Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cyclists!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why is it okay to "pop" into a cycle store, buy a bike and then start cycling on main roads if you don't have a clue about riding on these type of roads. It should be compulsory to have to take a theory test and a cycle test and have full insurance. Helmets should also be worn at all times. Why is it okay to go through red traffic lights, avoid traffic lights altogether and mount pavements, undertaking and overtaking cars (overtaking is the worst, as cycle lanes indicate that is where they should be at all times, unless turning right of course)!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

uh oh!!! Where's Mally????

to be fair pedestrians dont need to take a test and they can run out and cause accidents to!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

its not ok to do it, there are road laws for people on bikes, just like a lot of people in life some choose not to follow them

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Why is it ok for car drivers to try and swerve round me when im on a zebra crossing or wait and decide to back just as im crossing the road. Why is it exceptable for them to drive through water on the edge of the road to soak me.

Its not, some will follow the rules and some wont, whether it be car driver, cyclist or a fucking mobility scooter and in my opinion mobility scooters are the worse out the lot

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/03/12 17:34:09]

over a year ago

"Why is it ok for car drivers to try and swerve round me when im on a zebra crossing or wait and decide to back just as im crossing the road. Why is it exceptable for them to drive through water on the edge of the road to soak me.

Its not, some will follow the rules and some wont, whether it be car driver, cyclist or a fucking mobility scooter and in my opinion mobility scooters are the worse out the lot"

i once saw a guy on a mobility scooter trundling down the central reservation of a duel carriageway !!!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Why is it ok for car drivers to try and swerve round me when im on a zebra crossing or wait and decide to back just as im crossing the road. Why is it exceptable for them to drive through water on the edge of the road to soak me.

Its not, some will follow the rules and some wont, whether it be car driver, cyclist or a fucking mobility scooter and in my opinion mobility scooters are the worse out the lot

i once saw a guy on a mobility scooter trundling down the central reservation of a duel carriageway !!! "

Dont get me started on them damn things, i know a really old lady that was quite active and got knocked down in tesco by one and broke her hip and hasnt been able to leave the house since.

over a year ago

Not enough police on the streets and roads in the UK.Im from Perth OZ and lived here for 18 years and I can't believe what drivers do and get away with here and everything else that goes on on the roads etc.

over a year ago

On yer bike...!!!

over a year ago

If you are on the road with a bike or an old biddy chariot you should have a compulsory basic test for road safety minimum.

over a year ago

I'm not a cyclist at all but it's kinda reassuring that people other than motorists can take to the roads without umpteen mandatory licences that one has to pay the govt for.

Less govt interference and more freedom.

Power To The People! Citizen. Brother.. er.. Sister!

over a year ago

"I'm not a cyclist at all but it's kinda reassuring that people other than motorists can take to the roads without umpteen mandatory licences that one has to pay the govt for.

Less govt interference and more freedom.

Power To The People! Citizen. Brother.. er.. Sister! "

Amen!! Bring on the revolution brothers and put the kettle on sisters there's gonna be some mass debating going on!

over a year ago

I've been thinking of moving closer to where I work and buying a bike, and did wonder if there are courses of some sort to take for cyclists?

I've never driven, so am nervous of just being let loose on the road

Are there safety courses availabe then for cyclists?

over a year ago

The Highway Code, it's all in there for Cyclists, pedestrians, drivers the lot.

over a year ago

"The Highway Code, it's all in there for Cyclists, pedestrians, drivers the lot. "

..... and for mobility scooter users too.

over a year ago

OK, cheers

over a year ago

"The Highway Code, it's all in there for Cyclists, pedestrians, drivers the lot. "

unfortunately most cyclists choose to ignore this and make up their own rules for the road!!

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

The roads can be a very dangerous place for cyclists due to the dangerous manoeuvres by a lot of motorists regarding cyclists, I even gave up cycling the 5 miles to work as it was only a matter of timne before I was knocked off as drivers were not driving according to road and conditions and these drivers I presume have already had the compulsary test.

over a year ago

"The roads can be a very dangerous place for cyclists due to the dangerous manoeuvres by a lot of motorists regarding cyclists, I even gave up cycling the 5 miles to work as it was only a matter of timne before I was knocked off as drivers were not driving according to road and conditions and these drivers I presume have already had the compulsary test."

unfortunately it works both ways, and cyclists perform just as many dangerous manoeuvres - I think going through a red traffic light only just comes second to overtaking and then staying in the middle of the road = cyclists should have compulsory tests which produces a licence just like drivers before they should be allowed on the road.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"I've been thinking of moving closer to where I work and buying a bike, and did wonder if there are courses of some sort to take for cyclists?

I've never driven, so am nervous of just being let loose on the road

Are there safety courses availabe then for cyclists?"

When I was at primary school in the late 1960`s, we were offered cycling proficiency lessons. After the requisite amount of lessons we were tested and awarded our triangular badge if we got over 70% and those that got over 90% got a News Of The World Knight Of The Road award. I still have both of my badges. I`m not sure if such lessons are still available but I reckon they could be an option in primary schools or similar.

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

"The Highway Code, it's all in there for Cyclists, pedestrians, drivers the lot.

unfortunately most cyclists choose to ignore this and make up their own rules for the road!!"

unfortunatly a hell of a lot of motorists and lorry drivers choose to ignore this and as they are a lot bigger and more powerful than cyclists just choose to knock others out of the way and go wherever they chose regardless of the loss of lives involved.

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

Cyclists are the bain of my life.

Riding 2 or 3 abreast on country lanes.

Not stopping for red lights.

Not stopping for zebra crossings.

Swerving in front of cars

Riding on the pavements and trying to knock over pedestrians

In fact, I nearly knocked one off their bike today when they ignored their red light and rode directly in front of me as I was just about to turn right on a green light. Had I been a split second slower with the brakes, I would have sent them flying and I was only doing 5 miles an hour.

Or the one last week who missed my grandsons buggy by an inch or so because he was talking on his mobile and rode directly at us whilst we were crossing on a green man.

Or the one on the way to work who jumped a red light and made a lorry break so hard I thought he was going to lose his load.

Bring back cycling proficiency or a CBT for cyclists....... because all the ones in Gloucestershire are a fucking nightmare.

over a year ago

Hi there

there is a series of bike rides for females only. its a good introduction to cycling and I have a friend who does introduction to your bike, so you basically know how it works and make simple adjustments.

If you start commuting, you have to think like every car on the road hasn;t seen you and will probably not stop for you and cycle accordingly.

Most cyclists are killed by going down the inside of lorrys /buses only to find they are turning left..ouch. just be patient, sit behind the vehicle and let it go,

hope this helps... cycling is after sex, one of the best things in the world, go out and enjoy!

