't in our long term national interests to do so. We are not a super-power anymore.

over a year ago

Regarding our soldiers fighting abroad, whilst I have the utmost respect for them and their families (my sister is married to someone who has seen action in Iraq & Afghanistan and is out there now) you cannot have a standing army that never fights in case someone gets killed. It is precisely that for which an army exists - to fight, and in any campaign there is going to be casualties, it is inevitable.

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

cant believe there is some very shortsighted people in the world.

20 years ago you COULDNT walk to school without fear because there were threats from the IRA, we just didnt have the 24 hour press around to ram everything down our throats all the time, but people that were around the problems knew about it and lived in fear. its the whole .not in my back yard so not interested' mentality that is ruining society.

i will support our troops every day they are wherever they are, without question, as, like me, they are doing their job. just that their job is trying to stop people coming over and giving us crap.

no one can do much about those that live here and turn to fundamentalism until our servies are alerted to it. we all have to play our part while at home to keep vigilant. i can see what good our troops are doing out there, i can also see, however, that fr every step forward we take, the gun happy americans take us a step back.

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Yanks assistance in the South Atlantic, catch up, they have already gone neutral in the UN on this topic - we will get no help whatsoever from them, if they did get help, it would not work - different systems.

As for the Falklands War, they trained Argentinian pilots for carrier deck landings up to two days before the invasion.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

America was against the last Falklands war unlikely they would support us if there was a next time.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"America was against the last Falklands war unlikely they would support us if there was a next time."

Actually the US tried to mediate a peaceful resolution to the conflict, that included an immediate withdrawal from the islands by the Argentinians.

When the Argentinians turned their back on this proposal the US Congress passed a resolution for the US to offer military support, in the form of logistics and arms for Britain.

over a year ago

"America was against the last Falklands war unlikely they would support us if there was a next time.

Actually the US tried to mediate a peaceful resolution to the conflict, that included an immediate withdrawal from the islands by the Argentinians.

When the Argentinians turned their back on this proposal the US Congress passed a resolution for the US to offer military support, in the form of logistics and arms for Britain."

Because the relationship between the UK & the US (no, not the 'special' one) meant more to the US than any agreement they had with South American nations.

America needs British support when the US commits US forces to campaigns in this part of the world. Brazil & Argentina will never send a flotilla of warships and a couple of hundred thousand troops in place of the British forces America relies upon.

over a year ago

im not sure i will really ever understand why our troops are out in Afganistan but i can say it hurts when a friend is lost out there, what really counts is our troops doing what is asked of them and coming home safe to their loved ones. Seeing hardened soldiers crying as their comrade is laid to rest is a very thought provoking scene, a vision that stays with you no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

Andy

over a year ago

You get used to it.

Post new Message to Thread