Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

supermarkets and offers ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I go in thinking i am not getting alot but come out with loads at times .. I do have to feed alot here with family and there other halfs friends coming over, So its nice on some things to get offers .. Do you think we are being conned ?? I was in the supermarket and this older man said just one more way of them conning us .. made me think .. We maybe brain wasted in some way ? to put things in trolleys its in your face going around .. but we have to be the ones picking things up .. Thay may have got it down to a find art . I never know what i am going to make so never do a shopping list maybe thats the way around all this ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Con may be taking it too far

Clever and targetted marketing is more the case I think.

The way I look at it is, I buy what are 'essentials' without being brand specific.

As regards non-essentials, I do look at offers, but I know what I have to spend budget wise for the week.

If I fancy the offer and it's within the budget, I will buy it. If I don't (or it doesn't) it goes back on the shelf.

over a year ago

"I go in thinking i am not getting alot but come out with loads at times .. I do have to feed alot here with family and there other halfs friends coming over, So its nice on some things to get offers .. Do you think we are being conned ?? I was in the supermarket and this older man said just one more way of them conning us .. made me think .. We maybe brain wasted in some way ? to put things in trolleys its in your face going around .. but we have to be the ones picking things up .. Thay may have got it down to a find art . I never know what i am going to make so never do a shopping list maybe thats the way around all this ? "

Yes, Jo, you do need to get a list of the regular, staple stuff you need. This really helps to focus my buying.

Also I only go to my local co-op as it is quite small and stocks mainly staple foods so I am not tempted to overbuy.

You can shop online now and make a regular list which you can check before ordering.

The other way is to devlop discipline in buying stuff you do not really need. Say, allow yourself one or two treats and limit it to that. The more you learn to say no in your head and not buy the easier it is to manage, not to mention the kitchen cupboards!!!!!

Good luck with it!

over a year ago

I like the Bargains.. Diet Flora is £1.70 but was on offer 2 for £2

So for 30p i got myself another margarine tub.. i'll use it eventually :D

over a year ago

"I like the Bargains.. Diet Flora is £1.70 but was on offer 2 for £2

So for 30p i got myself another margarine tub.. i'll use it eventually :D "

me too but i get things i really dont need ,, end up spending lots and thinking why and i know its me . I am off to supermarket soon so after this post i am saying no only things i need maybe make a saving too .. x i sall be strong no to the chocs and bags of sweets calling saying i am on offer eat me eat me, lol

over a year ago

One little trick is to keep a list of the things you throw out, or when your cleaning your cupboards things that are nearly out of date or out of date.

Check the list prior to shopping and simply do not buy the same things or buy them in smaller quantities.

Or.... buy your kids new shoes from clarks and you simply won't have enough money left for food, no wastage at all and old shoes boiled with onions are not as bad as most people think!!!!

over a year ago

"I like the Bargains.. Diet Flora is £1.70 but was on offer 2 for £2

So for 30p i got myself another margarine tub.. i'll use it eventually :D me too but i get things i really dont need ,, end up spending lots and thinking why and i know its me . I am off to supermarket soon so after this post i am saying no only things i need maybe make a saving too .. x i sall be strong no to the chocs and bags of sweets calling saying i am on offer eat me eat me, lol"

ha ha! do let us know how it went, when you come back.

over a year ago

"One little trick is to keep a list of the things you throw out, or when your cleaning your cupboards things that are nearly out of date or out of date.

Check the list prior to shopping and simply do not buy the same things or buy them in smaller quantities.

Or.... buy your kids new shoes from clarks and you simply won't have enough money left for food, no wastage at all and old shoes boiled with onions are not as bad as most people think!!!! "

and the box provides new accommodation too.

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

i just buy what i need, when i need ; don't go for the offers....

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

"and the box provides new accommodation too."

I do a good trade in selling shoe boxes to cam models, try not to think about what they do in them

over a year ago

Supermarket offers on some things are great, where there is a real saving to be made and you have storage space.

I tend to go for offers on products which dont expire - toilet rolls are a good example. I also tend to be 'that guy' in the supermarket who uses a calculator to work out exactly how much the 'savings' really are.

Toilet rolls are a case in point. The offer on Andrex at present is two 9 roll packs for £7.50. But, the actual cost per roll is the same as the regular priced 12 roll pack (which is about £5.60). So all your doing is giving the Supermarket more of your money for no actual saving. You just end up with more toilet rolls!

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

That is why we shop online! We use MySupermarket and check on the best basket price from the majors.. Take into account the delivery (Asda £3 for off peak) and Order.. Pay... Receive! It also means that we can set up a basket of favourites and use that when we shop with a few adjustments! Saves time too..

That way we are not seduced by "on the spot" decisions! We have plenty of time to work out A. If we would use it. B. If it is really a bargain! So many pack sizes have been changed.. Cheese used to all be in 400g blocks, prepacked but many are now 350g or less for the same price!

Saved a fortune, not only money, but also not throwing food away!

over a year ago

"That is why we shop online! We use MySupermarket and check on the best basket price from the majors.. Take into account the delivery (Asda £3 for off peak) and Order.. Pay... Receive! It also means that we can set up a basket of favourites and use that when we shop with a few adjustments! Saves time too..

That way we are not seduced by "on the spot" decisions! We have plenty of time to work out A. If we would use it. B. If it is really a bargain! So many pack sizes have been changed.. Cheese used to all be in 400g blocks, prepacked but many are now 350g or less for the same price!

Saved a fortune, not only money, but also not throwing food away! "

You may have just save me loads xxx MySupermarket i am looking in to this ... most night i feed 6/ 12 people and if mum and sisters family over and thay are alot can be over 20 xx

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

I must say, Jo.. It is the cowards way out! I am a very weak shopper and Les hates taking me cos we end up with a full trolly when going in for some milk...

It is good though, but might be worth signing up with your chosen supermarket first and then MySupermarket will transfer your shopping to their site and all you have to do is pay! We find that on a normal shop, Asda is usually about a tenner cheaper than Tesco on a £50 shop, but it depends what you buy.

You can normally save a fortune and a half by shopping for the offers in Asda and Tesco, but two delivery charges can wipe some of the saving out. Do a shop and then compare Asda/Tesco with Sainsburys and Waitrose! How Sainsburys and Waitrose get away with it I don't know! Snob Shopping I have heard it called lol

Saved us a fortune lol

Hope you still doing OK Jo, miss you hunny xxxx

over a year ago

"I must say, Jo.. It is the cowards way out! I am a very weak shopper and Les hates taking me cos we end up with a full trolly when going in for some milk...

It is good though, but might be worth signing up with your chosen supermarket first and then MySupermarket will transfer your shopping to their site and all you have to do is pay! We find that on a normal shop, Asda is usually about a tenner cheaper than Tesco on a £50 shop, but it depends what you buy.

You can normally save a fortune and a half by shopping for the offers in Asda and Tesco, but two delivery charges can wipe some of the saving out. Do a shop and then compare Asda/Tesco with Sainsburys and Waitrose! How Sainsburys and Waitrose get away with it I don't know! Snob Shopping I have heard it called lol

Saved us a fortune lol

Hope you still doing OK Jo, miss you hunny xxxx "

yes would love to see you two again xx I have never shopped on line but the time has come for me to do this so i sall be looking into it xxx be nice coming to my door a real treat ... and i can still go to my little local shops . xx

Post new Message to Thread