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

"

Most cyclists are killed by going down the inside of lorrys /buses only to find they are turning left..ouch. "

Which is the cyclists fault.

Why then, do the motorists always get the blame?

over a year ago

stick to the pavements like me

over a year ago

"Why is it okay to "pop" into a cycle store, buy a bike and then start cycling on main roads if you don't have a clue about riding on these type of roads. It should be compulsory to have to take a theory test and a cycle test and have full insurance. Helmets should also be worn at all times. Why is it okay to go through red traffic lights, avoid traffic lights altogether and mount pavements, undertaking and overtaking cars (overtaking is the worst, as cycle lanes indicate that is where they should be at all times, unless turning right of course)!"

If you went that far why not do the same for horse riders, pedestrians, invalid scooter riders and anyone stepping out of the door. The current system system works to an extent and to change it and police it would be horrendously expensive.

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

i dont know whether you have noticed that whenever there are horses travelling along a road a motorist will sit there quitely until the horse turns off into a side rd or lane,but if caught behind a group of cyclists seem to think its ok to sound the car horn for long periods to intimidate the cyclists?.

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

"

Most cyclists are killed by going down the inside of lorrys /buses only to find they are turning left..ouch.

"

in the c ity of london particulary there were a lot of deaths caused by lorry drivers turning left and cutting up cyclists and thus crushing them to death!,it was noticed that most of these lorries were from the continent and that the lorry drivers did not notice the cyclists because at the time the drivers were cooking breakfast in the cab as they drove through the city!,go figure that!.

over a year ago

evesham

"i dont know whether you have noticed that whenever there are horses travelling along a road a motorist will sit there quitely until the horse turns off into a side rd or lane,but if caught behind a group of cyclists seem to think its ok to sound the car horn for long periods to intimidate the cyclists?."

there are loads of cycle races round where i live and i have never once heard or seen any of this behaviour.

ad i can assure you plenty of horses and riders are injured when out on the roads thanks to careless drivers

Respect for ALL on the roads is what is needed. there was a thread on here once about a guy who thought it was his rigt to hit or kick cars he thought were drivig dangerously - why is that right?

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

"i dont know whether you have noticed that whenever there are horses travelling along a road a motorist will sit there quitely until the horse turns off into a side rd or lane,but if caught behind a group of cyclists seem to think its ok to sound the car horn for long periods to intimidate the cyclists?.

there are loads of cycle races round where i live and i have never once heard or seen any of this behaviour.

"

well i have been in races round worc's,pinvi,pershore,bewdley,stourport,inberrow,flyford flavell,etc where i have witnessed this and heard the horns a blasting!,cars have actually tried to cut into the middle of road racing bunches!,we have had to radio ahead for the police motor cycle marshalls to drop back and apprehend the offending motorists.

over a year ago

evesham

"i dont know whether you have noticed that whenever there are horses travelling along a road a motorist will sit there quitely until the horse turns off into a side rd or lane,but if caught behind a group of cyclists seem to think its ok to sound the car horn for long periods to intimidate the cyclists?.

well i have been in races round worc's,pinvi,pershore,bewdley,stourport,inberrow,flyford flavell,etc where i have witnessed this and heard the horns a blasting!,cars have actually tried to cut into the middle of road racing bunches!,we have had to radio ahead for the police motor cycle marshalls to drop back and apprehend the offending motorists. "

fair do's

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

well i have been in races round worc's,pinvi,pershore,bewdley,stourport,inberrow,flyford flavell,etc where i have witnessed this and heard the horns a blasting!,cars have actually tried to cut into the middle of road racing bunches!,we have had to radio ahead for the police motor cycle marshalls to drop back and apprehend the offending motorists.

fair do's"

I actually thought it was illegal for cyclists to ride 2 or more abreast on roads....if said roads had not been closed for the purposes of a race.

If I a wrong, someone please tell me..... if I am not.....then surely it would be the cyclists fault for travelling abreast of each other?

over a year ago

well i have been in races round worc's,pinvi,pershore,bewdley,stourport,inberrow,flyford flavell,etc where i have witnessed this and heard the horns a blasting!,cars have actually tried to cut into the middle of road racing bunches!,we have had to radio ahead for the police motor cycle marshalls to drop back and apprehend the offending motorists. "

yep that is true...

Wolf

over a year ago

I drive regularly into town and all I see is cyclists running a red light; one in particular is a suited guy with his little briefcase strapped to the back, straight through the red light, so flaming annoying as I don't do it when I ride mine. I have even had a cyclist pull out of a turning in front of me, yet I am always careful when I see them, maybe its cos most are just complete tossers

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

I would hate to be driving down Grays inn road on a work day. As a commuter I feel the cyclists do take the pss

over a year ago

I hate cyclists.. I really do.. Had one drive into my car... had to wait to get past a group of them all riding a few abreast...

They get there own bits of road and pay NO road tax... poorly lit up at night...

They should have to do a CBT like motorcyclists..and a theory test...

I am a motorcyclist as well but I have no sympathy for cyclists at all.. as they always seem to be doing divvy things.

cali

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

I don't think road tax exists. I think it is a vehicle excise tax as such they don't pay

over a year ago

I'm in the minority when it comes to cycling, I cycle from Speke to Bootle daily and use the dock road all the way, those who know the route will be fully aware of just how busy that route is, I wear a helmet, I never run a red light and if there's a lorry or bus behind me that can't overtake because of the oncoming traffic, I'll pull in a safe place to let them over take, I consider myself a careful cyclist, trying to anticipate what the motorist is going to do, I never weave through traffic just to get to the front, if there is a queue, I just wait in line, I witness other cyclist ignoring all the above just to get where there going which stuns me sometimes, specially with some of the near misses I've witnessed, by biggest enemy on the road though is taxi drivers, last run in I had with one of the was at a set of traffic lights, I was 3 cars from the front and the taxi was behind me, he wanted to turn left but because I was passing the lights the same time he was on my right he couldn't turn and had to stop while I carried on, yes I did ge the horn hoot and the two fingered salute from him, ad far as I could see I had right of way and he should have just hung back till I'd gone, as I said before, I'm a very careful cyclist who considers other road users but sometimes those other road users het it wrong too

over a year ago

Sorry about the typos, bloody phone

over a year ago

How many cyclists do you see, reading a book, reading an atlas,eating a sandwich, putting on make-up,smoking a cigarette or using a mobile phone while on the move?

Its a people thing it even happens in supermarkets pushing trollies of food about.

over a year ago

"How many cyclists do you see, reading a book, reading an atlas,eating a sandwich, putting on make-up,smoking a cigarette or using a mobile phone while on the move?

Its a people thing it even happens in supermarkets pushing trollies of food about. "

and how many motorists do you see ignoring red traffic lights and mounting pavements or driving two abreast on a main road?

over a year ago

"How many cyclists do you see, reading a book, reading an atlas,eating a sandwich, putting on make-up,smoking a cigarette or using a mobile phone while on the move?

Its a people thing it even happens in supermarkets pushing trollies of food about.

and how many motorists do you see ignoring red traffic lights and mounting pavements or driving two abreast on a main road?"

How about riding down the road with an umbrella

I also walk to work and get fed up with having to move out of the way to let kids past on bikes, surely they should be on the road

over a year ago

"Sorry about the typos, bloody phone "

Will let you off lol

I was once turning left at traffic lights and a car also turning left, I had to jump onto the pavement to avoid being hit by him, on another occasion at the same traffic lights, I was turning left, a car coming the opposite way turning right just carried on and left me having to cross three lanes with difficulty

By *appyTrancerMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"

Most cyclists are killed by going down the inside of lorrys /buses only to find they are turning left..ouch.

"

Not necessarily true. If the vehicle turning hasn't signalled, how is the cyclist to know? That said, if he has signalled, then the cyclist deserves to become roadkill.

I used to cycle loads and the only way to survive is to assume every driver out there is trying to kill you. As has already been said, there are rules for every one and it's those that dont follow the rules that cause the accidents. I used to stop for every red light, for every zebra crossing that had someone on it, or ready to cross. I used to indicate (which is a pretty pathetic way of telling someone you're changing direction) when needed, but what was I supposed to do when some fuckwit driver had parked his car in the cycle lane?

I remember putting a foot long scratch in a brand new (still had shiny tyres) Audi once cos the daft bint driving it pulled out in front of me without looking. I was laid acros her boot and she didn't even get out of the fucking car to check!

The sad fact is that, although there are rules, there aren't enough cops around to enforce those rules - but then no one wants to pay more taxes to pay for more cops....

HT

over a year ago

how much tax payers money has been used to create bike lanes only for the cyclist to ignore them and overtake cars or worse cycling in the middle of the road!!!

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

how else could you turn right lol

By *uriousc88Woman
over a year ago

Reading

As a driver, I dislike cyclists intensely. People who cycle are fine. Cyclists appear to think they have a god given right to do whatever the heck they like on the public highway.

I drive very carefully around cyclists, slow down and keep well back, overtake with plenty of room etc. The courtesy does not go both ways though, and I've narrowly avoided accidents with cyclists who've pulled out in front of me at junctions, gone through reds, etc.

However, I really, truly loathe and despise cyclists as a pedestrian. Twice, I have been knocked down on a pavement by a cyclist who 1: shouldn't even have been on the pavement and 2: knocked me flying and then tried to blame me for their fuck up.

I ended up with a sprained wrist, bruises and cuts all up my leg and arm the first time, and cracked ribs the second time.

Both times, the cyclist just got up and carried on, having shouted abuse at me for 'being in the way'.

over a year ago

"how else could you turn right lol "

But someone who is turning left, gets priority, in my case, he barely took notice of the cars going straight ahead and just rammed his way through

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

its wrong for cycles to be on the pavement but motorists forget that the highways were setup for horses and bikes

try keeping a horse calm when numptys drive by you in a low gear hammering the engine in high reves while listening to "the venga boys" at 110 dbs

over a year ago

i cycle everywhere and think theres good and bad drivers and cyclists, iv been knocked off by both! ouch!

over a year ago

It is wrong for cyclists to be on pavements, very true it is also wrong for cars to be on the pavement, cycle lanes etc.

How many cyclists do you see doing the school run??? everyones favourite.

By *eavy Metal BallzMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Cyclists are the bain of my life.

Riding 2 or 3 abreast on country lanes.

Not stopping for red lights.

Not stopping for zebra crossings.

Swerving in front of cars

Riding on the pavements and trying to knock over pedestrians

In fact, I nearly knocked one off their bike today when they ignored their red light and rode directly in front of me as I was just about to turn right on a green light. Had I been a split second slower with the brakes, I would have sent them flying and I was only doing 5 miles an hour.

Or the one last week who missed my grandsons buggy by an inch or so because he was talking on his mobile and rode directly at us whilst we were crossing on a green man.

Or the one on the way to work who jumped a red light and made a lorry break so hard I thought he was going to lose his load.

Bring back cycling proficiency or a CBT for cyclists....... because all the ones in Gloucestershire are a fucking nightmare."

Oh err Madchick watching a trucker nearly loose his load

over a year ago

One of the things that amazes me are the amount of parents that have those child seats on their bikes and wobble and weave all over the road putting their child at risk.

Also, why do people let their children ride horses on the public highway? The kids aren't allowed to ride a motorcycle on the road without a CBT minimum and they can mechancally control them, yet a child can ride on the back of an animal that has its own thought process and emotions and can put the child at risk!

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

[Removed by poster at 11/03/12 10:00:53]

over a year ago

"I don't think road tax exists. I think it is a vehicle excise tax as such they don't pay"

Well cycles are a vehicle.

Cali

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

"The Highway Code, it's all in there for Cyclists, pedestrians, drivers the lot.

unfortunately most cyclists choose to ignore this and make up their own rules for the road!!"

regarding the highway code,does anyone know if it is illegal for cyclists to ride two abreast?,i have not got a highway code,but if you could show me the link to this law please?.

thanks in anticipation.

over a year ago

I've driven/ridden on the roads in a lot of different ways, cars, horses, lorries, motorbikes and pushbikes, and I've got to say the scariest is the pushbike. I want rotating blades on my wheels like a chariot and acid to shoot out of my handlebars. on certain local roads the cycle path goes onto the pavement, and I've had ladies use their pushchairs, complete with child, to try and push me onto the road!! the list is endless, but i've come to the conclusion that its not one bunch of road users but stupid people with no consideration, whatever vehicle they are in charge of

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

why is it ok to overtake on inside

in a car just cos im on a bike;

now do most cycling off road far better

odd face plant but thats life

over a year ago

"why is it ok to overtake on inside

odd face plant but thats life "

if the cyclist stuck to the cycle lane cars wouldn't overtake inside or outside.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

It is not illegal to ride 2 abreast.

Cycle lane what the f**k is a cycle lane there certainly ae not any anywhere near the roads I use they have them in some developed countries eg Germany but not many here as far as I am aware.

over a year ago

unfortunately most cyclists choose to ignore this and make up their own rules for the road!!

regarding the highway code,does anyone know if it is illegal for cyclists to ride two abreast?,i have not got a highway code,but if you could show me the link to this law please?.

thanks in anticipation."

I think you will find that, similar to horses, you can ride as many abreast as you like, as long as you don't go over the white line in the centre of the road.

On roads with no white lines, it is defined as up to a cars-width, that is deemed acceptable.

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

"why is it ok to overtake on inside

odd face plant but thats life

if the cyclist stuck to the cycle lane cars wouldn't overtake inside or outside."

no lanes round here this is at a trafic lights on a main rd

over a year ago

I think that cyclists should have to have insurance to be on the road too.. after all.. you are meant to have insurance now even if the car doesnt move.

Cali

By *am sampsonMan
over a year ago

cwmbran

"I think that cyclists should have to have insurance to be on the road too.. after all.. you are meant to have insurance now even if the car doesnt move.

Cali "

Think yourself lucky in some countries you can be held responsible as a car driver for any accident involving a cyclist or pedestrian regardless of faullt

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

the only time no win no fee

should be justyfied iswhen car drivers are involved;

i would never go on the a61 between

ripon harrogate and leeds

the driveing on there is the worst

for a cyclist

over a year ago

"I think that cyclists should have to have insurance to be on the road too.. after all.. you are meant to have insurance now even if the car doesnt move.

Cali

Think yourself lucky in some countries you can be held responsible as a car driver for any accident involving a cyclist or pedestrian regardless of faullt "

it seems over here to be similar.. unless its a motorcyclist.. then its always there fault apparently.

Cali

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Riding on the road next to a purpose built cycle lane!! and they complain when they get knocked off. I have heard of some pile ups with nasty injuries when they collide on the cycle lanes mid you.

My motorcycle is taxed as a Bicycle but I don't ride it like the cyclists do their pedal bikes - might explain why it was recently in the news that 27,000 cyclists have died on the roads in the last ten years. Sight tests may be needed to help them see the cycle lanes, red lights and no-entry signs.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

"Riding on the road next to a purpose built cycle lane!! and they complain when they get knocked off. I have heard of some pile ups with nasty injuries when they collide on the cycle lanes mid you.

My motorcycle is taxed as a Bicycle but I don't ride it like the cyclists do their pedal bikes - might explain why it was recently in the news that 27,000 cyclists have died on the roads in the last ten years. Sight tests may be needed to help them see the cycle lanes, red lights and no-entry signs. "

most of the cycle lanes that i see have cars parked half on the verge/half on the road,whats that about?,theres a local cycle lane i will never use coming into town as the yobs amongst the motorists that use it tend to sling out the rubbish in supermarket bags and a few beer bottles as well.

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

Give me a bad cyclist any day of the week. Just over this weekend ive seen more dangerous driving from motorcyclists and car drivers than ive seen from cyclists in 10 years. Just today i saw a biker doing at least 80 mph while trying to do a wheelie in a built up main road(30 limit). If a kid had stepped out in front of them, the kid would be dead.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"It is not illegal to ride 2 abreast.

"

...... unless the road nature prevents it which can be interpreted as almost anywhere, wording which is similarly used to determine when I should use the orange beacon on the roof of my tractor. "Compulsory on an un-restricted dual carriageway and advisable where your size, speed or position may require it"

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

"I'm in the minority when it comes to cycling, I cycle from Speke to Bootle daily and use the dock road all the way, those who know the route will be fully aware of just how busy that route is, I wear a helmet, I never run a red light and if there's a lorry or bus behind me that can't overtake because of the oncoming traffic, I'll pull in a safe place to let them over take, I consider myself a careful cyclist, trying to anticipate what the motorist is going to do, I never weave through traffic just to get to the front, if there is a queue, I just wait in line, I witness other cyclist ignoring all the above just to get where there going which stuns me sometimes, specially with some of the near misses I've witnessed, by biggest enemy on the road though is taxi drivers, last run in I had with one of the was at a set of traffic lights, I was 3 cars from the front and the taxi was behind me, he wanted to turn left but because I was passing the lights the same time he was on my right he couldn't turn and had to stop while I carried on, yes I did ge the horn hoot and the two fingered salute from him, ad far as I could see I had right of way and he should have just hung back till I'd gone, as I said before, I'm a very careful cyclist who considers other road users but sometimes those other road users het it wrong too"

i am like you mally,i like my skin and want to hang on to it for as long as i can!,i am not an amber gambler as i have witnessed the scene when two cars both gambled and lost!,have good lights front & rear,wear reflective wrist/leg bands to make sure i am seen and it makes me mad to see other cyclists gamble on the red lights and go to work on dark mornings dressed in black with inefficient lighting or reflective clothing!,do they not think of their families when doing these dangerous things?.

over a year ago

I've got a 3rd of the way through this thread and feel that I should step away from the keyboard to avoid another "holiday" from the forums.

over a year ago

"If you are on the road with a bike or an old biddy chariot you should have a compulsory basic test for road safety minimum."
and have insurance

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"Why is it okay to "pop" into a cycle store, buy a bike and then start cycling on main roads if you don't have a clue about riding on these type of roads. It should be compulsory to have to take a theory test and a cycle test and have full insurance. Helmets should also be worn at all times. Why is it okay to go through red traffic lights, avoid traffic lights altogether and mount pavements, undertaking and overtaking cars (overtaking is the worst, as cycle lanes indicate that is where they should be at all times, unless turning right of course)!"

Righto then.

First, cycle lanes are NOT mandatory and are in actuality often badly designed and often dangerous to use due to poor design, poor maintainance and stupid planning when they suddenly throw a cyclist back into traffic.

Organisations such as Bikeability and even the Institute of Advanced Motorists teach the cycling method of 1st and 2nd positions when it comes to lane positioning.

The 1st position is slap bang in the centre of the lane. This is so the cyclist can control the lane and prevent dangerous ovetaking - for example when passing through narrow road-calming measures like pedestrian/traffic islands on single-carriageway roads.

The 2nd position is the one that should be used the majority of the time. This is taught as 3-5ft away from the kerb, often in line with the inside wheel of a vehicle. This is done both to place the cyclist in the eyeline of the motorist behind and to make the driver actually make an overtaking manoevre rather than attempting to squeeze past without bothering to manoevre at all.

Helmets are not mandatory and in any case are only rated to a 13mph impact onto a flat surface, not much use when you are t-boned by a car doing 50mph.

Studies in Australia found that cycling trips decreased markedly when helmet compulsion was introduced.

Cyclists - like equestrians and pedestrians - have a legal RIGHT to use the Queen's Highways and as such it would take several acts of Parliament to take away that right. As a motorist i am merely licensed to use the road under some very strict conditions pertaining to the use thereof.

Undertaking/overtaking.

The Highway Code does state that motorists should take care to look for cyclists on BOTH sides - therefore they are allowed to overtake - legally they are a vehicle and may overtake.

It is legal to undertake if the vehicle to your right is making less than a certain speed - not sure offhand what that is though.

Insurance - most adults have public liability cover under their house insurance, no need for a specific road cover. Not allowed to link from here but i suggest you look at the website - ipayroadtax - for more details about the myths many believe about cycling and the law.

There is no excuse for jumping red lights - from anyone. I keep count for my own amusement and last week i saw 17 cars jump reds and 1 cyclist - and that was the first cyclist i've seen this year. In all fairness, he was a pillock as he'd already deliberately 'buzzed' me before jumping a straight red.

Finally, when overtaking a cycle motorists are required to give the same room as they would to a small car under rule 163 of the Highway Code - take a look online and see. Basically, if your offside wheels are not over the white line then you are too close.

"But what about oncoming traffic?" i hear you cry - THEN YOU SHOULD NOT PASS!

It's really quite simple, treat cyclists with the same respect and courtesy you would expect from others and we'll all get home safely.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"I don't think road tax exists. I think it is a vehicle excise tax as such they don't pay

Well cycles are a vehicle.

Cali "

Cycles are indeed legally vehicles, and as such are classed for tax purposes as Band A vehicles and are therefore required to pay the same amount of tax as a Band A vehicle - £0.00

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Have any of the posters above who have condemned cyclists ever ridden a horse on the road?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/03/12 19:50:01]

over a year ago

^^^ That says it a lot better than I could.

Just picking up on the cyclepath issue, there were 2 people killed on one of Boris's superhighways, same place, few weeks apart, it is now been redesigned as a matter if urgency. So yeah, we should use cyclepaths so fucking safe. Oh an thene there is Kings Cross where TFL may face corporate manslaughter charges for failing to carry out work that a saftety report recomended.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"Have any of the posters above who have condemned cyclists ever ridden a horse on the road?"

As a regular cyclist who commutes by bike, rides road bikes and mountain bikes, whenever i come up behind a horse i always start talking to the rider, asking if and when it is safe to pass, this is so the horse knows i'm there and the rider has time to react. Last thing i want is half a ton of muscle going bonkers next to me!

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

two points raised

Cyclists jumping red lights.. I work in London and drive there at weekends. The number of cyclists jumping red lights is huge (back to my comment on Grays Inn Road - not that far away from the Kings Cross junction - the east west junctions are always full of cyclists jumping the lights)

However... because a bicycle is also a vehicle you have to accord them the courtesy you would do any other vehicle. e.g. you cannot overtake when there is an obstruction coming

over a year ago

"

in the c ity of london particulary there were a lot of deaths caused by lorry drivers turning left and cutting up cyclists and thus crushing them to death!,it was noticed that most of these lorries were from the continent and that the lorry drivers did not notice the cyclists because at the time the drivers were cooking breakfast in the cab as they drove through the city!,go figure that!. "

That's simply not true.

over a year ago

"Why is it okay to "pop" into a cycle store, buy a bike and then start cycling on main roads if you don't have a clue about riding on these type of roads. It should be compulsory to have to take a theory test and a cycle test and have full insurance. Helmets should also be worn at all times. Why is it okay to go through red traffic lights, avoid traffic lights altogether and mount pavements, undertaking and overtaking cars (overtaking is the worst, as cycle lanes indicate that is where they should be at all times, unless turning right of course)!

Righto then.

First, cycle lanes are NOT mandatory and are in actuality often badly designed and often dangerous to use due to poor design, poor maintainance and stupid planning when they suddenly throw a cyclist back into traffic.

Organisations such as Bikeability and even the Institute of Advanced Motorists teach the cycling method of 1st and 2nd positions when it comes to lane positioning.

The 1st position is slap bang in the centre of the lane. This is so the cyclist can control the lane and prevent dangerous ovetaking - for example when passing through narrow road-calming measures like pedestrian/traffic islands on single-carriageway roads.

The 2nd position is the one that should be used the majority of the time. This is taught as 3-5ft away from the kerb, often in line with the inside wheel of a vehicle. This is done both to place the cyclist in the eyeline of the motorist behind and to make the driver actually make an overtaking manoevre rather than attempting to squeeze past without bothering to manoevre at all.

Helmets are not mandatory and in any case are only rated to a 13mph impact onto a flat surface, not much use when you are t-boned by a car doing 50mph.

Studies in Australia found that cycling trips decreased markedly when helmet compulsion was introduced.

Cyclists - like equestrians and pedestrians - have a legal RIGHT to use the Queen's Highways and as such it would take several acts of Parliament to take away that right. As a motorist i am merely licensed to use the road under some very strict conditions pertaining to the use thereof.

Undertaking/overtaking.

The Highway Code does state that motorists should take care to look for cyclists on BOTH sides - therefore they are allowed to overtake - legally they are a vehicle and may overtake.

It is legal to undertake if the vehicle to your right is making less than a certain speed - not sure offhand what that is though.

Insurance - most adults have public liability cover under their house insurance, no need for a specific road cover. Not allowed to link from here but i suggest you look at the website - ipayroadtax - for more details about the myths many believe about cycling and the law.

There is no excuse for jumping red lights - from anyone. I keep count for my own amusement and last week i saw 17 cars jump reds and 1 cyclist - and that was the first cyclist i've seen this year. In all fairness, he was a pillock as he'd already deliberately 'buzzed' me before jumping a straight red.

Finally, when overtaking a cycle motorists are required to give the same room as they would to a small car under rule 163 of the Highway Code - take a look online and see. Basically, if your offside wheels are not over the white line then you are too close.

It's really quite simple, treat cyclists with the same respect and courtesy you would expect from others and we'll all get home safely."

You can defend cyclists all you want, they are a pain on the road and it should be COMPULSORY that they take a theory and cycling test (similar to motorists) before they are allowed on the roads. And I see at least one cyclist every single morning going through a red light - NEVER have I seen a car doing this. More than once I have cyclists undertaking and overtaking me at the SAME time - how bloody stupid!! Sorry but why have we built cycle lanes if the cyclist insists on blocking the road and not using them? I am a taxpayer and I resent the money paid out when cyclists don't even use them. And helmets should be compulsory, the same as seat belts are compulsory for drivers.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"two points raised

Cyclists jumping red lights.. I work in London and drive there at weekends. The number of cyclists jumping red lights is huge (back to my comment on Grays Inn Road - not that far away from the Kings Cross junction - the east west junctions are always full of cyclists jumping the lights)

However... because a bicycle is also a vehicle you have to accord them the courtesy you would do any other vehicle. e.g. you cannot overtake when there is an obstruction coming

"

Never having ridden in London i can't personally comment on the quality of the cyclists, but i have heard a lot of people complain about the red light jumping in that city. I've been called a prat by a following cyclist for stopping on amber, and i've had a car beep the horn at me for the same thing! Seems you can't do the right thing sometimes..

Your 2nd point is entirely correct though.

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

and don't even get us started on the tourists on Boris Bikes

They certainly wouldn't have insurance (or does Boris guarantee that?)

Saying that the number of LT and PL registered cars were we live..

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"Why is it okay to "pop" into a cycle store, buy a bike and then start cycling on main roads if you don't have a clue about riding on these type of roads. It should be compulsory to have to take a theory test and a cycle test and have full insurance. Helmets should also be worn at all times. Why is it okay to go through red traffic lights, avoid traffic lights altogether and mount pavements, undertaking and overtaking cars (overtaking is the worst, as cycle lanes indicate that is where they should be at all times, unless turning right of course)!

Righto then.

Undertaking/overtaking.

It's really quite simple, treat cyclists with the same respect and courtesy you would expect from others and we'll all get home safely.

You can defend cyclists all you want, they are a pain on the road and it should be COMPULSORY that they take a theory and cycling test (similar to motorists) before they are allowed on the roads. And I see at least one cyclist every single morning going through a red light - NEVER have I seen a car doing this. More than once I have cyclists undertaking and overtaking me at the SAME time - how bloody stupid!! Sorry but why have we built cycle lanes if the cyclist insists on blocking the road and not using them? I am a taxpayer and I resent the money paid out when cyclists don't even use them. And helmets should be compulsory, the same as seat belts are compulsory for drivers."

Would that be the same tax that the cyclist pays then?

You can scream all you like about compulsory tests but it simply isn'y going to happen - try reading what i posted about the rights of cyclists versus the licensing of motorists.

Statistically speaking, motorists are more likely to suffer death and injury than cyclists so perhaps it should be the impatient and ignorant of the law motorist who needs the helmet?

And as for never seeing a motorist jump a red light then i know you are talking rubbish. Everyone who uses the road on a daily basis can see this at nearly every junction. Try seeing how many vehicles approaching a junction accelerate when the light turns to amber as they attempt to jump a light. You do realise Amber means stop don't you?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/03/12 20:10:02]

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

Actually, all this waffle about cyclists needing compulsory theory and tests etc siimply smacks of "Wah! some one is using for free the roads i pay for, Wah!!!"

Get over it. The roads are paid for via Council Tax not VED and haven't been since 1937. We all pay for the roads and we all have the right to cycle on them. When Govts are encouraging a more active lifestyle do you really think any Govt is going to bother adding more beaurocracy (sp?) and cost to the public purse? I doubt it.

over a year ago

I just ride my bike on the downhill mountain bike tracks here in Spain , alot less dangerous than mixing it with spanish drivers, but to be fair there alot more considerate than British motorists

over a year ago

"two points raised

Never having ridden in London i can't personally comment on the quality of the cyclists, but i have heard a lot of people complain about the red light jumping in that city. I've been called a prat by a following cyclist for stopping on amber, and i've had a car beep the horn at me for the same thing! Seems you can't do the right thing sometimes..

Your 2nd point is entirely correct though. "

It is a nightmare riding in London. Hard to compare to riding anywhere else. Problem is as the roads get ever more congested with cars and Boris continually pushes public transport prices up, so more and more people are realising cycling is an option. But the infrastructure isn;t there. The cycling superhighways are a joke. As I've already said one is already been re-designed following 2 fatalities, cars use them, they are disjointed, they steer you away from roads and onto estates that are notorious for muggings. They are an excellent idea poorly implemented.

Another problem is police issuing spot fines for cyclists jumping lights(oh yes, all the critics on here, that does actually happen quite a lot), while ignoring cars at the same junctions stopping in the ASL's that are there to make junctions safer for cyclists. The laws around mobiles are ignored, it is amazing to see how many people are using phones driving, not just phones not uncommon to see laptops being used.

I have been deliberately driven at and threatened for no reason in London more than once.

But it has to be said that cyclists are a nightmare, so many think they kno it all. I've long since stopped pointing (politely) out to people how dangerous a manouvre is. The resonse at best indifference, at worst abuse. There is free ctycle training available but few people utilise it. Riding in traffic, riding junctions like old street roundabout or elephant and castle takes experience, skill and courage. To be honest it amazes me that the casualty rates are so comparitively low.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"I just ride my bike on the downhill mountain bike tracks here in Spain , alot less dangerous than mixing it with spanish drivers, but to be fair there alot more considerate than British motorists"

I was out in Andalucia last October with Ciclo Montana, based around the Trevelez Gorge. Some fantastic trails out there - the Lanajon (sp?) run is fantastic! Can't wait to get back for another crack at the Elephants Tail as well.

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

I did a Driver's Awareness Course last year and, if I remember the information correctly, under the Magna Carter pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists have right of way on highways over motorcars.

And yes, I do know that bicycles weren't invented in 1297. It's just that the law hasn't been updated but interpreted to mean any non-motorised vehicle. However the nice ex-Police Officer running the course did say that if anyone decided to walk down the middle of the M25 then they would get a nice ride in a Police van.

over a year ago

Both cyclists and users of 'obeseycles' should have to have third party insurance for any damage they do to person or property including cars etc.

XXXX

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"Both cyclists and users of 'obeseycles' should have to have third party insurance for any damage they do to person or property including cars etc.

XXXX"

I have 3rd party and public liability cover via my home insurance, and i would think that most home insurance policies offer similar cover. Now, what about the million or so plus un-insured drivers?

over a year ago

"Both cyclists and users of 'obeseycles' should have to have third party insurance for any damage they do to person or property including cars etc.

XXXX

I have 3rd party and public liability cover via my home insurance, and i would think that most home insurance policies offer similar cover. Now, what about the million or so plus un-insured drivers? "

Yes I too am covered by my household insurance and also by the membership I pay for as part of my race licence. The insurance argument is ridiculously flawed.

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

i do try and give cyclists the benefit of the doubt; most are sensible.

over a year ago

should be less cars on the road and more cyclists, too many lazy fat arses jump in their cars to nip down the road, motorists should be more aware of cyclists and as for taking a theory and cycle test tosh!!!

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"i do try and give cyclists the benefit of the doubt; most are sensible. "

As are the majority of motorists. Unfortunately an idiotic cyclist is mainly a danger to himself, an idiotic motorist is a danger to everyone around him

over a year ago

"i do try and give cyclists the benefit of the doubt; most are sensible.

As are the majority of motorists. Unfortunately an idiotic cyclist is mainly a danger to himself, an idiotic motorist is a danger to everyone around him "

Erm no, an idiotic cyclist can be a danger to everyone around him too!!

over a year ago

XXXX

I have 3rd party and public liability cover via my home insurance, and i would think that most home insurance policies offer similar cover. Now, what about the million or so plus un-insured drivers?

Yes I too am covered by my household insurance and also by the membership I pay for as part of my race licence. The insurance argument is ridiculously flawed."

I have already experienced a run-in with a cyclist who had no insurance whatsoever - it is not ridiculously flawed, just as some drivers don't have insurance nor do some cyclists. And if driver is caught with no insurance he is banned from driving, so should the same thing happen to cyclists.

over a year ago

As are the majority of motorists. Unfortunately an idiotic cyclist is mainly a danger to himself, an idiotic motorist is a danger to everyone around him "

Said idiotic cyclist cost me £375 worth of damage when the arsehole ploughed straight into my parked car with NO brakes on his bicycle

over a year ago

XXXX

I have 3rd party and public liability cover via my home insurance, and i would think that most home insurance policies offer similar cover. Now, what about the million or so plus un-insured drivers? "

And the million or so plus cyclists? They are not all covered, believe you me.

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

I have never quite understand the insurance thing

If a cyclist or car driver causes damage, if they have no insurance sure you can sue them?

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

As are the majority of motorists. Unfortunately an idiotic cyclist is mainly a danger to himself, an idiotic motorist is a danger to everyone around him

Said idiotic cyclist cost me £375 worth of damage when the arsehole ploughed straight into my parked car with NO brakes on his bicycle"

Did you sue him?

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

XXXX

And the million or so plus cyclists? They are not all covered, believe you me."

So how is that different?

over a year ago

"I just ride my bike on the downhill mountain bike tracks here in Spain , alot less dangerous than mixing it with spanish drivers, but to be fair there alot more considerate than British motorists

I was out in Andalucia last October with Ciclo Montana, based around the Trevelez Gorge. Some fantastic trails out there - the Lanajon (sp?) run is fantastic! Can't wait to get back for another crack at the Elephants Tail as well. "

best place for cyclists, off the main roads!!!

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

A cyclist knocked me literally off my feet running through a red light, as I crossed at the crossing. He came off too - mind you, I wasn't wearing a helmet.....

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"I just ride my bike on the downhill mountain bike tracks here in Spain , alot less dangerous than mixing it with spanish drivers, but to be fair there alot more considerate than British motorists

I was out in Andalucia last October with Ciclo Montana, based around the Trevelez Gorge. Some fantastic trails out there - the Lanajon (sp?) run is fantastic! Can't wait to get back for another crack at the Elephants Tail as well.

best place for cyclists, off the main roads!!!"

You sound like the very worst sort of inconsiderate, impatient and downright dangerous motorist. When you finally understand and accept that cyclists have every right to be on the road you might find your day goes better.

The roads are for everyone - pedestrian, equestrian, cyclist and motorist - and in that order.

If you are having problems dealing with cyclists on the roads then you may need to look to your own driving skills rather than blame others.

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

in belgium when i was racing over there all the cyclists had a tax disc on the bikes and we had proper cycle tracks to train on with o parked cars on them and definitly no rubbish or glass bottless flung from the cars to litter the track!,in fact no litter at all on the roadside!,was a whole lot better for cycl8ing so maybe tax disc on bikes is the way forward?,the word road-tax over here is very misleading as it is not really a ROAD TAX at all is it?.

over a year ago

Said idiotic cyclist cost me £375 worth of damage when the arsehole ploughed straight into my parked car with NO brakes on his bicycle

Did you sue him? "

couldn't afford brakes for his bike! what chance do you think i'd have of suing the prick?????

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"in belgium when i was racing over there all the cyclists had a tax disc on the bikes and we had proper cycle tracks to train on with o parked cars on them and definitly no rubbish or glass bottless flung from the cars to litter the track!,in fact no litter at all on the roadside!,was a whole lot better for cycl8ing so maybe tax disc on bikes is the way forward?,the word road-tax over here is very misleading as it is not really a ROAD TAX at all is it?."

Exactly. In the UK vehicles are taxed on the levels of emissions and cycles are a Band A equivalent vehicle and liable for the same amount of tax as a Band A car - £0.00

Any attempt at making cycles pay tax would therefore mean some pretty huge changes at the Inland Revenue and also pee off all those people who bought tax-exempt Band A vehicles, not to mention all those who also drive tax-exempt vehicles.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

Did you sue him?

couldn't afford brakes for his bike! what chance do you think i'd have of suing the prick?????"

I understand its upsetting, but how different is it to having your parked car dinged by a car and the offender simply driving away?

over a year ago

You sound like the very worst sort of inconsiderate, impatient and downright dangerous motorist. When you finally understand and accept that cyclists have every right to be on the road you might find your day goes better.

The roads are for everyone - pedestrian, equestrian, cyclist and motorist - and in that order.

If you are having problems dealing with cyclists on the roads then you may need to look to your own driving skills rather than blame others."

Nope I am a very good driver, I just don't have the patience for the prats that cycle on the roads here. Granted it's not all cyclists, but I have witnessed so much stupidity and received so much verbal abuse from them I am pissed off. I have never received points on my licence and have never done anything to put others at risk - cyclists should be tested and pass a test before they are allowed on the road. Drivers have to, so why don't they? As I said at the start of this thread, why can they just walk into a cycle shop, buy a bike and get on a very busy road? How dangerous is that? Think about it before patronising someone with an opinion.

over a year ago

Did you sue him?

couldn't afford brakes for his bike! what chance do you think i'd have of suing the prick?????

I understand its upsetting, but how different is it to having your parked car dinged by a car and the offender simply driving away?"

didn't say it would be any different but forgive me if i'm wrong thinking this topic was about cyclists

By *amukMan
over a year ago

Betws y Coed

friggin hell didnt realise we got experts on everything on this site im a cyclists

over a year ago

If you are having problems dealing with cyclists on the roads then you may need to look to your own driving skills rather than blame others."

Don't see many pedestrians on the roads round here lol

over a year ago

"Nope I am a very good driver, I just don't have the patience for the prats that cycle on the roads here. Granted it's not all cyclists, but I have witnessed so much stupidity and received so much verbal abuse from them I am pissed off. I have never received points on my licence and have never done anything to put others at risk - cyclists should be tested and pass a test before they are allowed on the road. Drivers have to, so why don't they? As I said at the start of this thread, why can they just walk into a cycle shop, buy a bike and get on a very busy road? How dangerous is that? Think about it before patronising someone with an opinion."

Odd that you talk about patronising someone with an opinion when the basis of your argument seems to be that you are right without even considering alternative viewpoints.

Incidentally I doubt that that many people truly believe that impatient motorists are good ones.

over a year ago

I did pass a test for riding on the road although I was about 9 years old and it was called the Cyling Proficiency , was 30 odd years ago now !

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

Did you sue him?

I understand its upsetting, but how different is it to having your parked car dinged by a car and the offender simply driving away?

didn't say it would be any different but forgive me if i'm wrong thinking this topic was about cyclists"

You are right of course but cyclists are not a special case, the laws are the same about damge to property whether motorist or cyclist. I would have sued him for the damage myself, regardless of how crappy his bike was - if he had been driving a crappy and dangerous car would you have let him off? I've only had one incident in over 25yrs of riding on the roads and the driver admitted liability there and then and paid for my bike rather than having his insurance notified. As i wasn't too injured i accepted his offer.

over a year ago

"should be less cars on the road and more cyclists, too many lazy fat arses jump in their cars to nip down the road, motorists should be more aware of cyclists and as for taking a theory and cycle test tosh!!! "

why is it.. I had to take a theory test even though I had a car test to ride a motorcycle.

Even to ride a small bike you have to take a cbt. It is basic training.. and I think cyclists should have to have it to.

If they are on the roads they should LEARN.

I am well aware of cyclists and give them a wide birth.. doesnt stop the fact I have had two kids hit by cyclists that didnt seem to think that zebra crossings dont apply to them.

Cali

By *littylikka69Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

"I did pass a test for riding on the road although I was about 9 years old and it was called the Cyling Proficiency , was 30 odd years ago now !"

i can still rember doing mine during half term holiday on my straight handlebar bike with just a single freewheel,no gears at all for me in those days got a choice of 18 gears nowdays!.

over a year ago

Did you sue him?

didn't say it would be any different but forgive me if i'm wrong thinking this topic was about cyclists

You are right of course but cyclists are not a special case, the laws are the same about damge to property whether motorist or cyclist. I would have sued him for the damage myself, regardless of how crappy his bike was - if he had been driving a crappy and dangerous car would you have let him off? I've only had one incident in over 25yrs of riding on the roads and the driver admitted liability there and then and paid for my bike rather than having his insurance notified. As i wasn't too injured i accepted his offer."

Just my personal view " i detest cyclists" albeit due to the fault of one! just as you probably detest motorists due to your experience! enough said...

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

Did you sue him?

You are right of course but cyclists are not a special case, the laws are the same about damge to property whether motorist or cyclist. I would have sued him for the damage myself, regardless of how crappy his bike was - if he had been driving a crappy and dangerous car would you have let him off? I've only had one incident in over 25yrs of riding on the roads and the driver admitted liability there and then and paid for my bike rather than having his insurance notified. As i wasn't too injured i accepted his offer.

Just my personal view " i detest cyclists" albeit due to the fault of one! just as you probably detest motorists due to your experience! enough said..."

Nope, i don't 'detest' motorists because the great majority are decent and capable of being in charge of a ton of metal. I do think that some are simply too incapable and dangerous to be on the road due to their impatience and ignorance of the rights and safety of other road users. That goes for all road users though.

over a year ago

Did you sue him?

Just my personal view " i detest cyclists" albeit due to the fault of one! just as you probably detest motorists due to your experience! enough said..."

Based on thgat logic you must have a lot of hattred in your life. Is this incident the only bad thing to have ever happened to you? Or do you decide to detest huge sections of society based on an individuals actions?

over a year ago

Did you sue him?

Just my personal view " i detest cyclists" albeit due to the fault of one! just as you probably detest motorists due to your experience! enough said...

Based on thgat logic you must have a lot of hattred in your life. Is this incident the only bad thing to have ever happened to you? Or do you decide to detest huge sections of society based on an individuals actions?"

just cyclists

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

I hate idiotic cyclists (love the sensible ones)

The policeman at the roundabout by Cheltenham Racecourse today now hates the one that rode straight over the roundabout, made a bus do an emergency stop, nearly sent 3 pedestrians flying and caused a limo to actually mount the kerb just to avoid him.

No tax, no ID and no way of knowing who the hell he was, and the fecker just rode off down the hill. By the time the policeman had got in his car and gone after him, he'd long gone into one of the side streets.

Make all cyclists pass a test and give them a licence.

But to do that, we'd need more police to traffic the roads and get the nutters off!

Seriously, is it only Cheltenham where cyclists don't stop for lights, roundabouts, ride 3 or 4 abreast and try to kill the motorists?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I hate idiotic cyclists (love the sensible ones)

The policeman at the roundabout by Cheltenham Racecourse today now hates the one that rode straight over the roundabout, made a bus do an emergency stop, nearly sent 3 pedestrians flying and caused a limo to actually mount the kerb just to avoid him.

No tax, no ID and no way of knowing who the hell he was, and the fecker just rode off down the hill. By the time the policeman had got in his car and gone after him, he'd long gone into one of the side streets.

Make all cyclists pass a test and give them a licence.

But to do that, we'd need more police to traffic the roads and get the nutters off!

Seriously, is it only Cheltenham where cyclists don't stop for lights, roundabouts, ride 3 or 4 abreast and try to kill the motorists?"

you should move to Oxford

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

3 abreast is illegal, 2 abreast is perfectly fine.

For those who don't understand the reasoning why cyclists ride 'two-up' is thus..

On a single carriageway road a group of 4/5/6 or more riders in single file create a long thin obstacle, if a car starts an overtake and, halfway along the chain an oncoming vehicle appears the temptation is to pull back into the lane, potentially into the chain of riders. This is obviously very dangerous to the cyclists.

Therefore, riding 'two-up' creates a compact but wider profile similar to that of a car. Now, considering that a group of road riders can easily be moving along at 20+mph this is a lot easier to overtake quickly and safely, think of overtaking a tractor rather than a string of horses.

The reason is safety, unfortunately too many drivers (as evidenced by the above postings) are ignorant of the reasons for this and take umbrage at cyclists 'taking up our roads' and get all hot and bothered and then attempt stupid and dangerous manoevres.

As for the comments about tax etc, we've been through that and it's not worth reiterating.

over a year ago

I've had one under the back wheels of a lorry I was driving I now work in an office

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

"you should move to Oxford "

I used to drive to Brize and Bicester regularly

I take a driver now otherwise I'd be driving with my eyes shut.

over a year ago

evesham

"should be less cars on the road and more cyclists, too many lazy fat arses jump in their cars to nip down the road, motorists should be more aware of cyclists and as for taking a theory and cycle test tosh!!! "

I take neither of you drive then? Or are you dome of the permitted car owners you would allow?

Post new Message to Thread